The Old Synagogue and the Hairy Heart

The old synagogue was small and wooden, squashed between two more modern buildings of a nondescript nature - dull cement apartment blocks that dated back to the 1950s. Inside, it smelled of old books and dust. The light was murky, filtering in from a few windows high in the back wall, above the platform where the services were held. It was almost like being underwater, Remus thought, as they entered the dark, echoey space cautiously. There was a second platform, in the middle of the room, for reading the Torah. Low shelves lined the room, filled with prayer books. The benches were upholstered in ancient red velvet.

A door toward the back, beside the platform, creaked open. A stooped old man emerged slowly. He was tall and walked with a cane. He shuffled down the aisle to meet them.

"I have received your owl," he said in greeting. His accent was thickly eastern european. He looked over the two men in front of him. He extended a hand to Sev. "The son of Tobias Snape," he said in a gruff voice with a bit of a wheeze in it. His dark eyes were keen under his heavy brow.

"Yes," said Sev, looking at the old man steadily. "My name is Severus Snape, and this is my partner, Remus Lupin." Remus wondered briefly, if he meant partner as in partner in crime or partner as in boyfriend, but he was a bit too anxious to give the matter much attention. This was important. They had to get somewhere with this man, or they were going to get nowhere at all.

The old rabbi gave Remus an appraising look, then extended his hand slowly. It was cold and covered with brown spots.

"We have met before," he said to Remus. "Years ago. You were sent to arrange a meeting with me and your leader, Albus Dumbledore."

"Yes," said Remus. "I remember."

"I am Reb Eleazar Zussman," he said. "Welcome to Temple Kesem Shalom, Britain's only magical synagogue. Follow me." He led them back, behind the Bima, to a small dusty study, crowded with books. Portraits of old men, looking remarkably like their present company, were hung from the strip of wall between the top of the bookshelves and the ceiling. They snoozed in their frames with the exception of one fellow above the door, who stared down at Sev and Remus beadily. A crow in a cage gave a loud harsh caw, then ruffled its feathers and stood still as a statue. A small sneakoscope on the cluttered desk whirred and then went silent.

"Accio gafen," croaked the old man, waving his wand, and a wooden tray with a bottle and three dusty glasses came sailing toward them.

"I have never met you, young man," Reb Eleazar said to Sev, as the wine bottle uncorked itself with a pop and started filling the glasses. "But I knew your father well."

"I.....my mother never wanted me to come with him," said Sev hesitantly, looking down.

"I am aware of the.....controversy in your family," said the rabbi. He lifted an eyebrow and the tray rose from the table and came to a stop in the air beside Remus' left shoulder. He took a glass and tasted the dark red liquid cautiously. It was cloyingly sweet. The tray sailed over to Sev, who also took a glass. He took a sip and winced.

Reb Eleazer himself took a glass and drank with apparent satisfaction. He leaned back and surveyed the two men closely, with eyes that were dark and sunk deep in the ancient folds of his face.

"I know who both of you are, of course. You," he said, turning to Sev, "have risen to a position of great power. Trusted confidante of the Dark Lord, and head of Hogwarts, the position held by my old friend, Albus Dumbledore."

"Yes," whispered Sev.

"And you," he said, turning to Remus. "You are a wanted man."

"I am," said Remus.