Made To Believe ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

Diana Mumbi is a beautiful book cafe owner who is a romantic at heart and obsessed with the literary world. F... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five

Chapter One

3.4K 108 8
By LyssahTraicey

DIANA'S POV

I stood in line at the bus stop waiting for people to move forward so that I could get in the bus. It was a little chilly since it was early in the morning but I hadn't bothered with a jacket. I knew that in a few hours it would be sweltering and I didn't want to be lagging a jacket around. The person in front of me swayed on his feet meaning he was either dozing off or drunk. It was on a Monday so I went for drunk as it had been a long weekend because of the Easter holiday. I moved to the side a little bit so that if he were to fall he wouldn't fall on me.

Five minutes later the line finally started moving and I got into the bus. I took a seat behind the driver where I always sat unless it was occupied and opened the window to allow some fresh air in. It didn't help much but it was better than the smell of onions coming from the sack stacked under my seat, probably being transported to the market.

I had the money and driving skills to own a personal car but I lived and worked in the city so getting stuck in traffic on my own was not fun. In the bus I got to experience different things, meet new people if they were kind enough and hear the most hilarious of stories. Sure there were tough times but I'd grown up with three older brothers so I could always handle any situation thrown at me.

The bus filled pretty quickly and the tout started going around collecting fare starting at the back. I straightened my white off shoulder sundress and held my backpack in my lap. It was small but had everything I needed, my Macbook, phone, keys, wallet, my lady emergency necessities and a pocket knife. You could never be too careful, especially with me being a single lady living alone in the city.

"Sasa Dee."The tout greeted when he got to me.

Hello Dee.

I used the same bus each morning so I was familiar with the driver, the tout and a few common daily commuters like me.

"Poa Sana, Johnte. Habari ya asubuhi?"I replied handing him the bus fare.

I'm good, Johnte. How's your morning going?

Since I was the last person he collected money he took the seat next to me which was reserved for him. He either stood or sat depending on if he had to give up his seat for a passenger or not.

"Iko fiti kabisa. Kuhustle kama kawaida."He replied.

It's going great. Just hustling as usual.

I smiled politely as we carried on simple conversation about anything we came up with.

Johnte was a class eight drop out who even though didn't do well in school struggled to provide for himself and his family. The job didn't pay that well but it was better than him sitting at home doing nothing or hanging out with the hopeless doing drugs. The economic situation in our country is terrible so most people had to do with what they could come by. If you didn't have the required certificates you struggled and even if you did you still needed to bribe someone to get a job or know someone in high places.

When people started calling out for the bus to stop, Johnte stood up and resumed his work leaving me to my thoughts. It wasn't a long drive since I lived in an apartment complex in Westlands but worked right in the middle of the central business district. It was a thirty minute drive without traffic and an hour or more if there was.

After a while Johnte tapped my shoulder noticing that I was lost in thought alerting me that my stop was coming by. I stood up, hiked my bag over my shoulder and got closer to the door. Once the bus stopped completely I alighted waving goodbye to Johnte and the driver before waiting for them drive off so I could cross the street. It was illegal but once we became friends they had started dropping me off across from work so I didn't have to walk far.

Finally the road was clear so I crossed and my beautiful baby came to sight. I was the proud owner of a book cafe situated next to a bank on one side and a phone shop on the other. My dad had bought the small building for me after my graduation when I'd told him that I wanted to own a bookstore. He had not been into it at first but I was his little girl and he couldn't say no for very long. He hadn't liked that because I'd just graduated with first class honors with a degree in Finance. He had expected me to take a high end job at one of his friends companies but that's not what I wanted.

My dad was actually responsible for my love of the literal world. When my parents had noticed that I was smarter than the rest of the kids my age as a child they had bought me as many books as I wanted and slowly I'd found my addiction. I'd studied the finance degree to make my parents happy but all I'd ever wanted to do was read books for the rest of my life. It was a far fetched idea but when the old lady of my favorite bookstore told me that she was selling it and moving overseas with her son I'd immediately talked my dad into purchasing it for me. Now I could live my dream for the rest of my life while making a living out of it.

I used my key to get in and the smell of old books, coffee and freshly baked croissants hit my nose. When I'd moved into the building I'd realized that there was a kitchen in the back. I was going tear it down and make the bookstore larger but then I met Salome who talked me into turning it into a book cafe, more like I talked her into it. Our meeting had been one of coincidence but it led to me gaining a best friend, a co-worker and a sister in law all in one person.

I looked around the dusty space thinking about how much more work I had cut out for me. I was not anticipating that I would find a fully furnished but outdated kitchen when I opened the rusty door but that's exactly what happened. I turned away hoping my brother Ashton would be back soon to help me decide what to do. Maybe we could tear the wall down and enlarge the space.

Suddenly the door opened and a disheveled but smartly dressed young woman entered. She was wearing a black pencil skirt with a white blouse and black pumps. Her black blazer was strewn over one hand, the same one that was holding a manila folder. Her eyes looked red with tears but her make up was still perfect and in place, her braids loose from the neat bun they clearly had been in previously. She was about 5'8 in the heels she was wearing so maybe about 5'5 without them. I was 5'6 myself so no much difference.

"I'm sorry we're not open yet."I apologized feeling bad turning her away when she looked like she needed to sit and breath.

I knew I shouldn't have left the sign saying open outside but it had been blocking the entry way when we arrived.

"I'm so sorry, I promise I didn't mean to intrude but I need a cook book and a place to sit down for five minutes. I've been walking all day looking for a job and accidentally left my book in one of the places that I've been to but for the life of me can't remember which one. I've been pushed, threatened, propositioned, seduced and groped. I just want a break."She ranted out ending it with a pleading voice.

I got up from the seat I'd been perched on and offered it to her.

She sat down immediately looking relived to be off her feet placing everything in her hand on the counter. I offered her some water from my bottle which she took gratefully.

"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Salome Mwanza."She said stretching her hand for a handshake.

I took it with a smile "Nice to meet you Salome, I'm Diana. I'm sorry about the day you've had."I sympathized feeling sorry for her.

"It's okay, maybe I should have listened to my mom that a culinary career was a waste of time but I didn't listen. I love to cook and I'm good at it. Too bad all those people today couldn't see it."She continued rambling.

"It's their loss."I consoled and she nodded.

"Well thank you for being the first kind person I've encountered today. You've been a blessing and I'll come back when you've officially opened to get that book."She said getting up and gathering her stuff.

"You're welcome."I replied feeling sad for her.

Just like most of my good ideas mine came late and I had to run after her.

"Salome wait up."I called out barging through the door.

She turned around and retracted her steps towards me.

"Did I forget anything?"

"No but I just got an idea and its up to you whether to take it or not."I started.

"Okay. What's up?"She asked urging me to continue.

"I know we just met but I discovered a kitchen in the back and I was going to tear it down but if you're up for it you can rent it out from me and turn it into a bakery. My book store can become a book cafe."I pitched hoping my idea sounded as good as it was in my head.

Salome launched herself at me in an unexpected hug and we stumbled a few feet back but I was quick to hold us up.

"I love it. I don't even have to think about it. It's literally my dream come true. Thank you so much."She yelped in my ear and I chuckled.

"You're welcome."I assured her.

"What's all the hugging for and can I get some of the action?"My brother Ashton asked and we pulled apart.

Salome got one glance at him and he at her and it was like one of those moments where you know you've met your soulmate.

That had been three years ago and now I worked with my best friend and sister in law. Salome and Ashton had fallen in love fast and I'd totally shipped them. They had been married within a year and Salome got pregnant a year later. Nine months later I had a nephew called Oliver who I liked spoiling rotten.

"Good morning Sal."I greeted cheerfully entering the kitchen.

I pecked her flour coated cheek before moving to the covered bassinet where Oliver was sleeping soundly. Salome had to get in early to start with her baking and since our job was flexible she brought Oliver with her. He was the perfect baby and rarely ever made a fuss unless he was really irritated or hungry. He was his dads carbon copy and had the clearest dark eyes I'd ever seen.

"Morning Dee. There's fresh coffee and a batch of those chocolate muffins you like."She informed me.

Oliver was immediately forgotten as I dropped my bag and embarked on breakfast.

Salome laughed at my behavior but I just shrugged her off. I rarely ever had breakfast at my place. Why bother when Salome was more than capable of feeding me each morning?

"Slow down tiger or you'll get a stomach ache."Salome warned as I polished off the third muffin.

"Shut up."I replied draining my mug and rinsing it in the sink.

"I should start charging you."She threatened with a hint of a smile in her voice.

"And I'll start making you pay rent."I retorted.

"Low blow Dee. Low blow."She lamented making me laugh.

It had seemed weird making family pay rent so after she married Ashton I'd asked Salome to stop. She had argued at first but she'd given in eventually. I was very convincing.

"Need help setting up?"I asked knowing it was still too early to be getting customers.

"Yes please."She replied.

I picked up my bag off the floor leaving her inside walking back to the main area to tidy up. The book cafe was divided into three areas, there was the book store which was full of numerous shelves with books of all kinds, fiction, nonfiction, education, adventure, paranormal, romance, scientific, you name it and I probably had it. Then there were the tables and chairs where one could use to read or just sit to have coffee and a baked good. Salome's section was the last which was just a couple of glass displays and shelves for all her goods.

I started by clearing out anything that may have gone bad over the weekend when we weren't open and replacing it with everything fresh that Salome had baked. I wiped the tables and when the traffic on the sidewalks started getting heavy I opened the door and flipped the sign to open. We only served tea, coffee, fresh juice and baked goods so it was no place so start ordering eggs and bacon.

Sometime later a whistling and happy looking Sophia sauntered in like she owned the place. Sophia was a nineteen year old college drop out and Salome's cousin who was helping us out. Salome took her in because her family tossed her away when she dropped out of law school. Sophia didn't want to be a lawyer, she wanted to be a dj and was saving up enough cash to take a course on the venture. I totally supported her and offered to help her out but she declined wanting to be independent and I admired that about her.

"Morning Dee."She greeted in a sing song voice her headphones blasting music from around her neck.

She was good at what she did, just needed a little polishing up to be great at her trade.

"Morning Soph, a little late today are we?"I scolded teasingly and she smiled.

"Had a gig last night, nothing major, poor pay but great practice and it ended pretty late, sorry."She explained.

"It's okay just get in there before she starts cussing."I said referring to Salome.

Sophia laughed before walking into the kitchen. She got a scolding for being late but it's not like Salome could fire her. She hired Sophia when Oliver was two months old when she realized she needed extra help. Business was also picking up and so she couldn't be both in the kitchen and serving customers.

Since Sophia had arrived I took my seat behind the counter, grabbed the book I'd abandoned on my desk and got lost in the literal world bad boys and mafia romance. I only paused my reading when someone needed help finding a book or when someone was paying. Mondays were quiet on my end but for Salome and Sophia it was always busy. It had been hard running two separate business as one but we'd managed to find our flow which worked perfectly for three years where we were both happy and satisfied.

For lunch Salome made us grilled sandwiches and fresh apple juice. Afterwards I treated myself to a slice of red velvet cake for dessert. Oliver became fussy in the afternoon so I took him from his mom and read him a book. I had to switch to Winnie the Pooh because there is no way I was going to read erotica or blood, guns and violence to my one year old nephew.

It had been a pretty uneventful day until it came time for me to close up. Oliver and Salome were picked up by Ashton at five pm as he went home from work and I usually closed at six. I didn't like going back to my apartment too early, it got lonely a lot. Sophia had also left so it was just me locking up when there was a knock on the door. I'd already changed the sign to closed but the lights were still on and I was making quite a ruckus with the chairs and tables so there was no mistaking that I was in there.

I was going to ignore it but they kept insistently knocking.

"I just need one book please."The male voice pleaded speaking up for the first time and I felt my heart soften.

I thought they wanted coffee or a baked good but he needed a book so I put the chair I was holding down and trudged to the door opening it. What hit me first was the strong scent of engine oil before he spoke and his deep raspy voice reached my ears.

"I'm really sorry to bother you but the light was on and I can't go home without that book tonight or a little girl somewhere will be very mad at me."He explained.

His voice was rich and deep like that of someone who smoked regularly. My eyes looked up the broad body hidden under grease covered coveralls to meet his brown eyes. I stepped back to get a good look at him and my eyes immediately light up with recognition. It had been years since I'd seen him but I could not never forget the curly mop of hair that had made me think of cheating on my ex boyfriend once upon a time.

He was taller than I remembered, so much taller, like a foot taller than me making him about 6'5. He had a full beard and sideburns that connected to the full mop of curly hair. Unruly curls fell over his face but he'd shaved off the sides making him look more alluring. His veiny large hands were covered with grease and I could see some patches on his olive skin tone.

He cleared his voice and I jumped back embarrassed that I'd been caught staring.

"I'm sorry what book did you want?"I asked my breath coming out all needy and squeaky.

"I'm sorry I look like a mess, I didn't have time to clean up after work. I need the first book of the Harry Potter series. I've been looking all over the city for it and my friend told me I could find it here."He explained.

I nodded my heart swelling with an unknown emotion when he mentioned the book. It was a childhood favorite of mine.

"I do have it, yes."I replied correct grammar flying out the window as I spoke to him.

I looked into his eyes hoping for a hint of recognition but he looked at me like a stranger would to another making my heart fall. Years later he still looked at me like he didn't know me and even though it shouldn't have, it hurt.

"Can I have it please?"He requested and I realized that I had zoned out again.

I nodded and turned around leading him to the section where the book was shelved. Even though my heart was sad that he didn't recognize me one thought kept running through my mind.

Kareem Najib was in my bookstore.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

I present Diana Mumbi ladies and gentlemen, our female MC. What do we think of her so far?

The chapter was a little long, I apologize but I had a lot to say.

I hope you enjoyed it and are anticipating the next chapter.

Vote. Comment. Share.

Love@Lyssah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 660 22
Summer Brinkley is thrilled to be promoted to a job in California, where her best friend from college lives. She is sad to find out Dana won't be the...
271K 9.7K 32
Miles Rivera wants nothing except to graduate high school. Having two younger siblings, he's taken over as being the man of the house. Helping with t...
3.6K 263 46
Killian had been away in California for two long years, but now he was back in his hometown of Nevada. His best friend Bree was about to start her...
107K 2.2K 27
" they'll know we're faking if I'm not kissing or touching my girlfriend, dumbass " - Miles and Diana. Two best friends ever since child's legs. Wit...