The Dark Crystal: Sifan Charms

By DCLGalloway

Set two years before the events of Age of Resistance, this tale centers around Tavra & Onica's adventures wit... More

ACT I
ACT II
ACT IV
ACT V
ACT VI
ACT VII
ACT VIII
Act IX
Act X
ACT XI
ACT XII
ACT XIII
ACT XIV

ACT III

231 57 17
By DCLGalloway

Enter Omerya's Lantern! The Mysterious Hero Appears! 

By the time darkness had blanketed the coasts of the Silver Sea once again, the celebrations which had lasted for most of the day continued on deep into the night. For hours after the burning of Athyra's ship, all of the pubs, food stops and even the little shops selling potions and herbs were completely out of stock, now consumed by the enamored Sifan culture, now wandering the streets in drunken stupors. Joy was the music of the night. Singing, cheering, dancing, even Sifan pirates blowing fire and juggling huge, spiked sea shells. Musicians played on special Spriton lyres, flutes called out with swift, sweet melodies, and the air was thick with the pungent smells of roasting food and hundreds of different kinds of incense. The smoke wafting through the breeze clouded the stars high above.

Near the shoreline, along the outskirts of one of the many tents shops, Tavra, Onica and Tae walked briskly down the sandy shores, doing their best to observe the party from a far. After all, they had already spent several hours making their way through the celebrations long before the crowds arrived, on the advice of Onica. She knew how crazed these mobs of joyous sailors could be, and to the relief of both Tavra and Tae, she instead suggested they take a more peaceful route to their destination for the night: a well known Sifan tavern know as Omerya's Lantern. 

As Onica and Tavra walked together, with Onica playfully guiding her away from small sand holes she could easily fall into, Tae was leading the way with purpose.

"Tae, slow down a bit!" Onica called out to her. 

Tae turned around quickly and halted herself. "Sorry," she said. "I'm just so excited!"

"Where are you leading us tonight?" Tavra inquired. "I thought we were to set out on our adventure today."

"We have to meet our captain first?" Tae stuck out a finger to the air. 

"Our Captain?" Tavra repeated. "Well, what are we doing out here wandering o the shores then?"

"We're going to Omerya's Lantern!" Tae stated with an exceptional grin. 

"You can't be serious," Onica replied. She knew that name well. It was quite possibly the most popular pub and tavern along the entire coast line. Built from a repurposed antique ship, which was once part of Omerya-Staba, it was a well known spot for the most hardy, tough and salty sailors the Sifa had to offer. But over the years, it had built a nefarious reputation, corrupting the public view of the establishment. It was now considered the best spot to find pirates. Wicked pirates.

"Of course I'm serious," Tae continued. "That's why I'm so excited! I've never been--have you??" she asked.

Onica waved a dismissive hand. "Never, and I wouldn't want to!" She protested.

"I'm not sure I understand," Tavra interjected, walking between them. "Is it really so important to meet this captain here? Why not meet elsewhere."

"Because she has called for us," Tae said with swelling pride. "And I'm not going to turn down an invitation from the one who saved my life." With that, she shot both of them a sharp expression, then threw up a flap of tent behind her, walking inside the establishment. 

Tavra and Onica looked at each other, subtly shocked.  Tavra began to understand things were not as they appeared to be, and her adventure was becoming more interesting every moment.

As the three of them entered into the tavern, they were immediately struck by the aesthetic of the interior. The smell of dank mead, loud patrons, and dim lights carried by weak candles around the dark walls. It appeared to be a repurposed old ship, turned upside down, with the bent and fraying ribs of the frame enclosing overhead like fingers clasping around them. Old sail cloths and ropes dangled from rafters; a collection of decorative memories and sigils of honor. And carved into the wooden walls were knife-drawn symbols of good fortune, etched eternally beside various banners and dusty flags of all colors.  

Omerya's Lantern was so named because of it's history. Many trine ago, it was once part of Omerya-Staba, the Sifa's home tree. Although made from coral, the giant ship also housed sections of random ship parts, utilized for storage, extra sleeping quarters, and sometimes even prison. In fact, before it had been removed from the great coral ship, it was used for this very purpose. And whether by irony or fate, many of the pirates here tonight were actually former prisoners of this very establishment. 

The celebrations taking the streets outside were dwarfed in comparison to the insanity inside this place. Men laughed and cheered so loudly the pillars holding up the tent parts shook. Ale and rum flowed so freely, each glass filled the other's with endless clanking and smashing together. Wild shouts of victory, and fighting songs which spoke of history new and old rang out from every direction. Ever corner of this place was alive with activity. Tavra even had to grab Tae and pull her back, saving her from a giant, harry man falling backwards onto the floor.  When his friends had yanked him back to his feet again, she determined it was safe to proceed once more.

"No matter the cause, I am beginning to doubt out purpose here." Tavra remarked, keeping and eye out for any more mischievous behavior. 

"And this is why I never come here!" Onica added, involuntarily lowering her head as if attempting to remain unseen.

Tae, however, was having too much fun. "Oh, come now!" she sang out. "This is really something isn't it?" she shook Onica's arm. "I've never seen a place so lively!" She jumped with joy, her thick hair bouncing on her shoulders. "This is Sifan pride!" She declared, throwing her hands in the air and releasing a loud cry of excitement across the bar. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she suddenly caught sight of a familiar face sitting near the back of the room, surrounded by a crew of gruff pirates dressed in black and purple. It was her. 

Tae turned back to Onica and grabbed her shoulder. "Onica--there, look!" she motioned in the direction of the woman she had sighted. "It's her," she smiled. 

Tavra stepped forward to get a better look, immediately recognizing her. It was Athyra; champion of the day's events. The hero. "She is the one we have come to see?" Tavra asked, her brow wrinkled with concern. 

"Our captain." Tae smiled more brightly then Tavra had ever seen. It was clear to her that this was very important. The resolve in her eyes was all she needed to see to understand that. "Come, let's go!" Tae stepped forward again and began to stride quickly through the crowds of dirty sailors. "She has called for us--" 

CRACK!

Tae's sweet, innocent voice was abruptly stopped by hard wooden mug, flying across the room with such speed it was almost unseen. After the impact, she grabbed her head and fell to the floor, as ale from passing glasses spilled into her hair. 

"Tae!" Tavra and Onica called out in unison, both rushing forward to clear people away from her. But just before they reached her, they were stopped by the sight of Athyra, who was now standing over Tae with her arms crossed. The pirates and sailors around her backed away, as if a wolf had entered a den of deer.

For a brief moment, Athyra shook her head as if disappointed, contemplating the situation. It seemed as though she was simply observing to pitty, which caused Tavra to step forward and help her. But she was stopped by Onica's arm across her chest. Tavra protested at first, but Onica held her in place. Slowly but surely, Athyra uncrossed her arms and bent down beside Tae. She slipped a weathered hand under Tae's back and helped her to rise to a seated position. 

"Having fun tonight, little one?" Athyra spoke in a low roar. Tae rubbed her hair, shook her head and tried to unblur her eyes so that she could see the voice. When Athyra's face finally became clear, Tae jumped and froze in place. Athyra was mildly amused by this, and let a shy smirk escape her face. "It's alright," she reassured. "Can you stand?" 

Tae nodded vigorously, attempting to hide her embarrassment with sudden strength. "Yes, yes! I'm fine. Thank you." She leapt to a standing position. 

Athyra smiled and studied her with cold, black eyes. Tae couldn't bring herself to make direct contact. "Barkeep!" she called out to the drink tender. "Bring me a cloth of ice." 

"Aye, captain!" He called back to her. 

Athyra placed her hand on Tae's back, and with surprising strength led her away from the crowd, directing her, Tavra and Onica in the direction of her crew, who were still seated and watching from the back of the room.  

After what seemed like ages of intense observation by the other patrons, the three finally arrived at what appeared to be Athyra's special section of this establishment. She ushered them directly into the middle of her crew, who all remained silent and staring, like animals waiting to be fed. As Tavra met eyes with each one of them, she could sense the experience and history each held. A warrior's intuition perhaps; the gift to see all scars of battle, even if they remain hidden. Every member of this crew was unique, special, or blessed with some rare gift, and this was displayed outwardly through their worn, exotic, and sometimes eccentric dress. 

Athyra sat Tae down on an empty stool at the corner of the counter, then leaned herself up against the bar with an elbow propping up her body. With grace, she lifted her tattered hand and stuck out two fingers in Tae's face. "Twice I have saved you now. Just today." Her smiled faded into a grimace as she raised her eyebrows. 

Tae let out a nervous chuckle. "Yes, and so you have. I was hoping to thank you for it eventually, but not under these circumstances." The barkeep arrived with a cloth full of ice and placed it down beside her. Tae grabbed it and placed it on the side of her head carefully. 

Athyra smiled again, more warmly then before. "Nothing you ever plan on ever turns out the way you planned, does it?"

"No, I suppose not," Tae shrugged. 

"And that is your lesson for today," Athyra concluded, keeping her eyes locked on Tae. Tavra could feel an aura of maturity, wisdom and power emanating from her in this moment. She respected that. 

"Among many others, I'm sure," Onica chimed in. Athyra had almost forgotten about them, lost in thought, and turned to both Onica and Tavra with a whip of her violet colored scarf-cape.

"Onica..." she stated her presence rather than greeting it. "Is that you?"

"As far as I know," she replied playfully. 

Athyra walked over to her with a gust of wind, placing a hand on her arm. "I have not seen you in ages!"

"It has been a long time," Onica smiled. 

"When was the last we met?"

Onica thought for brief moment. "The hooyim races. Three trine ago."

"Yes," Athyra wandered into a pool of memories. "Yes, that's right. So many stark memories which still haunt me to this day."

Onica nodded once. "I'm sure, no doubt, we will reminisce of them all before the night is through."

"Indeed," Athyra agreed. "And here I am needing your help once more." She added.

"But how exactly, if I may ask?" Onica wondered.

"Yes, please tell us!" Tae chimed in, standing as tall and proud as she could. "Allow me to make up for my foolishness by serving!" She suddenly came to life again, throwing the cloth of ice down to the counter.

Athyra turned back toward her. She lifted her hand an grabbed the back her neck, the cuts and cracks running through them were almost as sharp as coral on Tae's smooth skin. "You, are going home." she instructed. 

Tae was stunned by this. Disappointed. "Home?! No, I can't! I'm coming with you."

"Tae, listen tome very carefully," a shadow overcame her, calming and frightening Tae simultaneously. "You are a brave sailor. One of the bravest I know," Tae's eyes were already welling again. "And one day, you will sail with me. You will." she shook her head to cement the notion firmly into her. "But not today. And not tomorrow." 

"I..." was all Tae could reply through her whimpers, looking at the floor. 

Athyra lifted her face to hers again. "One day," she continued, "you will be strong enough to sail with me. I know that. But in these times--in these days, the ocean will eat you alive," her expression was severe and sullen. "It will swallow you in every way you can imagine. And some you cannot. It will take from you your existence as a Sifa. How will you be able to serve me if you rush to death?" she motioned to the rest of her crew behind her, still silent and looking on respectfully. "Do you see these souls behind you?" Tae nodded. "They are all that remain. The rest sleep in the sea..." her voice trailed as emotions flooded her mind. "...Because I did not stop them." She gazed into the ether. 

Tae nodded again solemnly, understanding the knowledge she was attempting to teach. Tae knew very well that Sifan culture was not for fun. It was not a game. It was chosen life style, with lessons and masters. And if you chose not to listen to the tales of the waves, to the teachings of those who had gone so far before you, you were not worthy of being a sailor. 

"Now go home, Tae." Athyra said with a firm finality. Tae sucked in a breath, the air shallow and shaky. She dabbed the corners of her eyes with her wrists, determined to erase her feelings, then forcefully held her head high and stomped away from the group toward the exit. 

"Tae, wait!" Onica outstretched her arms to stop her. But to her surprise, Tae did not listen or care, continuing her race to the exit.

"Let her go," Athyra commanded. "Now is her time to think." She crossed her arms again and watched her storm through the exit. 

With a sour, almost disgusted expression, Onica looked between Tae and Athyra. "Well," she began, stepping in front of Athyra. "This was certainly an interesting reunion." 

"All things pass in time," Athyra replied callously. "She will heal from this."

Onica scoffed. "She wouldn't have to heal at all. Why not try blunting your words for once?" 

Athyra swung her body toward her. "You wish to instruct my own methods?"

"Void of emotion is never the answer," Onica placed a hand on her hip. 

Athyra laughed. "What void do you speak of? You call this a void? This is a celebration!" she shouted and raised her hands into the air. Her crew, along with most of the pirates around her erupted in cheers again. Drinks flowed, music sprung to life, stomping feet shook the wooden floorboards, and chatter and conversation filled the air. Onica folded her arms in petulant irritation, while Tavra remained stoic and observant. "This is our time to be merry," Athyra continued. "It should be yours as well. Let the young live through their lessons, let the old and wise have their day."

"That's right!" A grumbled voice shouted from behind them. Tavra and Onica turned toward the sound, realizing with great pain it was the infamous swoothu trainer. The very same who had sold Onica the untrained creature which had become such a burden. She was not prepared for another confrontation. "Today is day for you!" he stumbled between them pointing in Athyra's direction, clearly very intoxicated, drenched in sweat and Sifan rum. "All of Sifan Coast, celebrate her today! And what--you try to ruin because of silly little girl?" 

"Ah, the famous swoothu trainer." Tavra stated dryly. 

He brushed past them and continued his drunken speech of appreciation to Athyra. "What you do--so magic! So...hero." He shook a meaty fist in her face.

"I am charmed," Athyra replied passively.  

"Like when you lit the ship on fire in front of everyone!" One of Athyra's crew members jumped to his feet and raised his glass in the air. "That was the best! So amazing!" The rest of her crew cheered wildly, stomping their feet and banging their hands on the tables. She observed them and smiled. 

"The best!" the swoothu trainer added. He lifted his trembling hands and placed two thumbs upright, although because of his altered state, he seemed to be pointing at the door.

Athyra clapped at him. "Very good, sir. Now go get me a drink." She commanded with a shift of her head. The swoothu trainer bowed once, then stumbled past her and up to the counter.

Onica approached her again with a very concerned expression. "That man is a part of your crew?" she gestured to him. "You turn Tae away, yet employ such a nuisance?"  

Athyra shook her head. "That man is not a part of my crew. Although he thinks he is. Which makes it much easier to attain the things I need from him." As soon she finished the sentence, the man suddenly collapsed to the floor in a heap, covered in broken glass and ale, snoring as if he had been asleep for days. Without thought, several members of Athyra's crew surrounded him and began to pick his pockets. "...And as you can see, he takes care of himself." she concluded. 

Onica watched with keen interest as the events unfolded, suddenly feeling the urge to remove herself from this situation "May we talk now?" she asked. 

Athyra studied their faces, as if attempting to communicate her thoughts. "Come, follow me to some place more quiet." she finally replied. 

ACT 4 OUT NEXT MONTH! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 2 13
Welcome to the known world of The Nine Oceans! Watch out for pirates, prophecies, bandits and politics. Please, don't concern yourself with what live...
1.6M 61.1K 45
This story is being republished on wattpad! The whole series in already on Amazon and Smashwords! Enjoy :D A chain and a collar can imprison a noblem...
3.9K 278 38
In the Caribbean Sea during the fall of 1674, the tides have picked up and the sea calls for those who actively listen for its beckoning song. Aimee...
733 23 26
🩸Corintha Dorem has been taken, torn away from all she loves to be used for the mad schemes of Drake Norzem. Now her friends must set off on a darin...