Midnight Birdsong [Dreamnotf...

By _dreamnotfound

George is hopelessly in love with Clay, but he doesn't know how to express his feelings. Clay is concerned an... More

Chapter 1- HELPP
Chapter 2: The Bird
Chapter 3: Shivers and stars
Chapter 4: School Days
Chapter 5: I hate Mondays
Chapter 6: Destiny
Chapter 7: A Bad Sleepover
Chapter 8: What?
Chapter 9: F
Chapter 10: Late Night Feelings
Chapter 11: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 12: patches
Chapter 13: Subtle
Chapter 14: Puzzles
Chapter 15: Git Good
Chapter 16: Stranger Things
Chapter 17: Surface Tension
Chapter 18: Prep
Chapter 19: Game Time, Baby
Chapter 20: He shoots...
Chapter 21: Fermented Apples in a Cup
Chapter 22: Furry Udders
Chapter 23: Don't Dream It's Over
Chapter 24: Cheese Puffs
Chapter 25: Standing Ovation
Chapter 26: Tone Change
Chapter 27: Ow
Chapter 28: Absent
Readers Oneshots?
Chapter 29: Mystery
Chapter 30: Nice People
Chapter 31: Something Something Mess
Chapter 32: ...he Scores
Chapter 34: Secrets
Chapter 35: Give Us Answers
Chapter 36: Misery Fell
Chapter 37: Mondays Are the Worst
Chapter 38: Tuesdays Are Better
Chapter 39: Have Patience
Chapter 40: The End?
Epilogue and Sequel
Twisted

Chapter 33: Mistakes

53.6K 1.8K 4.8K
By _dreamnotfound

Clay came to school Monday hopeless.

It had been a depressing weekend. No news of George. Also Clay had been scolded by the coach for daydreaming "at the most important time in the game, thank god Techno was there to save the team when you were off in la-la-land."
Not that Clay had even been listening to him that much. He was still thinking about George.

He didn't know much about missing person cases, but he figured it didn't look good if a week went by with no contact or evidence or anything.

Well technically the broken phone was evidence, but evidence of what?
When he and Sapnap brought it to the police station and told them it went with the missing person's case, he didn't know what they were talking about. Apparently whoever took the worried phone calls from Clay and George's mom and dad just wrote it down on a notepad in the lounge and no one else had looked at it. They hadn't even sent out a search party. When Sapnap insisted they use the phone and try to find fingerprints or something the guy took it and sighed, "yeah sure but I don't think we'll get to it for awhile. The hardworking folks here are very busy working on actual cases."
Then Clay had to cover Sapnap's mouth from shouting what case could be more important and that it's such a small-ass town those lazy fucks are just sitting around most of the time and they should get off their asses and start investigating George's case.

Clay thanked the man for his time and quickly escorted Sapnap outside before he blew up in frustration and yelled all the way home about incompetence.
Clay just sat in the passenger's seat of Sapnap's car and kept quiet.
He was shocked that they didn't care. He has assumed the police would be doing their job since it was their responsibility after they were informed of something going wrong. He had never stopped to consider that they ignored their calls or didn't care to dust the evidence for prints.
It was their responsibility to uphold the law right? He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that not everyone is as honest and moral and hardworking as they're supposed to be.

Little did he know his town's police had taken their jobs on the assumption it would be easy in a town with little-to-no crime. Now that they had a case they shrugged and decided it would work itself out, it was easier for them that way.

Eventually it had sunk in to Clay that he wouldn't get any help finding George besides what he did himself.
He was already riding his bike around as much as possible, but he started looking more and more.
The more he looked, the more desperate he got to find a clue, and the more he thought he saw George. Riding around town played tricks on his ears and he thought he heard George once or twice calling out, but always when Clay stopped and listened it was nothing. Riding through the woods he would see him behind a tree, but go look and there was nothing there.
It was like George was haunting him.

Then at the game, a week after Clay last saw him, he showed up again. But it was some other brunette in a blue shirt.
And Clay had almost fallen apart at the last disappointment.
He spent every hour possible that weekend on his bike, searching.

Now it was up to him, and only him, to find George.
And you're doing a terrible job.
I just don't know why he won't come back.
You think if you love him once he's gone then he'll just magically appear? You're pathetic.
I am pathetic but at least I'm trying.
Failing.
Shut up.
George hates you.
He said he loved me.
If he loves you, why isn't he here?

Clay had no answer. Why wasn't he there? He couldn't figure it out.

So Monday.
He wandered around school like a lost soul, just waiting to get out and get on his bike again.

Halfway through the morning he decided to try something.
His first meeting with Grian hadn't gone well because Skeppy made him angry, but maybe Grian would be reasonable if Clay tried to talk to him alone.
He knew Grian had a club somewhere around the hallway past the library, so he wandered around looking through doors until he found one that sounded like it had a lot of people inside.

This is probably their club.

Clay took a deep breath and opened the door.
There were a lot more people inside than he expected, almost thirty.
They all went silent.
And looked at him.
And he stopped still.

Clay always froze up when lots of people were staring at him. He hated class presentations and anything like that. The only way he could get through soccer games was by focusing on the game and nothing else; it helped that it was usually easy to lose himself in playing. He could ignore everyone in the crowd and focus.
Here he couldn't.

After a second someone came up to him. He blinked and wrenched his focus from the sea of eyes onto the person in front of him.
It was Grian.

He didn't look mad. He opened the door behind Clay and gestured.
"Let's go outside shall we?"

Clay numbly backed out into the hallway and let out the breath he didn't know he was holding.
Grian came out behind him and everyone inside resumed their chatter like nothing had happened.

Grian noticed Clay had been overwhelmed. "Sorry about them, they can be a bit intimidating. You just caught us by surprise.
I was actually going to find you later today, but you found me first.
Why have you come here now?"

Clay swallowed his nervousness, Grian seemed totally different than he was last time.
His words still rang his Clay's ears, "You made a mistake when you hurt George. Clay's the one one said something. Take your anger out on the one who deserves it."
But present Grian was still waiting for an answer.

Clay opened his mouth, "I- I need your help. I wanted to try and talk to you so you can tell me what you did with- with George back on Halloween."

"Oh!" Grian brightened. "You want to talk instead of fighting?"

"Yeah, I don't want to fight at all."

"Ah whew." Grian sounded really relieved. "That's perfect because I don't either. I was actually going to try and talk with you at lunch and convince you that we could work together."
He changed his tone suddenly. "And also-" his auburn eyes looked right at Clay's forest green ones- "I wanted to apologize for how I acted. I made a mistake."

"Oh no, it's okay. Skeppy shouldn't have pushed you over, Bad was really mad at him about that so be paid for it. And I get that it made you angry."

"It didn't make me angry." Grian sounded surprised.
"I was just surprised. I figured you would ask us about George once I realized he wasn't at school, but I wasn't expecting to be yelled at. It just caught me off guard. Mumbo was angry for sure. Actually that brings up something-
I wasn't apologizing about what I said in the last week, but I am sorry for that too. I was apologizing about what we did at the game Friday. That was my fault and I regret it. I'd actually like to meet with you and your friends at lunch and apologize to all of you for being wrong."

"Um yeah sure but what do you mean what you did Friday? I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"Oh, you- you didn't see us?"

"No, what do you mean?"

"Oh wow that's... almost funny. You know what, I'll just explain at lunch ok?"
Grian moved back and opened the door, but he paused, "Make sure to get your friends and your soccer friend. But- oh wait- please tell Skeppy to let me explain myself before he gets upset. On second thought, tell your soccer friend that too."
Then Grian told him to meet in empty classroom 404 at lunch and disappeared inside, leaving a very confused Clay in the hallway.

That went well I guess.
He didn't argue with me about anything.
What was he talking about at the game though?
Clay was puzzled, but then his mood slowly lifted to excitement.
He wants to talk at lunch.
He wants to explain everything!
I finally have a lead!
This is actually great!

He rushed off to tell Skeppy and Bad and a6d, and he figured the "soccer friend" meant Sapnap.

A few classes later the five of them were walking to the meeting place when Skeppy asked, "Are you sure you want to listen to this guy, Clay?"

Clay nodded but Bad snapped at Skeppy, "I wanted to listen to him at the beginning SKEPPY but you hAd to go in and 'tank it up' with your whole give-us-George-or-I'll-throw-you-through-the-ceiling act."

"I'm just saying he's not as nice as he seems because he hasn't said anything before about where he took George or what he knows," Skeppy said in defense.

"I mean that's a good point but maybe he was ABOUT TO when you pushed him over and started yelling at him." Bad glared at Skeppy.
"I think you should keep your mouth shut at least until he tells us why George ran away. Then you can try your luck beating him up, but I'm not helping you." Bad crossed his arms.

The group started walking upstairs and a6d agreed with him, "Yeah Skeppy maybe you should try not talking once we're in there ok?"

Skeppy sighed dramatically. "Fine, I'll TRY but you guys need to actually have my back this time."

"Of course we have your back Skeppy," Bad said, "We just don't have your big mouth."

Clay actually laughed for the first time in awhile. Skeppy said "HEY" but Bad ignored him and a6d smiled at Clay, glad he was finally feeling a little better.

Sapnap broke in, "So who's this guy giving us information again?"

"His name's Grian-" Clay started.

Sapnap stopped dead in the middle of the staircase.
"GRIAN?"

The others stopped in surprise; Clay was confused.
"Yeah, do you know him?"

"Yeah he was leading a protest against you at the game with a bunch of other people! He's the guy we're going to talk to?! He- he's not a good person, I don't think we should talk to him, man."

But we're so close.
"What do you mean protest against me?"

Sapnap turned to the other three guys. "You guys were there right? You remember seeing a bunch of students from our school move sides during halftime?"

"Honestly I wasn't paying attention," a6d said.

"Yeah I was getting hot dogs with Skeppy at the food stand," Bad shrugged.

"I think I saw that happen but I didn't know what it was about," Skeppy said. "I just heard people talking about it angrily but I figured it was some sports thing."

"OK imma be honest, you guys are all useless." Sapnap turned to Clay and told him about his encounter with Grian and his club and the signs they were holding.

"And you're sure it said 'Down with The Dream?'" Bad asked skeptically.

Sapnap nodded. "Positive."

Clay didn't know how to feel about this.
Why would he protest against me?
He apologized for it already.
He was probably lying.
He seemed genuine.
He could be trapping you somehow.
I need information from him.

"We'll go see what he has to say," Clay decided.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Sapnap asked.

"I'm for hearing him out," a6d said.

"Me too," Bad agreed.

"I don't really wanna listen to him but if you guys let me beat him up after the meeting then I'll come," Skeppy said.

"NO SKEPPY!"

"Then I'm with Sapnap."

"So you don't want to find out about George?"

"OK then I'm with Bad."

"Just come with us Skeppy ffs," a6d said.

"Language!"

Sapnap was tired of them and turned to Clay. "Are you going through with this?"

"Yes. I agreed to talk to him and it's our only lead on George," Clay answered.

"Okay, fine." Sapnap shrugged. "Let's do it."

They continued and finally went into the meeting room. Grian was already there, talking with his tall friend.

He looked up when they all came in. "Oh, good you got them. I'm glad you all came."
"You guys know I'm Grian. Clay, this is Mumbo. Mumbo agreed to resolve his differences with- sorry I don't know your name."

"Sapnap," Sapnap said stiffly.

"With Sapnap. I hope you have enough patience to wait, that goes for you too, Mumbo." Mumbo said nothing, just stood behind Grian.

Grian looked all of them in the face.
"If you guys let me explain myself first and then ask your questions, I think that would work better." He paused for a reply.

Clay looked at the other guys, Bad seemed content and a6d was paying attention, but Skeppy and Sapnap didn't look like they were interested in listening. Clay answered for all of them and gave Grian a silent nod.

"Okay," he said. "I'm sorry there was conflict in the first place. That was because of miscommunication and both of us jumping to conclusions." Grian didn't even seem like he blamed Skeppy, but Bad gave him a look.
Grian continued, "It was also directly my fault for following my own flawed logic and assuming it was right. It seemed right to me at the time. Just to be clear, I wasn't basing my actions off rumors. The way I understood it, at the party Clay had said something to George or did something in between the time he fainted and the time we found him upstairs, and whatever it was really upset George. I was going to try and ask you about it, but since I was less than warmly received by you and your friends, things changed.
Your accusations really hurt me; I would never do anything to George. I would never do anything to hurt anyone, but I thought of George like anyone else in Hermitcraft, as someone I can count on and trust as a close friend."
He paused and rubbed the back of his head. "It seems stupid now, but I thought maybe you were trying to pin it on me, I didn't know any better. But I spoke harshly, and I apologize for that. I was wrong. Um Mumbo, anything to add?"

Mumbo cleared his throat, "Yeah. Skeppy, I am sorry for hurting you; I don't know my own strength sometimes and I was very upset you pushed Grian over. You bruised his arm, and I was angry you shoved him and were yelling at him.
And I'm also sorry for what happened next because that was partly my fault. When Grian and I went back to the other Hermits, I was still furious and got them all riled up against you. Grian was mad at me also because he hates violence, and I know it was wrong. In my defense, I think anyone else in the club would have done the same and would have also done something like that, but anyway- we were all feel protective over Grian and over each other and so most of the Hermits wanted to do something to strike back. Grian was reluctant, but eventually we got him to say we could do a peaceful protest and it would be more focused on George and less on bashing you."
"That's a good point," Grian started again. "I didn't want anyone yelling or distracting you from the game. We were just there holding signs.
Yes, Bdubs made one that said 'Down with The Dream' but I made sure it was the only one and I wasn't even very happy about that. I would rather have just protested this school's very homophobic reaction to George coming out at the Halloween party. I didn't hear that you defended George being gay until later, and I commend you for that. At the protest I wasn't trying to imply that you were homophobic; George always talked about you like you were a nice person. I was unsure about it when we started, but I felt like it was already too late to stop.
Then Sapnap came along and I was sure I had been wrong.
Truth be told, I deserved that punch."

Mumbo interjected, "No, G, you-"
Grian held up a hand to quiet him, "No, Mumbo, I did."
He focused back on Clay and his friends. "I'm sorry. I was ignorant and rash, but if I had a go-again I would do it differently. I'm sorry for messing up the game for you guys and anything else the protest caused.
I was at a really low point after that because I made so many mistakes and led the Hermits the wrong way. I realized that it wasn't in your character, Clay, based on the way George talked about you, to do anything other than let George down easy if you didn't feel the same way. So I must have been wrong when I thought you said something to make him leave; his disappearance was too sudden and drastic for that. I was mad at myself.
But Mumbo helped remind me that I hadn't ruined everything forever and maybe you would still be okay with negotiating and hearing us apologize.
I hope I covered everything." Grian sighed and looked down at the table.
"I wouldn't blame you if you didn't forgive us after all that, but I-"

"-I do," Clay said.

Grian's eyes were big, "You- you do?"

"Yeah, I forgive you." Clay didn't want to fight with anyone.

If George liked Grian enough to be his friend, that's good enough for me.

Grian looked overwhelmed for a second, Mumbo put a hand on his shoulder and said to Clay, "Thank you."

Clay didn't know how to answer so he just kind of stood there.

He looked over the others to see how they were reacting. A6d made eye contact with him and kinda shrugged like 'yeah I believe him.' Bad looked kinda choked up over the story, but he was really empathetic about stuff so Clay wasn't surprised. Skeppy wasn't about to apologize back to them, but he at least wasn't trying to attack them anymore.
Sapnap was thinking.

"Sorry," Grian said, stepping back, "did you guys want us to listen to anything you could tell us? Or ask something?"

Actually yes,
Clay was dying to ask what had been on his tongue since the night of the party.
"Where did you take George?"

Grian answered. "We took him to my host family's house. Oh I'm an exchange student from England, by the way. But Mumbo and I just brought him to my house in our friend Miles' car. He stayed asleep the whole way. We made sure he wasn't in danger of alcohol poisoning by checking his breathing and pulse.
He seemed alright so we just let him sleep. None of us had even heard of him confessing to you yet, and to be honest, Mumbo and I were a little tipsy as well, I daresay Mumbo was better than me.
When we got there we monitored him but like I said he seemed ok and we had no reason to wake him up, so eventually me, Mumbo, and Iskall all fell asleep also."

"Then what?"

"Well we got up before him, but he was definitely more hungover than us. I checked on him again and he was fine, so I just left some aspirin and a glass of water. I also left a note telling him he was at my house and brunch was soon. I didn't want him to be freaked out.
Then, I don't know..."

"You don't know?"

"When I checked back he wasn't on the bed anymore. He was just gone.
He definitely read the note because he moved it from the bedside table and drank the water and aspirin.
The window was open. I guessed he just didn't want to talk to us or take him home but I didn't know why. He wasn't a burden. I was really confused as to why he wouldn't tell us he was leaving.
I texted him once, but when he didn't answer I assumed he wanted space and let him be.
I didn't worry about it again until he wasn't at school. It was stupid. I should have gone after him when he first left."

"It wasn't your fault, G," Mumbo comforted him. "We all could have done more, but we didn't know. It doesn't help to blame yourself."

"He has reason," a6d said, "no, what do you say here- he's right." He looked at Clay. "It doesn't help to blame yourself, Clay."

Clay was still processing the news. George ran away.
At least he ran away from Grian's house-
"Wait, how far are you from his house? Why didn't you just take him straight there?"

"We didn't know where it was," Grian answered. "My host family already approved Mumbo and Iskall staying over, and they were fine with it, so we just let him stay. I knew about you, but couldn't have recognized you by face at that point, plus I didn't want to just leave unconscious George to be someone else's problem, that would be a little rude. It made sense at the time to just take him with us.
I found out later his house is just a few streets from my host family's, maybe half a mile. He could have easily walked there.
Maybe he was disoriented from his hangover, but he probably knows the area, I don't know- I just can't figure out why-"

"It's okay," Clay said. "Thank you for the information."

"Of course," Grian replied. "I wish I knew more."

"Me too." Clay was happy at finding out more, at least George woke up okay. But he didn't feel any closer to finding him.

"Can I ask you something?" Grian asked gently.

"Yeah, sure."

"Did anything happen after he fainted downstairs? All I know is you left the room with him and then what happened after me and Mumbo found him passed out upstairs."

"No, nothing happened," Clay said sadly, "I carried him up the stairs and laid him down on a bed. He didn't say anything else or wake up. I wish now I had just talked to him more or taken him to my house.
He seemed ok to me like you said, so I left him alone and checked on him regularly until you took him."

"Ok," Grian nodded. "So I don't believe it was anything to do with you. Now we just need to figure out why he disappeared."

"How do you propose we do that?" Sapnap asked with a raised eyebrow.

"By teaming up," Mumbo answered.
Grian smiled.

"Let's work together. I can get everyone involved, even more than they already are.
I think with the whole of Hermitcraft behind you, we're bound to find George."

(Holy shit 4k words)

Bruh I was planning like less than 1k damn why do I write like I'm running out of time.
Anyway. Eggo, new chapter :D
Also very POG news for you guys, [1] this is the start of the end of conflict and beginnings of explanation, [2] I'm going to update more often leading up to thanksgiving here in 'Murica. You're welcome everyone.
Early -> Saturday (fingers crossed)
Hugs for everybody and y'all keep theorizing, they're fun to read <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 4.6K 20
Your daughter runs off while you were in the middle of grocery shopping because she spotted Max, her favourite driver. Meeting you, Max wants to know...
825K 38.1K 60
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
369K 13.2K 59
After Pein's invasion, Naruto is betrayed by his comrades and left to die. When he wakes up, he somehow travelled back in time to when he was genin a...
538K 11.6K 38
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.