Commitment

By SusanGarod

Love is the glue: it makes people want to keep their commitment to someone, no matter what happens, just a sh... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76
Part 77
Part 78
Part 79
Part 80
Part 81
Part 82
Part 83
Part 84
Part 85
Part 86
Part 87
Part 88
Part 89
Part 90
Part 91
Part 93
Part 94
Part 95
Part 96
Part 97
Part 98
Part 99
Part 100

Part 92

29 2 0
By SusanGarod

It took eight weeks, sorting out the legal, administration and logistics, before their agreement was signed. He did not have to give notice to his current employer, because he remained as the manager at that farm. Four weeks after the official partnership started, they engaged another worker, to manage the day to day running of the beef herd, Lore moved in with her boyfriend and Gray and his grandfather moved back to Regan's farm. It meant he could spend his free time at Regan's farm, and remained as the manager at the other farm.

So three months after that conversation with their legal representatives and signing the documents about a limited company, their company, Regan walked straight into Gray as she entered the shed. Overbalanced he staggered back, Regan grabbed hold in an attempt to stay upright, and ended up falling against him. His arms wrapped automatically around her, steadying her legs, if not her heart. Idiot she murmured to herself. Her eyes mirrored her heart.

Gray bit the inside of his lower lip as he tried to keep his emotions under control.

"Sorry. I am such an idiot." She mumbled and tipped her head to look up at him. He hadn't released her. "Sorry." She muttered again as she planted her hands on his chest and pushed gently in an attempt to break contact. She didn't dare look up. Idiot she murmured to herself. She resurfaced from her thoughts about her failed plan. She huffed. In her heart she could not stop thinking about him, but her brain had other plans, like avoiding him. Coming here, was a bad mistake. Colour seeped her throat. This spur-of-the-moment-plan was a mistake. Her brain reminded, it was best to just find ways to avoid anything that involved any  time together, alone. It was only today, that her brain recognised her heart and the fact that her feelings were entrenched and that love was not logical. Her brain's questions didn't stop her feelings. She blew out a breath.

He rubbed a palm over his mouth, "You ok?" He pinned her with a puzzling  stare as he saw the flush in her cheeks.

She nodded somewhat cagily. She wasn't sure herself. 

"Right." He stated, but kept his arms around her. It felt right, to just hold her. He knew that he wanted to do this. Wanted to have her in his arms. He just wasn't sure how she'd feel about being there. In the four weeks he and his grandfather had been back, she had kept her distance, appearing at dinner times, and talking to all when they were together, but she was also very strategic in ensuring that she was rarely left alone with him. That needed to change, he was just not sure what pace of change he was willing to go for. He didn't want to spook her, but neither did he want them to be in their dotage when she finally decided to let him into her heart.

Regan extricated herself from the embrace. Idiot, she called herself. "Excuse me," Knowing that her next statement was going to give him the wrong answer. "I just wanted to collect my jacket, I left it in the store room yesterday." Not true. She knew he was here. But her heart just need a reason to see him, while her brain warned her to stay away.

Gray paused for the longest second and just stared at her. It made her squirmed. She licked her lower lip and bit her lips while he watched her.

"I think Bob took it back to the house."

"Oh." She rolled her eyes and she wished she had thought about that. "Thanks." She took a breath, then exhaled, her bottom lip thrust forward as she blew out a long breath.

"Everything ok?"

She crossed her fingers behind her back, and thought about ignoring that question, instead she said, "Yes, of course." She frowned. "Why?" Her stubbornness kicked in.

Seconds elapsed. They both just stared at each other. He eventually said, "Just wondered what you thought about our company." A grin split Gray's face. " Tomorrow would mark our first month anniversary."

She smiled.

"No arguments." He rubbed his palm against his lips and jaw. " No teething problems." Probably because she dodged meeting him without company. Until her heart insisted on this meeting, today. Having a battle between her heart and her brain is tiring.

The smile was back in her voice as she said with a heartfelt sigh. "Well, it seems to be working, don't you think?"

He nodded. "And you do remember, I would increase the beef herd within two months."

She nodded. "I assume that is on schedule." She closed her eyes, pinched the bridge of her nose and rubbed at the junction between her eyebrows. This meeting was going wrong! 

He nodded. He knew he was going to do something about this situation. "I think we should celebrate our first month anniversary."

She chuckled.

"Perhaps a small party. Or something." He raised his eyebrows.

She nodded in acceptance. "Sure." She schooled her features.

 He announced casually. "Perhaps tomorrow."

Her brow furrowed and she bit her bottom lip as she watched Gray's eyes. He was planning something, she was not sure what exactly. "I doubt we can arrange a party, small or not, within a day!"

They were quiet for a second.

"Ok. How about dinner?" This is like a cat and a mouse, except he was not sure who was the cat.

 Her eyes narrowing in sudden concern, "Dinner?"

"Yes. Are your shift tomorrow in the evening?"

She shook her head. "No. Day shift." 

He just glossed over it and said, "Great."  He smiled happily. "A celebratory dinner tomorrow."  Smiling broadly he said, "Put it in your diary!"

"What do you want for dinner? I can cook."

He shook his head. "No, let's order. Lore can collect it and bring it to the farm."

That means that Lore and Sam would be around, so she could manage. "That sounds good." She smiled, "Anyway, got to go. Lucy is waiting for me."

He smiled. "Don't forget. Put it in your diary."

"Will do. Bye."

"Bye." As he watched her walk away, his smile widened.

The next night, Regan came home to find the dining room had been set. The place settings were elegant and again, clearly the work of Loretta. Regan stood in the doorway looking at the simplicity, very different to the dinner with Caro, but this table was dressed to suit Regan's taste. Simplicity that took a lot of effort. Lots of thought and care had gone into the settings and she was happy. It was beautiful, elegant, chic, she thought as she took in the little details. They'd gone to a lot of trouble. And then she realised it was only set up for two.

Two?

"Hey." Gray said.

She smiled with happiness in her eyes. "This is incredible." She gestured behind her. Life was good at the moment.

Gray smiled. "Not my work."

"Lore?" She teased him, still smiling with happiness.

He nodded. He glanced at his watch. "Good to see you are early."

It was just gone past six. "Yes. I was expecting a dinner party, thought I could freshened up. You know. Dress up for the meal. Put on some make up." With a smile on her lips. She again gestured at the table, " Are we still having a dinner party. It is only set up for two."

"Kind of."

And Regan noticed his clothes and obviously he had showered and his hair was still slightly damp. Also he had shaved. He looked smart, but casual but still picture book perfect, again. "Kind of?" Her eyebrows winged skywards. He looked nervous.

He flicked his cuff back and glanced at his wristwatch. "er, Lore dropped off our dinner around six."

"Great. I enough time for me to shower and change." Then she blinked. "Dropped off our dinner?" She bit her lower lip to stop her tremble.

He ran his palm across his mouth and murmured, "Yes."

"Our? Meaning?"

"Me and you." He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this happy.

"Me and you." She blinked. The layout was for her. The thought rattled around her brain.

"Just me and you?" She repeated. She looked back at the table. This was for her benefit.

"Yes."

"Ok, er..."

"Lore and granddad have a previous engagement." He seemed a touch more than nervous, and hoped she would accept the reasons.

"Really?"

"Yes. Granddad has a date. " He smiled. 

Seconds elapsed. She avoided his eyes. Dinner, just the two of them, she bit her lip, not sure if this was the best option.

"Lore said she would drop him at the exhibition, something they had arranged weeks ago, which was great for us, because she picked up the food order, and left with Granddad!"

Her next question was more puzzling, and a touch sad, "Oh dear, no celebratory dinner?"

He shook his head. "Of course, it is still on."

"It is?" She nibbled at her lips and looked over at the table and then back at him. Her mind was spinning around. His words were on a loop in her brain.

"Yes." He gestured at the setting.

"Just me and you?" Regan gulped, only for happiness to register in her brain. Her brain and heart had a tussle. Her mind was in an utterly whirl. Self protection and excitement vied for preference. "Thank you, Gray." She told him with genuine contentment as excitement won. She said somewhat awkwardly. "Can you give me ten minutes, to shower, and change?"

He nodded.

Why she did it, she didn't know. But she stood on tip toes and gently placed her lips against his. A light, hesitant touch. Both felt the tremble that went through them. "I wont be long."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

416 13 8
She wanted to be number 1 while the other wanted freedom. What will happen to these 2 when they are stuck together for 2 weeks in a forest, running f...
577 56 14
She loves him, he loves her, but things keep on getting between them.
152K 2.9K 71
"i couldnt've forced myself to love you, gray-" "well im forcing myself to love you now, aren't i?" ~ y/n, best friend of the dolan twins, comes home...
18.3K 563 100
When Douglas Hawke's grandmother and Isabelle Sojour-D'Sa's grandmother met at a wedding reception they had plenty of time to sit and talk. It didn't...