A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~11~ He Ran Away From Me

1.4K 36 71
By _Sibylline_

TW- Panic attack and PTSD. I will put marks to let you know when the triggering scene starts and ends.

PS: I know the page separators look weird rn. Deal with it. ALSO, Our Homelands pt 2 will be up in about a week!

Sophie clutched her hair tight, attempting to scramble a tree to get away from Maha's shears.

"No way in HELL am I cutting my hair, Maha!" Sophie hissed.

Maha groaned, trying to keep her composure, "Amalia, I know you Inalians are VERY attached to your hair, but we need to go undercover!"

"No! I worked very hard on growing my hair out, I'm not cutting it off again!" Sophie barked.

"Amalia-"

"No!"

"Stop being difficult!"

"You stop being difficult!"

"Amalia!"

"Fuck off!"

Maha rubbed her temples.

"Fine, we won't cut it for now, but we need to stay on the down low!"

"WHY?! Hyda is a big place, I'm sure no one will recognize us!"

"No, they won't recognize me, but they will recognize you! Do you remember what happened during our last contract?"

Sophie faltered, cringing. Her and Alexios were nearly killed after being caught assassinating a fraudulent tax collector. And then Sophie blew up their barracks.

"Yeah, okay, you may have a point." Sophie mumbled. Maha put down her shears and threw Sophie a cowl.

"It is the best we can do is hide you the best we can. Put up your hair and hide as much as you can until we get proper clothing and disguises. From there we can stow away on a ship to Inalia."

Sophie wrapped the cowl around her nose and mouth, patting Ricin on the nose.

"Why don't you do some shifting practice while we are gone, alright buddy?" Sophie proposed.

Ricin purred, his eyes carefully watching them as Maha and Sophie slowly walked towards the town through the thick jungle. Even though it was the autumnal season, the humidity was thick. It caused the cicadas' buzzing to grow louder than normal. Birds and monkeys chirped and howled amongst each other, flying through the thick canopy or swinging on the hardy vines. Sophie missed her weapons dearly, and at that moment, she would've killed for her sword back. Leaves and grass kept tripping her or blinding her. 

But not the sword Kynareth gave her the steel one Maria made. The one made with love. Sophie shuddered, a chill traveling down her spine. The pounding of Kynareth's powers in Sophie's veins. Sophie has felt extra overwhelmed recently, with both her powers returning and all the information Kynareth gave her, and she knew it is only going to get worse. But she wouldn't let Maha know about her struggles; no doubt Maha struggled with the same anxiety as Sophie.

But Sophie's mind has been drifting to places she would rather forget. Things that haunt her nightmares.

Soon, Maha and Sophie stumbled out of the thick jungle to the hills above Hyda's main village and, most importantly, the docks. Their way home.

Sophie and Maha easily found their ways to the shadier parts of town, seeing as they have been there before because of their jobs.

Sophie waited as Maha perused through the stall, considering the types of shirts and how well it would hide them. She did not have much cash to spend. Maha thought ahead and stowed away a few extra coins during the conference, just in case.

Sophie was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed with the crowds, and she began pacing around while Maha shopped for them. She then decided to people watch, swinging around a light post as she scanned the crowd.

But then her twirling stopped when she saw him.

He looked so exhausted as he made eye contact with her too.

"Ruy?" Sophie asked.

Ruy's eyes widened when he saw her, quickly glancing over his shoulder. He had a bloody cut on his forehead, his hair was disheveled, his undereye bags a bit darker than normal.

But he was there. He was really here with her.

Sophie smiled, but Ruy did something she wasn't expecting.

He ran from her.

"Wait-Ruy!" Sophie pushed through the crowds after Ruy. People gasped and cursed at Sophie, but she was only focused on Ruy as he weaved through the crowds. Seasalt burned her nose as Ruy turned onto the

"Gods damnit Ignis," Sophie hissed when Ruy turned a corner and ran into a gated courtyard. Sophie ran up a pile of barrels and crates, using those to pull herself onto a lamp post then the roof of the opposing building. Quickly shaking herself out, Sophie ran towards the edge and lept. She landed on the opposing roof and dropped into the courtyard.

But Ruy was gone.

"Ruy?" Sophie whispered, her voice cracking a bit. No one answered her, and Sophie deflated. Sophie knew what she saw; she would know Ruy from anywhere.

But why would he run from her?

Maha panted through the courtyard, skidding to a halt when she saw Sophie looking around in confusion.

"What the hell Amalia?!" Maha hissed.

"He ran away from me." Sophie wasn't feigning the hurt in her voice. Maha caught onto Sophie's mood, and her face instantly softened.

"Amalia-" The Heiresses jumped at the sound of soldiers opening the gate. Sophie was still a bit distraught and followed Maha as she grabbed her wrist. They sprinted through some open door from the courtyard, through someone's house.

"Sorry!" Maha called to the family, who was sitting down for lunch. The mother yelled something at the two of them, but they were gone before they could get a good look at them. Maha shuffled behind a barrel of crates, Sophie slumping beside her.

TW- Triggering scene starts here.

"Lia, are you alright-" Maha froze at the sight of Sophie blinking away her tears.

Why would he run from her? They worked so hard at their relationship, on this special trust, and then he just runs?

Just like Eumelia. He was leaving her just like Eumelia.

"Oh gods, Lia, oh no." Maha gasped. Sophie struggled to keep back her sob, her lip quivering.

"I'm sorry, I got distracted, we should get going. That caused a fuss, people are probably going to be looking for us-" Sophie tried to get up, but Maha grabbed her shoulder, gently pushing her back down.

Sophie's breath became inconstant, and the world getting louder and louder. Merchant's chattering turned into screaming, the man sleeping on the bench turned into a corpse, burns and blood staining his body.

The bell tower sounded, and Sophie heaved, her natural impulse kicking in as she got up in an attempt to get away from the noise. Maha scampered after her, and Sophie bumped right into a man.

"Oh I'm sorry dear, are you alright?" The man asked, his strong Carianan accent worried.

Brown shaggy hair, rugged mud-stained boots, strong hands that helped stable her.

Brown eyes.

Sophie sobbed, her hand flying to her mouth as she stared at her father. Allesandro's concerned face stared at his daughter, the same expression he would wear when Sophie came home with her sprained ankle.

Sophie's father was wearing one of the darker hooded robes. Sophie never liked them, she always preferred his white one, even though blood always ended getting on it. But in his dark robes, her father stared at her. The sound of screaming and fire dampened, the colors muting, the only thing that had color to Sophie was the blood-red sash wrapped around her father's waist. 

Maha came up behind Sophie, making up some excuse to the man.

But Sophie couldn't stop staring at her father. The cut going through his upper lip, his beaten armor, the very same skin tone as Sophie, it was all the same.

"I'm sorry again sir," Maha's voice came in and out to Sophie, tuning in and out through the screaming of the market behind them, "She is a bit distraught," Sophie's hyperventilation only grew worse.

"Possibly bring her to a doctor?" The man proposed to Maha.

"A quiet place would be better." Maha whispered to the man, her hands keeping Sophie upright.

Loud, loud, gods it was so loud.

The belltower gonged again, and Sophie yelped, her hands clamped over her ears, tears beginning to drip down her cheeks.

She looked at the man again, her father's face replacing the man's.

"Go down the street...left...and then..." His directions were muddled with all of the other noise.

Her father's voice was in her head now.

"What's wrong Passerota?" His voice was wheezing, not his deep soothing voice he would use to comfort her. Wheezing and coughing, like it was his final breaths.

Sophie couldn't tell what was real and fake anymore.

Sometimes, she was in her older body and stumbling along with Maha through the streets of Cariana, trying to keep her hyperventilating and sobs quiet.

And the other times, she was on that horse with Leto as they galloped away from Inalia. From her father propped on his knees. That smile he gave her right before Elrond shoved metal through his back.

"What's wrong Passerota?" He asked again, blood dribbling down his chin, dripping onto his freshly pressed shirt that was beneath his armor. Elrond had torn off her father's armor, left him only his hooded white robes.

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Sophie had screamed, kicking and fighting against Leto.

Elrond only smiled at Sophie.

Then she was back with Maha, struggling to remain in Maha's arms as she spoke to what looked like an innkeeper. The innkeeper quickly nodded, leading Maha through a few doors.

Then she was back on that fucking horse.

Everything was muted now, though; Sophie couldn't even hear the fire licking up the sides of the buildings. The only thing she could hear was her scream.

Sophie felt her throat go sore; she felt her fingers dig into Leto's back as she cried.

Sophie felt Maha place a cool towel on her forehead, propping her over the toilet.

"Anything else you need lass?" The innkeeper asked Maha.

"Some more cool towels please," Maha answered.

"Maha, I'm sorry," Sophie croaked, her voice shaky as she felt her stomach rumble. Maha held Sophie's hair back as Sophie gagged.

"It's alright, I'm here." Maha whispered, rubbing Sophie's back.

Sophie gagged again, nothing happening.

The loud screams thundered in her head, slamming against her skull. The metallic tang of blood mixing with the dying embers of her burning home, it is a smell she could never wash away. She can never scrub the blood off her skin; she could never clean the ash and smoke out of her hair.

"Take deep breaths, Sophie, deep breaths," That was Edaline's voice.

Deep breaths, take deep breaths.

"Keep going. You can do it." Edaline gently cheered.

Sophie struggled to keep her panting to a minimum, trying to get normal oxygen in.

"Come on love, breath," Ruy's voice this time, soothing and deep, just like when he whispered with her the night after the Battle of Foxfire.

"Why did you run?" Sophie asked, her voice shaky.

Sophie swore she could almost smell the rain and pine of his cologne.

"You need to breath, please, you're worrying me. You're going to pass out." Ruy whispered.

Sophie knew Maha trying to talk to her, but she couldn't focus on her.

"You're going to leave me. Just like Eumelia, just like Luram Bak, just like Pater. I'm going to lose you. Just like the rest of them, you're going to leave me." Sophie clenched the rim of the toilet, gagging again.

"Kynareth is getting to you. The stress is getting to you. You know how much I love you." Ruy whispered in her head.

Breath, breath, you're going to pass out.

You've dealt with these before, Sophie, come on.

But she feels so hopeless, so lonely, even with Maha holding back Sophie's hair.

Breathe, breathe, breathe.

You're going to pass out.

"Maha-" Sophie couldn't finish her cry for help before she slid off the rim of the toilet onto the cold bathroom tile.

~~~~~~

TW- Triggering scene is done.

Alexios held onto his mother tight, Filomena sobbing into his shoulder.

"Oh my boy, you had me so worried!" Filomena whimpered. Alexios didn't let her go, squeezing her tight.

"We are okay," He muttered back. Filomena glanced around a bit, "Where is Maria? Where is Amalia?"

Alexios took a deep breath, but Filomena nodded, "No, I think I knew. I knew, Ruy told me something would be suspicious-"

"You've seen Ruy?!" Alexios smiled, "Where is he?! How'd he make it out?" Alexios needed to see his friend again. Things have been so tiring recently, and Alexios just needed to go down to the bar with Ruy and Lia to get wasted and sing till their all horse. It was a bit of a tradition of theirs.

Filomena took a deep breath, and she leaned up on her toes, whispering into her son's ear so the other's wouldn't hear.

Alexios felt his blood run cold.

"No, but that, he can't do that." Alexios muttered, Filomena wringing her hands out.

He threw himself back into the thick of it. Back in the place he hated so much just to give them a chance at winning. To get information. To sabotage.

"He went back to the Neverseen?" Alexios confirmed.

Filomena took a deep breath, "To protect Keefe. To spy for us."

Alexios felt sick. His sister was not only missing but one of Alexios's closest friends as well.

"Son, the guild looks to you. They are scared, confused, and angry. They want their mentore back. They want orders." Filomena knew what she was asking of him.

Alexios had a certain hatred for responsibility, but he would do everything in his power to pull through in the times where he was truly needed.

Assassins were going missing. The ones remaining are scared and angry. They want justice.

Alexios would give them justice.

Mansi and Alvar were at the physician right now, and either way, they were going to be out of the fight for a while.

All that was left was him and Nour.

Nour clasped his shoulder.

"I'm here to help." Nour confirmed.

Alexios took a deep breath and began.

"Nour, I want you to create a party of our best infiltrators. Apparently, the Neverseen are holed up in the old Castello. Are you going to be okay going back there?" Alexios had no idea what atrocities happened in that castle, but Nour was collected and didn't seem scared.

"I'll be fine."

"Your job is going to be getting Keefe out of there and back to the Lost Cities. See if you can find Ruy as well and get details out of him."

"That's no good," Filomena started, "Apparently the squadron Ruy is assigned to hauled onto a ship early this afternoon. Our spies confirmed it."

"Shit. Well, then you can focus on getting Keefe out. Make it as fast as you can and most importantly, don't get caught. We don't want the Neverseen to know we are onto them. Make it seem Keefe got out on his own."

Nour nodded, "It will be done." He said, setting off into the guildhall to prepare.

Alexios turned to his mother, and she just gently put a hand on his cheek, "I'll take over the boutique since Maria is... gone," Filomena was clearly struggling over her missing wife, her voice cracky, "Our spies will focus on finding your mother and sister."

Alexios loosed a breath, leaning against his mother's hand.

"And I'm dealing with this son of a-"

"Alexios." Filomena scolded.

Alexios sighed, "Fine. I'll deal with this traitor of ours. Start rooting people out."

Filomena nodded and placed a gentle kiss on her son's nose.

"Well, before we all scurry about, I made rosemary bread and lokma." Filomena's tired eyes made it clear.

"Of course I'll have some mater. I'll wrap some for Mansi and Alvar as well." Alexios smiled.

Ruy paced the small cabin, his anxiety through the roof. They have been on a ship for the past two days.

He should still be in that base, that is where Keefe is and Ruy needed to keep an eye on him. But they loaded Ruy's squadron onto a ship heading to gods know where so early this morning that not even the gods were awake.

His plan for getting rid of Trix was nowhere near ready; he still needed a few people on his side to make it work.

He bonked his head on the cabin door frame, stumbling back into his room.

"Malaka," Ruy cursed, pressing at the bruise at his forehead. His hand came back with blood. Ruy groaned, shuffling towards the dirty mirror, using the basin of questionable water to wipe away at the cut. He exited his room, ducking this time, and walked to the deck. He scanned over the crew, all Neverseen low lives scuttling about, his squadron, and the captain.

Trix glared at Ruy, and Ruy tried to ignore it.

They both were plotting how to get rid of the other.

Ruy squinted at the distance, the island finally somewhat visible.

"No way," Ruy muttered. He plucked the spyglass off the captain's belt, the man not even knowing. Ruy focused through the spyglass at the very same island from his memories, from the time he washed up on the side of Allesandro's boat.

"Which island are we traveling to again?" Ruy asked the captain quietly. The man quirked an eye at Ruy, looking him up and down.

"The Island of Hyda, ruled by High Lady Nyoka. Do you seriously not know where you are heading boy?" He asked.

Ruy resisted the urge to pass out.

The crystal hasn't done anything else when Ruy touched it, nothing at all. It left Ruy pondering what happened that night.

"We will be arriving by the end of today." The captain sighed. Ruy nodded, approaching a few girls who were part of his squadron. The girls smiled when Ruy approached, "Hey, how are you feeling? Are you still waving off Maha's control over your mind?"

Ruy shrugged, "Bit by bit, but yes, things are a bit easier."

Ruy pointed his head to Hyda, "What are we exactly doing here?"

"We are here to talk with one of our allies, Governor Heinrich, apparently he learned what's going on about the Vatarian leaders and Assassins."

Ruy's heart stopped, "The Assassins?" His voice sounded almost frightened, and the girls looked at him like he was a sad puppy.

"Yeah, they are apparently making plans to take back Egypitnat."

"But, the Assassins surely won't let that happen-"

The girl scoffed, "Well, the Assassins aren't going to be a problem. Especially since Maria-"

One of the other girls nudged her hard in the ribs.

"Shut it!"

Her name rattled around in his head. Maria, Maria, Maria... Alexios's mother, Sophie's aunt, and one of three living Morrettis that carries the bloodline. Their gift of the Pancras form and Assassination. Who knows what the Neverseen could do with that?

Ruy just nodded, "Maria will be useful, we'll see what we can get out of her."

"All hands! We are approaching Hyda!" The captain cried out. Ruy just wrung his hands as they approached the familiar island.

He kept his head further down than normal, trying to avoid eye contact with everyone. He spent all night on that ship trying to dissect what exactly happened on this same island years ago.

Ruy's eyes drifted to the large fort atop the busy town, Nyoka's fort. He spent the night there, he had dinner with Nyoka.

"He's doing it again." Dom coughed.

"Don't be rude," Hathem hissed.

Ruy turned to them, "I'm doing what?"

Dominque sarcastically made a daydreaming slash puppy face that made Ruy cringe.

Ruy's nose crinkled, "Sorry about that-"

Hathem straightened, "You don't need to apologize, you are clearly working through Maha's sway on your mind right now." Hathem glared at Dominque, "Dom needs to stop being such a-"

"Finish that sentence, Hathem, and I have your tongue for breakfast." Dom growled at Hathem. Hathem huffed, crossing his arms. Dom rolled on the balls of her feet, sighing as she looked over Ruy, "Just for shits and giggles, what are you thinking about anyway?"

Ruy resisted the urge to look back at Nyoka's fort and the similar yellow and blue flags he once gaped at as a child.

"Just, working through some things. Lost some memories from when I was a kid, and they come back in bits and pieces." Ruy shrugged.

Dom's eyes softened, "I understand. Trauma when you're a kid is... pretty hard to deal with when you're older."

Hathem looked surprised as well, but Dom turned back to him, "What the hell are you looking at?"

Hathem quickly looked away.

Dom sighed, "Well, if you ever need anyone to talk to, let me know."

Ruy nodded, but his mind reeled.

That was friendship Dom just offered him.

Maybe, just maybe, she could help him with his plan.

But Hathem would get in the way. However, he seemed pretty attached to Dom, so if she sways, maybe he will as well.

"Listen up," Trix huddled everyone close together, "The meeting with the Govenor is going to be at midnight. We have a place set out for us, The Kraken, that is going to act as our base. But now, we are going to be scouting."

Trix listed off scouting groups and practically shoved the final assignment into Ruy's hands.

"You're with Hathem and Dom." He hissed.

Ruy rolled his eyes and began scouting with the two of them. They got the shittier part of town, and Hathem got distracted by some stalls in this little market. Ruy crossed his arms, focusing on the people around him. Plenty of businessmen and women, everyday citizens who bustled about, and your handful of shady characters. One of which being hunched over a stall of shirts, barking at her partner behind her.

Ruy looked at the girl's partner, and the world stopped.

Sophie Elizabeth Foster casually held onto the light pole, twirling around it mindlessly. Her face was covered by a cowl, her eyes partially covered by her long blond locks.

Oh, gods no.

She can't see him like this. Not with the very thing he gave up. The thing he swore away for her, for his love of her and the freedom she brought.

And Ruy nearly whimpered when she made eye contact with him.

She didn't think he was real either by look the initial look on her face. But then she split into a brilliant smile as she pulled down her cowl that made Ruy feel like he was punched in the stomach.

One foot shuffled behind him.

Then another.

"Ruy?" Hathem asked.

Ruy sprinted out of the alleyway and into the busy crowd.

"Wait-Ruy!" Sophie screamed behind him, darting after him.

No, no, no. Ruy didn't care what everyone else thought of him, he didn't give a damn, but she was the one person he couldn't lose. The one person who would walk away from him and leave him broken.

"Ruy!" Sophie called out again.

"I want you to see me not like this, not with them. Please, I love you with all my heart. But don't come any closer." These words repeated in his head like a choir, only growing louder as he ran.

Ruy skidded, ripping open a gate to a random courtyard and scrambling in and locking it behind him.

"Gods damnit, Ignis." He heard Sophie curse. And the sounds of a tile scraping against her boots as she pulled herself onto the roof across the alleyway. And the sound of her landing on the roof right above him.

No, love, please. Not like this. I can't lose you like this.

Ruy stared at a small case of stairs and quietly darted up them, jiggling the knobs of the random rooms until he found one open.

It was a laundry room, the quiet rumble of the outdated miscolored washing machine masking his entrance. There was a small window facing the courtyard, the slats slightly open. Ruy peeked through them, watching as Sophie dropped down into the courtyard he was in moments before.

"Ruy?" Sophie called out, her voice supple.

She held the sleeves of her shirt in fistfuls as she looked for him. For a moment, it was almost like she was looking straight at him. Part of him wanted to run back down those stairs and wrap his arms around her. But the fear of losing her made him stay put.

Maha came barreling into the courtyard, panting.

"What the hell Amalia?!" Maha barked. But Sophie was still looking through the courtyard, her cowl pulled completely down from her face.

Her lips were puckered out as she investigated the plants and behind the bench as if he would be tucked behind them waiting for her.

"He ran away from me." Sophie muttered to herself.

Ruy's breath caught in his throat, his hand tightening around the window sill.

Maha clearly wanted to help, but the sound of guards entering the courtyard after them made her grab Sophie's wrist and dart through one of the doors. The guards poked their heads in and glanced at the merchant behind them, the merchant selling stuff to Maha.

"Are you sure it was her?" They asked.

"Yes, blond hair, brown eyes, fairly tall- she was that Assassin you were looking for. Can I get my reward? I did give you a lead after all." He asked.

The Guards merely smiled at him. "Why, of course!"

The merchant's chest puffed out, readying himself for a pretty sack of coins. Instead, he got the guard behind him drawing his knife and stabbing him in the gut.

Ruy looked away as the man hit the ground, his hand over his mouth to stay quiet.

"The Governor has a really important meeting tonight and can't afford any Assassins messing it up. Hunt them down." The head guard turned to the merchant's body, "Clean this up, I don't want the public knowing."

Ruy remained there even after the guards dragged the merchant's body away.

Now, not only was he in the Neverseen again, but because of him, they were hunting down Maha and Sophie.

Gods, what had he done? It was all his fault.

Ruy felt the darkness of panic begin to seep into him, the darkness he vowed away three years ago.

Ruy huddled down onto the floor of the laundry room and put his head in his hands.

Just like he did when he was blocking out the world when he was a little boy.

Sophie awoke in a small, nearly pitch-black room. Her cot was damp from her sweat, the thin fleece blanket doing little to keep out the chill blowing off the ocean. Sophie's first reaction was panic, but she spotted Maha huddled over a map and croaked her name.

Maha turned around as quick as a whip, breathing in relief.

Everything came back to Sophie like a brick, and she clutched the blanket tighter.

"I was worried sick. You've been too stressed recently and I think everything came to a head today."

"Did I ruin the plan?" Sophie asked, her voice scratchy. Because of her, they probably missed a ship to leave Cariana or gave away that they were in Cariana.

Maha immediately came to Sophie's side, gripping her hand, and she sat on the corner of the bed.

"Lia, it was not your fault. At all. You got overwhelmed and had a normal reaction to what you have experienced."

"I've never had one that bad. A panic attack."

"It's alright. Again, everything kind of came to a head today." Sophie tried to sit up further, but Maha leaned her back down.

"No, not happening. You passed out at the toilet because of your hyperventilation and your body is still recovering." Maha whispered. Sophie glanced outside one of the windows.

"Where are we? What happened while I was out?" Sophie asked.

Maha smiled, "The man you ran into gave us directions to a small inn that is known for being quiet and hospitable. I came in with you and the innkeeper immediately gave us a room."

"How much did it cost? Did we blow through all of our coin?"

"Not exactly. She is one of the residents that the tax collector you took down a while ago was hassling. She recognized you from when you were caught, and gave us the room for free."

Maha glanced at the table, "While you were out I gathered everything we need."

Sophie tried to get up again, but Maha shot her a look, and Sophie took the hint.

Maha walked back over to the table and held the light over the objects she bought. A few spare Cariana style shirts, overcoats, and bottoms. She also had her shears and a block of red hair dye.

Maha noticed Sophie was staring at them, and she sighed, "We are going to be recognized now more than ever. The dye washes out over time, and I thought instead of chopping all of your hair off we give you some layers, fringe, and things like that."

Sophie's gut turned at changing her hair, but she nodded.

Maha smiled and held up a list of boats expected of departure.

"The Elena is a trade ship meant to leave for Inalia in two days. We can stow away on her and then we'll be home free."

Sophie smiled at Maha, "Hey Maha?"

Maha blinked, "Yes?"

"Thank you. For all of it." Sophie whispered.

Maha just smiled back and lifted up her exposed palm, lifting Byzanthar's mark, "Hey, we're heiress sisters now. We help each other. Now more than ever."

Maha glanced at the clock and began to help Sophie out of bed towards the bathroom. Sophie needed help with the first few steps, but then she was alright.

"Tomorrow morning the Innkeeper actually asked to meet us." Maha said, starting the bathtub.

Sophie unbuttoned her shirt and wrapped a towel around her neck, kneeling down next to the tub as Maha grabbed the block of red hair dye.

"Are you sure we can trust her?" Sophie asked.

"I did some digging on her. I think we'll be okay." Maha said. Sophie held her head over the edge of the bathtub, allowing the water to soak it. And Sophie resisted the urge to cringe as the red dye began turning the water.

It looked a lot like blood.

Maha caught on, "Are you alright?"

Sophie took a deep breath, just like how Edaline told her to, "Yeah, I'm alright."

Maha continuing dying Sophie's hair, going from the roots of her hair to the tips. Soon, Sophie's entire head of hair was dyed a deep mahogany red, and she almost didn't recognize herself.

"I'm not done. We need to change the shape and style of your hair too." Maha muttered, making Sophie sit on the edge of the tub. In Inalian culture, hair was something to be very proud of. The longer the hair, the more courageous and capable you are. But they also didn't want it in the way of the soldiers and Spartans, so it was normally kept at shoulder length. But Sophie always loved the men and women who had hair long enough to have braids dangling behind them as they walked, or the hair long enough to bury you away in your bed among your pillows and sheets.

Maha was done sooner than Sophie expected, and Sophie nervously shuffled to the mirror.

Though Sophie's hair wasn't dry yet, she could see the top of her hair was a little bit short now, a bit of fringe and layers, and then her eyes widened.

"Did you give me... curtain bangs?" Sophie asked, pushing aside the bangs parted from the middle of her hair.

Maha shrugged, wiping away her shears, "They suit your face."

Sophie always loved the women in the magazines with the fluffy curtain bangs and voluminous hair. Amy liked them as well but always proposed they should dye them crazy colors.

"Alright, I'll admit it," Sophie shrugged, not wanting to face Maha's sarcastic I told you so face, "This looks alright."

Maha giggled, "I'll take what I can get."

Maha stretched out, "Ricin also figured out where we are staying. He is watching overnight on the roof. I think it is time we head to bed."

Sophie hummed, "I was literally asleep for hours before this."

Maha rolled her eyes, "Alright, fine, just don't stay up too late." Maha got into some spare sleep clothes she bought and slid into the bed that was across the way from Sophie's.

Sophie froze at the sight of a big orange jar sitting on the table.

"Maha... what are those?" Sophie asked quietly, not being able to hide the excitement in her voice.

Maha kept her eyes closed but smiled as she answers, "Candied orange peels. I found them when I was out shopping." Maha turned over, waving goodnight.

"Just don't eat them all in one sitting, alright?" She muttered through her yawn. Sophie giddily opened the jar and plopped down on the green lounge chair that seemed a bit questionable, but Sophie didn't mind.

The windows were all closed, and the blinds were drawn, but Sophie opened up one window, drawing up the blinds.

She can't sleep without a window open.

But Sophie didn't sleep.

She munched on her candied orange peels and stared at the crescent moon and the flickering stars in the sky.

She could practically hear her father's voice as she stared at the scorpion constellation, "That one is the Scorpion. They say after the Hunter insulted the gods and was put in the stars and chased by the Scorpion constellation for all eternity."

Little Sophie giggled, her legs dangling as she and father sat in the tower right next to the temple of Kynareth, candied orange peels, cannoli, books, and other such delicacies scattered around them as they stared at the stars.

Allesandro pointed to a little cluster of stars, "And what about that one, Amalia? Which one is that one again?"

Young Sophie squinted at the stars, mapping out the pattern in her head and remembering what her father told her about it.

"That is the Justice constellation!" Young Sophie gasped, shaking her father's bicep with excitement, "Look Pater, I remembered!"

Allesandro chuckled, reaching back to grab a big handful of orange peels and shove them into his mouth.

"That's not very gentleman-like," Young Sophie teased, sounding like her Aunt Maria.

Allesandro rolled his eyes, "What? And you're better?" He said, hugging his daughter closer.

Young Sophie giggled, "Nooooo, but I still like to tease you."

Allesandro smiled, placing a kiss on his daughter's head as she stared at the Justice constellation.

"I think the Justice is my favorite." Allesandro sighed, leaning back. Amalia plucked one of the cannoli out from beside them, "Why?"

Allesandro shrugged, "It's important to me. It's not just Justice the consultation represents, but also balance, compromise, and communication."

Allesandro tickled his daughter's ribs, laughing as he said, "Plus, they're plenty of people out there who need some good ol' justice thrown at them."

Amalia laughed, struggling to get out of her father's tickle attack.

Sophie stared at the scales of the Justice constellation, her little jar of candied peels already halfway gone.

"I like that one best as well," Sophie whispered to herself, smiling at the faint cluster of stars.

Her father wasn't there to tickle her or stuff candy in his mouth, even though Maha was sleeping peacefully on the other side of the room, Sophie felt pangs of loneliness.

She missed those nights in that tower. The stories her father would recount, the food they would gorge on, the way her father held her in her lap, and wrapped his arms around her whenever she got cold. Sophie would give anything to have those little moments again.

Sophie grabbed her amulet from the table, gently sliding her thumb over the comforting texture.

Sophie slid the small blue jewel aside, looking at the keyhole to the music box inside.

Sophie left Ruy's key on her bedside table.

Ruy... was he an illusion?

No, now that Sophie was in her right of mind, she knew that Ruy was not fake.

But the question still remained.

"Why did you run?"

Son of a BITCH this was a long and hard chapter to write. 

Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!

_Sibylline_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 127 23
"No matter how far you are or how much danger you are in, you can always count on the people you love to rescue you." *COMPLETED*✔️ Hermione had just...
5.9K 66 7
A young woman slowly falls in love with General Grievous. (A Star Wars Fan Fiction) Contains adult content / sexual content. Also may contain grammar...
1.1M 49.3K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
3K 85 40
Lizzie (LDShadowLady) and Joel (SmallishBeans) moved into a Boarding School as batchmates. They had always liked each other, but they never confessed...