Dirty Money

By ThomasBerryman

In a corrupted world, whom can you trust? The family and the business is shrinking under the strain of the fa... More

Prologue - The Families
Chapter 1 - The Brenalli Crew
Chapter 2 - Mario
Chapter 3 - Retaliation
Chapter 4 - Willows
Chapter 5 - Harold
Chapter 6 - Progression
Chapter 7 - Crackdown
Chapter 8 - Alonzo
Chapter 9 - Celebrations
Chapter 10 - Chuck
Chapter 11 - Hiding
Chapter 12 - Discoveries
Chapter 13 - Donny
Chapter 14 - Business
Chapter 15 - Cherry
Chapter 16 - Pardon
Chapter 17 - Philip
Chapter 18 - Rai
Chapter 19 - Gambling
Chapter 20 - Farewell
Chapter 21 - Rags
Chapter 22 - Expansion
Chapter 23 - John
Chapter 24 - Delivery
Chapter 25 - Thomas
Chapter 26 - Meetings
Chapter 27 - Homecoming
Chapter 28 - Massage
Chapter 29 - Blood
Chapter 31 - Property
Chapter 32 - Sammy
Chapter 33 - Information
Chapter 34 - Crumbling
Chapter 35 - Dirty Money - R.I.P

Chapter 30 - Michael

1K 17 5
By ThomasBerryman

            The government car was parked in the busy CBD of Contro City in an underground car park of a restaurant complex. In the driver seat sat a woman in her thirties who Bill introduced as Detective Merraline, next to her was Bill; Contro’s superintendent, head of both police, and Special Forces.

            “You have to give me something Sammy,” Bill said, desperate.

            “I told you, I haven’t got anything I only just got out,” Sammy said, looking out cautiously at other cars entering the vicinity. The car park was a little too well lit and was almost full of cars of people attending lunch at the popular restaurants.

            “You think you’re the first person to use that line?” Bill asked, opening his bottle of water.

            Sammy sighed, he knew if he did not play the game Bill would turn him in and he would be fucked either way. “There’s going to be a truckload of fridges being housed somewhere soon.” The young soldier looked at Detective Merraline and was waiting for her to start bombarding him with questions, as every other detective did when they were first introduced to him; which he hated, each time it felt like the world was growing smaller under him.

            Bill took a swig of his water and swallowed, “Good, so where is it going to be happening?”

            “I honestly don’t know yet, but when I do I will call. They’re trying to get me to be a part of it, but that won’t be happening.”

            “Good man,” Bill said, as he screwed the plastic lid back on to the bottle, “How you going for money? You eating okay?” The superintendent asked.

            “Business is slow, you know? I got to kick most of my shit up to my supervisor,” Sammy said, his voice a little annoyed.

            “And that is?”

            “I don’t know, I’m sure you read the papers. Things are fucked up right now,” Sammy lied, he was not about to rat out Sin as his boss.

            “Yeah I read the papers,” Bill held up the most recent edition of The Contro Chronicles, with the headlines Drug War Massacre: Twenty confirmed dead. “I got to give a press conference on this shit today. You know anything about those narcotics detectives who got clipped?” Bill asked.

            “I just know of the one guy…Thomas Salks, and he was as dirty as they come, but that’s all I know I never dealt with him, he was on Chuck’s payroll,” Sammy said.

            “Yeah we were investigating him for some time, but he was just as hard to get out at the bosses,” Bill said, disappointed.

            “Am I good to go now?” Sammy asked.

            “Yeah, make sure you call about that truck, I don’t want to be let down again.”

            Sammy opened the door and then closed it again without leaving the car.

            “What’s wrong?” Bill asked, curious.

            “Ah, I was just wondering…how Yeral is doing?” Sammy asked. 

            Bill gave a faint smile, “He’s tough. Right now he’s in rehabilitation getting use of his legs again.”

            Rolled was closed and Light Spree Avenue was quiet due to the slightly heavy rain setting in. Sin waited for Alonzo Senior to enter through the fortified door first, which was being held open by Vincent. He felt inside his jacket for the handgun he quickly loaded before leaving the car wash. It felt like Carlos was breathing right down his neck.

            “Hurry the fuck up will you? It’s pissing down sideways out here,” Carlos snapped.

            Sin took a deep breath and entered the back of the tobacco shop, as he did Vincent left closing the door behind him. Sin moved his hand inside his jacket for the weapon but stopped upon seeing Albert sitting at the table that was covered in food and drink. “Sin, sit down,” Albert said.

            Alonzo Senior and Carlos took their seats at the table respectively. Sin spotted Mike sitting in the corner silently watching everything that was happening around the room, but paying particularly close attention to the door.

            “What’s all this?” Sin asked, taking a seat more relaxed.

            “Lunch kid,” Alonzo Senior said, pouring Sin a glass of wine.

            Albert checked his watch, and looked at the only other vacant seat in the room. Keys could be heard jangling faintly on the other side of the fortified door, which had not been fully locked from the inside. Vincent once again held it open and Eddie entered the room, wearing a fine suit. The soldier, who was a few years older than Sin shook hands with every one in the room and sat down once Vincent, had left again.

            “You’re probably wondering why we’re here today,” Albert said.

             Sin gave a nervous laugh, “The way these two were acting, I thought I was on my way to the morgue.”

            Albert shot a dirty look at Alonzo Senior. “We was just having fun,” Alonzo Senior said, laughing.

            “As you are both well aware, we’ve lost a lot of good people over the last year, most recently it was Benny, may he rest in peace. Now we got crews that need leaders, and good leaders. You two have shown more initiative and ability to earn under difficult times than almost anyone I’ve ever met,” Albert said.

            “Almost,” Carlos said, smiling.

            “Thanks Al,” Sin said.

            “Yeah thanks,” Eddie quickly added.

            “Sin, you basically been running your own small crew anyway, and Eddie, you’ve shown great promise. Management have discussed it and from today onwards you two are going to be captains,” Albert said, proudly.

            The two new captains’ shook each other’s hands and thanked the other bosses. “To our new capos,” Carlos said, raising his glass. Each man raised his glass and toasted.

            “Eddie, naturally you’re taking control of Benny’s crew, who had already absolved most of Mario’s…you know most of the guys well enough there now, but you’re going to move a couple over to Sin, who already has his own little crew. Carlos will be taking in what’s left of Harold’s mob, and when Domenic, gets out he’ll regain his old crew who I’ve been watching over along with during his incarceration,” Albert said.

            “The next year is going to be a better one,” Alonzo Senior said.

            “From now on, any business that needs to be discussed— the captain’s will meet with Alonzo here, he’ll pass it on to Carlos, who will then advise me of the situation and we will go from there,” Albert said.

            “Now let’s eat,” Carlos said, rubbing his stomach.

Michael checked the new locks on the doors as the locksmith exited out the back; escorted by his soldier Brian. Terrence, his most trusted hitter sat on one of the high kitchen stools swinging around bored. “Bethany?” Michael called.

His wife returned from inside the living room where she was entertaining their two children. “Yes my love?” She asked, her eyes darting to the small gun her husband held in his hand.

“Take this, it’s loaded,” Michael said, handing her the weapon, “That there is the safety, if anyone forces their way in here you squeeze the trigger continuously until it is empty.” 

Bethany examined the gun in her hand it was heavier than she had expected, “I still don’t understand what is happening.”

“Either do I,” Michael said, placing his hand around her neck and kissing her on the forehead. “One of the guys will be sitting guard at the front, if you get scared you can talk to him, but I’d prefer it if you stayed inside alright?”

Bethany nodded nervously, “Is this something to do with what happened to Chuck?” 

“I don’t know,” He said, kissing her again, “I got to go.” 

Michael and Terrence made their way to his shed where Brian was waiting for them with beers in hands. They entered the tin building that was stacked with all sorts of power tools, junk, and stored house hold items. Michael unscrewed the lid off his beer and took a large mouthful.

“I still don’t think we should go,” Brian said.

“It’s a set up for sure,” Michael agreed.

“So why go?” Brian asked, confused.

“Because, he killed Brendan, and I’ll be next I can guarantee it, this isn’t a meeting to talk about the future, it’s supposed to be the end of mine.”

“Let’s go and do this,” Terrence said.  

“I feel for Brendan’s wife, they got five kids at home,” Michael said.

“How we going to handle it?” Brian asked.

“I know Charlie’s style. He’ll meet me alone and then someone will be coming to surprise me during the meet. You two take out whoever he has waiting while I’m meeting with Charlie and then come get me as soon as you do,” Michael said.

Michael approached Charlie cautiously in the empty warehouse. Charlie was much smaller than him, but still stood cockily waiting holding his jacket open showing he had no weapons. Michael did the same. “Hey are you brother?” Charlie asked.  

“Fine.”

“A little cold,” Charlie said, smiling.

“Cold is what you did to Brendan,” Michael said, adjusting one of his gold bracelets.

“It had to be done, anyways I’m here to make you an offer,” Charlie said.

“I’m all ears,” Michael said.

“You work for me, second in command, we’ll make more money then we ever did in the Chuck days,” Charlie said.

Brian and Terrence crept quietly around the back of the warehouse and sure enough a man wearing a baseball cap was holding a gun and looking at his watch for the right time to enter and kill Michael. Terrence adjusted his silencer to his handgun and kept on creeping toward the back of the man waiting. Brian began adjusting his weapon for the same silent effect as his partner.

The two maneuvered around the concrete yard being careful not to trip on any of the wire or debris littered about the ground. They finally reached a burnt out car near the backdoor where the assassin was patiently waiting; the baseball cap wearing man put his hand down containing the watch and began for the backdoor.

Terrence stopped the silent stalk and quickly positioned himself behind the man and pressing the silencer to the back of his head pulled the trigger, sending a spatter of blood and brains everywhere.

“Well that does all sound convincing Charlie,” Michael said, sighing.

Charlie briefly glanced behind him at the back door and than back to Michael, “So are you in?”

Michael gave a faint laugh, “You really expect me to believe that you invited me here today to offer me a deal of a lifetime?”

“Why’d I bring you here then?” Charlie asked, glancing at the backdoor again.

“To whack me.”

The backdoor began to open, “You got it kid,” Charlie said, smiling.

“I know.”

Michael watched intently as Charlie’s smiled faded upon seeing Brian and Terrence enter with guns raised and pointed at him.

“You were always the smart one,” Charlie said.

“I was always the loyal one,” Michael said.

Terrence and Brian reached the two bossed and stood either side of Michael. “So this is it. Finish it.” Charlie said.

Michael nodded in approval to Terrence and Brian who both simultaneously opened fire, riddling Charlie’s face and body with bullets before he even hit the ground. 

“Brian, I want you to get word around there’s a new hierarchy in the organization. Charlie’s time is over. Terrence, I want you to go and take out one of Charlie’s key guys…the rest will fall into line,” Michael said.

“Congratulations,” Salvatore and Alonzo Junior both said at the same time.

“Thanks,” Sin said, sitting in his office chair, “Where’s Sammy?”

“He had to run a few errands,” Alonzo Junior said.

“I’m going to talk to the other’s about getting you straightened out Alonzo,” Sin said.

“I’m ready for it,” Alonzo Junior said.

“A lot more responsibility and accountability,” Salvatore said, warningly.

“As I said, I’m ready for it.”

 “You’ve made your bones, but Sal is right, you’ll be expected to bring in at least double what you are now, and no light envelopes at the end of the week or we get interest developing. That’s just how it works, Sal and me had to do the same thing. The bosses expect their amount each week and if it’s not met…well shit runs downhill in this thing of ours as you know,” Sin said.

A/N: Michael the new boss? Thoughts on Alonzo Junior moving up in the world?  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Bloodlust By vittoria

Mystery / Thriller

154K 3.2K 47
Cosa Nostra. Armani Blood. Ruthless men. One principessa. ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾🌑︎ The Cosa Nostra has been around...
1.9M 67K 49
Fiction Awards Winner 2016 in General Fiction Category Book 1 of the New York Mafia Series: Summary: What happens when an innocent and kind hearted...
598 35 23
So...what happens when you go to a strip club owned by the mafia and see your crazy ex, your with your friends-who by which hate his guts-and you get...
2.9M 55.1K 34
"It really is a shame that such a pretty face is about to get so fucked up." I say as I run my finger down his jawline. "Even more so that it was was...