Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Suspects Renamed

910 33 9
By LeeraIvy

Some scenes and dialogue used from The Clone Wars Season 5: Episode 18

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Later that evening, Riyo made her way down to Padmé's apartments. The Naboo guards let her in without hesitation. Padmé was waiting in the main room. "I believe I promised you a story?" She laughed as Riyo joined her.

    "That you did. How did you and Anakin wind up together?" Riyo asked.

    "Well, we met when I was still the Queen of Naboo. Our ship was damaged during our escape from the Trade Federation blockade. Were you in the Senate when that happened?"

    Riyo shook her head. "I was appointed Senator shortly afterwards. Before that, I only served on Pantora."

    "Ah. Well, Master Kenobi, then a padawan, and his master, Qui Gon Jinn, were assigned as my body guards. We met Anakin in a parts dealer's shop. He had a crush on me right away, from what he's said. I didn't return his feelings until the beginning of the war."

    Riyo knit her brows. "Aren't you older than Anakin?"

    "Yes, I'm five years older than him."

    "I see. Continue."

    "After the Queen asked me to serve as a senator, it became clear that a few people didn't like that. Nute Gunray hired a bounty hunter to kill me. He and another bounty hunter almost succeeded several times. The Jedi Council appointed Anakin as my bodyguard and we returned to Naboo. While we were there, we grew closer."

    Padmé smiled, almost wistfully. "While we were there, he began to have nightmares about his mother, so we went to Tatooine to find out what was happening. She died. We then had to go to Geonosis to rescue Obi Wan."

    "That's when the war began?" Riyo asked.

    Padmé nodded. "War was declared and Anakin and I returned to Naboo. We were married in secret."

    Riyo nodded slowly. "Well, that's not something you hear about everyday."

    "Definitely not. Now, are you going to tell me a secret story of your own?" Padmé elbowed her suggestively. "I know you must have someone."

    Riyo bit her lip. She did just tell me about her and Anakin, although I had already guessed it. She nodded. "All right. He's a clone."

    "A clone?" Padmé arched an eyebrow. "Don't tell me. I want to guess." She closed her eyes and knit her brows, thinking. "Commander Thorn?"

    Riyo shook her head. "I've never actually met him."

    "Commander Thire?"

    "I've only spoken with him a few times."

    "Is it someone in the Coruscant Guard?" Padmé asked. "Someone with a high rank?"

    Riyo nodded. "You've met him on several occasions."

    "Commander Stone?" Padmé guessed again. Riyo chucked and shook her head. "That just leaves Fox then." Riyo smiled and felt a hint of warmth touch her cheeks. "It's Fox!" Padmé laughed. "Really? I thought he was so serious and stiff."

    "He can be," Riyo agreed, "but he's also thoughtful and loving."

    "I'm pretty sure he only treats you and his brothers that way."

    "You're probably right."

    "How did that happen?"

    "We spent some time together after he was commissioned to protect me last year. It just happened."

    "That's sweet," Padmé smiled.

    They fell silent abruptly as the door hissed open and Representative Binks flounced into the room. "Senator Padmé! There sa urgent message for yousa!"

    "An urgent message? From who?" Padmé stood.

    "Issa from a Jedi." Jar Jar cast a nervous look towards Riyo. "Eh, Ani."

    "If you'll excuse me, Riyo, I need to see what's going on."

    Riyo stood too. "Of course. I'll see you tomorrow, I'm sure. Goodnight." She stepped out of the apartments and headed up to her own. Fox should be there tonight. He said he was coming, she thought.

    However, there was no one but her guards and attendants when she reached her apartments at last. Riyo tilted her head, somewhat confused. She entered her office and spied her transmitter blinking. Riyo accepted the transmission quickly.

    A hologram of Clay appeared. "Fox said to tell you that he might not be able to come after all. Something came up with the prisoner. Commander Tano is coming to interview her and he has to be around in case she learns something."

    Riyo nodded and tried to hide her disappointment. "Thanks for letting me know." She switched the transmitter off and went to her room.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Republic Military Prison
Commander Fox

    Fox waited in the command center. Admiral Tarkin had sent a transmission, letting him know that Commander Tano was on her way. He hoped the young Jedi would be able to get some answers out of Letta, or prove if her statements were true. Clay returned to his post shortly. He'd been sending Riyo a transmission, as Fox had asked.

    The door hissed open a moment later and a young Togruta female entered. Fox watched as she approached. "Yes?"

    "I'm Commander Tano," she said, raising a hand to her chest. "Letta Turmond requested to see me."

    Fox crossed his arms. "A lot of innocent people died in that blast. Good job capturing her." Commander Tano gave him a hesitant smile. Fox turned to Clay. "All right. Scan her."

    Clay nodded and bent over his control panel. The scan commenced. An outline of her body appeared on the monitor. Three spots lit up with blinking red dots and a small alarm.

    Commander Tano swallowed. "Leave your commlink and lightsabers here," Fox instructed. She obeyed and removed them, then placed them in the small hole beneath the glass divider. "Follow me." Fox joined her in the hallway and took the lead. Clay and another clone fell in step behind them.

    They turned to an adjoining hallway, split into sections by red plasma beams. The gates deactivated and they continued on. Fox turned down another hallway and unlocked one of the cells. Letta was seated inside, her gaze fearful and anxious still. Commander Tano entered.

    "What do you want, Letta?" She asked, her tone full of disdain.

    Letta swallowed before quietly answering. "I was told if I ever needed help, you were the Jedi to contact." Commander Tano looked skeptical, but allowed her to continue. Letta glanced towards Fox.

    "Give us a minute, please," Commander Tano said.

    Fox hesitated, then stepped back out of the cell. He sealed the door once again. They started walking back towards the command center. "Do you think she'll learn anything?" Clay asked.

    "I don't know," Fox replied. "I hope so. Letta was saying that a Jedi was involved, but Admiral Tarkin didn't believe her. Maybe she thinks Commander Tano will."

    They reached the command center. One of the clones, Wit, turned towards them. "Sir, one of our security cameras doesn't have sound."

    "That's odd. Get a technician up here to look at it," Fox ordered.

    "Right away, Sir." Wit turned away.

    "Are you going to see Riyo after Commander Tano leaves?" Clay whispered.

    "Maybe. I don't know."

    "Prisoner health critical," a mechanical voice blared, interrupting them. "Holding cell 173."

    Fox narrowed his eyes, turning towards Wit. On the security camera, he could see Letta's body hovering in the air. She clawed at her throat. Fox's gaze landed on Commander Tano's outstretched arms. She's going to kill her! He realized.

    "Commander Fox, the prisoner!" Wit exclaimed.

    Fox drew his blasters and ran from the command center. "Follow me." Wit and Clay grabbed theirs as well and chased after him. They reached the cell, but it was too late. Commander Tano crouched over Letta's lifeless body.

    "Blast it," Fox heard Clay hiss.

    "I...don't know what happened," Commander Tano said, her expression full of panic.

    Clay pushed past them and knelt beside Letta. He held two fingers to her neck. "Commander, she's dead."

    Fox gritted his teeth. Tarkin isn't going to like this. He struggled to find the right words. "I can't say I blame you, Commander Tano," he said finally. "But all the same, you're under arrest." He pointed his blaster at her back.

    She raised her hands, her voice quavering. "I...no, no, no! I did not do this!"

    "On your feet slowly," Fox ordered. She stood, her hands shaking.

    "Please, I didn't do this."

    "Contact Admiral Tarkin and tell him what has happened," Fox said to Wit. He nodded and ducked out of the cell. Clay fell in step with Fox as they escorted Commander Tano to a different and more secure cell. This is not at all how this was supposed to go, Fox groaned to himself.

    Nearly half an hour later, Admiral Tarkin arrived. "Take me to her," he demanded, as soon as he reached the command center. Fox nodded to Wit. He stepped out of the command center and escorted the Admiral down a hall. Another clone joined them, before they disappeared from sight.

    "Here comes trouble," Clay whispered.

    Fox stifled a sigh and turned. The door hissed open again and General Skywalker stormed into the command center. "Where is my padawan?"

    "She's in a secure holding cell, Sir," Fox replied. "I'm sorry, but you can't see her."

    "My padawan is in there. I need to talk to her!"

    "You can't."

    "I said, my padawan is in there," General Skywalker growled. "Now step aside."

    "General Skywalker, Admiral Tarkin has ordered that no one be allowed in there." Fox willed his voice to stay calm, despite his own weariness and frustration.

    General Skywalker's features contorted with anger. He clenched his robotic hand into a fist. "I don't care what she's accused of. Let. Me. In." He took a step closer to the glass divider, raising his fist.

    Fox stepped back and glanced at one of the clones standing guard. Two of them activated their electorstaffs and moved towards General Skywalker. "Sorry, Sir. The Admiral's orders stand. This is now a military operation and under his jurisdiction," he explained. General Skywalker's gaze shot daggers at him. He stepped back though, and allowed himself to be escorted out.

    "Well, that went better than I expected," Clay said when he was out of earshot. "I thought he might've ignited his lightsaber through your head."

    Fox didn't even smile. "He might still. Has someone been by to check the audio on the security cameras yet?"

    "No. We sent for someone though."

    "I don't understand it. We've never had issues with them before."

    "What are you saying?" Clay asked.

    "Commander Tano said she didn't kill Letta, but there's no audio on the camera to prove it. What if someone tampered with it?" Fox surmised.

    "It's not possible. They would've had to be in the facility and there's hardly anyone here but us. A clone wouldn't do that. It's probably just some faulty wiring. Besides, the footage seemed clear enough to me."

    "You're probably right. Still." Fox glanced at the cameras again. He could see into Commander Tano's cell from there. She was laying on the bunk, as though she were asleep. He turned back to Clay. "Have you heard from Wit or Diver?"

    "They were taking Admiral Tarkin to see Commander Tano."

    Fox jerked his head towards the security camera. "They're not there anymore, are they? Wit and Diver should've been back here by now, unless Admiral Tarkin gave them different orders."

    "That is weird. Maybe they went to one of the other control rooms?" Clay suggested.

    "I'll go check." Fox stepped out of the command center and quickly headed towards one near Commander Tano's cell. He opened the door and froze. She was standing on the other side of the glass with her lightsabers in hand. "What's going on here?" Fox whipped out his blasters, hoping he wouldn't have to use them.

    "It wasn't me," Commander Tano replied quickly.

    Fox ran to a control panel and activated the alarms. Instantly, red lights flashed and a jarring sound blared throughout the prison. Commander Tano took off running. Fox activated his comm. "Alert. Alert. The Jedi prisoner has escaped!" Fox tugged off his helmet and rubbed his forehead. This is not shaping up to be a good day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 336 53
-Part of the 'Heart of Empire, Heart of Rebellion' Series- ---- CT-7209, named Kando, is the Commander of Breaker Squad, an elite mobile squad in the...
10.9K 312 27
As Amylin Amidala, a newly promoted Jedi Knight, helps lead the way through the clone wars, the unexpected happens.. and she finds herself debating a...
195K 4.7K 102
Anakin Skywalker X Female Reader "What are you sorry for, your love or your arrogance?" Through impending circumstances, Jedi Padawan y/n y/l/n, stu...
5.3K 228 43
~ Intuition - Book 1 - Rex and Lenora ~ ~ ''They told me, ''Be sensible with your new love. Don't be a fool, thinking this is the last you'll find.'...