Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Temple Bombing

964 36 37
By LeeraIvy

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Coruscant Guard Barracks
Commander Fox

    Fox knelt beside Jairo's bunk and rummaged around in the drawer beneath it. He'd hoped to find some clue about his brother's location, but so far, he'd found nothing. I've got to find out where he went before someone else does, he told himself for the thousandth time. It's not like anyone else will try to help.

    The door hissed open, revealing Clay and Archer. "What are you doing?" Clay asked. Fox turned his back towards them and kept searching.

    "That's Jairo's stuff," Archer protested.

    "Well, it doesn't look like he needed it much."

    "You're not going to find anything in there." Archer grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. "Jairo isn't stupid. He wouldn't have left anything that would've said where they went."

    "So I was right. You both knew that they left together. Riyo knew too," Fox growled.

    "I told you to leave her alone." Clay crossed his arms. "Besides, of course they left. Why would they stay?"

    "Because Jairo has a duty to the Republic? Mairin had obligations towards Riyo?"

    "Fox, have you stopped to think about what staying would mean for them?" Archer asked. His eyes snapped with frustration, an uncommon expression for him. Clay shook his head, but Archer ignored him. "Their child would've been raised without knowing who Jairo was. Mairin would've received millions of questions. Those questions would only increase when the child was born, likely bearing strong resemblance to all of us."

    "Then..." Fox scrubbed at his face. "That would be their own fault."

    Both Clay and Archer looked shocked. "What is wrong with you? You're not at all who you were two months ago," Clay exclaimed.

    "I don't want them to get in trouble. If I find them before anyone else, then they have a chance of being safe!"

    "How would that fix anything?" Archer asked.

    "I don't know. Maybe the Chancellor could help somehow."

    "The Chancellor?" Archer raised an eyebrow. "You've got to be kidding me. Is that who you've been going to the Senate Building to meet with?"

    "So what if I have?"

    "So what? There's something going on with him. Everyone can see it. I don't trust him. Neither did Jairo. I don't think you should either."

    "That's enough." Fox jumped to his feet, glaring at Archer. "The Chancellor is a good man and he's the head of the Republic. He deserves our respect and trust more than anyone."

    "He's never done anything to earn it other than authorize the formation of the army when the war began," Archer scoffed. "I've never once seen him take a stand for us clones."

    "Get to your post," Fox snapped. Archer met his gaze with an even glare, then stormed out of the barracks. Clay remained. "You can leave too, if you just plan on yelling at me."

    "I plan on talking to you. What's wrong? What's really going on?" Fox turned away again. Clay grabbed his shoulder and twisted him back around. "You might be my commander, but you're also my brother. Even though I'm mad at you, I want to help. This has gone on long enough."

    "He knew," Fox muttered.

    "Who knew what?"

    "The Chancellor. He knew about Riyo and I. I don't know how, but he did. He told me that he's worried about a conspiracy within the Republic and he thought she might be a part of it. She might've been using me."

    "Do you really believe that?"

    Fox shook his head. "Of course not. She would never do anything to hurt the Republic."

    "Who does the Chancellor suspect is part of the conspiracy?"

    "The Jedi Council."

    "But the Jedi are our friends and leaders?" Clay knit his brows together, confused.

    "I know. I don't believe they are planning anything, but I had to be careful. He reminded me that Riyo has many friends who are Jedi. If they really do plan to take over, they could use her, along with other senators, as a way to gain control. I made a deal with the Chancellor. He promised to keep her under his protection," Fox admitted, finally.

    "What kind of deal?"

    "I can't tell you."

    "Why?"

    "I just can't."

    Clay shook his head and brushed some silver hair back. "You're telling me that all of this happened because you were afraid of something that might never even happen?"

    "I wanted to be cautious."

    "I think you didn't know what you wanted. I think you knew what fears you had and the minute someone discovered them, you took the easiest path to hide them."

    "No, that's not it."

    Clay sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever you say. What do you plan to do now?"

    "What I've been doing."

    "Even when it's so clearly making you unhappy?"

    "What else can I do?"

    "Well for one, you can talk to Riyo. Explain everything and apologize."

    Fox smiled a bit. "I thought you didn't want me to talk to her."

    "I don't, but I'm sure she'd want to hear it. Oh, and secondly, you can apologize to Archer and I. Jairo too, if he ever comes back."

    Fox nodded after a moment. "Then, I'm sorry."

    "Good. You've kind of acted like a nerfherder for a while." Clay clapped a hand on his shoulder. "I've got to get back. Go find Archer."

    "I will," Fox promised. He watched as Clay left the barracks. There's just one problem. Even if I fix things with them and Riyo, there's still the Chancellor. I doubt he'd be eager to break off our deal when he's so certain of an attack from the Jedi. He pushed the thoughts down and quickly headed towards a speeder.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Jedi Temple
Archer

    Archer entered the Temple, still seething with anger. He quickly headed down to the hangars, hoping that work would drive the thoughts away. Archer reached the gunship that he was supposed to help fix. His partner, Jackar Bowmani, was already there.

    "You seem angry today," Jackar said. He tossed a tool to Archer.

    Archer snatched it from the air and set to work. "Sometimes that's how a day goes."

    "What's wrong?"

    Archer bit his lip, thinking. "You can't tell anyone about this."

    "All right?" Jackar paused momentarily, his one eye blinking in confusion.

    "You remember Jairo, right?"

    Jackar nodded. "The mute clone who followed you around? I haven't seen him in a day or two."

    "He left."

    "You mean...he deserted the army?" Jackar whispered.

    Archer nodded. "If you tell anyone, I will push you off a landing platform."

    Jackar chuckled. "Don't worry. I'm not keen on flying. Why'd he leave?"

    "His girlfriend found out she was pregnant. They didn't want to have to hide the baby or keep it ignorant of him so they chose to leave."

    "I thought you clones weren't supposed to have girlfriends or families or anything of the kind."

    "We aren't."

    "Well, that's not something you hear about everyday. Congratulations to them, though. It takes guts to do something like that." Jackar smirked a bit. "I doubt Letta and I will have any children. She's been acting weird lately. Honestly, I think she wants to split up." Jackar furrowed his brow. "Actually, she's acted that way ever since she started hanging out with some Mirialan girl. I've never met her, personally. I've just seen her from a distance."

    "That's a bit odd," Archer agreed. He continued to work, letting some of his anger fade away. He glanced up as someone walked past the hangar door. "Padawan Offee has been hanging around down here a lot."

"Who?" Archer pointed, where Barriss stood in the doorway, watching them. "That's her!" Jackar hissed. "That's who Letta has been hanging out with."

    "Are you sure? What would a Jedi Padawan be doing with Letta?"

    "I don't know."

    They both bent over the open panels of the gunship as Barriss suddenly looked towards them. Archer set to work again. Jackar picked up his tool, then froze.

    "Jackar?" Archer glanced at him.

    "I don't feel so good," Jackar whispered. He slumped to the ground, the green pallor of his skin becoming paler.

    Archer looked towards the door. Barriss was gone. He faced Jackar again. "Come on. Let's get you some help." He slipped an arm around Jackar and helped him up.

    They took a few steps towards the door. A second later, everything exploded into nothing.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Jedi Temple
Commander Fox

    Fox reached the Temple and landed the speeder. Alarms began blaring just as he stepped inside. Jedi ran to and fro, shouting. "What's going on?" Fox grabbed a clone by the arm.

    "Someone bombed one of the hangars," the clone replied.

    Dread filled his stomach. "Which one?"

    "Hangar B."

    Fox let go of the clone and ran towards the nearest set of stairs. He pushed his way through the throng of people and reached the hallway below. Smoke billowed from the hangar. A few screams and moans could be heard.

    Fox skidded to a stop as a fire crew began to douse the flames. His helmet became suffocating. No, no, no. This can't be...Archer! His thoughts screamed at him. I shouldn't have sent him back. This is all my fault.

    "Commander." A hand fell on his shoulder. Fox looked over and saw Barriss. "What happened?"

    "I don't know." He struggled to keep his voice from breaking.

    "Come on. We'd better let them do their work." Barriss shot a worried look towards the hangar, then started walking away. She beckoned for him to follow.

    Fox shook his head. I have to tell the Chancellor. He might be right after all. A
second thought occurred to him. And then...I have to talk to Riyo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221K 8.2K 79
Irel Kirsi is a newly appointed Jedi Knight when the Clone Wars arrives, bringing chaos into the galaxy she was sworn to protect. At the bidding of t...
10.9K 312 27
As Amylin Amidala, a newly promoted Jedi Knight, helps lead the way through the clone wars, the unexpected happens.. and she finds herself debating a...
3.3K 336 53
-Part of the 'Heart of Empire, Heart of Rebellion' Series- ---- CT-7209, named Kando, is the Commander of Breaker Squad, an elite mobile squad in the...
14.1K 639 46
Lesia Mirri never wanted to be a Jedi. The rules of the Code didn't sit well with her restless spirit. Lesia resisted their teachings and attempted t...