Commitment

By SusanGarod

Love is the glue: it makes people want to keep their commitment to someone, no matter what happens, just a sh... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76
Part 78
Part 79
Part 80
Part 81
Part 82
Part 83
Part 84
Part 85
Part 86
Part 87
Part 88
Part 89
Part 90
Part 91
Part 92
Part 93
Part 94
Part 95
Part 96
Part 97
Part 98
Part 99
Part 100

Part 77

35 2 0
By SusanGarod

Much to her annoyance mingled with her appreciation she realised he did an overnight at her place. In any case she was in no fit state to insist he goes. So, as a consequence she found herself waking up several times during the night to find him camped in a chair by her bed. The instant she opened her eyes, he was awake. He'd put the soup in a flask by the bed, and at every opportunity he insisted she have something to drink and made some attempt to have some soup.

It was obvious his grandfather and Loretta stopped by and brought Gray a change of clothing, and brought groceries for Regan. From the conversation she overheard him have with his grandfather in the morning, it was obvious that he'd seen to dairy herd on the first morning and Gray would continue to overseeing his own farm work, but hoped that his grandfather could stay with her and he would return in the evening to do the milking.

Lucy also phone in the morning seeking an update about Regan's status. Lucy said she was on her way back, and was at the airport and would be there by mid-afternoon. When Lucy reached Regan's place she had no real plans, she had a couple of days before she had to leave for another assignment. So she was really pleased when she saw Sam at Regan's place and learned about the plans.

Sam explained their tentative plans, he was helped with the milking for the first two days doing the early morning, and Gray hope to do the evening sessions, but he hoped his grandson would find a worker who could do a few hours here. Sam also explained that Regan was not expecting them to stay with her, and she was really cross when Gray stayed over last night and was adamant that he should not stay tonight. "Too much pride." Sam said.

"I will talk to her." Lucy said firmly. "Thanks for doing this." She knew that Sam did not drive. "Do you want me to drop you off at your place?"

Sam shook his head and smiled. "No. No need. Gray will be here soon. I can go with him back to our place. He will do the evening milking." He looked at the clock on the wall. "Just waiting for his arrival. I think he said he would be here by six."

"Ok. Anyway, thanks." She smiled. Lucy kissed his cheek. "Thanks for looking out for Regan."

His smiled vanished. "We did not look out for her. We should have stayed here. I saw her bedroom now, and compared with our bedrooms when we lived here, well, I feel really bad. She went into debt for us."

"That is not actually true. Well, part of it." Lucy said gently. "I am not sure if you know, but she inherited debts from her parents, and this farm was also in trouble before you came here." Lucy sighed. "I think her plan was to renovate this place, but at a more reasonable rate."

"And we forced the rate. Stocked with sheep and dairy and beef. And she renovated our bedrooms despite the fact she had no spare money."

"Yes. Sort of." She chuckled softly. "And I tried to use the same argument with her, that Gray had forced the progress because he wanted it, but she said she got more from this. Got an experienced manager without paying him the proper wages! And the farm was up running."

"I knew there was something wrong. She was always working. And if Gray wanted to talk to her about the farm, spending mainly, she ducked! I thought she was upset because he was dating Caro."

"What do you mean?" Lucy frowned.

"I thought she might be jealous of Caro?" Sam said bluntly, hoping to see if Regan's friend knew anything about this.

"What? You think she fancies your grandson?"

"Well, she was very kind to Gray."

"Regan is always kind!"

Sam shrugged. "Yes. True." He shrugged again. "I must have got it wrong."

Lucy hesitated. "You know what, I am going to ask her!" She smiled. "Not right at the moment, but I will ask her! Preferably with my mum around, because Regan would never lie in front of my mum!" She chuckled. Sam chuckled. "Anyway, I best go and see her. Again, thanks. And pass on my thanks to Gray."

"You can do that when he comes over."

Lucy nodded. "See you." She left the kitchen. As she walked down the corridor to Regan's bedroom, he wondered if Sam was right. It might explain why Regan supported Gray in her arguments with Lucy and Jenny about his shoddy behaviour leaving the farm!

Lucy talked to Regan and discussed Regan's health but nothing about her feelings for Gray. Instead they focused on her health. Lucy agreed with Sam, too much pride, but, she and Regan agreed that Regan did not need another doctor home visit. Regan was sure the antibiotics were working, she felt better and she was eating. Then they had another discussion about Lucy staying over with her, or coming to Lucy's house. She thought this discussion might lead to a conversation about Gray staying over last night and perhaps a lead into a conversation about her feelings for Gray.

"There is no need." Regan shuffled a bit, so that she could sit up.

"You need help." Lucy was perched on Regan's bed and reached forward to shift the pillow behind Regan's back.

"Did." Regan corrected "Not now!" She sitting in her bed, and was propped by various pillows. "Thanks." She snuggled against the pillows behind her back. "That feels good, thanks Lucy."

"No need?" Lucy snorted. "I just helped you with your pillows! What if I wasn't here?"

"I would find a way." Regan looked over at Lucy. "Lucy, can you get me a t-shirt."

"Why?"

"Cause I was wearing this yesterday, and I would probably need your help to change my t-shirt." She said quietly, "I probably smell!"

Lucy rolled her eyes, and headed for the chest drawers. "Any particular one?"

"No. Anything."

"Ok." Lucy retrieved a navy t shirt. Then stopped. "Actually, shall I get a towel and some warm water. You could have a wash."

"Ohh, that would be great. Thanks. Actually, you can help me and I can go to the bathroom" Regan reached for the corner of her duvet and flipped it off. But even that took energy. "I might have to settle for a damp towel wash, but can we try, you know, go to the bathroom."

"You sure?"

"Yes, you could allow me to lean on you. What do you think?"

"Can you manage that? No contractions? Dizzy spells?"

Regan said quietly. "Let's try. And can you get fresh underwear from the Chester drawers, and anything without zippers."

"You mean no trousers?" She looked at Regan's legs currently encased in chinos.

"Yes, I am still wearing what had on yesterday. Was rolling around in the mud, well, on the path."

"I can look at your wardrobe. I remember seeing a t-shirt dress, blue, I think, ages ago."

Regan nodded. "Yes, yes, I remember that. I think I still have that."

Lucy opened Regan's wardrobe, and found the t-shirt." "Perfect." She looked at Regan, "Will you need help to remove your chinos?"

"No, I think I can manage, might take a bit of time, a bit dizzy, but I will sit on the floor and get undressed." Regan reviewed her options, if she sat down on the floor in the bathroom, she could manage.

"Ok. Ready?" Lucy draped the dress over her shoulder, and was holding fresh underwear in her hand. Regan nodded, and perched on the side of her bed and waited. "You ok?"

Regan nodded. She need a goal. Or a prize. Feeling fresh would be her goal. "Ok" She got to her feet, wobbled a bit, but Lucy was there to grab her.

"Are you sure? This is going to be hard." Lucy kept her arms around Regan, "Should I get Sam to help us?"

"No. I can just lean on you and we just have to take our time to get to the bathroom." She inhaled and waited for her dizziness to fade.

"Are you sure?"

Regan nodded. "Yes. Ok." She took another breath. Her walk made a tortoise's pace fast. But with Lucy holding onto her waist, and Regan's arm laced around Lucy's shoulder, they made it to the bathroom. Thankfully, it was beside Regan's bedroom. Almost an en-suite.

"I am really looking forward to that shower, I could have a proper wash." Regan said as Lucy leaned Regan against the door jamb, placed the clothes on the stool, then reached again for Regan.

"You would probably fall in the shower." Lucy mumbled as Regan stumbled again.

"No. I will be ok. If you switch on the shower, leave the soap close on floor in the wet room and I can just kneel under the spray."

"Knee?" Are you kidding? How are you going to get to your knees without keeling over!"

"You can help me to get to the floor." Regan looked at her options. "Actually, can you help me with my tshirt?"

Lucy nodded. And she helped Regan. Not just with her t-shirt, but also with her chinos. But Lucy left Regan in her underwear, sitting on the floor and she, switched on the shower, moved the shower gel bottle to the floor.

Regan sighed. "I am sure I will feel better. And will smell better too!"

"Five minutes." Lucy said bluntly. "I will leave the towel and your clothes on the stool, but if you can't dress or undress, let me know. I will be camped outside your bathroom!"

"Actually, Lucy..."

"What?"

"Can you change my linen?" Regan asked with a rueful smile.

"Why?"

"I know I am taking advantage of you, but what is the point of getting clean if have to return to dirty sheets. I probably brought halve of the path's mud to my bed." Regan scowled and Lucy read her mind.

"Well at least you remembered to remove your boots."

"I didn't!" Regan mumbled. "I guess he did."

"You mean Gray?"

"Yes. He brought me to my bed. But I don't remember him removing my boots." She sighed.

"Which shows you were out! Honestly Regan, you should be back in bed, not considering a shower! It is just twenty fours later, and you can't remember him removing your boots." Lucy asked softly, "Are you in pain? Any contractions?"

"No. No pain"

"At least no temperature." Lucy scowled. "So? Be honest, Regan"

Regan exhaled, "Ok, fine. just a bit dizzy. I guess lack of food. But I feel better. Just a bit weak, that is all."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 784 44
(Not Edited) Its my first story and has many mistakes. But it gets better as it goes further. Erica Hale, a young girl in her early 21, her life is...
18.8K 563 100
When Douglas Hawke's grandmother and Isabelle Sojour-D'Sa's grandmother met at a wedding reception they had plenty of time to sit and talk. It didn't...
213K 6K 34
Planned Marriage? ... . Yes... someone planned her marriage which she thought fate's decision... but it was not. Everything was planned ..... Thinkin...
1.1M 41.9K 70
Most impressive rating #1 in friends and family #1in possessive #4 in forcedmarriage #6 in clumsy #10 in stubborn #55 in romcom #11 in billiona...