๐‰๐”๐’๐“ ๐…๐Ž๐‘ ๐€ ๐Œ๐Ž๐Œ๐„๐...

By -JASONSGRACE

when we're singing side by side, there's so much left unspoken. [ luke patterson x original character ] [ ju... More

disclaimer
just for a moment
epigraph
ONE: sunset curve
TWO: bad day
THREE: setting some boundaries
FOUR: bright
FIVE: wondering
SIX: flying solo
SEVEN: admitted crushes
EIGHT: pinky swear
TEN: from emily to emilia
ELEVEN: finally free
TWELVE: just for a moment
THIRTEEN: edge of great
FOURTEEN: she's so gone
FIFTEEN: unsaid emily
SIXTEEN: let them go
SEVENTEEN: let's paint the sky
EIGHTEEN: stand tall
author's note
CHARACTER Q&A
Q&A ANSWERS
author's note

NINE: broken promises

8.1K 353 256
By -JASONSGRACE

╔══════   °• ♖ •°   ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER  NINE:
broken promises

╚══════   °• ♖ •°   ══════╝

EMILIA KNEW SOMETHING was wrong when the clock struck nine-ten.

Flynn was able to keep the crowd of high schoolers happy and upbeat with the songs she was playing, but that wasn't enough to lift Emilia's spirits. The boys were able to appear in places quickly at any time, so why were they late? Surely they didn't forget about their first gig and break Emilia's pinky swear on showing up. She had grown fond of these boys (one a tad bit more than the others) and really didn't want them to break her trust.

Emilia was getting really tired of waiting. She leaned against a table backstage with her arms crossed. Julie seemed anxious as well, constantly moving around to try and keep herself busy.

"Is everybody fired up for Julie, Emilia, and the Phantoms?" Flynn asked the crowd.

The crowd cheered in response. Emilia and Julie shared a shocked glance. They hadn't had a name for their band yet, and here Flynn was, absolutely crushing it with the title.

"Great! Keep that fire 'cause that's later. We're a bit behind schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind-blowing beats."

They cheered again. Flynn kept her beat going as she walked back to the two backstage.

"Julie, Emilia, and the Phantoms?" Julie questioned.

"I had some free time in French class," Flynn answered. "And you both better like it, because I registered it on Insta, Snapchat, Twitter—"

"Flynn," Emilia cut her off with a slight laugh. "Come on, I love it. The only thing that would make it better is if the Phantoms were actually here."

Flynn then turned her attention behind her. She waved and sent a knowing look to Julie. Emilia's eyebrows knit in confusion. She turned, only to see her twin brother standing there. Emilia heard Flynn's footsteps walk away behind her, leaving her, Apollo, and Julie alone.

Emilia sighed, tucking her hands in her pockets. "Hey, Apollo. Thanks for coming."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Apollo replied. "This is your first big performance. Seeing you sing your heart up and be happy up there with Julie is kind of refreshing. I haven't seen you smile that big since we were thirteen. Although, the way that one guitarist looks at you makes me think he's got something to do with it."

Her entire face burned as red as her accessories. "Oh my God, shut up."

Apollo chuckled. "Plus, I couldn't wait to see and Julie play again. That song you performed at the Spirit Rally, Bright? It's been stuck in Nick's and I's heads for weeks."

"Well, someone should let it out," Julie voiced.

Emilia blinked at her. "What?"

Julie shook her head awkwardly. "I don't know what that meant either."

"Yeah, okay," Emilia muttered to herself before looking at Apollo. "Did you need anything else?"

"Nah, I just came to wish you guys luck." Apollo then glanced down at the floor. "Oh, hey. Sick shoes, Julie."

Emilia watched before her very own eyes as Julie became flustered. "U-Uh, thanks, Apollo. I doodle on them sometimes. There's flowers, stars, hearts—"

"Julie," Emilia interrupted before Julie could start rambling. "Your doodles are lovely."

"Yo, Apollo," Nick's voice called out, and Emilia peered over her brother's shoulder to look at him. "I'm getting some punch, you wanna come?"

"Yeah, I'm coming." Apollo then turned back to Emilia and Julie and gave them a large smile. "You'll crush it."

With that, Apollo followed after Nick. Julie sighed and looked at her phone, the time reading nine-fifteen.

Emilia nudged Julie with her elbow. "You and Apollo, huh?"

"No," Julie denied, obviously trying to play it off. "No way. He's your brother, that's just so—"

"Amazing?" Emilia finished. "Julie, I'm not mad. You obviously like him and he obviously likes you. Don't let me get in the way of that."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." Emilia slung an arm around her shoulder. "And now, we wait for three late idiots."

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙 ♔ 𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

AT THIS POINT, Emilia was beyond mad. It was two hours after their performance time and the boys were still nowhere to be found. She sat against the floor, her head resting on a wall with one leg tucked into her chest and the other spread out before her. Julie sat close to her with the projector they had to make it seem like Luke, Reggie, and Alex were actually holograms. The two of them could feel their hearts sinking to their stomachs as they slowly came to the conclusion the boys weren't coming. Emilia couldn't believe them.

Flynn rushed up to them from her place at the DJ table. "I can only stall for so long. It's eleven o'clock. I think you two should just play by yourselves. I mean, holograms or no holograms, you'll be amazing."

"You saw me the other day," Julie protested. "I can't play without them. Emilia probably could."

"Um, yeah, that's a no," Emilia cut in, playing with the laces of her shoes.

"They'll be here," Julie insisted. "They have to."

Emilia frowned. She wanted to believe it as well. Flynn tapped her wrist to signify time was running out and walked back to her table, yelling looking good, Bobcats! Emilia then looked up to see her brother walking backstage again.

"Hey Apollo," Emilia greeted.

Apollo sat in between her and Julie. "Are you having issues with your holograms?"

Julie gestured to the projector. "Always. Our machine won't work." Apollo then picked it up, but Julie was quick to stop him. "You don't have to."

"Yeah, Apollo, you're no technological genius," Emilia added in a bored tone.

"Quiet, Emilia." He then pulled on the cord, where Julie was holding the plug so it couldn't be plugged in. Apollo gently tugged it out of her hands. "I think I just solved your problem."

Apollo plugged it into the outlet and turned on the projector. Emilia looked back up towards the ceiling while letting out a deep breath.

He stood up and looked in between the two of them. "Did you not want it plugged in or something?"

Neither of them answered. He held his hand out to his sister, and Emilia used it to pull herself up. Apollo then did the same with Julie. He wrapped an arm around Emilia's shoulder and shook her a little bit. She let out a breathy laugh as Apollo looked to Julie.

"You can't let this crowd freak you guys out," Apollo told them. "Both of you are so incredibly talented. I know you can do it. Which is why . . ."

Apollo trailed off and let go of Emilia, turning and walking onto the stage. Emilia's eyes widened and she tried to get him to stop, but it was no use. She shared a panicked look with Julie.

He took the microphone from Flynn's stand. "Hi, everybody. My name's Apollo, and I just helped my little sister Emilia and her friend Julie fix the hologram projector. Are you ready to see them perform?"

The crowd cheered loudly.

Emilia shook her head. "I'm gonna kill him. I swear to God, I'm literally going to kill him."

"Give it up for Julie, Emilia, and the Phantoms!" Apollo exclaimed.

Apollo turned to them. He waved them on stage. Emilia glared at him and shook her head in disbelief. She slowly walked out onto the stage with Julie trailing behind her. Apollo handed her the microphone with a big smile. Emilia knew he meant well, but this . . . it was so utterly embarrassing.

"Hey," Emilia began awkwardly. "We have some bad news. Um . . . Apollo was able to help us fix the machines, thanks A." The crowd cheered for him. "However, Julie and I can't really seem to link up with the boys."

"Wi-Fi, am I right?" Julie added.

The crowd immediately went silent.

Emilia clenched the microphone tight. "Both of us are really sorry, but we have to cancel tonight."

Everyone made noises of disappointment.

Carrie Wilson then strutted up the stage. "Um . . . anybody know the Heimlich? Emilia and Julie are choking."

The students laughed. Emilia felt her cheeks burn red from embarrassment and anger.

"Watch it, Carrie," Apollo warned.

Carrie ignored him. "Only one way to save this dance." She walked up to them and took the microphone from Emilia. "Who wants to see Dirty Candy?"

The crowd cheered. Carrie reached out to the DJ table, but Flynn was quick to break off one of the knobs.

"Oops," Flynn stated. "Knob's broken."

"Okay. Two can play at this game." Carrie looked back at the crowd. "Party at my house!"

Everyone cheered. Carrie dropped the mic and walked off the stage while holding onto Nick's hand. The students all filed out of the gym after her.

Apollo stared at her sadly. "Emilia—"

"Go," Emilia responded. "I'll see you later. Have fun."

"Are you sure?"

She gave him a small, sad smile. "Yeah, I'm sure. Now go. You shouldn't keep Carrie and Nick waiting."

He nodded. Apollo gave one last wistful look to Julie before putting his hands in his pockets and walking out of the gym. Emilia sighed and wrapped her arms around Julie and Flynn's shoulders, moving them to stand at the end of the stage.

"Well, that kind of backfired," Flynn stated. She then pointed to the small boy that had been given Julie's spot in the music program before she won it back leading another girl onto the dance floor. "Oh, I mean, the whole night wasn't a bust. The new guy found someone." The two then began to slow dance while holding hands. "Little man has game!"

Julie leaned her head against Emilia's shoulder. Emilia rested her head on top of hers and sighed. And the amount of disappointment she felt was the same amount as when her parents began to miss out on everything she did.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙 ♔ 𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

THE CLOCK STRUCK midnight, and it wasn't a fairytale. Emilia, Julie, and Flynn all sat on the gym floor, absentmindedly popping balloons with pins. At this point, Emilia just wanted to slam her face into a pillow and scream for as long as her heart desired. That's how frustrated she was.

"I can never show my face at this school again," Julie announced.

Emilia blew some hair out of her face. "Same, but Apollo is definitely still going to force me to go. So you can drop out while I live in my misery."

Flynn sighed. "That's what we get for depending on boys."

Julie placed a hand to her forehead. "I don't know if I should be mad or worried. They're ghosts, I don't know what kind of trouble they can get into."

"Yeah, but they broke a pinky swear," Emilia replied, jabbing at a balloon with her pin. "Therefore, I'm mad."

"I'mma get us some ice cream from the cafeteria." Flynn held up a set of keys on a ring. "Fools gave me the keys." She then stood up. "We can crash at my place and forget about this whole nightmare."

Flynn stabbed a balloon and chuckled before walking off.

"Dibs on cookies and cream!" Emilia called to her.

"Give me two of everything!" Julie yelled.

Suddenly, footsteps running was heard. Emilia glanced up to see Luke, Reggie, and Alex sprinting into the gym.

"Julie! Emilia! We are ready to rock this dance . . ." Reggie trailed off once he noticed nobody else was there. The three boys all glanced around at the empty gym. "Which is clearly over."

Emilia stood up and crossed her arms, along with Julie. "Nice of you to show up."

"Look," Luke began. "We are . . . so, so sorry that we bailed on you."

"Yeah, I mean, the night really got away from us," Alex agreed.

"And the twins," Reggie added.

Luke slapped his arm. Emilia looked down and scuffed her red shoe against the ground.

"Just please tell me it had nothing to do with you getting back at Carrie's dad," Julie pleaded.

The three of them then stammered out how they definitely didn't do that. Emilia saw right through them.

"Seriously?" Julie asked. "You're lying to Em and I?"

"Okay, look, it was something we needed to do," Alex argued.

"B-But we'll do whatever it takes, we'll play the next school—" Luke listed off.

"What?" Julie cut in. "Another dance where you can bail on Emilia and I and makes us look like fools? Save it. You know what really sucks? Yours and Emilia's songs were good. And all three of you knew what I've been through, and how tough it's been for me to play, and then you do this? Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake."

"You mean the school dance, right?" Luke questioned.

"No. I mean joining a band with you guys." She then turned to Emilia. "Not you, Emilia, of course. You've been with me through it all."

Emilia squeezed her shoulder. Julie sent one last hurt look to the boys before rushing off.

"Julie . . ." Luke said, trying to stop her. "Julie!"

Emilia glared at them. She brushed through Luke and Alex and went to follow after her best friend.

"Lia, wait," Luke protested, grabbing onto her wrist.

She whirled around and ripped her wrist out of his grasp. "Wait? Oh, you want me to wait? Because I did. For three hours, Luke. Do you know how humiliating that is?"

"Emilia—" Alex began.

"You told me you would be here," she seethed, her voice slightly shaking. "You all told me you were going to be here, and then you got blind-sighted by Bobby. I thought Julie and I were more important to you than revenge."

Luke's green eyes turned sad. "You are. I promise—"

"Promise," Emilia repeated, cutting him off. "You wanna talk about promises? Okay, fine. Either you don't know what that word means or you just fail to keep them. Both options seem plausible, in my opinion." She scoffed. "Promises mean a lot to me and you just completely disregarded that fact. We wouldn't be where we are now if you stuck to your word."

They were all silent.

She blinked back tears. "You knew how important this was. Especially to Julie. You were the ones who finally helped her get her voice again, something that Flynn and I couldn't do for a year. That was all I ever wanted for her. And playing with you guys made me feel so good about myself. But now you've thrown it all away."

Luke stepped towards her, but Emilia stepped back, raising up a hand to stop him.

"Julie's right. Joining this band was a mistake. And the songs we wrote together . . . keep them for yourself. I don't want to hear them anymore."

"Emilia, please," Luke said, a begging tone in his voice. "Let us explain."

"There's nothing you can say," Emilia countered. "Just, please, leave me alone."

That was what sealed it. Emilia walked backwards a couple times before turning her whole body and making her way towards the doors. She finally reached them and pushed them open, leaving behind both the sound of doors slamming and three ghosts who humiliated her.

-ˋˏ ༻  ☁︎  ༺ ˎˊ-

poor baby em :(

also this story hit 10k reads a couple of days ago!!!!! thank you all so so so much for reading it literally means the world to me <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 243 17
๐ŸŒŸMOST IMPRESSIVE RANKINGS๐ŸŒŸ ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ #1 in #madisonreyes Skyler and Julie have been the best of friends for as long as they can remember. They are in...
66.3K 1.9K 23
๐™จ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š ๐™™๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ž ๐™™๐™ž๐™š, ๐™ž'๐™ก๐™ก ๐™˜๐™ก๐™ค๐™จ๐™š ๐™—๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ ๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ฎ๐™š๐™จ. ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™จ๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ž๐™ข ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™—๐™–๐™˜๐™  ๐™ฉ๐™ค...
5.8K 159 26
โ€ข ๐š ๐—ท๐˜‚๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐˜‚ โ€ข As summer begins, to move on from her mom's death, Julie decides to visit a new city with her best friend Flynn, soon she discov...
216K 4.5K 21
ไฟกใ˜ใ‚‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐’Š ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’๐’Š๐’†๐’—๐’† no music is worth making if we're not making it with you. โคฟ julie and the phantoms fanfiction โคฟ luke patte...