Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Double Sided Warning

1.5K 45 34
By LeeraIvy

Unknown: 20 BBY
Unknown
Unknown

It had been a while since she'd seen her friend. It was strange that she'd find her here, within these dreams. Or...maybe it was a vision. She couldn't tell for certain, yet. As she watched, her friend stepped out of a building and entered a magnificent garden.

A tall man was waiting for her there. They smiled at each other and began to dance. She recognized the man, but didn't know his name. There were thousands of others like him. Finally, they broke apart. The woman returned to the building and the man drifted into shadows.

The dream shifted around her and she was standing within a ballroom of sorts. Dozens of people twirled around. Some were familiar and others weren't. She saw her friend nearing a separate room. Two other women waited there. She followed them in.

The three women began to speak and pass around drinks. Someone said something and they all laughed. They drank, then, and carried on speaking. As she watched, two of the women ceased talking. Coughs erupted from them and a dark substance oozed from their mouths. She reached towards her friend, panic taking hold. They faded into darkness before she could call out.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo woke with a start and twisted beneath her sheets. Fox's arm tightened around her, although he remained asleep. She drew in a measured breath and let it out. She didn't know what had woken her.

She glanced around the room, but there was nothing out of place. Still, she couldn't shake the creeping sensation of being watched. Pale sunlight drifted through the windows into her bedroom. Someone would be by to check on her soon, unless she was up before they arrived.

Gently, Riyo slid out from beneath Fox's arm and headed towards her closet. Her gaze skimmed over the clothes. For a second, she stared at her ballgown. It was waiting to be worn that evening, at the Chancellor's Senate Ball. Already, the two weeks had gone by and the Ball was upon them.

Riyo had heard of nothing but the preparations since it had been announced. Some senators were complaining and others were excited. She wasn't sure how she felt about it, yet. She hoped it would be fun. Riyo selected an outfit and pulled it on quickly, then set to work brushing her hair.

Through the open door, she could see Fox. He made a small sound and rolled over. Riyo grinned to herself. In the days since the Festival of Light, she'd since very little of him. The only time they got together was when they managed to meet at the Senate Building or at night, when he made his way to her apartments.

Riyo stepped out of the closet and approached Fox. She kissed his forehead, gently. He cracked an eye open and groaned. "You'll want to be leaving soon," she whispered.

"I'll need to be leaving soon," he corrected. He covered his eyes with an arm.

"Go on before Clay comms you or Asha decides to self inspect my rooms," Riyo laughed. She swatted his arm and headed towards the door. She let it hiss shut behind her, before moving away from the bedroom.

Riyo entered the kitchen area shortly. Mairin was already there with some half prepared breakfast on the counter. Riyo joined her quickly and began to help. "Is he still here?" Mair asked.

"Yes, but he'll be leaving soon."

"Good. Asha was asleep the last I checked, but who knows for how long?"

"I'm surprised you're up early."

Mairin raised an eyebrow. "Well, we can't have two clones around here at the same time and Asha and I share a room. I lucked out."

"Has Jairo actually spoken to you yet?"

"No, and I don't know if he ever will. It's his decision though, and I'll love him regardless." Riyo glanced at her in surprise. "What? I can be mature when I want to be. Does your dress fit?"

"Like a glove. What about yours and did Asha find one as well?"

"Mine is ready and I don't know about Asha. I think she found one, but I haven't seen it. Where is the ball going to be?"

"Chancellor Palpatine called it the Flos Domum Regis. It's some sort of garden building, I think."

Mairin nodded. "Interesting. I'm excited to see it."

"Me too." They each handed each other a bowl and started eating. The bedroom door opened with a hiss and Fox stepped out. He joined them in the kitchen.

"Morning, Commander," Mairin laughed. "Your hair is a wreck."

He ran his fingers through it, self consciously. "I'll be going before someone else shows up." Fox stole Riyo's spoon and took a few mouthfuls. He scooped up another spoonful and stuffed it in her mouth with a laugh. "That's good, by the way." He gave them a small wave and left again.

Riyo pulled the spoon out of her mouth and swallowed. "I hope Captain Tere doesn't catch him on the way out."

"Why doesn't he leave earlier?"

"He usually does."

"I see. What's on your agenda today?" Mairin started to gather up ingredients and put them away.

"I'll need to contact Chairman Papanoida and tell him about the upcoming votes. Padme wants me to come and discuss a bill with her and Senator Organa. Other than that, nothing besides the Ball."

"I'd get to work, then."

"Duly noted." Riyo handed her bowl to Mairin and started towards her office.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center
Commander Fox

"Good. You're here." Clay was waiting outside of the prison on a landing platform when Fox arrived. The two of them headed inside shortly.

"I overslept," Fox replied sheepishly.

"I noticed. We're talking to Sib Canay and Far Modem today."

"Why?" Fox furrowed his brows beneath his helmet. "I thought they already told us what they knew."

"So did I. Far spoke to a guard last night though and said he knew something that we might want to investigate."

"He wasn't so willing to cooperate before."

"Well, you and I have both threatened him on occasion. I'd say that's all the convincing he needs. Now, he seems to think he's our own walking holonet."

"Hm. Let's see what he has to say this time." Fox followed Clay into a lift. They went down to the interrogation levels and stepped out again. Clay led the way into a room, where Far Modem was waiting.

"I'll let you talk to him," Clay said. "Canay can wait his turn." He ducked back out of the room and let the door hiss shut behind him.

Fox crossed his arms. "All right, Modem. What is it?"

"Canay can't hear me, can he?" The Neimoidian asked hesitantly.

"No, this room is soundproof from anyone standing outside."

"I overheard him talking to someone in his cell last night."

"There's no one else in Sib Canay's cell," Fox replied.

"Not in person. It was a transmission. The other person was using a voice scrambler, but they told Canay that they'd get the job done. I don't know what job they were talking about."

"Do you know how he got a hold of a transmitter?"

"No. My best guess is he stole it from one of your men, switched the frequency, and scrambled the signature."

"Are you sure you heard nothing else?"

"I might have heard a name. It sounded like Chuchi, but I don't know for sure."

Fox gritted his teeth against a growl. "I thought I told you that I'd shoot you where you stood if you so much as thought of her."

"I haven't forgotten! I'm just repeating what I heard!" Far raised his hands, pleadingly.

"You haven't told me anything substantial."

"It's obvious enough to me. Sib Canay has someone after Senator Chuchi."

"Well, thank you for the warning." Fox turned to leave.

"Don't I get something out of this?" Far cried.

"Maybe, if this actually proves useful. I'll make sure they give you extra meiloorun juice," Fox scoffed. He stepped back out of the cell.

"What'd he say?" Clay asked.

"He thinks Sib Canay is plotting an attack on Riyo."

"How?"

"He claims Canay had a transmitter and someone told him they'd finish the job. Far thinks he heard them mention her name."

"That's fairly vague."

"I agree, but I'm not taking any chances. You can question Canay. Tell me if you learn anything."

"Where are you going?"

"To the Senate Ball."

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

The late afternoon sun streamed into her office. Riyo leaned against her desk, resting her forehead in her palm. She skimmed over the bill that she had discussed with Padme and Bail Organa earlier.

The transmitter on her desk lit up, suddenly. Riyo pushed the datapad away and accepted the transmission. A hologram of a familiar woman appeared. "Irel!" Riyo exclaimed. "It's good to see you!"

"It's good to see you too, Riyo. I wish I could talk for a while, but I don't have much time."

She took in the nervous look in Irel's green eyes. "What is it?"

"Last night, I had a vision of you. I saw something terrible happen. I don't know what it was. My vision was clouded, for some reason. I can usually see things clearly when I have one, but not this time."

"I see." Riyo folded her hands together and let out a sigh. "If it's not one thing, it's another. Coruscant is full of dangers these days."

"Dangers lurk in every corner of the galaxy," Irel agreed.

"I'll be careful. Thank you for the warning. Before you go, how is your commander doing?"

Irel smiled softly. "He's fine."

"And Ziyah?"

"She's doing well too. Her training is progressing nicely. She hopes to see you again soon."

"Tell her I return the feeling. You should visit me the next time you come to Coruscant."

"We'll definitely try. I've got to go now, but be careful, Riyo."

"I will." They smiled at each other, before the transmission ended.

Riyo glanced out the window. The sun was sinking lower. She stood and headed towards the door. The Ball would be starting soon and she needed to be ready for anything, it seemed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 336 53
-Part of the 'Heart of Empire, Heart of Rebellion' Series- ---- CT-7209, named Kando, is the Commander of Breaker Squad, an elite mobile squad in the...
426K 8.1K 111
You are Obi-Wan Kenobi's padawan during the middle of the clone wars. After a battle that almost costs you your life, everything changes. Gender neut...
382 9 5
- Y/n, an ex-Sith become Jedi, and Rex, a Captain in the Grand Army of the Republic. How can a relationship like theirs work? Yet alone work on the b...
5.4K 228 43
~ Intuition - Book 1 - Rex and Lenora ~ ~ ''They told me, ''Be sensible with your new love. Don't be a fool, thinking this is the last you'll find.'...