The Ex

By EmRatosss

|| Wattpad Featured || The Amby Awards Romance Winner ❤️ The perfect man just proposed and what was my answer... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

1K 49 1
By EmRatosss

How long have I been staring at the chipped white paint on the door of my office?

Long enough to be considered insane.

It's been three days since I got home from Hawaii. And just as many days since I said no to Paul's proposal.

I finally told him my truth. I would never be ready to commit to him. That no matter how much I love him, and I really do, I'm not in love with him.

He took the rejection better than expected. Deep down, he knew that there was more to my uncertainty. That the decision shouldn't have been so hard. He just needed to hear it. I assured him that one day, he would make someone the happiest girl in the world. I even promised to help him find her.

After all, I haven't retired from matchmaking yet.

Despite the re-surfacing of long-buried feelings and emotional turmoil, I had survived. And for the first time in a long time, I have no plans. No expectations. Just the big, wide unknown. And I couldn't be more excited. I am ready to repair my life, starting with making this restaurant the best it can be, one little chip at a time.

Mark pokes his head through the door, "your presence is required on the outdoor terrace."

"The terrace was booked for a private event today. Is everything okay?"

"Umm," Mark avoids my gaze by glancing around my little office.

"Mark, what's going on?" I question sternly.

He smiles sheepishly, "the official story is that someone has asked for you."

"And the unofficial story?" I say with a curious glare.

Taking a step into the hallway, he looks left and right. Once he's sure that no one is around to overhear our conversation, he re-enters the room. "Sophie and Liam are here."

My eyes widen in astonishment. "What? They're not due back from Hawaii for two more days."

"It's meant to be a surprise so you better put on an oscar-winning performance when you get up there, lady."

I jump in excitement, "I promise."

I follow Mark out the door and to the first-floor bar. He hands me a bottle of champagne, "go and enjoy some time out."

I kiss him on the cheek, "love you."

"I am pretty lovable," he agrees. Mark walks beside me as I move to the base of the stairs, "I'll get Jen out with the menus."  

"Thank you," I call over my shoulder as I begin my ascent.

The delight at seeing my best friends has me strolling across the second floor dining area with a bounce in my step. Taking a steadying breath, I reach for the terrace door. I pull it wide, raise the champagne over my head and shout, "welcome ho-"

The words are lost on my tongue when I take in the surroundings. Liam and Sophie are nowhere to be seen. Instead, Ethan stands in the center of the room in a slick black suit, cradling a big bouquet of red roses. The terrace has been completely transformed. Every table in the large area has been decorated with rose petals and a single candle. With the lights dimmed, the room is entirely lit by candlelight.

"I certainly wasn't expecting such a warm welcome," he says with a smile.

I narrow my eyes in suspicion, "where are Sophie and Liam?"

"Living it up in Hawaii."

I put my head in my hand, "I'm going to kill Mark."

"Please don't. He helped me set this up," he waves his arm in the air.

"What are you doing here, Ethan?" I take another look around the room, "what is this?"

"Two days ago, I landed in London. Charlotte, I couldn't do it. I couldn't stay knowing that my heart was halfway around the world with you."

I swallow hard.

"When you told me the truth, I was shocked. I had no idea that you followed me, Char."

I shake my head, "it was a mistake, Ethan. I should have just let you go. Not knowing would have saved me a world of pain."

Ethan takes a deep breath, "the kiss you saw-"

I wince, "Ethan I-"

"Charlotte, it was the first and last kiss."

The sincerity in his expression has me pausing.

"I was telling Amanda about how much I missed you, how I thought leaving you was a mistake. She assured me that I had done the right thing and that there were others that could fill your void. She took that opportunity to finally make her move. That's what you saw, Charlotte."

I push the memory away. Looking down to the ground, I force my attention on my black heels.

"If you stayed a second longer you would have seen me push her away. I told her that I didn't see her in that way. Because she wasn't you, Char."

My eyes slide to his, "I want so badly to believe that, Ethan."

"It's the truth. I suspected that she liked me, you told me as much but nothing ever happened between us. Nothing. You were the only one, Charlotte. You will always be my only one."

He covers the distance between us in three strides. With his free hand, he sweeps my hair behind my ear and cradles my face. My eyes flutter shut at his touch.

"I meant it when I said that love isn't easy. This obstacle is one that we can overcome. I know how challenging it will be to trust me again but I promise that I will spend the rest of my life proving myself to you."

I open my eyes to find his face inches from mine. The emotion in his gaze has my breath hitching.

"Charlotte, I love you. I never stopped loving you," he runs his thumb along my cheek to wipe my tears. "I'm here to fight for our everlasting love. The question is, will you let me?"

I clear my throat and shake my head, "No."

I watch as his eyes flash with hurt. After a second, he nods his head in acknowledgement and releases me.

"I understand, Charlotte."

I have never seen a man look more defeated. With slumped shoulders, he hangs his head. But I can't help it, through my tears, I smile at him. He narrows his eyes at my change in expression.

"That's what I should say. But my heart won't let me."

I watch as recognition sparks in the depths of his grey eyes. His full lips form a wide smile, "you will be the death of me."

I raise my brow in challenge, "oh, I can guarantee it."

"Best guarantee I've ever had."

He reaches for me but I hold my hand out, halting his movement, "let's get one thing straight. You have a lot to make up for. For leaving me, for the incident."

"Is that what we're calling it now?" he asks with amusement.

"Would you prefer we call it the betrayal?"

He nods, "point made."

"And most of all, you need to make up for the lost time."

"I plan on doing just that," he reaches for me again but I place a hand on his chest.

"You can start with the flowers," I tip my head toward the bunch he holds in his hand.

He laughs and passes them to me. I clasp them in my arms and inhale the fresh rose scent.

"I think I can do one better."

My brow furrows in confusion at his conspiratorial smirk.

He reaches into his pocket and retrieves the vibrant red box. He opens it and the red ruby glistens in the dim light. I beam at the sight of my ruby ring.

He wastes no time taking it out of the box and placing it onto my finger. Where it belongs.

I extend my left hand out in front of me and feel tears fall freely down my face. He pulls me towards him and devours my mouth in a crushing kiss.

And just like that, the crack in my heart mends. Because I am exactly where I belong; in Ethan's arms.

Thank you for reading The Ex: Chapter twenty-six!
Please comment to let me know what you think and vote if you enjoyed :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 1.9K 16
#150 in short story "Mariana, please for crying out loud, stop this game. They both don't deserve this," I said while walking toward her. "They would...
49.3K 1.9K 47
✅ Complete ✅ When Campbell Kramer accepted a job offer in Manhattan, she never could've imagined what the city had in store for her. Namely, two hand...
1.2K 112 11
Status: Complete Beautiful and passionate boss lady as I'm, I never thought one's love will make me frail. It wasn't a love at first sight as they sa...
5.8K 461 41
"The things you do for friends." He laughed softly... "Yeah. For friends," I whispered. "Is that what we are then?".... "Is that what you want?" he a...