Ishq Kinara[Love Ashore] Comp...

By AimmyB

Five people. Five lives. Five tales. Each of them is struggling through life and these struggles aren't somet... More

Character Aesthetics
Prologue
1. Abay Saalo'n!
2. A bunch of idiots
3. A regular Sunday
4. Changes
5. Shift
6. Realizations
7. Conundrum
8. Friends
9. Life
10. Clear Waters
11. Not Quite A Heartbreak
13. Heart Ties
14. November
15. Not So Normal
16. Ashore
17. Serendipity
18. Dive
19. Horizon
20. Promise
21. Epiphany
22. Crown
23. Fall
24. Aurora
25A: Someday
25B. Everyday
26. Steady
27. Ripple
28. Crashing Down
29. Decisions
30. Crevice
31. Souvenir
32. Waves
33. Echo
34. Sinking Ships
35. Losing Grip
36. Fading
37. Unsaid
38. Ships in the night
39. Far from the shore
40. Life as it comes
41. Reminiscing
42. Homecoming
43. Warm
44. The same place
45. Changes and Constants
46. Traces
47. Start Over
48. Shore to the sea
49. Fall into place
50A. Love Ashore [Last]
50B. Love Ashore[Last]
Epilogue
Thank you Note
Bonus: Still Ashore
Bonus # 2: Then and Now
Once Upon a January

12. Too Much Work

2.6K 307 541
By AimmyB

Jotting down the important points from today's lecture all the while rolling her eyes, that's how Elaf Daud was getting her studying done. The previous week was for the students to enjoy and it seemed the teachers had taken a personal offense to this. The result was there now. Shitload of assignments and projects with the looming dark cloud of upcoming finals. Elaf didn't want a repeat show of the mids when she was clueless about even the syllabus. She wasn't asking Sarim for his notes again. That'd be like feeding off their friendship and Elaf would never do that. After a long time she could say she was surrounded with genuine people and she wanted to avoid anything which could sabotage it. And Sarim was her class fellow only. He was learning from the same teachers she was, taking the same classes she did so if he could do it why couldn't her? And if she started on earlier by the time of exams nothing would be piled up. It was a good thought. Elaf could just hope she'd follow it without getting distracted. Fingers crossed.

She was in the middle of getting the diagram of complicated mechanical process when her phone rang with an incoming call.

"Perfect timing. This is on the universe. I'm trying to make an effort here!"

She grumbled and glanced towards the screen. The next moment the call was answered.

"Where are you?"

Elaf narrowed her eyes. Trust Sarim Haider to ask such stupid question. He was the topper and this was embarrassing.

"I'm pretty sure I'm sitting in my room on my bed trying to study."

A heavy sigh. So unlike Sarim. Elaf was worried now.

"Are you okay? Is there a problem."

"Can you go to Safwa's?"

"Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

"Why? Is she okay? And why are you sounding so worried?"

Sarim ran a hand through his hair. Elaf couldn't see but she had an idea.

"Hesham has broken up with Safwa."

It was a shocker. The way Elaf had gone silent. Sarim couldn't see but he had an idea.

"I'm just putting on my shoes. I'll be there shortly. Are you coming?"

"No, I have an important business to take care with Hesham."

"Don't do anything stupid. You don't know the whole thing."

"I'm going to know that only. I hope he has a good reason for doing what he did."

Elaf couldn't say she was sure about this. Safwa and Hesham...well Elaf had always seen them very comfortable around each other. There was an ease to them which Elaf hadn't seen much in the couples she had encountered on campus. And now coming to know that they had called it quits, it was not an easy thought.

"Just take care of Safwa, hun?"

Elaf smiled.

"I will. You take care of Hesham, hun?"

"I will."

The call ended. Elaf hurriedly picked up her bag and dashed out of the room to tell Yusra that she was going to Safwa's place.

Neither Elaf noticed.

Nor Sarim pointed out.

But they were doing it like a team.

_______

Hearing the beep of the call ending, Sarim sighed and took the phone away from his ear. He looked through the widow at the lights reflecting through the mirror. Everything was yellow and orange with red hues covering the perimeter. City of lights for a reason.

But something was amiss. The beauty of this city wasn't reaching the point it always did. As Sarim opened the group chat which was a home in itself for as long as he could remember, his fingers didn't have to scroll up to find the message which had him doing a double take a few hours back.

Hesham: Guys, I've broken up with Safwa. I didn't want you to know from someone else so thought of dropping the message here.

No conversation had flown after. No question asked. As people who'd share everything in the group chat with each other, all three of them were silent. Hesham didn't elaborate, Sarim didn't know what to ask so he did the only thing that he found fitting. Meeting Hesham in person.

Sarim moved the steering to get back to the route leading to DHA. He hadn't thought a situation like this would fall upon them. Hesham hadn't called him and Izaan. Just a single text which announced that him and Safwa weren't together anymore. Something which was so like Hesham but still felt alien.

Sarim wanted to curse out loud. He'd be a liar if he said he didn't see it coming. Yeah, he never thought a breakup was on the cards but last few weeks had somewhere left a mark on the back of his mind that something was wrong. Something wasn't adding up. He wasn't the best at reading the signs but it was about Hesham, and Sarim somehow always knew if things were not quite alright.

He had decided to give Hesham the space when Hesham asked for it. This is what friends are supposed to do anyway. But he never knew Hesham was considering doing this. Ending his relationship with Safwa, sure as hell none of them thought he'd do something like this. Not even the always perceptive Izaan.

Another thing which was bothering Sarim was Izaan's silence over the matter. Since the time Hesham had texted them, Izaan hadn't commented on anything. It was as if he had gone silent. Maybe he was analyzing the situation of maybe he didn't know what to say. But Izaan always knew what to say.

Stopping his car in the driveway of Baig House, Sarim took hurried steps towards the inner house. Rashid had already seen him through the large windows and not asking any question he had opened the doors. Sarim gave him a slight smile and taking long strides he was right in front of Hesham's room in no time.

He knocked at the door with a slight tremor of hesitancy. The person on the other side of the door was his best friend. They were each others' brothers, support system and personal roasting machines. There had never been an awkward moment between them. Sarim wanted to know Hesham's reason behind what he did but with that he also wanted to know if Hesham was fine because Hesham being wouldn't just end things with someone like this, least of all with Safwa Kirmani. It wasn't him.

The opening of the door had him snap of out of his predicament. Hesham sighed and gestured him to come inside.

"You don't look pleased seeing me."

"Are you my wife?"

"Not even in my nightmares."

"Then you have your answer."

Following Hesham inside, Sarim stared at his profile. His spunk was there but details weren't hidden from Sarim Haider. Hesham was masking his true emotions beneath the veneer of banter and bickering.

Hesham had settled himself on the beanbag seat and now he was quiet as if waiting for Sarim to broach the topic and bombard him with questions. Sarim narrowed his eyes at Hesham's profile.

"Get started already!"

Hesham sighed but didn't keep on with his silence.

"It was a long time coming."

"Took you long enough to figure out, don't you think?"

Hesham chuckled.

"At least I did."

Sarim wasn't satisfied.

"This isn't done, Hesham. You should've talked things out with Safwa before ending it."

"Talking wouldn't have brought anything fruitful. I did what I thought was the best for both of us."

"And what that best in your precious opinion is?"

"Staying what we are for each other. Friends. Just two best friend."

Sarim didn't comment on this. Hesham was going to elaborate further. Years of friendship had taught Sarim at least that much. And he was going to listen.

"People get introduced to love as the first emotion of their life. The love their parents have for them. Particularly their mothers. I didn't have one. My father did love me but he had to take care of other things as well. He couldn't be with me all the time. That's when I met Safwa. Then down the line you and Izaan."

He paused as if reminiscing the old times. A fond smile was playing on his lips.

"Friendship is the first emotion, the first feeling, the first relation other than the one with my father I got to experience. I still remember when Safwa would play cricket with me in our garden even though she hated it, just to make me happy. I still remember when you took on a bunch of kids older and bulkier than both you and me just because they called me names. And I remember when Dad was out of country and I got sick. Izaan took me to his place and Abba called Dad that I'd be staying with them all for the week."

Hesham looked at Sarim. The understanding on his face was telling Hesham the point had gone across well.

"I realized that Safwa and I weren't on the level to start with what everyone was expecting out of us. I don't love her that way, Sarim. And she doesn't as well. It was friendship on one hand and the relation on the other. I had to choose and I chose friendship because that what my priority will be. Always. If I had cared for the relation and went along with what we had or the lack thereof, at one point there would've been nothing left. No friendship. No relation. No us. But now I can say everything else can end, but this friendship will never. I saved our friendship. I saved my first introduction to this emotion. I don't know about you guys but for me the friendship I share with you all means more than anything else because you guys were there for me when I had no one else. You were my family and my friends both and I intend to keep it that way only."

He had gotten up from the seat. Sarim was still quiet. Maybe he was still processing it or coming up with ways to tell Hesham how wrong he was for feeling the way he was feeling. Sarim did nothing like that. He just patted Hesham's head like he'd do with a child who did something right.

"I'm raising a good lad."

"The only thing you need to raise is your standard."

"I'm your best friend. My standard is self explanatory."

The trademark bickering had started. Hesham didn't mention how the understanding on Sarim's face and his gestures were giving him the confidence that he was right in doing what he did. Sarim didn't mention how he was so proud of Hesham for being this understanding and cherishing the relations he had. Words weren't needed. In friendship they are never needed anyway.

"I appreciate that you and Safwa are prioritizing your friendship but she isn't gonna find someone like you who'd care so deeply for her."

Hesham pulled the packet of crisps from his side table and threw opened it.

"I think that's also sorted."

"How?"

His lips had curled into a knowing smile. Sarim raised an eyebrow. It was evident that Hesham knew stuff no one else did and this was never right. At least in Sarim Haider's dictionary.

"That's for me to know, for them to figure out and for you to die with curiosity."

His smug head bobbling was annoying. He was annoying.

"For your information, the person you're referring you hasn't uttered a word since the time you broke the news of your break up. Good luck if you think this ship of yours will sail smoothly."

Hesham had choked on his crisps. Sarim rolled his eyes and patted his back once again but this time with some extra force.

"You...You knew?"

Sarim looked offended.

"Only you have eyes among us all? I was getting the signs but thought to not delve much into it because of the arrangement we had already aka you dating Safwa."

Hesham was surprised but recovered soon.

"Damn son. We are good."

Both gave each other a high five and went silent once again.

"Izaan is gonna make a racket out this."

"He wouldn't accept this easily. He's gonna think it's his fault that you two broke up."

"But it's not!"

"He doesn't know that. And if you go to him to explain this, well this will make everything a lot more difficult and complicated. Izaan will shut himself further into his shell. I'd say let's give him some time? Then we can tell him everything and hear from him as well."

Hesham was uncertain.

"I don't like the sound of it but if you say so, let's try this."

A handful of crisps had gone straight into his mouth after that. Not his fault. Emotional stuff is exhausting.

Sarim raised his hand to get himself few as well but Hesham immediately snatched the packet away.

"Go ask Rashid to give you a new one. Don't steal mine."

"Rashid is downstairs!"

"And you have two functioning legs."

"You can share!"

"And why would I do that?"

Sarim got up grumbling. He had to find Rashid and ask for crisps because he wasn't going home without having those. Hesham sat where he was. The other packet was just behind his beanbag, the one Sarim was out there looking for.

"Good luck with the task."

Sarim's mind immediately did the calculation and the next moment Hesham was tackled to get him away from the beanbag.

Rashid had heard the commotion from downstairs. His reaction was just an eyeroll.

"Wrestling for a pack of crisps. Again. Just my luck."

He shook his head and made his way upstairs to resolve the issue.

Started with an emotional confrontation and now fighting for crisps. Idiots.

_______

Elaf gave a sideway glance to Safwa and waited patiently. She wasn't pretty good at it she could try.

"Let me get this straight once again."

Yeah. She wasn't good at it.

"When I came to your place after coming to know what's happened, you were devastated and crying. Then you told me you weren't crying because you and Hesham broke up. He did it actually. "

Safwa nodded not looking at Elaf at all.

"And then you told me the reason behind you flooding your tissue box was the fact that Hesham understood something you didn't and he considered your happiness and that's why he called it quits and that turned you as emotional as I'm when I'm pmsing."

Another nod was the answer.

"Oh come on!"

Elaf hit the steering making Safwa flinch and give her a dirty look.

"Do you not see how anticlimactic it is! How less dramatic! I mean break ups don't go like this. Haven't you watched movies? Or read NA novels? This isn't how it is supposed to be!"

"Hesham is right. Being the member of dramatics club totally suits you."

"Ha! Don't you dare bring that up here! I'm just a normal person who..."

"Is dying for some drama."

Elaf shrugged her shoulders.

"Whatever."

Safwa leaned into the seat looking at nothing in particular. She was the one who came up with the idea of going for a drive to feel better and Elaf who was still there at her place tagged along. They had stopped at the sidewalk leading out of Clifton. Safwa had thought she'd feel better. Elaf had tried to stay silent and not ask any questions but both failed.

"It is pretty unusual to be honest. The way we called it quits."

Safwa's whisper had lost somewhere inside the silence of the car.

"I mean when he told me what was on his mind I was shocked but I was also on the fight mode. I could push him that moment, jerk him into the reality that he couldn't do this to me but his explanations, they made me tumble. Off my damn axis. I couldn't even say anything. My response was so lame and so ...so meek. Like somewhere at the back of my mind I knew he was doing the right thing but I just didn't want to acknowledge it yet because the idea of us had been so engraved on my mind I just couldn't see past it."

"Safwa, you have come to realize that he did the right thing."

"I have! I have. But...I wish it weren't the case. I wish we could be what we thought we were."

Elaf chuckled slightly. Safwa Kirmani was such a kid. An obedient one. Elaf could recount the number of time Safwa had talked about her Phupho and how this new development would make her so sad. She was still thinking how her and Hesham's being together would've given her Phupho the satisfaction which wasn't going to be there now. This has also made it clear to Elaf that Safwa was mainly into this thing because her Phupho was into it. She wanted her to end up with Hesham for some reason and Safwa made into her own want even though it wasn't. For the first time Elaf felt proud that Hesham had read the signs and made his mind because Safwa wouldn't be able to. She was a fool this way. No offence.

"Safwa!"

"Hun?"

"Will you stop overthinking? You said it yourself that Hesham did the right thing then why are you torturing yourself this way? Your phupho will understand, I'm sure about this. You and Hesham are better off friends, he realized it and you also came to terms with it. I don't think anything else should matter. At least you guys are still best friends. That's the win here."

Maybe it was the fact that someone other than Hesham or her had made this point but Safwa felt the impact immediately. Elaf was right.

"I know where we should go."

"You do? Please enlighten me because I'm feeling like a fool sitting here holding the steering and ready to bolt."

Elaf restarted the engine and raised an eyebrow.

"Drive. I'll tell you the way."

Elaf shrugged her shoulders. That was good enough. At least they were moving.

_______

Rashid should've prepared himself for the unplanned get together of Hesham's friends. He had just resolved an ensuing wrestling match between Hesham and Sarim over a pack of crisps and now he was in the kitchen making coffee for the two friends when the doorbell rang once again and now he was standing face to face with Safwa and Elaf.

"Rashid, is Hesha..."

He nodded his head and standing aside gave both of them the space to enter inside. Elaf looked around admiring the interior of the house. It was speaking of old money. Good for Hesham. Even if his law degree didn't work, chances of which were high given the fact that he was more suited for a circus than a court, he could always live off all this. Elaf chuckled at her own thought earning a weird look from Safwa.

The door to Hesham's room was opened and Elaf had recognized the mop of untamed brown hair from the railing itself.

So Sarim Haider was still here.

Hesham was the first one to notice them. He immediately got up.

"Safi, Shorty?"

"Ignore me. I'm just here for the climax."

Elaf announced taking her seat next to Sarim. Hesham was looking confused but he had focused his attention on Safwa.

"Are you still angry with me?"

Safwa shook her head.

"Few days back you made me promise you something."

Hesham was quiet.

"No matter what happens, we'll forever stay the friends we are since childhood, I promised me you this didn't I?"

A tear had stopped at the tip of her eyelash.

"I'm never going to break this, Hesham. You'll always be my childhood friend, the one who will consider my happiness before anything else. Thank you for being my person. The one I can always trust even when I don't trust my own feelings. Thank you for figuring everything out when I couldn't even pinpoint it."

Hesham's grin was infectious. It could light up the whole room. And it did. Both Sarim and Elaf sat there watching the two of them becoming what they were and what they'd always be, best friends.

Hesham had wound his arms around Safwa and was trying to make her stop crying. Elaf didn't know if it helped or not because she was eyeing the packet of crisps in Sarim's hand.

Sarim sighed trying to stifle his laugh. He had wrestled this one out from Hesham but who cared? He handed the whole packet to Elaf who took it with exaggerated zeal. She so wanted the crisps.

Hesham's eyes had narrowed. This asshole! He could wrestle him for the same pack but gave it to Elaf without even asking anything. Hesham knew in future who was going to be the one wrapped around wife's finger.

He was right.

But not quite.

________

Safwa fiddled with the corner of her cardigan and looked right in Hesham's direction. He was sitting all composed and chill, Safwa wished she could be like him.

"Will you two explain what you've just announced to us?"

Bisma's voice held the range of emotions she was feeling. The shock, the anger, disappointment and most of all, worry. Safwa couldn't blame her. Hesham was someone Bisma had seen growing up in front of her eyes. Atif uncle was a family friend. Bisma had envisioned them as the perfect family Safwa could fit into. She didn't have to worry about Safwa's future but now that comfort was snatched out of her. And she didn't like it.

But Bisma had forgotten both Safwa and Hesham were two individuals who could decide for themselves. They had taken their time realizing where they stood with each other but they did it and now they were telling the same to both Bisma and Atif.

"There's nothing to explain. Safi and I don't think we can take this further. We are better off as friends."

"And it took you two years to realize this?"

"Better late than never I suppose."

Bisma sent a disappointed look their way. Atif gestured Hesham to keep quiet and came to Safwa.

"Safi, I don't believe this clown but you're the sensible one here. Tell us what has gone wrong."

The same old face of Atif uncle. Full of fatherly warmth and comfort Safwa was so familiar with.

"Nothing's gone wrong and I'm glad because of Hesham nothing will go wrong as well. We both care for each other, Atif uncle, deeply might I add. But what if that's about it? We don't have to experiment with that stereotypical oh we can be more let's try. No, that can lead us to even lose what we have right now and none of us want that. Why can't we be just friends? Comfort shouldn't always be translated into marriage or a relationship. Comfort can stay just comfort."

Her point had gone across pretty well. The realization on Atif's face was a proof of it so was the resignation in Bisma's stance. She had marched out of there because she knew this was it.

Hesham and Safwa's chapter was closed for good.

Atif saw Bisma's retreating back and then Safwa's anxious face. He patted her head trying to tell her she shouldn't be worried.

"You know your phupho, don't you? She'll come around."

"You think?"

"I know. I also want you to know that no matter what, I'll always be your Atif Uncle to whom you can come to with every problem of yours. Nothing should change, Safwa."

She smiled lightly.

"Nothing will change, uncle."

And that was a promise. Safwa turned to the stairs. Bisma wasn't going to let this go this easily.

But it could've gone worse. It didn't. There was the silver lining.

_______

The lecture hall was filled up with students all clad in their white coats wearing an expression of concentration and looking straight ahead at the professor. The professor was explaining the key points of myocarditis, a typical setting for the special pathology lecture. Nothing out of ordinary.

Roshna leaned into her chair once the topic had come to an end. At the front of the class few students were surrounding the professor solving their confusions and doubts. She causally looked around. To her side few other girls were seated and in the row ahead of her both Kumail and Izaan were sitting.

Kumail hadn't waited even for a second and as soon as the lecture ended, he had his airphones pushed into his ears and now he was bobbing his head to Drake. Such an idiot Kumail was, Roshna concluded with a silly smile, as always.

But then her attention went to the person sitting next to him. The notes weren't opened to jot down the important points, neither was the topic highlighted from the book as well. It seemed like the person wasn't at all interested in the lecture and that was something new, something Roshna hadn't ever thought of seeing.

This was not so Izaan Shoaib but this was Izaan Shoaib in the moment.

Roshna was seeing his lost state for almost three days now. He was aloof, more than ever. His usual self was also not the social magnet anyway but these days it looked he was avoiding everyone to focus on something which was bothering him. He wasn't talking much and that was saying something for him as he already wasn't big on talking anyway.

As Roshna gathered her stuff to get out of the hall she stood up and before Kumail could do the same, she had stopped him by holding his shirt. It wasn't the right way of getting his attention but with Kumail totally immersed in his music; this was the only option she was left with.

It had worked immediately. Kumail was dumbfounded but he got her cue and stayed back anyway.

"So you finally decided to confess your undying love to me?"

Kumail asked making himself comfortable on the desk. The whole lecture room was empty now sans the two of them. Roshna rolled her eyes. Trust this guy to Usain Bolt through every delusion finish line.

"Get back to earth!"

"Where's the fun in that?"

Roshna didn't want to get into a game of one liners with him.

"What's wrong with Izaan? Have you asked him?"

"I have."

"So?"

"Isn't it obvious? He didn't tell me."

Roshna should've seen this coming. It wasn't like Izaan to open up about his problems to anyone.

"Even if he doesn't tell you what it is, you should try to cheer him up."

"And how do you think I can do that? Can't take him to a Ferris wheel ride because sorry to break it to you but he isn't a five year old."

"At least he isn't, unlike his friend."

"I do not act like a five year old."

"Yeah, I was also going to cut two years more. Make it three?"

Kumail wanted to cry in frustration. Somehow all his attempts to impress this woman had always gone down the drain. She'd either get disgusted by his audacity or beat him in the bickering. This wasn't Kumail's idea of romance but this was his fate. Touche.

"I just don't want to see him like this. I might not be as close to him as you're but he's always been very kind to me. It doesn't sit well with me that he isn't alright."

Roshna's concern for Izaan had Kumail straightened up. It wasn't the time to joke around. She was right, Izaan was visibly conflicted these days and even though Kumail was playing it cool, he was also worried. Izaan wasn't easily opened up so when he was dealing with stuff his only demand would be to leave him be. Too bad Kumail didn't want to do that. He had tried his best to cheer Izaan up but it didn't quite work. But now listening to Roshna he knew he had to try again.

"I will talk to him once more. Even if he doesn't want to share, I'll just try to distract him or something."

"Yeah, do that. He needs it anyway."

Roshna had picked up her bag and was about to leave when Kumail called her.

"By the way, Roshna!"

"Hun?"

"We can have a simple sane conversation. If only we want to."

She raised an eyebrow and then chuckled.

"If only you want to, Kumail. Bye now!"

The smile that he adored her face while she was leaving had Kumail smiling too. One day their conversations would go on longer than this. He was hoping for the best.

"Baby steps."

He muttered just like a five year old himself. Cute.

______

Izaan knocked at the door and waited for Abba's cue to get inside. It was a tiring day. For last three days every moment was tiring for him. There was a range of reasons for him to pick on and he didn't know which was more fitting.

When he entered inside, Abba was sitting on his daybed reading a book.

"You're late today, Izaan."

He nodded tiredly and sitting on the carpet close to Abba placed his head in his lap.

"And you're tired as well."

Kamran Ansari commented. He wasn't the one to meddle in his grandsons business but Izaan wasn't himself these days. His always intact composure was crumbling and the worries he had hidden beneath were peeking out. No one but Izaan knew what those worries were actually but still the people close to him knew when he was on the verge of losing it.

"Everything's kinda messed up these days, Abba."

"Bad days are only here to make way for the good ones."

Izaan chuckled humorlessly. Kamran Ansari gave him a look as if reading him the best of his ability.

"Do you want to talk it out?"

Izaan immediately straightened up.

"It's not that deep. I'm just feeling it more because I'm tired and drained. Should take some rest."

"Izaan..."

"I'm okay, Abba. Good night. I shouldn't have worried you unnecessarily anyways."

Kamran Ansari didn't say anything to this. Izaan was dodging the topic, As he clicked the door shut behind him, Kamran Ansari took a deep breath. When would this guy learn to share his worries and what was bothering him? No one knew. He couldn't go back to his book now. Still looking at the spot where Izaan was sitting just a while back, he didn't even realize when Memoona had entered his room.

"Abba ji, did he say something you?"

He shook his head. Memoona was disappointed.

"This boy is making me so worried."

"He's fine, Memoona."

"Physically. Mentally and emotionally he isn't and I can tell. I'm his mother."

"Then you know he won't share it because he's always going to think he's burdening you."

"That's the problem with him. He will think of everyone and everything but himself."

"Well, that's our Izaan for you."

"But this makes me scared, Abba ji. He is way too pure and self sacrificing. This world isn't kind to people like him."

"I'm more worried about him. The people like him are most unkind to their own self."

They both stayed quiet after that. Because both had showed their concerns and both were valid in their own way.

_______

The news of Hesham and Safwa's break up had spread around the campus like wildfire even though they had tried their best to hide it but gossip mongers always have a way of getting their desired news so here they were.

There was a range of reactions Hesham and Safwa were receiving, but more than anything people were curious that what lead them to take this decision. Their not so changed equation had also raised questions and both of them were hating the spotlight and being the topic of university gossip, con of being famous on the campus.

Hesham clenched his jaw dodging Reeja once again who was again trying to get some kind of reaction out of him to know what was the actual reason for calling it quits. He reached his car in the parking lot and leaned against it. His folder was right in his hand. Finals were also right upon them and with the whole student body after him or Safwa; t was affecting their class schedule as well. Hesham had never hated gossip loving population more than he did now.

But there wasn't just the likes of Reeja who were making his mood worse. There were other matters too which he had to deal with. As he opened the door to get inside and start with what he had in his mind, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Where are you going?"

Sarim asked raising an eyebrow.

"Izaan's place and you aren't stopping me."

Sarim knew it already.

"I wasn't going to."

"Yeah, you shouldn't even try. That ass hasn't even talked to any of us in three days! Can you believe it! Fuck giving him space. I'm going ram this folder in his head when I see him."

Sarim rolled his eyes. Hesham and his dramatic ass.

"Do you even know why he's doing that? You picked on whatever is happening between him and Safwa, I did it as well. Because we all know each other like the back of our hands so why do you think he wouldn't have figured out that you breaking up with Safwa has something to do with him as well."

"Then he's wrong! I didn't do it because I was being a selfless, sacrificing demigod! I was sure of where I stood with Safwa even before I realized what was cooking there."

"So we have to make Izaan understand this. But not like this! Calm your volcano and no we aren't going to Izaan's place. We aren't giving Memoona auntie and Abba a show for free! We are going to Izaan's university and taking him to your place."

"Why you guys always select my place when it comes to getting shit done?"

"Because the only people around there are Rashid and you. Rashid is a good person and you're barely even a person so it floats our boat."

Hesham ignored the insult. He was too much focused on Izaan to even take offence.

"Safwa and Elaf have left?"

He asked as Sarim got in shotgun.

"They left just a while back. Safwa was pissed. I was sure just few minutes more of her on campus and we'd see a massacre."

"Not shit."

Hesham agreed and started the car immediately zoomed towards the route taking to Izaan's university.

________

"I've never hated IST the way I do now."

Safwa grumbled punching the pillow beneath her head.

"Why did it happen? Did you two have a fight? Were you not good enough for him? Oh? The same rich couple problems? Got bored too early and one stinking bimbo had the audacity to ask me was Hesham not good in bed or was I too much of a prude! I want to kill a bitch!"

Elaf couldn't stop her laughter anymore. They were currently in Safwa's room and needless to say Elaf was both enjoying and feeling bad while listening to Safwa's rambling. It was no news. University students were worse than the high schoolers when it comes to gossip.

"You know it's the curiosity which is making them go bonkers. You two aren't giving them any stereotypical reason which they can enjoy about your break up. There's no cheating involved and no history of you two being toxic for each other. Your bonding is still the same. So it's all on the curiosity which will kill these cats by you."

"Oh I'd love that!"

Safwa exclaimed getting up. Elaf handed her the glass of juice Nusrat Aapa had just brought for them.

"By the way, what about your phupho? Is she okay with this now?"

Safwa's bored expressions had turned solemn the next moment.

"Not really. She's still not talking to me properly. It's pretty weird you know. Phupho isn't this staunch generally but she's being really stubborn this time around. Last night I went to her room but she was going trough the old photo album so I didn't feel like disturbing her. It has both her and my childhood in it. She brings out that set of memories when she's feeling low or very happy so you can have an idea she isn't quite alright with our decision."

Elaf nodded fully understanding Safwa's plight. She could just hope all this would resolve soon. Safwa was on the brink of losing her composure and Elaf wouldn't want that. The one good thing that had come out of this situation was the strengthening of Elaf and Safwa's friendships. Both had started understanding each other in a way only a good friend could and both were happy about this development.

"I also want to see that old album you are talking about. Wanna see how you were as a child."

It was Elaf's attempt of changing the topic and it worked well. Safwa had perked up on the mention of it.

"I'd just go and bring it from Phupho's room. There're so many memories of Phupho and mine. I'll show all that to you."

In no time Safwa was out of the room and Elaf was left there smiling. It was no news, Safwa loved her Phupho more than anyone in this world.

But unknown to her another person was getting close to that.

_____

"Come on! A good meal never hurt anyone!"

Kumal was trying for the umpteenth time to convince Izaan for eating out but as usual Izaan's answer was a clear no. Kumail wasn't one to accept defeat easily so here he was trying his best as both of them walked towards the parking area after a hectic day.

Izaan was picking his helmet and rolling his white coat when his eyes fell to the right and he stopped in his track.

Hesham gave him a duh look while Sarim grinned in his way. Izaan sighed. Only this was remaining. What a life. It could marvel a circus.

In few steps he was right in front of them.

"Is our baby surprised?"

Hesham asked in a snide tone. Sarim didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The situation had gone from serious to comical. Like why Hesham was looking constipated instead of intimidating?

"What are you both doing here?"

"So it's yOu bOtH now?"

Hesham tried mimicking Izaan. Kumail was right behind them and by the looks of it he was enjoying the show.

"Hesham, behave."

Izaan's words had no effect on an offended Hesham. Sarim had to intervene.

"Abay Salay! You're giving the future doctors a show!"

"I don't really care. Beside, they are clueless anyway. A living example in standing right in front of us."

He said and turned back to Izaan.

"We're here to take you with us."

"I figured that out."

"At least you figured something out."

Ouch.

That was a good one. Sarim could Hesham that. Izaan was unfazed. He didn't even show any reaction. The resting poker face was doing wonders.

"Let me get to my bike then."

"I'm coming with you!"

Hesham announced. Izaan raised an eyebrow.

"I have to make sure you don't dodge us this time around."

Izaan didn't even stop him when he had located his bike and was now walking towards it. He just followed suit silently.

Sarim was left with Hesham's car. He knew it was his vehicle to drive now. The shiny baby wasn't something Hesham let anyone touch but guess Sarim was lucky today.

"He got him good didn't he?"

Kumail pointed in the direction where Hesham was sitting behind Izaan and both were about to zoom out of there. Sarim laughed.

"He always does."

"Just so you know Izaan hasn't been okay himself all these days."

"I know."

"Yeah, I just thought I should let you know because he needs to let it out. I hope he'll confide in you two. Kumail by the way."

Sarim didn't need the introduction. He knew it already. Only one person in this university could know Izaan like this and that'd be Kumail.

"Sarim."

Kumail also could tell. Everyone who knew Izaan Shoaib also knew his two best buddies.

Sarim had gotten inside the car. They had few issues to work on, a friendship to get back to normal and knock some sense into Izaan telling him that your highness was falling in love. Too much work.

______

Elaf flipped through the magazine waiting for Safwa to come back with the photo album but seemed like Safwa had gotten lost in her own house. She was taking her sweet time and Elaf couldn't wait any longer.

She had just gotten up when the room door opened and Safwa entered inside with a box in her hand.

"You were bringing it or making it from scratch? Why did it take so long?"

Safwa didn't say anything. Just held her hand and started almost running towards the stairs.

"What are you doing!"

"We are going somewhere!"

"Where?"

"Hesham's place!"

"Why?"

"I have to tell you all what I've just come to know."

"And what's that?"

"I'll let you know once we get there, hurry!"

Elaf sighed but kept on following Safwa behind. They had a secret to unveil, talk it out with the guys and get another pack of crisps from Rashid. Too much work.

__________

A lil sneak peek because I took my time updating this chapter:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 558 30
A tale of love where a girl who knew nothing about love learnt it from the very person who she fell in love with but later, fate decides to put more...
22 1 1
A coming of age journey of two lost souls who stumble across each other as they try to navigate through the hurdles of life.
961 29 12
A story of friendship, love, heart-breaks, twists in lives. A spoonful of suspense can be found here and there.
ELYU By Haruki

Short Story

375 13 7
This is not a love story. This is a tale of 2 broken people who found each other. Its a story that writes itself.