Playing With Fire and Ice ✔︎

By J_Quinonez91

There was a species of humans that was thought to be extinct. They were known as The Gifted, humans with supe... More

Disclaimer
Introduction
I
II
III ~Oliver~
IV ~Oliver~
V ~Oliver~
VI~Oliver~
VII
VIII
IX
X
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI

XI

1.5K 93 28
By J_Quinonez91

Oliver parks across the street from the school and Alyson and I get out of the car as Oliver stays rooted in his seat.

"Oliver?" His eyes move to mine when he hears my voice. "We don't have to go inside if you don't want to." He shrugs at me unsure of what he wants to do.

"Alyson head inside and hear what they are saying please," she nods and walks ahead of us.

I slide back into the passenger seat and do not utter a word. I can sense Oliver's inner turmoil. He wants to know what they are saying but he is not sure how he is going to handle it.

"You know that they see me as the bad guy not you right?" I glance at him and he is now staring at me with big eyes. Like a child seeking his parents' reassurance.

"I know I just don't understand why they see you like that." I shrug I do not understand that as well. I take everything they throw at me and only hurt myself in the process.

"People fear what they don't understand and you know what they have told us as kids," he shakes his head, "playing with fire is dangerous."

"So is ice," he cracks a smile at me, "it can give you frostbite you know."

"Ice can't bring down an entire house," I retort.

"Touché," he lets out a humorless laugh. "Come let's see what these non-dangerous folks are saying."

Oliver actually manages to climb out of the car this time. I follow him as he crosses the road. By this time everyone is already in the auditorium where the meeting is being held. We walk in silence as Oliver takes a deep breath I follow his example and breathe in as well.

This is either going to make him stronger or break him as it did me. Oliver's walk radiates confidence but his face is a well-fabricated mask of impassiveness. He stops before the entrance and I take my place next to him letting him know that I am there for him.

Oliver's next move surprises me his cold fingers wrap around my hand. I look over at him and he glances my way, "I want to feel warm," he looks down at our hands a part of me, the sad lonely girl wants to push his hand away but I know that he needs me.

"Here we go."

"Three, two," he takes a deep breath, "One." We both step forward and we push the doors open.

"We have no idea what they are capable of," the voice booms through the speakers and then the silence falls as everyone turns to look at who caused the disruption.

The principal along with the PTA and a few other people that I do not know are up on the stage. Oliver walks down the aisle with me in tow. Oliver ignores the silence around him and keeps his eyes lock on the principal, an overweight, balding, and loud man. The principal stares at us as we make our way to the front row. Oliver gestures for me to take a seat like a gentleman I do and he takes the seat next to me. The girl next to me does not like that I choose that seat so she stands up and jumps over the seat and moves away from me.

I glance over at the people around us and they seem surprised to see us. "Go on," Oliver's voice disrupts the silence, "You have no idea what we are capable of." Oliver leans to the side resting his elbow on the armrest between us getting closer to me.

"I-I," Mr. Kratz, the principal, stammers.

"To be honest I don't see the point to this meeting," Oliver states nonchalantly.

"Me either," Alyson speaks up and I see that she is a couple seats behind us. She gets out of her seat and gracefully walks over to us and to my surprise sits on my lap since there are no more seats. Oliver looks over at us and smiles.

"You see this is my problem. You want to ruin our lives as you succeeded with Cassie but now she has me." I look over at him and his hand grabs mine once again.

"And me!" Alyson interjects.

"And Alyson. I came out to my parents and they support me. They might not understand what is happening to me but they seem as if they're going to be there for me."

"He is our son why wouldn't we?" His father walks through the doors with his wife behind him. They must have had a problem finding a parking as well.

"You're dangerous!" The principal spits into the microphone in front of him.

"So you like to provoke the people that can cause you harm? It seems like you're grabbing the bull by the horns and you're about to be rammed."

"The bull!" He scoffs, "more like the devil with you two!" Oliver's jaw clenches and Alyson gasps.

"You Sir need to watch how you talk!" Alyson yells at the man in front. "Last time I checked we are in school and religion is not permitted." She narrows her eyes at him and Mr. Kratz is fuming at the podium.

"Young lady I would stay clear of these two they can cause you more trouble than they are worth."

"Some people can say the same about you as well," she mumbles and leans into me. I can hear the people whispering around us.

"Is she insane?"

"She can combust at any moment."

"She has a death wish." I can feel my hands tremble and Oliver gives me a reassuring squeeze. I take a deep breath and plaster on a fake smile. I press my forehead against Alyson's shoulder blade trying to hide my face against the people up on stage.

Our principal clears his throat, "so are we going to have the same agreement as we did with Cassie Fierce?" My head snaps up as I hear my name.

"It would be easier to ask you who is on their side let's count. Who's on The Gifted side?" The principal's eyes scan the auditorium and Oliver's parents stand up along with us of course. No one else moves they stay in their seats.

"Well, I guess it is unanimous that Oliver and Cassie," he stops when the tsking that Alyson does interrupts him.

She wags her finger from side to side, "there are a few people that want to join in this voting."

What? I look over at Oliver and he seems as confused as I am.

The doors burst open and I turn to see Mrs. Beth standing there, "Y'all are a bunch of idiots." There is a gasp that echoes loudly in the large building. "These kids are innocent and you treat them as if they were criminals. Not that long ago The Gifted lived in our small town. They did everything that they possibly could to keep all of us safe and look at them now. Theirs dwindling down to these two precious kids and you come along and treat the like donkey shit," I snort trying to hold back my laughter. Did she just really say that?

"These kids have mine and everyone out here's vote." She looks down and her eyes lock on mine.

How? I mouth.

"I called her before walking in. We need as much support as possible. Mrs. Beth wants to talk to you two after this." Oliver looks over at me and I give him a relief look that makes him smile as well.

"Come on kids I have someone that wants to meet you and the rest of you I suggest you start sleeping with y'all night lights because things are about to go bump in the night." Alyson jumps off of me and runs up to Mrs. Beth. Oliver guides me out of the seat and into the aisle. Oliver grabs my hand and tows me back up the path to the front door. Mrs. Beth is looking at us with endearing eyes when someone eyes catch mine. I look to the back row and at the very corner is my mother, father, and Paul. The look of pure hatred and anger is embedded in my little brother's eyes.

"Paul?" His name leaves my lips as a whimper and his eyes narrow at me and he mutters under his breath. My father nods and my brother gets up from his seat and runs out the side door avoiding me completely.

He is not the same Paul from before. He is not my fun-loving kid brother anymore.

***

Comment, Vote, and Follow

Follow me on my Social Medias for new covers, music, and ideas or just to chat with yours truly:

Snapchat: judyquinonez

Instagram: j_quinonez91

Tumblr: mywattpadblog91

Twitter: judyquinonez91

Happy Reading my MoonGazers

Much Love,

J_Quinonez91

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233 35 19
There are a million possibilities. Possibilities that we don't get to travel. Possibilities that we don't get to see. Possibilities that can cause ev...
8 0 5
Two of our secured lords were sealed away five hundred years ago. They were passed down from person to person until they were left in the hands of t...
104 21 16
How do you love an immortal, when you yourself are nothing but a mere human? #OpenNovellaContest2021 Prompt: The war has ended, and thus the immor...
490 83 52
I never thought it would end like this. I always thought I had a home. I always thought I had a family, but as it turns out, my past is darker than t...