Elizabeth Harrison's Hope For...

By symhere

BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for... More

1: Mourning For Mother's Death
2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give
3: The Things She Left For Them
4: His Everyday Life
5: Doctors Are Not Gods
6: An Awkward Interaction
7: Her Savior
8: An Apology And A Slap
9: A Secret To Keep
10: The Pain He Is In
11: Like Mother, Like Daughter
12: Too Drunk To Think
13: The First Kiss
14: A Favor To Ask
15: The Key They Both Didn't Have
16: People Change
17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings
18: Slapped
19: Is It Too Hard To Get?
20: The Kiss They Shared Again
21: Elizabeth's Crush
22: A New Friend, Maybe?
24: Just Him And Her
25: The Morning After
26: Breakfast
27: Asked On A Date
28: The Help Fay Needs
29: He Can't Resist Her
30: So Close
31: Screw The Rules
32: Can We Talk?
33: Who Is Mia?
34: I Like You.
35: Don't Be Sorry For How You Feel.
36: Mia And Elizabeth.
37: Suspicion.
38: Date Night.
39: Eliza.
40: In The Name Of Love.
41: A Bloody Night.
42: All Hell Broke Loose.
43: The One They Lost.
44: You Do.
45: Blur.
46: The Funeral.
47: An Unexpected Visitor.
48: The Truth.
49: Lost Her.
50: Moving On.
51: The Complete Truth.
52: Yet You Know.
53: The News.
54: Something To Remember Me By.
55: A Unique Friendship.
56: Leo Is Here.
57: Leo Knows.
58: Drunken Leo.
59: The Cold Night.
60: Leo Meets Fred.
61: The Unexpected Guest.
62: A Surprise Visit.
63: Ice Cream.
64: Elizabeth's Visitor.
65: Tattoos and Realization.
66: Unwanted Interruption.
67: Missing You.
68: Jen's Confession.
69: Wedding Planner.
70: Elizabeth's Realization.
71: Deal.
72: The Unexpected Guest.
73: Bonding.
74: Confession.
75: Jealousy.
76: Pain of the Past.
77: Breakfast And Kisses.
78: Ruby's Gift.
79: The Last One.
Epilogue.

23: The Housewarming Party

815 36 0
By symhere

The week went rather quickly for Elizabeth and soon it was Saturday. Today she will be hosting a house warming party. A was the first gathering she will be hosting on her own – without any help. Although she doesn't know many people – she still managed to invite Ethan, Mosa, Fayette, Leo, and her neighbor, Jennifer – or should she say that Jennifer invited herself. She also managed to invite a couple of her other work colleagues, Samantha and Josh – they work on the same floor as hers and greets each other whenever they meet. Elizabeth couldn't say no to her especially when Jennifer has been nothing but nice to her and when she isn't aware of the past that Elizabeth and her fiancé hold. Jennifer told Elizabeth that Fred wouldn't make it since he is busy tonight and Elizabeth knows that he is simply ignoring Elizabeth and for once she is thankful for that. Elizabeth doesn't think she would be comfortable around Fred. She knows she will be hurt to see them together – it was already hard enough for her to grasp the news of their wedding that is just three months away.

Jennifer turned out to be a very personable woman. She is friendly and very helpful. Elizabeth likes her and in just three days – the managed to bond up to some level. But, deep down Elizabeth is guilty to know that Jennifer is still aware of her and Freddie. At so many points she decided to tell her, but back down when she saw the gleam of happiness in her eyes when she talked about Freddie and her. Maybe, it is why Elizabeth hasn't been able to fully open to Jennifer and nor is she feeling herself around her. There is a burden of bitter reality on her shoulders and she is afraid that soon or later it will not only hurt her but Jennifer as well.

"Elizabeth, if you need anything for the housewarming party tonight – just let me know, okay? I will bring it fresh from the bakery," Jennifer told Elizabeth while she helped her with moving the furniture to make some room. Elizabeth, who was deep in her thoughts, looked at Jennifer and curled her lips in a small smile before she nodded her head, "Of course, I will." Elizabeth replied and walked inside the kitchen with bowls that she borrowed from Jennifer for snacks. She put her hands on the counter and sighed. Jennifer has been nothing but extra sweet to her since she came here and now Elizabeth feels like she is stuck on the web of lies.

Jennifer owns a small bakery just a few blocks away from their building. She and her parents started the business when she was a teen. Her mother mostly used to bake, but when she was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago – she decided to step up and take over the kitchen. Her parents retired after her mother's sickness and now she solely runs the business and from what she had heard – her bakery is quite famous in the area. Jennifer promised to bring cake and some savory items for the party since Elizabeth didn't know what to serve her guests. Here Jennifer is helping her with everything and Elizabeth is hiding the reality of her fiancé and it makes her feel horrible. "Elizabeth," Elizabeth stood straight and turned around to see Jennifer walking in the kitchen. "Hey, are you okay?" She asked.

Elizabeth nodded her head and chuckled, "Yeah, I was just thinking about something – why? what happened?" She asked. Jennifer shook her head, "Nothing, I was just calling your name, but you weren't replying." She said. Elizabeth let out a hesitant chuckle, "Oh, it is nothing. Listen, once again thank you so much for your help – I mean it. I don't know what I would have done with your help." Elizabeth meant each word she said. Jennifer waved her hand dismissively, "It was nothing. Anyways, I am going to the bakery – just call me when you need me, okay?" She asked. Elizabeth nodded her head and thanked her again before Jennifer went back to her apartment. Elizabeth closed the door behind her and rested her forehead on the door before closing her eyes and sighing out loud, "I am such a horrible person," She whispered to herself.

Elizabeth's day went by quickly as she was busy with cleaning and making her house look homey. She also went out and bought drinks and snacks. She would have made dinner but she can hardly boil an egg. She placed everything on the table in the corner of her lounge and after making sure everything was ready – she went to get ready herself. She showered and dried her hair before she changed into a dark blue knee-length dress and applied some makeup. Just a few minutes after seven, someone ranges her doorbell. The guests finally started to arrive. She blew her cheeks and looked at herself in the mirror, "It is just a small gathering – you can do it," She told herself before she went out and opened the door to see Jennifer with few paper bags in hand and a cake box was resting on the floor. Elizabeth helped Jennifer by putting all the food Jennifer brought, "This is too much, Jennifer. How much did it cost?" She asked her grinning neighbor.

Jennifer waved her hand dismissively, "Oh, leave it – consider it a gift from me." She smiled. Elizabeth smiled back and shook her head, "No, this is too much. I can't accept it all," She replied. Jennifer laughed, "Hey, it isn't too much. It is okay. We didn't sell much during the day anyway and I don't sell stale products so, it is better to consume it then throw it all away, right?" She argued and Elizabeth couldn't help but feel even burdened by her such a nice gesture. Jennifer started to take the cake and other food items out of the bag while Elizabeth stood still – feeling guilty. She gulped and decided to walk Jennifer out of the dark. She sighed, "Jennifer," She called her out and Jennifer turned her head to look at her. "Yeah," She asked. Elizabeth mashed her lips, "I need to talk to you about something," She said. Jennifer smiled, "Okay, about what?" She asked and just then the bell once again rang. Elizabeth looked towards the door and rolled her eyes. "Maybe, you should open the door." Jennifer joked and Elizabeth sighed and went to open the door to see Ethan and Mosa on the door.

"Hey, Happy shifting to the new house," Mosa wished Elizabeth at which Ethan and Elizabeth chuckled. "What? What else am I supposed to say?" Mosa shrugged before he handed her a basket of fruits. Elizabeth clicked her tongue and stepped aside to let them in while she accepts the present he brought for her, "You didn't have to," She said. "Come on, I could come without anything – and it isn't something too big, anyway," Mosa replied. Ethan smiled and handed Elizabeth a bottle of champagne he bought along with another wrapped up gift. "Come on, I didn't invite you guys so that you all would get me presents," Elizabeth said to Mosa and Ethan before she turned around to see Jennifer smiling as well, "You too, Jennifer. You all have been nothing but so good to me and honestly, that is more than enough for me." She said to the three of them. "This is what friends are for," Jennifer winked. With every passing second, Elizabeth feels like she is being suffocated by all the truth she has been hiding from Jennifer.

Elizabeth introduced Ethan and Mosa to Jennifer and soon they were randomly talking to each other. After some time more of her quests started to show up. At first, it was Fayette, then Josh showed up and then Samantha. Everyone was at her place before nine except for Leo. There was music playing in the background while her guests mingled with each other and all she could think was that Leo didn't show up. She looked at the time to see that it was already half an hour past eight and he was nowhere to be seen. She tried to keep up with the party, but she could help herself but look towards the door after every other minute.

Everyone was having a great time. All of them were drinking, eating, talking, laughing, and having fun except for Elizabeth. She was already feeling low before the truth she has been hiding from Jennifer and now Leo didn't show up. Whom was she kidding – of course, he was not going to come. He doesn't like her. As much as she wants to believe that he is changing his mind about her – she can't unforeseen the tension there always has been between them. He can't just like her – he doesn't think like her. She was feeling stupid. She sighed and poured some wine in her glass when Mosa walked to her, "Hey, are you okay?" He asked her. She forced a smile and nodded, "Yes, I am – why?" She asked. He smiled, "You can't stop looking at the door – are you waiting for someone?" He wiggled his eyebrows. Elizabeth didn't realize she was being so obvious. She chuckled and tried to dismiss his question, "No, I am not." She replied. "Do you want anything to eat?" She asked him. Mosa smiled and kept looking at her before he shook his head, "No, I am good." He replied.

Elizabeth and Mosa were talking about some random things when the doorbell rang once again – alerting Elizabeth. She jerked her head towards the door as a small smile lit on her face. So, he did come – a little late, but at least he showed up. She heard Mosa chuckling, so she glanced at him to see him grinning, "I knew there was someone," he winked and ate the cake. Elizabeth rolled her eyes playfully at him and walked to open the door. She smiled and took a deep breath before she twisted the knob and slowly opened the door – only for her smile to drop, "Hey," Fred greeted. Elizabeth was too shocked to reply. She blinked twice as she stares at him with widened eyes – he wasn't supposed to be here. Why was he at her place? He opened his mouth to say something when she heard Jennifer from behind her, "Babe? I thought you weren't coming," Elizabeth turned around to see Jennifer walking towards them.

Elizabeth stepped aside when Jennifer walked nearer to him and embraced him in a hug. A smile stretched on Fred's lips as he hugged her back, "I missed you," He mumbled and kissed the top of her head as he glanced at Elizabeth who stood broken heart while holding the door. She looked away from them and tried not to get her eyes glossy. "Guys, this is Fred – my fiancé." She announced to the small crowd – all of them cheered for the happy couple except for Elizabeth, who stood silent with a heavy heart. How was she supposed to tell Jennifer that the guy she is madly in love with was not only in a relationship with her, but he is also a cheater? Fred walked in as he glanced at Elizabeth from time to time where Elizabeth – she would ignore him and try to stay away. Fred was also making sure that he is with Jennifer – it is obvious he was afraid that the truth would come out, so he was just there to prevent it.

This gathering was turning into an unpleasant event for Elizabeth. Fred was there – talking to her colleagues and friends like he never did her wrong while she – in her party was standing in the corner – drinking wine. Elizabeth glanced at her wristwatch to see that it was ten past nine and Leo still didn't show up – he wasn't coming. Elizabeth couldn't decide what bothered her more – Fred's presence or Leo's absence. She blew her cheeks and wished for the party to end soon. She had to keep them entertained, so she asked them if they were up for pizza and none of them opposed. She called and ordered eight large pizzas just in case. While everyone was mingling, Elizabeth went in the kitchen to get some more beers and wine where Fayette followed her in, "Hey, Elizabeth." She said. Elizabeth turned around to see her stand while mashing her lips together. "Hey, Fay!" Elizabeth replied a little louder since someone played the music.

Fayette smiled and walked a little closer – she looked down and sighed, "Listen, uh – I know everybody got you something – I wanted to as well, but uh – I had – uh, I am –" Fayette hesitated so, Elizabeth came forward and knitted her eyebrows before placing her hand on her shoulder, "Oh no, please don't think that way – Fay, you came that's all that matters to me, honey. Please, I don't need gifts – I needed friends." She said to her to whom Fayette smiled, "Still I should have got you something – it is just things are a little tight these days," she said apologetically. Elizabeth shook her head, "No, I wanted you to come and that's my present from you and anyways, I just moved to a new place – it is not like it is my birthday or anything," Elizabeth chuckled. Fayette smiled back before they both hugged and went out with drinks in their hands.

Elizabeth was putting beer bottles on the table when the doorbell rang. "It must be the pizza we ordered," Elizabeth told Fayette before she clapped her hands together and went to open the door. She fling opened it with a hope of a pizza delivery guy with fresh and hot pizzas instead it was Leo – standing at her door with a bouquet of white flowers in one hand and a bottle of wine in order. Elizabeth was truly surprised to see him – it was already almost ten at night and she didn't believe he would show up now. Leo licked his lips and stretched his hand to hand her the flowers, "Uh, congratulations on the new apartment. Uh, I didn't know what to get you – so," he said as Elizabeth slowly take the flowers in her hand and smiled, "They are beautiful," She replied softly. He pressed his lips and nodded his head, "I brought wine as well," He added to which Elizabeth chuckled and took it from him as well, "Thank you." She replied and stepped aside.

Leo walked in as almost everybody looked at him – he turned his head to look at me, "I am sorry I am late. My shift ended after eight," He told him before he walked in and greeted the familiar faces while Elizabeth stood by the door with a smile on her face and the flowers and wine in her hands. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 13.7K 50
ALL PARTS WILL BECOME FREE ON JULY 15th - In six months, Gwen Johnston turns thirty, and when she does, she vows she'll have her life together. She'l...
235K 6.9K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...
1.6M 40.7K 53
Emma has sworn never to fall in love, but when circumstances force her to move in with her brother's best friend there are definite sparks. Like when...
5.5M 28.4K 9
{ CURRENTLY REWRITING } With one of the best college grades and her masters degree in hand, Emma Durson's next plan is to move to New York to pursue...