Why Her? (13 Reasons Why)

By galactic_universe2

I'm a living gossip. My last name says so... I'm Vanessa Baker, Hannah Baker's fraternal twin sister. Being... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 13

441 6 4
By galactic_universe2

[Zach Dempsey's POV]

"Motherfucket!" Bryce yelled as soon as he missed a swing. "You know his slider fucks with me, Dempsey! Quick calling that shit."

"It wasn't a slider, dude," I replied and threw the baseball back to the pitcher.

"You're fucking with me."

"Curve all the way," I sighed.

"Really?" he sighed as well and walked outside. "The fuck is my problem?"

"I think we both know, man," I took off my helmet.

"No, this doesn't have shit to do with her, okay?" he came back and I ignored him at first.

"My mom told me you got called to testify by the school," I said and he scoffed.

"My fucking mom--"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't want it announced to your new best friend. Or your girlfriend!" he approached.

"Alex and I, we're not tight like that" I replied, "We don't talk about shit that matters. Plus, Vanessa would understand all this because low key she's still your friend. Who else knows?"

"My parents, our lawyer--"

"Hey, if you guys want to fuck each other's dicks, there's a place for that, you know?" we heard the teasing of the boys, who wanted to play.

"Nobody else needs to know, I got your back" I said and he nodded.

"Yeah. No, I know that, man. Thank you." we bumped our fists together and continue playing.

[...]

I waited for Vanessa to finish her practice sitting on the benches. You could tell how happy she was to continue with what allowed her to express herself. She would do some turns and stunts, which have encouraged me since she came to this school. She caught me looking at her and smiled at me from afar. About ten minutes later she arrived with her suitcase and gave me a tender kiss on the lips.

"Did you stay for me?" she asked and sat next to me.

"Of course, I told you that I would protect you" I let go and put my arm around her shoulder,"How's the comeback?

"Not that bad for not knowing what was going on," she laughed, "How was baseball?"

"Not that bad for been doing the same damn thing," I replied and we laughed together.

"Are we going to your house or will you leave me at mine?" she asked.

"No, let's hang out here."

"What will we do?"

"A challenge" I grabbed her hand and led her to the baseball field. "Let's run a bit."

"Run?" she complained, "Are you serious? I haven't run that much--"

"Come on, it'll be fun!" I encouraged her and started jogging. She chased me until she caught up with me.

"You're evil," she gasped, but insisted on running, "You take advantage of the fact that I'm very competitive."

She started to accelerate. I started giggling like a fool and started catching up with her. I grabbed her around the waist and lifted her into the air.

"Zach!" she started to laugh out loud.

"This race means how much I love you for being in my life," I slowed down my steps and turned to his direction.

"So I have used up my excess energy, which I point out we would have used in something better, to clarify your point?" she smiled.

"Well, yeah, basically," I answered and gave her a passionate kiss.

"Aren't you supposed to have physical therapy with Al now?"

"He won't come, he's that stubborn" I shrugged.

"Then, we can use the pool just for ourselves," she said flirtatiously.

"You're tempting me, but no. I must leave you safely at home, "I put my hands on her waist and she buffed.

"What if I don't want to go home yet?", she placed her cold hands on my chest. "Let's spend more time, don't you think?"

"As the lady wishes," I smiled, "Do you want to travel?"

"Travel? How?"she asked.

"You know ... on a plane, anywhere in the world, just the two of us--"

"We're still minors, Zach," she smiled.

"It doesn't have to be now," I raised an eyebrow, "We have a year left, or a couple of months. We can start planning everything.

"We'll see after all this. And you know what I mean."

"The trial?"

"That and another thing, Zach..."she put his forehead on my chest, sighing deeply.

"Don't worry so much about it, Nessie," I looked at her. She was trembling with fear and the most I did was hug her.

"It's not so much for... You know who," she sniffed, "There's something I didn't tell you."

"What's wrong?", I looked up and she wasn't crying anymore, "Is it something serious?"

"Not at all, I guess," she murmured. "Hannah's sister is going to testify in court in a few days. I don't know where he comes from, but he's going to speak up for the Bakers. The school collected information on her as well."

"How do you know that? Did Mrs. Baker tell you?"

"I heard her, Zach. The house has thin walls. Besides, I went to Mr. Porter a few days ago."

"Okay ... do you want to go home to rest?"

"I think so now, thank you." she let go and started walking back to the stands.

[...]

[The next day]

We were walking after break with Vanessa by my side, Bryce with Chloe, Monty and Reed. They wanted me to skip class to hang out, but Nessie was telling them no, just like me.

"Seriously, dude. I'm not kidding," I told Monty, "I'm just worried about it. All right?"

"Why don't  you ask your boyfriend for help in history?" he replied, "Oh wait,  he's brain damaged."

"Shut up, Montgomery ..." Vanessa growled, but I stopped her. She looked at me strangely and sighed "Leave Alex alone, understood? Or is it that you are the one with the most brain damage?"

"You're just jealous because he had a brain to damage, Monty," Bryce scoffed.

"Guys, if I don't ace this test, I might drop below a C, okay? - I explained.

"So play the dad card again. Metcalf will let you slide."

"It's not a carde, dude."

"Idiots," whispered Vanessa rolling the eyes.

"No, I know." Bryce said, "Fuck, sorry, brother. You know what I mean."

"If only Chloe hadn't stop doing study group while Nessa worked," I muttered and my girlfriend looked at me strangely.

"I'm sorry, Zach," the blonde snorted. "I've just been so busy with everything."

"Yes, "everything" meaning doing Bryce", Monty hissed and the blonde kissed his girlfriend's head.

"Hey, well, it's Zach's fault. He set us up," Chloe replied.

"I gave him your number. The rest is not my fault." I looked at her and grabbed Nessie's hand tighter, "Let's get out of here, Ness."

"Meaning what, exactly?" Bryce asked me.

"Meaning I have to gey to class," I replied and went up the stairs with Vanessa clinging to me.

"Is there a study group? Why didn't you tell me you needed help?" Nessa asked me.

"Because I didn't know if you would help me after what happened." I replied.

"I used to help Justin when he was in math, Zach. It wasn't going to be a problem."

"Exactly, the girl with the most A's in high school, other than Crimsen, is your girlfriend, Dempsey." Monty replied, "You don't even take advantage of her intelligence."

"For the first time in the history of Liberty High, I've heard Montgomery De la Cruz say something decent," Vanessa scoffed.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment, Balan," he winked at her.

[...]

[Vanessa Baker's POV]

Zach and I were walking with Alex to the seats, helping him sit up, when Jessica rushed up to us.

"Hey, guys", she jumped a little nervous, "What are you doing right now? Do you want to ditch with me?"

"Definitely." Alex got up, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, totally. I just need to get out of here."

"Guys, I cannot skip this class," Zach said.

"Zach, we need you!" Davis snapped.

"You need my car." my boyfriend clarified.

"I have nothing to do with here, so I'd better sit down ..." I tried to say but Zach grabbed my arm, telling me not to go.

"All three!" said Jess, "Look, Zach, if you can't come, you can maybe..." 

"Give her the car keys." I finished the sentence.

"Exactly" she hugged me sideways.

"Okay, but only if Jess drives," Zach replied, searching for his car keys.

"It's an automatic." Alex said and we looked at it seriously- My right foot works."

"Jess drives," Zach answered seriously and Jessica took the keys from his hand.

"Thank you, Zachy." she grabbed Alex's suitcase and left with him.

"I must assume that today I should've brung my skates..." I joked and he snorted.

"I think I'll leave a skateboard in my locker in case the flies",  we sat one in front of the other.

"This is going to be my last class of the day, then I have to go to work." I blurted out and hugged him from my position, "I'm going home and change my clothes, then I work until seven. Just in case you wanted to know."

"I'm your guardian angel, Nessie. At the same time as your boyfriend, your confidant and your best friend, "he turned and kissed me on the forehead,  "Now I just need to be your driver, but they took my car."

"How funny," I stuck out my tongue.

"Correction, how in love am I with you" he smiled and I blushed.

What is happening to me? I shouldn't be doing this ... I should tell him the truth.

"Good morning, students," the teacher arrived, "Today we will talk about the Revolution of the Thirteen American Colonies and our Constitution. Can anyone give us a short explanation about this?"

"Take note," I whispered and raised my hand.

"Vanessa!" 

"Well, the Revolution of the colonies occurred towards the second half of the 18th century, led by the inhabitants of the 13 English colonies, in response to the political and economic measures imposed by George III, King of England."

"Right!" he congratulated me. "Besides that ..." 

He kept talking until I almost fell asleep. I was so bored with this class, but I was doing everything for my best friend / boyfriend / confidante.

"Thank you, babe," Zach whispered and I smiled.

Really, having a double life was something I couldn't do. But how can I keep back?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 101 20
The following story that you are about to read is what I would have done if I had been a student at Liberty High and I think that that could have pre...
112K 4.6K 22
I stepped back from the door as a kick knocked down the door. The guy did not have time to react as I ran towards him and hit him in the back of the...
The New Me By Barbie

Teen Fiction

6.4M 168K 55
High school is supposed to be the greatest years of our lives but so far for me it's been the worst my sophomore year I had only 2 best friends one e...
65.1K 1.9K 114
With everything that has happened to Hannah Baker during her time at Liberty High, one event finally makes her decision very clear. She starts thinki...