The Flood Controller's Wife

By dailyglassofwine

Weiying was born a man but due to some circumstances he had to pretend to be a girl until he was eighteen yea... More

Authors's Rants & Disclaimer
Premise
Prologue
Characters & Places
Chapter 1: I don't want to be a girl anymore
Chapter 2: Horses hate the smell of foxgrass
Chapter 3: This bow is made from whale what?
Chapter 4: Bird shooter
Chapter 5: A bow is just a bow
Chapter 6: Lanzhan likes my bow
Chapter 7: This bow reminds me of you
Chapter 8: The lotus had began its first bloom
Chapter 9: Don't you know I am also a Man
Chapter 10: This jade hairpin is so beautiful
Chapter 11: The day I married him
Chapter 12: Don't fall in love with him
Chapter 13: Your hair smelled of flowers
Chapter 14: Beautiful..
Chapter 15: Heart beats like rain drops
Chapter 16: The river gives and takes away
Chapter 17: Man in the silver mask
Chapter 19: I'll show you who I really am
Chapter 20: I will protect you
Chapter 21: Wounds underneath my skin
Chapter 22: Wounds part 2
Chapter 23 : Not heavy
Chapter 24: Cavern
Chapter 25 Temptress
Chapter 26: The Rock cave was unexpectedly deep
Baobei don't cry, Smile for me please?
Chapter 28: For what was worth
Chapter 29 Minister Wei
Chapter 30: Catching shadows
Chapter 31: The prince's tent

Chapter 18: Into the woods

1.8K 163 13
By dailyglassofwine

*Welcome to Chapter 18. For the lot of you who have been supporting the story. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude. Thank you for taking the time to read, thank you for your encouraging words and votes. I may not have time to reply to all of them so I am writing this short message to thank you all my loyal readers! Without you this would not be possible. This story was much more challenging to put together compared to my other stories so far. For every chapter that was churned out, I learned to be a better writer so hopefully the writing will improve as time goes by. Nevertheless, the learning journey continues. thank you for sticking with me through with my occasional grammatical errors, typos and other shortcomings in the story, mostly thank you for waiting patiently for a new update. Since updates have been slower, I try to write longer chapters. Without further ado-Please enjoy!

*

*

Chapter 18

Outside the cave, the sky was overcast. The weather was damp and cold. Weiying was deep in thought. There was no time for sorrow. If the water channel could be blocked. There might have been more places that were also blocked off.

Zichen received news that Prince Chen had gone to Changsa to set up forces there. Changsa was to the north of Longxi. The river flows from the higher ground and pooled at Longxi. It was also believed that the refugees who had lost their homes would flee north. It was a safer route compared to going southbound that might have been flooded as well. Shushe reluctantly tagged along since he was left with no choice and for now, going along with these two daozhang would ensure his safety. They trekked down the woods and headed towards the town. It was also located on higher ground that would be safe from flood.

Weiying thought that Zichen's background was not so simple since he seemed to know many happenings in the kingdom and was actively engaged in the affairs of the kingdom. He wondered why he had to hide his identity. Nevertheless, Weiying decided to follow him for it was the most plausible option he had at the moment. His father might have gone there with the other refugees as well.

The rain had stopped and inside the woods was eerily quiet save for the crackling of leaves cracking beneath their footwear as they walk. Judging from the time they left the cave and the distance they had trekked, it was supposed to be midday. The three were walking in the woods obscured by the forest canopy. Underneath the tall trees, it felt like dusk. The weather still damp and cold. Spots of light entered the forest floor through the gaps in the leaves on the forest canopy. It wasn't much to light up the place. They heard a rustling of the leaves nearby. Weiying's eyes perked up and raced to the bushes toward the noise. Turning the clearing, Weiying saw a familiar brown mane munching on the patch of grass below. It was his horse that he had left behind.

"Hanxue its you!"

The brown horse was gifted to him by Lanzhan. The horse was the descendant of a famous imperial warhorse of the highest pedigree. When it arrived, they came in a pair. Lanzhan had the other pair called "Fengxue". Hanxue had speed, agility and was smarter than most horses. When he saw Weiying, he immediately looked up and began to stroke his head on Weiying's arm.

"Good boy! You waited for me."

The horse gave a snort and Weiying stroked his head with his palm. His two other companion soon caught up and witnessed their untimely reunion. Hanxue glanced at the two men and stepped forward towards them. For a moment, Weiying was worried he might turn aggresive. Hanxue would turn aggresive when provoked or if he did not like someone. However, Hanxue stopped in front of Zichen. To Weiying's astonishment, he stepped forward and greeted Zichen the same way he did with Weiying. The scene made his heart thump for a moment. He had the sudden urge to lift up the silver mask off his face. His fingers moved swiftly toward the silver mask, his heart longing to peel it off and find out the face behind it. Zichen, trained well to be alert of his surroundings, caught Weiying's hand in a firm grip just as quickly caught as if silently warning him to back off. He had no choice but to comply, a wave of complex emotions stirred inside him.

A moment later, a gust of wind blew toward them followed by a distant sound of hooves pounding onto the forest floor.

"Someone's coming."

The only horse they had could not carry the three of them. The trees were long and tall and short grasses fill the forest floor. There were hardly any bushes nearby to give them ground cover. The position they were in was vulnerable and garnered too much exposure. In the distance, they could see a group of men donning black clothing and black masks on horseback advancing toward them.

"Can you fight?" Zichen asked Weiying.

"Sure. My hands are getting stiff anyway."

Shushe's face was pale. He had been a trader, a spy. He was mostly a businessman who loved money but he was a terrible fighter. As if reading his thoughts, Zichen dragged him behind a large tree trunk, sat him down on the ground then tied him up.

"Don't attempt to run away. Its too dangerous here. Stay close to us if you value your life."

He nodded automatically, afraid that he would anger Zichen.

"Take the horse."

"Huh..What about you?"

The men were approaching so Weiying boarded Hanxue. To his surprise, Zichen climbed up on Hanxue's back right after him. He sat down directly behind Weiying. Their bodies were close and Weiying was suddenly conscious of the heat of another person on his back. The sudden warmth made him nervous.

As if reading his thoughts, Zichen whispered to him, "Focus." Zichen grabbed onto Hanxue's reins and placed them on Weiying's fingers.

"Go!" He hollered.

Their attackers came to view. They were about a dozen men on horseback donning black masks covering their heads and faces, flinging their swords that flashed with silver light brimming with killing intent.

Weiying only had the arrows on his back and a small dagger on his belt. The two sides were almost clashing.

"Don't worry. I'll protect you." Zichen whispered.

With that, Zichen placed his sword on Weiying's hand, then he unseathed the dagger on Weiying's belt. Zichen gave Weiying's shoulder a slight push then leapt up the horse before landing accurately behind one man's horse. With the dagger, he slashed the masked man's throat, then took over his sword before kicking him off the horse. The figure fell to the ground. More soon followed as Zichen skillfully took over command of the newly acquired horse and fought with the rest of the men.

Weiying was a skillful swordsman however, he lacked experience. In a situation like this, his skills were pitted against his lack of experience. Dodging the attackers in front of him, Weiying occasionally glanced in awe at Zichen's techniques. His movements were swift and he would easily overtake the opponents throwing themselves onto him.

The attacks came and went. He held the sword on one hand and another clutching Hanxue's reins tightly, maneuvering him back and forth. He instinctively tried his best to protect his horse from harm. It was after all, a wedding gift from his groom. Zichen was leaping from horse to horse pushing off his enemies easily. By this time, about half a dozen men fell to the ground under Zichen's attacks. They were no ordinary soldiers and their sword skills were on par with soldiers of special forces and those trained soldiers would not back down easily and was quite troublesome to deal with. A kick landed on Weiying's chest and he was thrown off his horse. He landed on the ground hard. This was a real fight and he was about to find out the brutality of it first hand. A sickening taste of metal gathered inside his mouth. This fight was real and he was not about to get beaten so easily.

"Get up!" He heard Zichen's scream from a few meters away. He was also on the ground blocking the attacks from his opponent.

Weiying picked up his sword and blocked his attackers. There were two crowding him. Their swords pushed him back and he was soon pitted agains a tree. Their moves were strong and his hand that held the sword was kicked. The sword fell to the ground with a clank. Silver light bounced off his eyes, momentarily blinding his vision. A swift sound of blade was directed toward his chest. Weiying panicked. He had no time for couterattack. He stood where he was and closed his eyes to brace for the impact. When the blade pierced through, a swishing sound, along with monstrous speed flashed by. The figure infront of him stiffened and dark wetness seeped through the black mask on the man's face. The liquid flowed down on Weiying's palm and fell in crimson drops.

Weiying looked up, Zichen had thrown his sword, stabbing his attacker on his back.

Weiying's breathing shallowed. 

He was still alive.

The very next moment, he felt his back collar was grabbed violently, his body swung and crashed to the attacker's chest and a cold metal blade was pressed on his throat. His lack of experience finally caught up to him in the most brutal way. In a fight like this, one must not be swayed by anything he saw or anything that happened. A moment of hesitation would mark the fighter's downfall.

Zichen who had just plunged his sword and retrieved it from another man in black saw what happen and turned pale instantly.

"Drop it!" The voice behind him hollered.

Weiying looked around at the scattered dead bodies on the ground. Some were wounded horses sprawled pitifully next to its rider. The smell of blood thickened in the air. There was only humidity and no wind to ward of the foul smell. 

His chest was throbbing violently. There was one enemy left standing. And he was right behind him, pressing the blade against his throat. His compatriots had perished but it did not matter to him. He had his goal at the palm of his finger-within his reach. In an instant, the situation was reversed.

"Now now, give me the map and he lives!"

"Don't do it Zichen. Take Hanxue and leave this place right now!" Weiying shouted.

"Who says ye can talk!" The masked man was provoked and scored his blade on Weiying's throat ever so thinly, causing thin strands of blood to mark his honey colored neck.

The silver mask gleamed weakly as Zichen's sword dropped to the ground with a loud clank.

Zichen moved a step closer.

"Don't move! Stay where you are. Throw the map over!"

"Release him and I will hand the map."

Weiying wanted to protest yet the sharpness of the cold blade was dangerously pitted against his flesh so that every slight movement would let it sink in further. The sound of horses galloping on the forest flood was audible in the distance. The man behind him started to panic.

"Hand it over now before I kill him!"

There was slight urgency in his voice. His hand that held the blade trembled slightly as the sound of horses drew near. The blade sank further in Weiying's neck. His face paled as more fresh blood dripped down.

Zichen fished a silver cylindrical canister from his sleeve pocket. Weiying could feel the blade on his throat loosened. The man behind him gave a snort. He seemed to be relieved at Zichen's action.

"Now throw it over!" he commanded.

The metal cannister flew and landed in front of Weiying's feet with a thud.

Weiying felt his body lowered together with the man holding him on his back. Once he picked up the silvery object, he dragged Weiying toward one of the horses.

"Let him go now!"

The sound drew nearer. There was no telling on whose side the bunch of approaching men would be on. With all his strength, the man kicked Weiying in the gut. The force was strong enough to send him falling to the ground hard a few meters away. A wave of nausea kicked in and a pungent tang of iron filled his mouth. He spat a mouthfull of blood on the ground, staining the patch of green with an unsightly crimson splatter.

By this time, the man was on the horseback, stretching out the reins commanding the horse to leave immediately. The horse screeched and made the escape. The gallops drew nearer still.

Zichen was by Weiying's side holding him by his arms.

"Can you stand?"

Weiying nodded. Fresh crimson liquid plastered across his lips.

"You have to go after him."

Zichen shook his head.

"I have to send you somewhere safe."

Few men with horses entered the area. Three of them followed the man who had escaped with the map.

They did not have time to get on Hanxue's back when the group of men came to view. They were dressed in dark green military ensemble bearing emblems belonging to the Wens. Their silver weapons gleamed viciously under the thin rays of sunlight seeping through the thick canopy. This was a border territory shared by the Wens and Qi so seeing Wen soldiers here was actually of no surprise. Weiying was just surprised how far the river had taken them away from home.

Zichen quietly fished something from his pocket and put it in his lips. Immediately, Hanxue screeched and ran into the woods.

True enough, they were surrounded. A fight was not attempted since they were clearly outnumbered.

Soon, both of them had their hands tied behind their backs, then mounted on one of the horses. Soon, the other soldiers came back with the man who stole the map.

Together, they rode on the horses' back and galloped away into the unfamiliar territory belonging to another kingdom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 16.9K 28
Wei Wuxian was a mischievous person. Everyone knew it. Upon going into the Coud Recesses to attend the 3 month lecture, this was something Lan Zhan h...
157K 10K 87
*** PLEASE READ STOLEN MEMORIES ARE NEVER FORGOTTEN FIRST****** They say that people change after they get married. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan have been...
5.4K 154 13
I know what you're thinking, making nonsense about Wei Wuxian had another child? Yep. It's just my my imagination ofc, no need to complain about rea...
37.6K 2.7K 26
Lanzhan finds himself in need of an Omega when his Nie Country visa application is denied and he's threatened with deportation. His quiet assistant...