Silence is Deafening

Od j_c_528

Running from darkness has never been easy, but Elizabeth Clarke seems to have it down to a science, now. The... Více

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
EPILOGUE

Chapter 4

519 11 4
Od j_c_528

"Remus! Have you seen my Ilvermorny jumper?" I called from my room.

I was holed away in my room, packing a small overnight bag to go and stay the night with Tonks. Tonight was a full moon, and Remus had never been comfortable with me staying at the house. No matter how many times I told him that I was staying, he wouldn't allow me to, even if he drank his potion. The potion, which he brewed the night we returned from Diagon Alley, allowed him to keep his mind during his transformation and not hurt anyone. I had told him that I wanted to stay at the house, and be with him during the transformation, but he yelled at me so harshly that it caused me to never ask again. Now, I'm used to sleeping somewhere once a month when I'm home. Usually it was with Tonks, sometimes at Kingsley's.

"Down here, in the parlor." he called back, and I grabbed my bag and went back downstairs. I grabbed the jumper and stuffed it into my bag, looking up at Remus.

"Tonks will be here to collect you any minute. I'm going to send your school trunk with you, just in case...well, in case something comes up and I cannot accompany you to the train station tomorrow morning." Remus said. I nodded sadly, not wanting to think about boarding the Hogwarts Express without Remus bidding me farewell. "You'll try though, won't you? To come?" I asked, hating that my voice made me sound like a frightened child. "Of course I will, Lizzie, sweetheart." Remus said, placing a hand on my shoulder. He smiled at me, but I could already tell he was feeling anxious and his head was throbbing. That was the beginning of the change, but it was still early so that I was in no danger.

Just then, we heard a crack in the living room. We walked in, seeing Tonks standing in the middle of the room. She was a slender, pale girl with short hair. Usually it was hot pink, however right now it was a mousy brown shade; something I had never seen on her before. She looked tired, but her face broke into a splitting grin when we entered the room. "Remus!" She said, warmly. She hurried forward and hugged him, and he looked utterly taken aback. "Oh- I-er- hello, Dora. Very lovely to see you." Remus said, detaching himself from her. She stepped backward, grinning broadly at him. I cleared my throat and she whipped her head around to look at me. "Lizzie, my girl!" She said, latching herself onto me. I, unlike my godfather, wrapped my arms around her and squeezed. "It's been too long, Tonks." I whispered. She let go of me and sighed, looking at Remus.

"You don't have to do this alone, you know. I could stay with you. My mum as at my house, Lizzie could go stay with her and then I could be here-" "Nymphadora, please!" Remus said, almost harshly. Tonks looked angry with Remus using her full name, but decided not to push it. I looked between them, feeling the awkwardness in the air.

"I'll- er...go and get my trunk, then?" I asked, not waiting to be dismissed. I left the room in a hurry, wanting to give them a bit of space. I hurried up the stairs, grabbing my trunk.

"Trunk...wand...books...Oh Squidge!" I practically yelled, almost forgetting the owl. He fluttered his tawny wings in his cage, looking almost offended. I grabbed him, and headed for the stairs.

"Remus, why?" I heard Tonks whisper in a low voice. The pain in her question made me stop. I felt bad, but I held my breath and listened into their conversation.

"Dora, I've told you. I am too dangerous for you. Too old for you. You are young, there are plenty of men your age that would be so much better for you...that would give you the life you deserve. I've seen the way that both Bill and Charlie Weasley look at you, Dora. Give them a chance! I-...I just cannot give you...what you're looking for." Remus said. The sound of his voice broke my heart, because I knew what pain sounded like coming from him. He sighed heavily.

"Remus, don't you understand? I don't care. All of what you just said, I don't care about! I want you, not them. I have feelings for y-" "Lizzie, are  you ready, darling?" Remus called, obviously hearing me near the stairs. I bit my lip, knowing I had been caught. "I am. I'm coming!" I called, in a falsely high voice.

I dragged the trunk down the stairs, holding Squidge in my left hand. Tonks came hurrying over to me, and dug her wand out of her cloak. She muttered a simple spell, and my trunk became pocket-sized. She quickly stuffed it into her robes, taking a look at Squidge. "I suppose we can apparate with him, though I've never tried..." She trailed off, tapping her chin with her wand. Remus stepped in, taking Squidge from me. "Let's not test it. I'll send Squidge to Hogwarts tonight, and he will be waiting for you when you arrive tomorrow evening." Remus said, smiling at me. I nodded my thanks and turned back to Tonks.

"We're apparating?" I asked, excited. I had never apparated before, but I had heard quite a lot about it. Tonks nodded enthusiastically. "Please, Dora, do not splinch my goddaughter. I do only have one, you know." Remus said, chuckling. I knew he was joking, but Tonks looked at him with utter shock. "Remus, have you that little faith in my magic?" She said, taken aback. She winked at me when he wasn't looking, and I smiled.

"I shall see you tomorrow, Lizzie, unless something comes up. Please be good and get rest tonight. You have a big day tomorrow." Remus said, rubbing his temples.
"I will, don't worry." I told him, walking over to him and wrapping my arms around his middle. He hugged me back tightly, but quickly. Remus was never the very affectionate type. I took a deep breath of his sage and honey smell, and let go. "See you tomorrow, shall I?" I said, standing beside Tonks as she wrapped her arm tightly across my shoulders. "Tomorrow." He echoed, waving.

And then I was flying. Not literally, I'm not sure exactly what I was doing. I felt as though I was being pulled apart in 100 different directions. It wasn't painful, but wasn't exactly comfortable. I was keenly aware that I was falling back to earth, and my muscles tightened in anticipation.

But my feet landed perfectly on solid ground. I wrenched my eyelids open, and looked over at Tonks, who was giggling. "I'm not an amateur, Lizzie. I know what I'm doing!" She laughed, pulling me into the house that we now stood in front of.

Inside, I heard someone in the kitchen. "Mum, we're back!" Tonks called, stopping just inside of the doorway and grabbing my shoulders.

"Have you ever met my mum, Lizzie?" she asked, and I shook my head. Tonks sighed, looking over her shoulder again. "Well, you know she's Bellatrix Lestrange's sister, correct?" She asked. "Yes...Tonks, what is it?" I asked, standing on my tip toes to see over her head. "Don't be alarmed, alright? She...well, she looks like her. Bellatrix. I know that Bellatrix...well, just don't be alarmed." Tonks finished, looking nervous. I took a deep breath to prepare myself.

Nothing could have prepared me for meeting Andromeda Tonks. She looked so like her sister, except that her eyes were friendly and not malicious. Her hair was light brown, almost the color of Tonks' hair right now. Her appearance still sent a chill running down my spine, and I took a few steps back before I stopped myself. Her eyes looked sadly at me.

"Hello Elizabeth. I'm Andromeda. I'm...sorry if I startled you." She said, and her voice was like honey. It was only when I heard her speak that I was keenly aware that I was not hearing Bellatrix. In fact, I'm not sure if I would know what Bellatrix sounded like, but I always imagined a gloating, jeering voice. Andromeda's voice was nothing like that. I let out a breath and took a tentative step toward her.

"H-Hi. I'm--I'm sorry, about that. I didn't mean..." I trailed off, not sure exactly how to describe my reaction. Andromeda smiled warmly at me, nodding. "No explanation needed. I understand. Come, I've made pumpkin tarts."

--------------------------------------

Andromeda was not like her sister. Hours later, she, Tonks and myself sat in the common area, smiling and talking about Hogwarts and the fun things it offered.

"I hope you're a Hufflepuff, Lizzie. I know you'll probably get Gryffindor, like your dad. However, I know it would just kill Remus if I could claim you in my house!" Tonks grinned, malevolently.

"Knowing my luck, I'll be in Slytherin." I moped, rolling my eyes. Tonks quickly looked over at her mother, laughing loudly. My eyebrows knit together in confusion as Andromeda chuckled quietly. "Not all Slytherins are bad..." She said, and the pieces of the puzzle came together in my head.

"No...you're not...I'm so sorry! Andromeda, I had no idea!" I said quickly, embarrassment in my voice.

"Quite alright. I suppose You Know Who has given us quite a bad reputation. Did you know Merlin himself was a Slytherin?" She asked, her eye twinkling. I shook my head as Tonks finally stopped laughing.

"My bet is still on Gryffindor, Lizzie. Unless you're more like your mother than we know." Tonks said, wiping her eyes.

"She is. Very much so." Andromeda said, smiling softly at me. I gasped out loud, grabbing Andromeda's hand before I could stop myself.

"You knew her? My mum?!" I asked, squeezing her hand. "What was she like? Remus hardly talks about her at all."

Andromeda smiled with fondness. "She was...incredibly bright. She was a very powerful witch. She was one of the most compassionate and understanding person I knew...She knew of Remus' lycanthropy before anyone else at Hogwarts did, because she was able to piece it all together. She always gave people the benefit of the doubt...even when others didn't. She was a fiercely loyal friend." Andromeda said, and I felt my eyes stinging. I sighed, releasing her hand and sitting back in my chair.

"How...how am I like her?" I asked, in a small voice. Andromeda smiled. "You have her passion. She was just like you, in that aspect. And if what Remus says is true...you do have her particular brand of anger, when the need arises."

I smiled to myself, chuckling. That's what Remus had said just a few days ago. More and more of the puzzle that was my parents was coming together. I was trying so desperately to know them through other peoples' accounts.

"Time for bed, Lizzie. You'll never know what house you'll be in if you miss the train!" Andromeda said, and I nodded, already feeling tired. As I laid down in the spare bedroom and closed my eyes, a woman with reddish brown curls much like mine smiled at me from behind my eyelids.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

30.9K 767 21
How could a Slytherin, and Draco Malfoy of all people, possibly fall for a weak Hufflepuff? And what will he do when he finds out her dark secret? Ye...
10.2K 363 8
When a lower grade on an essay leads an indignant Hermione Granger down a path of foolish choices, she learns that chasing the shadows of the past on...
3.8K 96 13
"Get away from me, you filthy little mudblood" Alicia Morgan has never moved schools before. So, as you can imagine, she's nervous and possibly even...
169 8 13
Draco Malfoy, a Hogwarts student has returned for another year at Hogwarts with a new mission which includes the Muggle-born Witch, Hermione Granger...