Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Into Our Own Hands

1.9K 62 17
By LeeraIvy

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo sat on the edge of her bed, holding the flower Fox had given her a few days before. She had started drying it already, not wanting to wait, fearful that it would spoil too soon. The petals were dry and brittle now, but she sniffed them regardless. The faint scent of a fresh rose clung to them.

    The door hissed open and she set the flower down on one of her nightstands. Mairin cocked an eyebrow and smirked. "Again with the flower?"

    "I've never been given a flower before," Riyo said. She followed Mairin into the closet. Riyo sat down and picked at her nails while Mairin selected an outfit for her.

    "I've seen dozens of people give you flowers," Mair countered.

    "Well, yes, I've been given flowers. What I mean is, no one has given me flowers. They give Senator Chuchi flowers."

    "Ah I see. Don't worry. I won't tell."

    "Liar," Riyo teased. "You've already told Jairo."

    "I won't deny it."

    Riyo thought for a minute. Mairin approached and motioned for her to stand. She obliged and quickly changed outfits. "What's it like, trying to talk to Jairo when he can't reply?"

    "It was strange at first but I like a good challenge. I suppose that's why we still talk. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't seem so odd. He never replies beyond expressions or gestures, but I can usually tell what he's thinking." Mairin began to do up Riyo's hair. "I think I'd like to hear him laugh, just once."

    "It's too bad he can't. I know there's been times that he wanted to."

    "Actually, I think he can laugh and talk. I think he just chooses not to. I don't know why. He's never even let me see his face before."

    "Really?" Riyo glanced over her shoulder. Mairin rolled her eyes and pushed Riyo's head forward again.

    "Yes, really. I've asked him, but he just shook his head. I suppose he'll let me see him in time, especially if we ever take things further. I can respect that for now, though."

    "For someone as immature as you, you're very mature," Riyo grinned.

    "Very funny. You'd better get going. Asha is coming with you to your meeting with Chancellor Palpatine today."

    "Oh, right. It's Jairo and Archer's day here. I forgot." They stepped out of the closet and left the apartments together. Riyo waved goodbye as she headed out towards the landing pads. Mairin went the opposite direction, towards one of the many apartment entrances.

    Asha was already waiting in the speeder. Riyo climbed in beside her and they took off towards the Senate building. "How are you today, my Lady?" Asha asked.

    "I'm all right, and I've told you that you can just call me Riyo," she replied.

    "I know, but etiquette demands otherwise," Asha replied. "I would, but the rules are important to me."

    "I can understand that," Riyo replied. Asha sighed, ever so quietly. "What is it?"

    "Nothing, my Lady. I just wish some of the other handmaidens took them as seriously as I do. I'm afraid that their behavior causes other senators and delegates to give you sideways glances."

    Riyo knew immediately that Asha meant Mairin. The two of them had never gotten along the greatest, although they tried to for her sake. Asha's cool head and caution always seemed to irritate impulsive and impatient Mairin.

    "Well, some of them are bound to do that anyway, simply because of our standings within the Senate, our views, beliefs, and other reasons."

    "I know, but the lack of respect shown by your own maids only increases their contempt for you."

    Riyo furrowed her brows at that. "Just because the other handmaidens act different around me doesn't mean they disrespect me. I can't change how others view me or them. I choose to believe that as long as I am safe and confident among my friends and attendants, I don't need to worry what the others will think. I'll never be able to please everyone anyway, so why try to please them all?" Asha didn't reply.

    They were silent the rest of the way to the meeting. When they at last arrived, Padmé's own speeder was already there. The Naboo senator was waiting for them, along with her protocol droid. Riyo and Asha quickly joined her, then entered the Senate building and headed up to the Chancellor's office.

    The Chancellor's guards let them in as soon as they arrived. Riyo paused within the sitting room. Muffled voices came from within the Chancellor's private office. Padmé approached the door and it opened up, revealing Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker. Riyo noticed her friend's lingering stare on the Jedi as they approached.

    "General Skywalker," Padmé said. "I had no idea you'd be here."

    "I'm sorry, Senators. Anakin's arrival was unexpected and urgent," Chancellor Palpatine replied. He turned to Anakin. "I'm sorry, Anakin. I know how important troops are to you, but we simply can't spare the resources needed to retrieve those men. The Jedi Council is right. A rescue mission is too risky."

    Padmé and Riyo exchanged glances. General Skywalker let out a frustrated sigh. He faced them at last, his gaze going straight to Padmé. "I'm sorry I delayed your meeting. Senator Amidala, I hope we might have some time to catch up later?"

    "Of course, General. It's been far too long." Padmé gave him a soft smile. Anakin bowed to them all, before leaving the room. Riyo and Padmé took their seats as soon as the door hissed shut behind him. Asha and Threepio took their spots close by.

    "Now then, what was it you wanted to speak with me about?" Chancellor Palpatine sat down and folded his hands atop his desk.

    "We wanted to speak with you about the production of clones," Padmé replied. "I know you've heard where we stand within the Senate, but we wanted to share our personal opinions with you, one on one."

    "I'm listening," was all he said in reply.

    "While we cannot let the Separatists gain anymore ground, or win the war, and we cannot spend the Republic's limited funds on more troops," Riyo began. "We simply don't have the means to pay for them. If we proceed with how things have been going, the Republic will be bankrupt long before the war ends."

    "We ask the Kaminoans to create these troops for us. They are born and trained, never getting to experience a childhood. They go from being boys to men in a matter of years. As soon as their training is complete, they're shipped off to a war front. Many of them die on their first day in the field." It seemed that her conversations with Fox, Clay, and Archer had paid off. They did know more than they thought they did. "It seems cruel and unjust to keep creating these men for the war, when there are other ways that we could be fighting."

    "What other ways do you propose?"

    "Peace talks. Bargaining, negotiations," Padmé listed. "The citizens of the Republic go without basic needs because there's no money to pay for them. It all goes into the war. I'm certain that if we met with the right senators, we could secure a path to peace."

    "I admire your idealism, both of you," Chancellor Palpatine sighed, "but what you're suggesting is impossible. We tried to secure peace. Remember, Senator Amidala? With Senator Bonteri? We saw where that landed us. I'm afraid I can't reopen the voting on this matter. The Senate is already decided. It wants more troops for the Republic."

    "What about those troops General Skywalker was talking about?" Riyo prompted. "Why should we spend our money on new troops when we have experienced troopers who are trapped somewhere? We should try to rescue them, not replace them."

    "My dear, the soldiers General Skywalker spoke of are now Separatist captives, being held near Saleucami. There is no way we could rescue them." He shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I want to hear no more of this matter. My own feelings are already divided over it and I can't bear to make you upset with me."

    Riyo and Padmé exchanged glances again, then nodded. "Of course, Chancellor. Thank you for listening to us," Padmé said. They rose and bowed to him, before quickly leaving the room. Asha and Threepio followed them.

    "We can't give up!" Riyo hissed as soon as they were in the hallway. "If the Senate goes through with this, thousands of people will lose things they need to live with. Electricity, water, ways to heat and store their food..."

    "I know." Padmé thought for a moment. An excited look filled her brown eyes. "I've got an idea. What you were saying about the troops, we should rescue them and not replace them. I agree. The Senate might think twice about buying more troops if we can find the ones we already have that are missing."

    "You want to go after those men on Saleucami!" Riyo realized.

    "Us. I want us to do it," Padmé corrected. "From what it sounded like, the Jedi Council forbid someone from going and so did the Chancellor. If a Jedi can't, then we have to. Besides, it would make a bigger statement if two senators rescued those men."

    "It'll be dangerous," Riyo though aloud, "but I would go with you."

    Padme grinned. "Good. I'm going to find General Skywalker and learn all that I can. I'll contact you later when I know more." Riyo nodded as they headed their separate ways.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center
Commander Fox

    Fox grimaced as Far Modem convulsed in his seat again. The shock trooper removed his electro staff from the Neimoidian's side after a moment. Fox let Far have a moment to recover himself.

    He always hated interrogating prisoners, especially when there was a form of torture involved. He would've simply chosen a truth serum method, but Lott Dod himself had asked there to be no such thing. He'd said that if Far withheld information, they should resort to physical violence to make him talk, none of the mental games.

    Far stopped panting and Fox spoke again. "How long were you in contact with the Separatist leaders?" There was no answer. "How many of them did you meet with?" Far stayed silent. "Did you meet with them on any of their occupied planets? Do you know any of their locations?"

    Nothing, nothing, and nothing. Fox knew Far wouldn't talk. The things Count Dooku would do to him if he did were far worse than what the Republic might do. Fox turned away and stepped out of the room. He heard the electro staff hum to life as the door hissed shut.

    Clay was standing outside of the door. Fox pulled off his helmet and rubbed his forehead, already feeling a headache forming. "He's still not talking?" Clay asked.

    "You know he won't."

    "How much longer will you question him?"

    "I'll be stuck questioning him until the day he dies," Fox groaned. "He's never going to tell us anything." He leaned against the wall.

    "These borderline torture interrogations really get to you, don't they?" Fox nodded begrudgingly. "Go. I'll take over for today."

    Fox glanced at his brother, surprised. "Are you sure?"

    Clay nodded. "Go see Senator Chuchi or something."

    Fox straightened and grinned at Clay. "I'll make it up to you sometime."

    "I'll make sure you do," Clay laughed. Fox slipped his helmet back on and wasted no time in leaving the prison.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 75 22
(I Don't OWN Star Wars or Akame Ga Kill) Clone Wars crossover with Akame Ga Kill, THIS IS MY SECOND TIME WRITING THIS(So hopefully this turn out bett...
10.8K 301 27
As Amylin Amidala, a newly promoted Jedi Knight, helps lead the way through the clone wars, the unexpected happens.. and she finds herself debating a...
111K 3.5K 69
Anakin Skywalker could never forget his apprentice, Ahsoka Tano, but the Jedi Order will waste no time mourning the loss of the ex-padawan. With a ne...
9.5K 440 48
For the past several years, Ania Bonteri has lived in seclusion on the planet Mortis, learning to control her new powers. From the planet, she has wa...