Elizabeth Harrison's Hope For...

By symhere

BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for... More

1: Mourning For Mother's Death
2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give
3: The Things She Left For Them
4: His Everyday Life
5: Doctors Are Not Gods
6: An Awkward Interaction
7: Her Savior
8: An Apology And A Slap
9: A Secret To Keep
10: The Pain He Is In
11: Like Mother, Like Daughter
12: Too Drunk To Think
13: The First Kiss
14: A Favor To Ask
15: The Key They Both Didn't Have
16: People Change
17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings
18: Slapped
20: The Kiss They Shared Again
21: Elizabeth's Crush
22: A New Friend, Maybe?
23: The Housewarming Party
24: Just Him And Her
25: The Morning After
26: Breakfast
27: Asked On A Date
28: The Help Fay Needs
29: He Can't Resist Her
30: So Close
31: Screw The Rules
32: Can We Talk?
33: Who Is Mia?
34: I Like You.
35: Don't Be Sorry For How You Feel.
36: Mia And Elizabeth.
37: Suspicion.
38: Date Night.
39: Eliza.
40: In The Name Of Love.
41: A Bloody Night.
42: All Hell Broke Loose.
43: The One They Lost.
44: You Do.
45: Blur.
46: The Funeral.
47: An Unexpected Visitor.
48: The Truth.
49: Lost Her.
50: Moving On.
51: The Complete Truth.
52: Yet You Know.
53: The News.
54: Something To Remember Me By.
55: A Unique Friendship.
56: Leo Is Here.
57: Leo Knows.
58: Drunken Leo.
59: The Cold Night.
60: Leo Meets Fred.
61: The Unexpected Guest.
62: A Surprise Visit.
63: Ice Cream.
64: Elizabeth's Visitor.
65: Tattoos and Realization.
66: Unwanted Interruption.
67: Missing You.
68: Jen's Confession.
69: Wedding Planner.
70: Elizabeth's Realization.
71: Deal.
72: The Unexpected Guest.
73: Bonding.
74: Confession.
75: Jealousy.
76: Pain of the Past.
77: Breakfast And Kisses.
78: Ruby's Gift.
79: The Last One.
Epilogue.

19: Is It Too Hard To Get?

883 35 0
By symhere

It was time to return home from a tensed day at work for Elizabeth. She didn't bring up what she witnessed in the parking lot between Mosa and Fayette, but she was still curious about what had happened that caused Fayette to dislike Mosa and to hit him as well. There was an immense tension between the two of them at work. Mosa wasn't his usual self and Fayette was distant as well – as always. She could even bring herself to ask Mosa what's wrong with him – he looked agitated. Both of them left without saying goodbye to Elizabeth like always and it didn't surprise her. She too wanted to head home, but she couldn't – not yet. She had lied to her new neighbors or if put in more twisted words – her ex-boyfriend and his fiancé that she will not be home to have dinner with them and to ignore them – she can do anything.

There was so much on her mind all day. Freddie and she were in a long-distance relationship for three years – if he had issues with it he could have ended it long before he decided to cheat on her and here – hardly after six months of their breakup – he is engaged. Maybe he always has been with her behind Elizabeth's back, but even if that was it – why did he kept up with Elizabeth and broke her heart into pieces by breaking up with her and cheating on her. She sighed and fisted her hair, "God, I just want to go home and sleep," She mumbled. "Then, why don't you?" She lifted her head to see Ethan standing with a smile on his face. She chuckled, "I have somewhere else to be," she replied tiredly. He nodded, "Is there something I can help you with?" He asked. She smiled and stood up on her feet, "You have already done more than enough, Ethan." Elizabeth told him. "And it was my pleasure," He replied as he placed his hand on his chest.

"So, how is it going at your new apartment? Did you meet any of your neighbors yet?" Ethan questioned. Elizabeth wished she could share how miserable she feels to go back to her much loved new apartment only because of her neighbors – but she knows she can't. Elizabeth pressed her lips together and nodded, "Yes, I met Jennifer this morning – she brought me pancakes," She replied and remember how the pancakes much still are resting on the table in her apartment.

"Oh, yes – Jennifer and Freddie. I met them once I came to see how work was going on at your apartment. They complained about how noisy the workers were being." He told me. "They are husband and wife – I believe?" He tried to recall and almost immediately she corrected him, "Fiancé." She said. She doesn't know why she had an urge to correct him – it was like she didn't like the fact that he called them husband and wife – maybe she isn't completely over Freddie yet. This thought scared her. She can't feel this way. He cheated on her. She can't like him anymore. "Right, they are engaged," Ethan recalled.

Ethan clapped his hands together, "So, when is the housewarming party?" He asked with a grin on his face. She completely forgot about it. She wasn't sure whom to invite if she hosts a house warming party. She doesn't know much people around yet. "I am not sure who to invite really," She told him the truth. "There will be me, Ms. Cohen, Mr. Aseel, Dr. Wayne and maybe your neighbors?" He suggested. That was recipe for disaster. Fayette and Mosa in the same room can cause so much tension around. Leo and Elizabeth are always awkward around each other and she hardly doubts he will come even she invites him and her neighbors? She wanted to laugh at that thought. Their presence will be nothing but painful. She smiled, "Yeah, sure." She nodded and dismissed it. Ethan was going to say something when he was interrupted by the third voice. "Uh, excuse me." Elizabeth and Ethan looked around to see Leo standing a few feet away from them.

"Oh, Dr. Wayne, good to see you here. How is Liam doing now?" Ethan asked. Leo glanced at Elizabeth before he nodded his head who was already looking at him, "He is okay now. He was discharged this morning." He told him. Ethan nodded and smiled, "That's good to know. So, what brings you here?" He asked. Leo glanced at Elizabeth and replied, "Well, I wanted to talk to Elizabeth." He pointed out towards her. Elizabeth knitted my eyebrows as he glanced at her – she wasn't sure what he was talking about. She really hoped that everything was okay because Leo hardly ever talks to her. It had to be something very important. Ethan smiled, "Alright, I will see you tomorrow, Elizabeth. And I will see you at the hospital or at Elizabeth's housewarming party since I will not be coming to the hospital for a few days." He told him before winked at Elizabeth and walked away.

Leo brought his eyebrows together – he obviously doesn't know about the housewarming she was being pressed to host. She smiled as she saw the confused look at Leo's face, "It is nothing. I was actually planning about throwing a housewarming party at my new apartment. He was talking about that." She pointed out. Leo slowly nodded his head and walked nearer. He scratched his neck as he sighed, "So, I wanted to give your money back." He said to her before he took out his wallet from his back pocket. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes, "What money?" She asked. Leo looked at her, "You paid for my coffee this morning, remember?" He reminded her to whom she chuckled, "You don't have to pay me back, Leo. It is okay. Really," She insisted.

Leo sighed, "No – no, it's not." He replied to her. Elizabeth shook her head and chuckled, "You came here to give me $6.35?" She asked amusingly. Leo nodded and shrugged, "Yes, I did." he replied. She tittered, "You are so weird," Leo looked at her and when he didn't laugh she cleared her throat, "Yeah, so – no, really – you don't have to." She told him. "It is not like I spent a fortune on you." She shrugged.

Leo thought about it for few seconds before he nodded his head slowly, "Alright, but I would have felt better if you would let me pay you back," He said. Elizabeth was about to decline again when she realized that she can't go home right away – that way Jennifer and Freddie will know she lied and she also has no place to be. She mashed her lips together and looked at Leo – maybe he can accompany her for an hour or so. She wasn't sure how he will react, but she goes nevertheless, "Uh, I cannot let you pay me in cash." She told him. Leo narrowed his eyes as she continued, "I would love to have ice cream right now," She shrugged.

Leo didn't expect Elizabeth to say that – he wordlessly looked at her. Elizabeth sighed and realized she has to explain to him her situation or else it would very awkward for her. "Okay, so – I can't go home right away. I lied to my neighbors that I was busy after work." She said to him. "And I also have no place to go either. I literally don't know anyone other than you or Ethan and I don't think I can him for any more favor. So, please – if you have time – can we have some ice-cream together?" She asked him.

"What about your colleagues?" Leo asked. "They went back home." She replied short. Leo averted his head and sighed out loud as he thought. Elizabeth smiled and waved her hand dismissively. "You know what? There is a place I can go to – never mind." She chuckled tentatively. She couldn't possibly force him to go with her and he clearly doesn't want to go. Leo wordlessly listened to her. "About the money, please don't bother. It was nothing. Take it as my treat to you for helping me so many times." She added.

She was about to walk past him when he finally spoke, "There is this place – they – uh – they serve delicious hot brownie with ice cream. Uh – would you like to – I don't know – maybe go there?" Leo asked her hesitantly. Elizabeth looked at him and narrowed her eyes, "Are you sure?" She asked. Leo nodded, "Yes." She smiled and nodded her head, "So, are we taking my car or yours?" She asked. "It is actually right around the corner. If you don't mind we could walk to there." Leo shrugged as he had his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

The weather was chilly, but she Elizabeth liked the feeling of crisped wind on her skin. Leo and she walked silently to the ice cream shop – no one said anything to one another. They just silently walked. Elizabeth liked it this way. She could think, but also she was at ease to know that somebody was her. She glanced at Leo to see him slightly limping. She wondered if he was in pain. Just when she was about to ask he looked at her and pointed at the small café, "We are here." He said. Elizabeth looked at from outside – it looked like a small and cozy place. Elizabeth smiled and nodded before she followed him in.

"Oh man, craving for something sweet again?" A young guy grinned when he sees Leo entering. Leo chuckled, "Uh – yes, I brought a friend as well," Leo replied to him and pointed towards Elizabeth who stood behind him and smiled. The boy nodded, "Alright, come on – your usual spot is empty luckily." The guy said and pointed towards the corner table by the window. Leo nodded and talked to the guy while he had his hand on the guy's shoulder while Elizabeth followed them. "Hey, so how about some Fettuccine Alfredo because of your usual dessert?" The guy asked while he had a pen and a notepad in his hands. Elizabeth was hungry – but she wasn't sure if she could have dinner with Leo – she doesn't want to force him to stay longer.

Leo looked at Elizabeth, "Uh – would you like to have dinner as well – if you are hungry?" Leo asked her. "It won't be a problem with you?" She asked. Leo shook his head. Elizabeth smiled, "Fettuccine Alfredo sounds delicious," Elizabeth said to the guy who grinned and looked at Leo, "And for you?" He asked him. Leo after giving a thought replied, "I will have the same." He told him. The guy nodded, "Great! I will bring out your food. Would you like anything to drink as well?" He asked. Leo shook his head and Elizabeth asked for water before the guy walked away.

There was awkward silence between the two of them. Leo silently looked out of the window while Elizabeth looked around. There weren't many people present there. The interior of the café was quite simple. She liked it better than a fancy restaurant where you can't even breathe loud. Elizabeth has a habit of talking over dinner. In her family, most of the important matters were discussed over dinner – nobody had time to spend with family rather than dinner time. She remembers how since her childhood – she always looked after dinner time so she could enjoy some family time, now she has to eat alone – which she doesn't like. She sighed and averted her gaze at Leo – who had his eyes fixed out of the café. "Uh, thank you again for coming here with me." Elizabeth broke the silence.

Leo turned his head to look at her. A ghostly smile appeared on his face, "No problem," He replied short. Once again there was silence and once again Elizabeth had to break it, "Um – listen, I would like to pay for my dinner." She said. Leo licked his lip, "Let me treat you this time – it is for the coffee for paid for today," He replied and once again gazed out. Elizabeth sighed and nodded her head. How stupid and desperate was she to ask him to come with her? It was even awkward than eating alone. Leo behaved like he wasn't even there. Elizabeth hates when there is awkward silence between the diners, "So, uh – how is your leg now?" She asked. Leo sighed, "It is okay," He nodded his head and once again averted his eyes.

Elizabeth decided to give up. She just nodded and looked down. It was useless to try to engage him in a conversation. He was not going to answer her in any way. She leaned back to her chair and picked up her purse to take her phone out – she could just sit and look at him look out of the window. She glanced at him and become furious to see him completely unaffected by the silence or maybe his ignorance of her presence was bothering her. She sniggered that caused him to look at her, "What is it, Leo? Why do you hate me so much? What have I ever done to you?" She could help but ask.

These awkward then and now interactions were really getting to her. She doesn't get it why he was so always so uptight around her. She knows he never liked her family, but Harrisons did realize their mistakes and tried to make things right. Leo sister is once again engaged to Silas – they will be getting married soon – Franklin, Leo's father is okay with them as well, she doesn't get what it is to him that he can't stop hating her and her family. "I never said I hate you," He replied. Elizabeth hated his short and empty replies. She put her hand on the table, "Then, what is it?" She asked frustratingly. Leo was quiet – he lightly shook his head and leaned on his chair before he looked out of the window – again. "What is it?" She pushed him to answer.

Leo twisted his lips and looked at Elizabeth for a few seconds – straight into her eyes. "I don't like your company. Is it so hard for you to get?" He spoke completely unaffected. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 4K 36
{completed} They say opposites attract, the good girl + the bad boy. The grumpy + sunshine. She's intrigued by his eyes, maybe it's because they sha...
5.5M 28.4K 9
{ CURRENTLY REWRITING } With one of the best college grades and her masters degree in hand, Emma Durson's next plan is to move to New York to pursue...
108K 13.7K 50
ALL PARTS WILL BECOME FREE ON JULY 15th - In six months, Gwen Johnston turns thirty, and when she does, she vows she'll have her life together. She'l...
660K 14.6K 57
BOOK THREE OF HARRISON SERIES Maria Wayne left after she was accused and betrayed by the love of her life. No matter how much he apologizes and tries...