Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Traitors Revealed

1.9K 74 28
By LeeraIvy

Cato Neimoidia: 20 BBY
Trade Federation Archives
Commander Fox

Blast it!  Of all times for me to lose awareness! Fox scolded himself inwardly. He crouched down behind a doorway, his blasters at the ready. Guards sprinted towards it. Fox opened fire, stunning them rapidly.

He started running again, farther down the hall. At least Riyo got what she needed. His eyes widened in surprise at himself. He had thought of her as Riyo, not Senator Chuchi. That can't keep happening. She's still a Senator, my superior.

Fox skidded around another corner and bumped into a group of guards. He opened fire and ducked back out of their sights. He stifled a groan as his comm lit up. Fox switched it on as soon as he was able.

"Where are you?" Clay's voice hollered over the comm. "Senator Chuchi just told me you were discovered!"

"We were." Fox poked his head around the corner and took down another guard. "She's on her way to the speeder now. Get to the shuttle as fast as you can. I'll tell you where to meet us when I know."

"Lott Dod and his friends are insisting we stay here. Their excuse is a sudden breach of security."

"I don't care what Lott Dod says. Get Mairin and Jairo out of there before your cover is blown!" Fox switched the comm off before Clay could argue with him. He blasted the last guard and took off running again. I hope she's got that speeder ready!

Cato Neimoidia: 20 BBY
Trade Federation Archives
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo stumbled over her own feet as she dodged around a corner. A shot narrowly missed her. She kept running, despite the burning in her chest. Footsteps clattered behind her, growing ever closer.

    At last, she reached the platform where they'd parked the speeder. She put on a final burst of speed and leaped through the door. Riyo hit the ground and rolled back onto her knees. She scrambled towards the door's control panel and swiftly jammed the door shut.

    Fists slammed into the back of it. She was already up and jumping into the speeder. Riyo fired up the engines and took off, trying to calm the racing of her heart. She activated her wrist comm again. "Fox, where are you?"

    "I'm..." he broke off for a second. "Down two levels and go to the second landing platform," he replied. "Hurry."

    The comm switched off again. "I'm going as fast as I can," she muttered. Riyo obeyed his orders, though, soaring down to the appointed platform. She had barely touched down when the door hissed open and Fox barreled through it.

    He leaped into the speeder, still firing at the Neimoidians. Riyo took off again and turned them towards Lott Dod's apartment buildings. Fox collapsed against his seat, breathing heavily. He pulled the helmet off and tossed it into the back seat of the speeder.

    "Did Clay contact you? I told him what happened," Riyo said.

    Fox nodded. "I told them to get to the shuttle and meet us somewhere. I guess we'll see if that happens." He braced a hand on the side of the speeder as it suddenly rocked.

    Riyo risked a glance over her shoulder. Neimoidians were behind them in speeders of their own. She let out an exasperated groan and increased their speed. The Neimoidians kept firing. She deftly dodged between the shots.

    Fox twisted in his seat and blasted at the drivers. He hit a few, sending their speeders careening into the city below. "Someone really doesn't want you to get out of here alive," he growled.

    "I noticed."

The speeder rocked again, harder than before. Alarms began to blare as they lost power. Riyo pulled against the steering toggle, to no avail. Fox's eyes widened in horror.

"Hang on!" He shouted. He rolled over into the back seat and pulled her back with him. Riyo shook with fear as the speeder plummeted down. Smoke trailed from behind them. The Neimoidians kept firing.

Fox hugged her to his chest tightly as they collided with the ground. Riyo felt them being flung from the speeder. Metal shrieked and crumpled around them. They hit the ground hard. Riyo gasped as the breath was knocked out of her lungs. Fox coughed beside her, pushing himself to his hands and knees.

The Neimoidian speeders were closing in on them. "Are...you all right?" Fox panted. He crawled over to her and checked her for injuries.

"I'm fine." Her voice shook just as much as her body. Fox opened his mouth to speak, but the roar of engines cut him off. He grabbed his blasters instead and moved in front of her.

"Surrender to us now or face the consequences," one of the Neimoidians sneered as they jumped out of their speeders.

"She is a handmaiden to Senator Chuchi. If you harm her, I doubt the Senator will remember to speak kindly of you when you're turned over to the Republic!" Fox shot back.

"We don't care what Chuchi says to the Republic. She'll have no proof once we kill the two of you." They pulled their blasters out and took aim.

Riyo cast a glance around the platform they'd crashed on. The smoking wreckage of the speeder was closest. She grabbed Fox's arm and pulled him behind it, just as the Neimoidians opened fire. Fox leaned over the speeder and fired back.

"I hope the others get here soon!" Fox groaned.

"Their leader is Far Modem, the one from the message," Riyo noted.

"I know. Keep your head down."

He gasped suddenly and grabbed her arm. They leaped away from the speeder just as it exploded into nothing but shrapnel. Riyo stifled a cry as bits of it sliced her arms. Fox kept firing at Far and his men.

Fox convulsed as a stun ray blasted him. He collapsed to the ground, unconscious. Riyo leaned over him and shook him desperately. He didn't wake up. The Neimoidians began to close in around them.

Riyo bared her teeth and grabbed Fox's discarded blasters. She leaned over him and fired at the Neimoidians. "Get away from us!"

They broke off their shots as engines roared overhead. The shuttle appeared, along with two Trade Federation speeders. All three began to land. Riyo jumped at the distraction.

She raced across the platform and tackled Far Modem to the ground. He gave a cry of surprise, his blaster flying from his grip. Riyo pushed her blaster against his temple. He quit struggling quickly.

Lott Dod and several other officials were the first out of the speeders. The shuttle ramp hissed open and Clay, Archer, Jairo, and Mairin raced out. "What is the meaning of this?" Lott Dod demanded.

Riyo quickly thought up an accent to disguise her voice. "He is unconscious." She jerked a head back towards Fox. Clay nodded and moved over to his side, checking him over. Riyo forced Far to his feet. "We were in the Senator's chambers when we overheard someone talking about a possible assassination attempt while she was here. The two of us decided to investigate."

"And?" Lott Dod prompted.

"We were right. They were planning an assassination attempt on Senator Chuchi. In addition to that, they had a recorded message on them, where they planned the initial attempts with Count Dooku!"

"That's preposterous!" Lott Dod protested.

"I have proof." Riyo pulled the holodisk out of her pocket. Lott Dod moved to grab it. She pulled it away and hid it again. "You have some explaining to do."

"I had nothing to do with the attacks! You must believe me!" He protested.

"Convince Senator Chuchi, not me."

Lott Dod's face fell briefly. "Perhaps we should return to my home and discuss this, before anything is done."

"Yes, perhaps," Mairin replied. They all climbed into their transports and quickly left the platform. Fox was awake when they left. Riyo let out a sigh of relief.

Cato Neimoidia: 20 BBY
Lott Dod's Apartments
Commander Fox

Fox joined Clay towards the back of the shuttle, allowing him to check his injuries further. "It's nothing serious," Clay said finally. "You two got lucky."

"Do you know what happened after I was shot?" Fox asked.

Clay glanced towards the front of the shuttle, to Riyo. "She protected you."

"What?" His mouth fell open in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said. She took your blasters and protected you. Here." Clay turned to the monitors beside him and quickly pulled up the surveillance system. Fox watched the few minutes of it in silence.

I can't believe it, he thought to himself. Clay enhanced the view of the monitor. Fox found himself watching Riyo's face. The recording showed Mairin's facial structure, but he could picture Riyo making the same face. Clay switched the recording off and they rejoined the others in the front of the shuttle.

They soon reached Lott Dod's apartments. The shuttle landed and Clay and Archer escorted Far Modem off. Jairo and Mairin quickly followed. Fox pulled Riyo aside before she had the chance.

"What is it?" She asked. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." It was a day for surprises, apparently. He found himself surprised by the genuine concern in her gaze. "Thank you, for protecting me."

"I had to."

He shook his head. "No, you didn't. You could have gotten yourself to safety, but you stayed with me."

"Well," she looked down. "You saved my life a few times already. It was the least I could do." She met his gaze finally. He held it for a heartbeat too long. Her cheeks flushed and she ducked out of the shuttle. Fox took a minute to collect himself before following.

The others were already in a meeting room when they arrived. Far Modem was bound in wrist binders and was seated beside Lott Dod. "Let's see this message," Lott Dod sighed.

Riyo pulled the holodisk out of her pocket and switched it on. The hologram began playing. Far's expression shifted into one of dismay as he watched. "This is troubling," Mairin said with Riyo's voice. "I must take this to Chancellor Palpatine at once."

"No!" Lott Dod exclaimed. "Surely there's no need for that, Senator?"

"No need? This man was behind the attacks on my life!" Mairin exclaimed. She pointed an accusing finger at Far. "The Chancellor's committee may not see that as a serious crime, but I do. I almost see your reluctance to reveal the truth as a sign that you are also a conspirator!"

"I am innocent," Lott Dod protested.

"Then you must prove it! I am taking this to the Senate. You can stand beside me in my claims, or you can stand against me and incriminate yourself." Mairin folded her hands and fixed a piercing stare on the Senator.

He bowed his head at last and sighed. "Very well. I will do this to prove my own innocence."

"We will leave for Coruscant at once. I won't stay here. I don't feel safe," Mairin added. She stood and grabbed the holodisk off the table. "And Senator, Far Modem must be present as well."

"Yes, I know," Lott Dod growled.

Fox and Riyo followed Mairin out of the room, with Clay, Archer, and Jairo right behind them. Fox's gaze slid towards Riyo. She was smiling. A true, genuine smile. He hadn't seen her smile like that since he'd begun his mission. It suited her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 3.4K 200
Immediately following the events of The Last Jedi, the battle for the galaxy continues between the First Order and the last of the Resistance. As the...
382 9 5
- Y/n, an ex-Sith become Jedi, and Rex, a Captain in the Grand Army of the Republic. How can a relationship like theirs work? Yet alone work on the b...
11.1K 190 31
Some Ahsoka and her family one shots, I like to use the AU where order 66 didn't happen and Anakin didn't turn. Lots of fluff and platonic cuddles :...
4K 58 10
NOTE: For the sake of this story and its timeline I have extended the Clone Wars by about five years or so but the EXACT number of added years is unk...