The Other Side Of Marriage

由 LizK_09

Liz is a young woman with a dream job, a great family and a wonderful husband. Life couldn't get any better t... 更多

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34: Epilogue

Chapter 31

3.4K 103 18
由 LizK_09

2 years later

Six months went by in a blur and I became the permanent CEO. Will became the managing director after a few months of training from yours truly and I was happy. My two years have come to an end, my contract has come to an end and in a day, I will be going back home. I am counting every second because I haven't seen my family in ages. I haven't seen my friends in ages, Laura came to visit a year ago but afterward it was just me. I can't wait to go visit my brothers so we watch movies and eat junk food just so we regret it the following day. I am busy packing my bags and Layla just left after helping me with packing.

I have already bid farewell to my colleagues at the company yesterday and they are probably looking for a new CEO at the moment. After the whole fiasco with Parker, we never heard anything from him. I have to report to HQ in a week so I have a few days all to myself and hopefully make another trip to New York and back. I had dinner with the Walters one last time before I went back to the states and went to bed exhausted.

The following day I took my flight back home. I couldn't wait to see my friends again. I did not tell them the exact date that I will be coming, all they know is that I will be going back this week. Katie helped me out with the whole process of buying the house and I now own a house so I am excited. I have a place to call home now. I arrived at LAX around 9 pm. I was exhausted but I was happy to be home. I called a cab that took me straight to the beach house. The last time I was here, I was staying at a friend's house and now I own it. I went straight into my room, showered, and slept. I was tired so it didn't take a while for me to get to dreamland.

The next morning I freshened up and gave Katie a call that I was back. We agreed to meet for lunch at Linda's. I couldn't reach Erastus though, his phone kept going back to voicemail and I didn't try calling Rose. I just didn't want to bother her. Maybe they have plans already, it's not like she and I have become friends after the wedding or anything.

We talk, if she needs something or if I can't reach Erastus from time to time, I do call her, but nothing else. I didn't want to become a nuisance, so I kept my phone calls few and I guess she did the same. I went to the kitchen, I needed some coffee. I sat on the counter with a mug in my hand, listening to the sound of the waves when a very drunk Erastus walked into the kitchen. He had a bottle of beer in his hands this early in the morning.

"Don't you think it's too early to be drinking?" I asked and he looked up. He looked so surprised, I mean it's not like he knew I would be back.

"You are back," he said more like a question than a statement.

"Yes. I am back. Surprise!" I said sarcastically.

He sat on one of the stools and remained silent. I had too many questions to ask, but I don't think he was sober enough to answer them.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I needed peace," he said like it was the perfect explanation.

"Did you find it? You look like you have been drunk for days. When was the last time you went to work? Do you even know what day it is?" I asked.

He just shrugged and didn't answer. I took the beer from him. And gave him a cup of coffee. I looked in the fridge to find him something to eat, just to find it filled up with cans of beer. I wish he was sober enough so I kick his a**, but he wasn't. I mean, I thought he was always better at handling all the crap life throws to people from time to time but I guess I was wrong. I was so disappointing to see him like that.

"You need to freshen up, get some sleep. We are going to have a conversation when I come back. I am going grocery shopping and I would appreciate it if I don't find the fridge full of beer. When was the last time you ate?" I asked.

"I don't remember," he said.
I just grabbed my purse and left the house. I don't know what was going on and I had no idea why I was angry either. Maybe I was pissed that something was up and I didn't know anything about it. I reached the store and picked this and that without really paying attention. I was uneasy, I wanted to know what was going on but the only person I could ask was in no condition to tell me.
I was walking towards the ice cream section, but my mind was so far away until I bumped into someone.
"I am sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." I apologized immediately without looking at the person.

"Liz?" she said.

I looked up and found out it was Suzanne. Blast from the past I guess.

"Suzanne," I said.

"You look good. How have you been?" she asked.

"As you can see, I have been doing just fine. How about you?" I asked. I was surprised that I could put on a conversation with Suzanne and not strangle her. I guess I did move on.

"I am doing good as well. Look I am sorry for everything I have done to you and all the pain I caused you. I know it's too late and you have already lost everything, but I am sorry. I know what you have been through and I understand the pain I caused you. Losing my 1-year-old daughter recently made me realize all the pain I caused you. If you can find it in you, please forgive me." She said.

She was being sincere and I knew she meant the apology but she was right about one thing, it was late.
"It's alright Suzanne, I have moved on. Just know that the pain you are feeling right now, it gets better." I said.

"Thank you," she said.

I walked past her and went to get my ice-cream. Ice-cream gets me through everything, so I make sure I always have it. I spent a little over an hour at the store and then went home. I couldn't find Erastus anywhere so I guess he was asleep. He removed the beer from the fridge, but they were still in the kitchen, so I threw them out.
Do I cook? I asked myself. No. I will just bring him something from Linda's instead. Time flew by and I drove to Linda's to meet up with Katie. She was already inside when I got there so I didn't waste time as well. I gave her a big hug and we sat down.

"You look good. Did you cut your hair?" she asked.

"Yes. I just wanted to try something new. So how has everything been?" I asked.

"Everything has been going well, Jason and I just came back from our second honeymoon so everything is going well. How about you? You met someone yet?" she asked.

"No. Being CEO is a lot of work. I didn't have time. Any idea what is happening with Erastus?" I asked.

"What is wrong with him? What are you talking about?" she asked.

"I found him drunk in my house this morning. I don't know for how long he has been staying there." I said.

"Well no, I don't know anything. Plus, he is your closest friend, not mine," she said.

"I know. It just that it's been a while that I have seen him that down. Like he hit rock bottom. Anyway, I didn't come here to talk about that." I said.

"So, you are coming from being a CEO back to Managing director, are you a little disappointed?" she asked.

"Not really. Maybe because I had a great salary being CEO, but I am not disappointed at all. I am just excited and grateful that I got the opportunity to run Capricorn." I said.

"You have to come over for dinner at our new place this Friday. I am sure Jason would love to have you over as well," she suggested.

"I would love that. I love your house, from the pictures you sent me and now I get to see it. I wouldn't miss it." I replied.

"By the way, Jason is opening up a new club in Beverly Hills, the official opening is this Saturday and you have to come. I am not even asking," she said.

"I will try, but a club is not my scene," I said.

"Come on, you have to make it your scene. It's going to be fun and you might just meet someone," she said.

"I will come, but not meet someone. I am not looking for anything or anyone at the moment." I said.

"Liz, you will get old soon and you will end up all alone," she said.

"That was positive of you, friend. Thanks." I said sarcastically earning a laugh from her.

We continued to chat when enjoying our lunch. It was more about catching up. We went separate ways afterwards and I went home. I thought that I would have peace in my house, but no, my best friend just happens to be crashing at my place for I don't know how long and no I idea why. I parked my car and headed inside.

I found Erastus seated on the couch, with my ice-cream tub sprawled on his lap. As much as I wanted to complain about my ice-cream I didn't have the energy to. He looked better than he did in the morning.

"You might want to grab a spoon before I finish it," he said.

"You will go get the spoon," I said removing my heels and sitting next to him. I took the spoon and tub from him and pretend like I didn't see the scowl on his face. He got a spoon and returned to the living room. I focused on my ice-cream waiting for him to start the conversation.

"So, when are you going back to work," he asked.

"Next week Monday, can't wait. When are you going back to work? Do you even still have a job?" I said.

"I do have a job. I am on leave, just trying to get away from everything," he replied.

"Does everything also include your wife? I asked.

"The list starts with her. We are going through a rough patch right now that I just thought maybe space is what we needed," he said.

"Trouble in paradise already? I thought you guys went for a vacation a few months ago?" I asked.

"We did, that was another attempt to work on our marriage but it didn't make any difference," he said.

"I see. How about we rewind a bit, how did you end up here? What happened?" I asked.

"She wants a child. She doesn't just want it, she is obsessed with having a child. After trying for a few months and she still didn't get pregnant, she just started getting bitter. I never even told her that I wanted a child, she is just pressuring herself over something that is not an issue and whenever I tell her that, she gets angry and we argue." he said.

"That's bad. Can't you guys just talk it out? I mean, for all the time you have been here, did you even call her once?" I asked.

"Call her and say what exactly? It will just end in another argument and last time we argued, she kicked me out of my own house," he said.

"Oh, okay," I said trying my best not to laugh.

"I didn't call, she didn't call, so everything is fine. I feel like I failed to make her happy but she didn't make it easy for me to do so either. The first year of our marriage was just fine, but this year, it's just been hell." he said.

"I am sorry about that. I still don't understand why she would kick you out." I said.

"To her, I always take your side. How the argument ended up being about you, I have no idea. All I know is we were having our usual argument of how she feels like a failure for not giving me a child, which I never even asked for when she just let something bad slip out of her mouth. Turns out she can't stand the idea of not having a child when you were able to get pregnant even though he did not make it. After pointing out that she wanted a child for the wrong reasons, she got furious and kicked me out. I never take her side as a husband should. I wasn't planning on staying anyway so she did me a favor." he said.

"So that's how you ended up going on leave, buying out all the beer in some stores and drunk in my house?" I asked.

"Looks that way. Anyway, it's not like I broke in, I still have the key," he said.

"You will be handing over those keys when you leave Mister," I said.

"I will, but I don't think I will be going anywhere anytime soon," he said.

"Then we need to discuss your rent situation right now," I told him.

"In your dreams."

"I just don't understand why you didn't tell me about all of this? We used to talk from time to time." I asked.

"You were so far away and you had a company to run. I didn't want to worry you about something that you clearly couldn't do anything about," he said.

"You have a point, but I am here now and we need to think of something to help you all solve your differences," I said.

"Is it even worth it? Like you once said, sometimes it's better to know when to walk away," he said.

"So you are just going to let all those years together go to waste just because of a misunderstanding? I get that if she said that to my face I would have probably punched her but I don't want to be caught up in your drama, plus the last thing I want is for her to think I am the reason you aren't trying to make things better with her."I said.

"Why would she think it's your fault?" he asked.

"Because we all need someone to blame for our problems and I just happen to be her least favorite person in the world. Imagine what will happen if she decides to come looking for you just to find me here with you." I said.

"Is our friendship the problem in my marriage?" he asked.

"I don't know. Is it? I know I have always been a threat to Rose, but back in high school, girls just used to date you so they get the girlfriend title and rub it in my face that I am just a friend. Little did they know that I am still here and they are all kicked to the curb." I said.

He laughed. "Is that jealousy I am hearing Liz?" he asked.

I scoffed. "Please, don't flatter yourself. All I am trying to say is that if it comes to a point where you have to give up this friendship to save your marriage, you have to do it." I said.

"Bullshit. Our friendship has nothing to do with my marriage going downhill. You are my family and it's just not happening." he retorted.

"Exactly, I am family, and if you think I am going to sit back and let your marriage fall apart when I could walk away and save it, you can't be more wrong," I told him.

"What makes you think it's your fault? You were not even here when things started falling apart, you were in London. Do you think you walking away will make all our problems go away?" he asked.

"I don't know, but is Rose going to be happy when I am no longer a part of your life, maybe," I said.

"Liz, are you even listening to yourself? You asked me if I was going to let all the years I was together with Rose go to waste. I will also not let all the years of our friendship go to waste." he replied.

"I appreciate that, but the person you are married to is supposed to be your partner for life like they come first." I tried to reason.

"We didn't make it this far just so you walk away. A spouse can file for divorce whenever they want but friends are for life. Did you think of what would happen if you walk away and we still don't work our differences out? Then what? I lose everything? Are you saying that if you were to meet someone you like and isn't so fond of me or our friendship, you would just kick me to the curb?" he asked.

"Now that you put it that, it's just messed up. I would never do that. I didn't do that even when I was married." I replied.

"So why suggest that when my marriage is concerned?" he asked.

"I was just trying to find a way to help you. If there is a chance to save your marriage, wouldn't you be able to do anything and everything possible?" I asked.

"I would, but if it means me losing my friends that have always been there then it's better if it just comes to an end. Can we just not talk about this right now, because it will not get to choosing. If it does then we all know who I will choose." he said and walks to his room.
He took the ice-cream with him. Great!

An hour later I was in the kitchen cooking dinner. I didn't want to cook, but I just wanted to keep myself busy since my non-rent paying housemate decided to lock himself in his room with my ice-cream.
Maybe not lock himself in his room, but he didn't come out for two and a half hours.

I was done with the salad and chicken an hour later and I went to take shower. I was just starting to dry my hair when the doorbell rang. I continued to dry my hair hoping Erastus will go see who it is. It rang again so I grabbed the first dress I could find and went to open the door. To my surprise, it was my very own sister-in-law, Rose.
"You?" she asked.

"Hello to you too. Would you like to come in?" I asked.

"Yes, thank you. I didn't know you were back," she said.

"I am, came back yesterday," I confirmed.

"Is my husband in? " she asked.

"I believe so, check his room. Would you like to stay for dinner?" I asked.

"Depends. Which one is his room?" she asked.

"Second on your left," I told her.

"So he doesn't even stay in the master bedroom in his own house. Wow, Liz, you are next level," she said.

"What are you implying exactly? I get the master bedroom in my house. Didn't your dear husband tell that he sold the house?" I asked.

"He did. I just didn't know it was you who bought it. Are you the reason he didn't try to contact me for the last few days? You thought just because we were apart, you will take advantage and show up unannounced and fill his head with nonsense?" she asked.

" Oh goodness, you never change, do you? First of all, I had no idea what was going on, I came home to surprise Katie but I got surprised instead when I found Erastus drunk in my house. He is a grown man who makes his own decisions and if you have a problem he didn't call you, why don't you go talk to him about it. I know better than to come between a married couple so next time, choose your words carefully, or I will not think twice before kicking you out of my house." I tell her.

"You want me out of your house, I will leave, but I am taking my husband with me. I don't trust you being around him all the time," she said.

"Oh please, like I care what you think of me. I have a question though, what is your problem with me?" I asked.

"My problem with you? I don't have a problem with you, but I have a problem with you being around my husband. Who knows, you might just make a move on him while he is drunk. You never know when to walk away, do you? He is married now, he doesn't need his so-called best friend who just happens to be his family. I am his family now but I still don't know what you are still doing in his life? You are a divorcee, I doubt he will even take a second look at you and even pretend to be interested." she said.

"You are delusional. So what if he is married? I was friends with him when I was married. Look, sweetheart, I am a friend, but at least I know my place in his life and my position is permanent. I can't say the same about yours though, I mean all it takes is a signature on divorce papers and you will be a divorcee as well. So if I were you, I would learn when to speak and when to shut that mouth of yours. I wonder who can survive with such a toxic person like you for a long time? I think the problem with you is that you are insecure, you are afraid that the longer I am in his life, one day I will snatch him from you and you will not be able to do anything about it. Like you have known him for around 6 years but as for me, our history goes way back over 15 years. You are looking in the wrong direction though, because what if he is the one that decides to leave you for someone else when you have all your time and invested in making sure that I am not anywhere near him? You are so invested in having a child just so you can prove a point but you are missing the whole point. Happiness. Are you happy? Is he happy? You are just too busy hating me that you do not even have time to just live your life, enjoy your time with your husband and just make the most of your time. You are so bitter always trying to save your relationship when it doesn't even need saving! For so long I have let you say whatever you want to me, insulting me, mocking me, mocking my marriage and miscarriage, but not anymore. I have let it slide numerous time because I didn't want him to be stuck between you and I. I am so sick of it and so sick of you going on and on about me. How about you focus more on working on yourself and your marriage then we can talk." I told her.

"My marriage is going to be alright. You are the one trying to ruin it." she accused.

"Oh really? Am I also the reason your cat died when you were in third grade? Am I the reason your car run out of gas last week? I am to blame for all the bad things that happened in your life, I know that. You have said it so many times that it's glued in my mind. I think you are just a coward. You can't face your shit like a woman and solve them, you are blaming someone else for all your problems. Sweetheart, until when are you going to believe that I am up against you? All of that is just in your head and the faster you make peace with that, the earlier you get to work on your insecurities. Or you can just continue blaming me for the rest of your miserable life and by the time you open your eyes, you would have nobody by your side. Nobody." I tell her.

I guess what I said hit a nerve because she launched at me but Erastus got between us.
"What is the matter with you two? Was there ever a day you two talked and finished without getting physical?" he asked.

"She started it. Can't you see that she is just trying to get between us by turning us against each other?" Rose said.

"Oh please, as I said, it's all in that pretty head of yours," I replied.

"In case you all did not know, you were shouting so I heard everything and the last thing I want to do is play peacekeeper between you two because that's an impossible task. Liz, do you mind giving us a minute so we talk? " he asked.

"Not at all. I am going to buy my ice-cream since you ate the other one. Rose, I hope you will stay for dinner." I said grabbing Erastus' car keys and left.
Not before hearing Rose snort but I didn't care.

It took fifteen minutes to the supermarket and fifteen minutes to come back but Rose's car was still in the driveway so I went to the beach instead. It's been a while since I have been here, and I found so many beer cans at my spot and it only meant one thing. I put all of them in the nearest bit and called Laura. She picked up after the first ring.

"Hey, mom. I didn't know you were back." she started.

"Hi, love. I planned on surprising you but I wanted to know how you were doing."I told her.

" I am doing well mom. How are you doing?" she asked.

" I am alright. How is everything going? "I asked her.

" I think dad has a girlfriend." she blurted out.

"Are you sure? That's a good thing right?" I asked.

"No, it's not. I don't like her and dad promised me that it's just going to be him and I after you left. Now, there is this lady who is so fake and applies way too much make-up." she said.

"Laura, are you jealous of your father?" I asked trying so hard not to laugh.

"Of course not, I can't be jealous because of her. It's just that he promised me but he did not keep his words. I mean what was I thinking believing him when he couldn't even keep his promises to you?" she said.

"Laura, that's no way to talk about your father. You have to let go of the past, it's long gone now and you believed him because he is your father and to him, you will always come first. I am pretty sure if it came to choosing between you and the girlfriend, then you will be his choice in a heartbeat. You can't be mad at your father, if she makes him happy then give her the benefit of the doubt." I told her.

"I don't want a stepmother, I already have two moms. What about you mom, are you happy?" she asked.

"Of course I am. Happiness is a choice child, and I made that choice a long time ago. You should not be too quick to judge though, for a 15-year-old, you are just something else." I said.

"Fine mom, but I still have to sabotage his date, because he wouldn't let me go on a date," she said.

"On a date with who?" I asked.

"With Caleb, he is a year ahead of me in school and is on the football team," she replied.

"Please tell me it's not like in one of those movies where the popular footballer is going out with the popular yet mean cheerleader," I said.

"Mom, that's not the point right now plus I am not a mean cheerleader," she said.

"Right, sorry. Laura Grace Danielson, don't you think you are too young to be going on a date?" I asked.

"You sound just like dad and no, I am fifteen. You told me the same thing two years ago when Lee asked me out on a date" she said.

"First of all, you are fifteen, and that's very young, and secondly, and I will be damned if you think I will let my thirteen years old daughter go on a date with someone who is six years old than her. Plus Lee wasn't even serious."

"Fine mom. So I just have to wait until I am thirty?" she asked.

"Maybe. Laura, you just have to understand that you are way too young to be even thinking about going on a date. How about we make a deal." I said.

"If it's going to turn out in my favor, then I am listening," she said.

"How about I meet this boy, then maybe I will consider it. No promises though." I told her.

"Yes! Okay, I will talk to him. Will dad agree for me to go out though?" she asked.

"How about I talk to your father about this, but after I meet him. What is his name again?" I asked.

"Caleb," she replied.

"Okay. Can I meet his parents as well?" I asked.

"Mom come on, how about you don't ask that, and that way you get to keep your title as the world's coolest mom?" she said.

"I am cool, but I still need to know who my daughter is going out, just to make sure you come back in one piece," I told her.

"Alright, mom. I have to go. Looks like dad and Diane are here." she said.

"Diane?" I asked.

"Yes, dad's girlfriend."

"Right. Take care."I said and she hung up. Kids do grow up fast, not too many years ago she used to throw tantrums for the whole day, and now she is talking about going on a date.

I went into the house and Rose was nowhere to be seen. Erastus was seated in the living room.

"Hey. Everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes and no. It's like every single time we talk, things get worse," he said.

"Are we talking about this right now, over dinner or after dinner? I am hungry." I said.

"How about dinner and no talking. I messed up big time and I know you are just going to blame me and ask me to go after her," he said.

"What happened to no talking? I asked trying to lighten up the mood.

"If I don't tell you right now, I will not ever. I will go in my room and only come out for beer or food for the next few days," he said.

I sat down because it looked like it was serious. "Lay it on me," I said.

"She cheated," he said.

"No way. Come on it's Rose we are talking about here, she doesn't just love you, she is obsessed with you." I said.

"That was my reaction as well, and I don't believe her. She came today just tell me that she slept with someone else about two months ago trying to figure out if she was the problem why she wasn't getting pregnant or was it me," he said.

"I don't believe it. Not even one bit. So I am guessing she is the problem since she isn't pregnant?" I asked.

"Turns out she can't have kids and she thinks that I will never forgive her for cheating so she is sending the divorce papers soon," he told me.

"Did you try to stop her at all, or tell her that you don't mind that she did what she did? I mean you don't mind right?" I asked.

"I don't know. I am still wrapping my head around everything. I mean we could've gone to the doctor and done a fertility test, but she had an even better idea. I love her, I do and I am not mad that she cheated, I am mad that she is willing to do anything just to prove that she can have a child. A child can even be adopted, but no, she just doesn't think straight when a child is involved." he said.

"I don't know what to say right now. I don't even know what you are going through. I mean are you two just going separate ways or are you going to get her back?" I asked.

"She is done with this relationship so I seriously can't fight for marriage and a relationship she doesn't acknowledge. I am the world's biggest idiot, my wife cheats on me and then files for divorce, she got a job offer in New York and it just so happens that when she was house hunting, my childhood home is on the market and she bought it. So while I was here sulking about our relationship, missing work, and drinking way too much beer, she was busy planning her way out. You want to know what her justification is, that she is freeing me so I can be with you. Like hell, I don't even look at you in that manner. I hate the fact that our marriage is coming to an end and it's on her terms and she made all of the decisions." he said.

"Wow, that's messed up. Will you fight back or will you just let everything happen the way she wants it to happen?" I asked.

"I already talked to my lawyer, she can't get any of my assets either way so I am just going to let her go. Maybe she will be happy. Jack will come to LA next week and I want him to handle it." he said.

"I am sorry about all of this," I said.

"It's all good, I mean this has happened my whole life. Every person I have ever loved left me. At some point they all do." he said followed by an angry laugh.

"Don't say such thing. Maybe things were meant to be this way." I said.

At that very moment, my phone rang and it was the boss calling. I sighed. I thought I wasn't expected back at the office until next week.

"Good evening Ms. Brown. How are you doing." Mr. Kingman started after my so not audible Hello

"Evening Sir. I am doing good, how about you." I asked.

"All good. I heard you are back in LA. How about you come by so we talk about your job tomorrow?" he asked.

"Of course Sir. What time should I come in?" I asked.

"Come in in the morning, I will not be around after lunch," he replied.

"Noted Mr. Kingman. I will be there around 8." I said and hung up. Shoot! What did I do now? Mr. Kingman never calls anyone, it's always Christelle, his assistant that handles all of that.

"Why are you so nervous?" Erastus asked.

"I am not nervous, I am just restless," I replied.

"Liz, you tap your foot and you play with your hair when you are nervous. Try again," he said.

"My boss wants to see me tomorrow, I don't know why. I am nervous because I don't know why. What if my job is no longer available, what if I am getting fired? Job hunting is not easy." I whined.

"Would you calm down? You will have all your answers to all your questions tomorrow so please stop pacing around, it's making me dizzy," he said.

"Easy to say when you aren't the one getting sacked tomorrow. Can we eat now? I am hungry." I said.

"Fine. Come on, you will not get fired, you just got back from being CEO, I am pretty sure you are an asset to the company if they wanted you back at HQ, so can you serve me now?" he asked.

"Serve you? You know where the plates are and everything else. I am pretty sure you know where I am headed." I said.
We ate dinner in silence and I went to bed afterward, but I couldn't sleep so I ended up watching The big bang theory till midnight.

The following day I woke up around 7 and I was late. It's a thirty minutes drive to the company from the beach house and I cannot get ready in thirty minutes. I tried though and I was done in forty minutes.
I rushed to the kitchen and lucky enough Erastus was there and coffee was ready. I grabbed a cup to go just to get to the living room and I cannot find my car keys. I grabbed the first I could find and drove off. At exactly 8 am, I was in the company's lobby.

I made my way to the 50th floor and I felt like the elevator was slower than usual.

"Morning Christelle." I greeted her as I reached her desk.

"Morning Ms. Brown, Mr. Kingman is expecting you so go right ahead," she said.

"Thank you," I said and made my way to the office.
I took a deep breath and knocked. I entered and the boss was seated behind his desk in a dark Armani suit.

"Ms. Brown, I see you made it. Have a seat," he said.

"Thank you. I apologize for being late Mr. Kingman." I started.

"Firstly, let me congratulate you on a job well done running Capricorn for the last two years. The financials are looking very good, even better than this company did when it first started. Your work is commendable." he said.

"Thank you. It's you I have to thank for taking a chance on me." I said.

"I know a leader when I see one. Anyway, I called you here because I am stepping down as CEO, I am not young anymore and I just want to go home and rest," he said.

"Well, I see. You do look you still got a few years in you to run the business." but said.

"Maybe, but I have given half of my life to this company, my whole youth was filled with board meetings after board meetings. I want you to take over as CEO." he said.

I don't know if I heard him correctly soy eyes widened and my mouth was open with absolutely no idea what to say.

"If I heard you well, you said you wanted me to become the new CEO, but Sir, this is a family business, can an outsider run it? What about Aiden and Andrea?" I asked. Aiden and Andrea are his kids. 26 years old twins.

"Yes, it's a family business and it has been passed on from father to son for ages. My kids, on the other hand, want to do different things with their lives and I can't force them. Aiden wants to make it on his own and Andrea wants to be a fashion designer. Then there's you, you know this business top to bottom and I know I will leave it in good hands." he said.

"Wow, this is overwhelming. This company has never been run by a woman before, will the board agree?" I asked.

"That is not true, you have run it for the past two years and I will handle the board. Maybe it's time for a change, and to me, you are what this company needs. I sent you to London not just because you get the job done and we'll but also because you needed a fresh start." he said.

"Wait, what do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Come on Elizabeth, I might be reserved but I know everything about you. I care about my employees, especially you so it didn't take me long to find about your divorce and everything," he said.

"Does that mean everyone at work knew about my problems?" I asked.

"Of course not. Everybody noticed how you stopped smiling and you bury yourself in work until it's time to go home but not everything. When you first joined this company, you were fresh out of college so I was worried a bit, but within three months you were already getting the hang of everything. You get the job done and on time and everything about your work screams passion. You love what you do and not the salary that comes with it. So how about you think about it and let me know. We have the annual ball tomorrow where I will announce my retirement and hopefully, you will take over. Do get back to me at the end of the day." he said.

"I don't think there's anything to think about, I will take over. Some opportunities come once in a lifetime and I have will not let this one pass me by." I told him.

"Great. I will discuss this with the board today. You are free to go home, and do come to the ball tomorrow." he said.

"Will do Mr. Kingman. I have one question though if I take over as CEO, does that mean I also get your private elevator?" I asked.

He smiled. "Please call me Arthur and of course you do. You never cease to amaze me Elizabeth. If all the things you could be excited about when you are CEO, you are excited about the elevator?"

"I think it's the word private that got me excited." I joked.

"I see. All the best. Next week, it's just you and Christelle." he said.

"Thank you," I said getting up to leave. This is not what I imagined when I got the call yesterday. I went straight home just to find my brother Jack in my living room.

"Jack, it will be appreciated if you start letting people know that you are stopping by," I said.

"Wow, my little sister hasn't seen me in two years but I don't even get a hug? I am hurt," he said faking a sob.

"You are so dramatic," I said hugging him.

"You look good little one," he said.

"Guy's, I am in my thirties, when will the 'little one' come to an end?" I asked.

"You are our little sister, so never I guess," he said shrugging.

"Okay. So what made you drop by?"

"Unfortunately I come bearing some very bad news for Erastus since he asked me to handle his divorce, I decided to dig into Rose a bit because there is no way she can cheat on Erastus," he said.

"So where is he?" I asked.

"He went to get some beers. He will be needing one to listen to the bad news," he said, and as if on cue, Erastus enters with cans of beer.

"Looks like he is back. Can I stay or should I give you guys the room?" I asked.

"Stay," Erastus said.

"Okay, I am sorry about this but you deserve to know the truth. Rose never cheated on you and she knew she couldn't have kids, she just provoked you from time to time so you get tired and leave her. Rose dated some guy named Reid since high school and he went to study in the United Kingdom 7 years ago. They dated for a year but the distance was not working for them so they ended it. Now Reid is back and wants Rose back and I guess she also wants him back. That's why she filed for divorce." Jack said.

Now that's just messed up! I said to myself. Silence fell upon the room. I kept looking at Erastus waiting for a reaction but his face was just blank.

"Let me know when she sends the divorce papers so I sign them," he said and went into his room.

"Is he going to be okay?" Jack asked.

"I hope so. I guess there's no room for good news anymore." I sighed.

"What good news?" he asked.

"Your little sister is the new CEO of Capricorn. The one here in LA." I told him.

"Congrats sis. Now that's a reason to drink beer. I am so proud of you." he said.

"Thank you," I said.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

256K 11.2K 59
This isn't a story for the faint of heart. This is a story about a girl who loved a boy. A boy who couldn't love her back. This is a story about the...
19K 489 13
Elizabeth and her son's father have a very dark and unusual relationship. He used to be so sweet and understanding with her. Somewhere along the cour...
8 0 15
*synopsis* After a disappointing relationship, Layla is convinced true love doesn't exist and that she will never find it. But when her best friends...