Enemies

By ni1ghtmarionne

Takahashi Ren, one of the top spies in the Port Mafia, is assigned one last task before being promoted to Exe... More

Assignment
Training
Deception
Trust
Leaving
Assassinations
Questions
Reunion
Contemplations
Suicide
Avoiding
Confession
Forgetting
Interrogation
Meeting
Thoughts
The Guild
Alliance
Fight
For the Tainted Sorrow
Kidnapping
Ocean
Threat
Loyalties
In This Corner of the World
Coffee
Tiny Light
Manhattan
Investigation
Poker Face
Dead Men Walking
Masquerade
Memories
Stalker
Captured
Monitoring
Explosion
Death?
Wind in the Willows
Gin
Suzuki Aiko
The Words Like the Wind
Recruitment
Dead Apple
Mukurotoride
Poison
Shadow of a Winter's Day
The Collector
Fever
Raid
The Garden of Eden
Jealousy
That One Random Beach Episode in Every Anime
Birthday
Onsen
The Red String of Fate
Epilogue
The Red Dress

Anniversary

261 7 1
By ni1ghtmarionne

"REN!" Chuuya yelled out as she walked down a half, wearing a high neck blue dress that stretched down to the ground with a split, covering her black stilettos underneath.

She wore sheer black tights where she hid her knife and gun, with her hair in an updo with a few strands hanging over the side of her ears, which wore teal green enamel earrings. Her hands were hidden by long black gloves that stretched up her arms, and her makeup was relatively simple, but accentuated her features. Her dress highlighted her elegance, and her gaze almost looked judgmental as she wore an indifferent expression that concealed her emotions, somewhat resembling Ozaki.

"Do you need anything?" Her voice cut through the air, and for a moment Chuuya was captivated by the demanding look she gave him, which was still quite soft and gentle.

The blue depths of her eyes were clearly than they used to be, and held a faint shine and light as the light from above them reflected off of them. They held emotion and experiences that ranged beyond heartbreaking and distant.

"Are you done staring? We have an event to get to or we can make a fashionably late entrance." She shrugged, and Chuuya followed her to the hall where Mori told them to meet.

Everyone was dressed in formal wear, and Mori smiled as Chuuya and Ren made their way in, holding a glass of wine. Ren pulled up her mask, and he summoned them over with the other Executives, and they stood in a small group, watching everyone else. The other agents stood around them, looking at them respectfully and fearfully. Some look on with envy, but everyone knew that they were the most powerful forces to be reckoned with in the Port Mafia.

"Midnight, would you be interested in coming to my tea ceremony in a week?" Ozaki asked Ren, taking a sip of tea.

"Alright." She nodded, and Ozaki gave her more details.

"Very well. I will supervise my unit." She walked off, and everyone sat down at their respective tables.

Ren was ordered to supervise the Guerrilla Squad, since Hirotsu was taking care of the Black Lizard. She sat with Akutagawa, making sure he and Higuchi weren't doing anything too rash. They both still looked terrified of her, but each person on the table clinked their glasses together, each taking a sip of their own drinks, except for Ren.

"Everyone." Mori said, and the whole room went silent as they turned their attention towards their boss. "Everyone, today marks anniversary of the Port Mafia. Good work to all of you. That is all I need to say. Enjoy yourselves." The silence was slowly consumed by the sound of people chatting and other people walking around.

"So you're... the Port Mafia Executive that the Boss never formally announced?" One of the agents pointed at Ren, who sat there not doing anything.

"So what if I am?" She raised an eyebrow, and the person who asked her started trembling.

"You don't have a special ability..."

"Yeah, flashy superpowers aren't the only thing that'll get you status in the Mafia."

After a while, most people were either drunk or had left after passing out. Higuchi, even when drunk, still fawned over Akutagawa, who kept pushing her away, keeping his distance as much as he could. Ren stood up, moving to a far corner of the room and took a sip of wine, swirling her glass around and watching everyone else.

"Ren, we need to deal with these people." Chuuya pointed to Akutagawa, Higuchi and their team, along with Tachihara, who seemed to be doing something.

"HEY! 真夜中さん!(Midnight-san I guess) CHUUYA-SAN! JOIN US FOR SPIN THE BOTTLE!" Tachihara dragged them over, spinning around an empty wine bottle with a few other people standing around.

"Ok, Chuuya-san, who would you bang in the Port Mafia?" Tachihara leaned towards him.

"Myself. Next." He spun the bottle again.

"Midnight-san, what's the cutest thing you've ever seen?" Tachihara looked genuinely curious.

"Dazai sleeping." She answered immediately.

"That was... strangely honest..." Chuuya sighed.

"I have standards."

"OK WE'VE GONE THROUGH EVERYONE! NEXT GAME! I have to kiss whoever this lands on- Oh god..." As she began to walk away, the bottle landed on Ren, and she sighed, turning to Tachihara, who looked absolutely mortified and completely confident at the same time.

"So, I guess I have to do this now." Chuuya flinched, seeing Ren pull down her mask a little.

She kissed the back of her hand, and used the back of her hand to slap Tachihara across the face, sending him flying against one of the tables. Everyone's jaws dropped and some of them blushed as they watched Tachihara slowly sit up and Ren brush herself off, striding up to him. She knelt down, placing a slender finger under his chin and lifted it up, studying his quivering face with an emotionless expression.

"かっこいい... (Cool/attractive)" One of them breathed as they watched the situation unfold.

"Bitch you thought. Deal with it." She leaned in closer to his ear. "Hunting Dog." He drew his breath up sharply, glaring with confusion as she stood up, giving him a knowing look and walking away.

Chuuya stood up and left with Ren, leaving Tachihara lying on the ground, staring up at the ceiling, almost paralysed. Ren and Chuuya took another drink, but Chuuya was already drunk, having downed almost a whole bottle of alcohol. They stood around, talking with the other Executives for a while, before they heard something blasting down the walls and a sudden gust of wind blowing through.

There was the loud shattering of glass as men in suits who didn't look Japanese charged in, holding out multiple machine guns. Chuuya was already starting to slur his speech and leaned against the wall for support.

"姉ちゃん、誰だよ?(Older sister, who are they?)" He pointed.

"AAAAH!" They heard screaming from one of the agents, who was cowering in the corner, and more people were joining them, whispering amongst themselves.

"Calm down all of you." Ren snapped, stepping forward, and they all shut up quickly.

"Where do you have our boss?" They demanded, pointing towards Ren and Mori in broken Japanese.

"Oh, the American Mafia. Your boss is dead." Ren said back to them in English, pulling her mask back on.

"NO! You're lying! You have him detained somewhere! Where did you put him?" One of them stepped forward, pointing their gun at Ren.

Striding towards them, she placed a finger on the gun and pushed it down. "Believe whatever you want to believe, but just know...

I'm right."

She swept them off their feet, and they landed to the ground with a thud as she took out her gun, pointing it at their forehead as a bullet came flying past her. "It seems you've fired the first shot. I can handle this. Step in if I get shot. I won't kill them for now, but they'll have injuries after this."

Ren flipped one of them over, shooting them quickly in the shoulder as bullets came flying towards her. Jumping up, she dodged them and fired a few more shots, reloading her gun and landing back on the ground. Tripping everyone in her path and shooting them, Ren swiftly moved out the way of all the bullets heading in her direction, which were all poorly aimed. Landing in the middle of them, Mori and Ozaki couldn't see her, but they heard gunshots and the sounds of people collapsing onto the ground. Wearing her dress, her movements were limited, but she still managed to make them look smooth and elegant, without breaking a sweat. As the last few people collapsed, bleeding out from their forehead with a terrified expression plastered on their face, but no life threatening injuries.

"This is why you don't mess with the Port Mafia." Ren wiped a drop of blood off her face and walked around the chaos.

One person staggered up, coughing and holding a knife. Bending him backwards and sending him flying, Ren sighed, casually taking another sip of wine and pulling down her mask.

"What the hell did you just do to that dude?" Chuuya pointed to the person she flung into the wall.

"I learned the art of folding clothes with people still in them." She shrugged and everyone was staring at her. "What?" Her dress hadn't wrinkled in the slightest, and all eyes were on her as she continued like nothing happened.

"Ren, I think you've singlehandedly made everyone here who has never seen you fight before fall in love with you. Besides, now they've seen your face." Chuuya sighed as a few of the agents collapsed and a few others were staring at her in awe.

"They're drunk." She shrugged, taking another sip and fixing her hair.

"Midnight-senpai-" One of them approached her.

"やかましい。(shut up) Don't you dare, and I'm taken anyway. That goes for all of you." She snapped at them, and they stumbled back, faces red. "Oh god... Dazai's enough..." Akutagawa immediately rushed over at the mention of his name, looking at her expectantly. "If this is about Dazai-"

"Fight me. Need an enemy worthy of Dazai's acknowledgement!" Akutagawa asked, bowing.

"I'm not bothered to deal with you right now." She leaned her head away.

"At least tell me how to get his attention. Please. I want to get stronger." Akutagawa put his hands together, silently pleading her.

"What is the definition of strong? Think about it. You're not gonna get 'strong' overnight. As for other points, don't diss Atsushi, I don't know. But don't get caught up in getting the attention of one guy. It will limit your strength and power if you're solely focused on Dazai. Dazai's not perfect, I can tell you that at least. I don't have much advice to give." She shrugged.

"I'm just as strong as Atsushi! What does he have that I don't?" He seemed totally stumped, and she watched him for a moment.

"Eyebrows."

After walking out of the building, Ren started making her way down the streets, turning down an alley and walking into an old bar with a flickering sign. Pushing the door open, she took a glass of alcohol, leaning against the counter and deciding to stand up. Lifting the glass to inspect it, she heard someone coming into the bar.

"Hey, that looks good on you." She heard someone's voice in the quiet room.

"Thanks. Do you want a drink, Dazai?" She tapped her finger on the table, where there was another glass.

He picked up the glass and sat down, holding up his glass. They clinked them together, smiling softly, and they took a sip together as Ren sat down, swirling her glass around. "This is a nice change from being raided by the American Mafia while surrounded by drunk people." She laughed.

"That's good. For now you can relax." Dazai shuffled closer to Ren, placing a hand on hers.

"Really?" She asked semi-sarcastically.

"Really."

- - -

Poor Ren has a fan club now.

Just a reminder, next chapter is last chapter.

Hunting Dog is a reference to the manga since Tachihara is a double agent. HOWEVER, I haven't read the manga but pretty much everyone on Instagram has. I've been reading JoJo. Part 6 is great so far. I'm not reading about crazy clowns just yet. And my page has been FLOODED with Soukoku. I don't have anything against it, but just the sheer amount is suffocating so I haven't been going on the Instagram explore page as much and when I do I look at JoJo or Mystic Messenger memes.

The reason I chose やかましい over うるさい is solely because Jotaro said やかましい to a bunch of girls and cue the fangirl screaming. It's the subtle references lol. 

And @yolandathesnowflake started watching JoJo. Finally.

I used the phrase 姉ちゃん (nee-chan) which is really weird when you translate it to English. In Chinese you can call your older sister 姐姐 which also means older sister and that's kinda what you can call them. But when you translate it to English it sounds really weird. 

The word かっこいい means cool, but in English it's meant like you look up to someone, and in Japanese it more leans towards attractive. There's the culture of 'kakkoii boys' I guess, or イケメン (ikemen), which is honestly kinda weird but hey, let's roll with it.

And when people call Ren "Midnight-san" they're calling her 真夜中さん (Mayonaka-san). They add -san because she is a higher rank than them, so they use the honorific -san for politeness. And they'd also have to speak keigo but I'm not gonna get into that. 

Ren's name 'Midnight Shadow' would be 真夜中影 in Japanese which is a pretty literal translation, so other people might call her something like 真夜中の影。(which basically translates to Midnight's Shadow)

That's enough rambling for today.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 264 17
Ever since you left Yokohama for Kyoto 3 years ago, you receive a letter that changes everything, forcing you back to the place you once called home...
21.2K 375 31
Dazai and Chuuya, 15 year old teenagers working in the Port Mafia with a little twist of the future. TW: contains drinking, cursing, sh, slight nsfw...
106K 4.2K 23
• COMPLETED • may start off slow at first, but bear with it it'll pick up • "sheomri is a demon goddess, and i took her soul. so what does that make...
41.8K 1.2K 15
Atsushi has a small crush on Dazai. But apparently Dazai likes someone else. That someone else was a person that everyone was least expecting, for he...