The Bending of Life

Flint125 által

Kenna is a 17 year old 'orphan' trying her hardest to live a good life with her friends and the little money... Több

Whats in the past, stays in the past
THE BENDING OF LIFE
A/N
Concerning updating...
Leaf in the wind (p.1)
Leaf in the wind (p.2)
The Revelation (p.1)
The Revelation (p.2)
The Voice in the Night (p.1)
The Voice in the Night (p.2)
Quick little A/N
The Voice in the Night (p.3)
The Spirit of Compition (p.1)
The Spirit of Competition (p.2)
The Spirit of Competition (p.3)
And The Winner Is... (P.2)
And The Winner Is... (P.3)
The Aftermath (P.1)
The Aftermath (P.2)
The Aftermath (P.3)
When Extremes Meet (P.1)
Concerning rewrites
Concerning rewrites P.2
When Extremes Meet (P.2)
When Extremes Meet (P.3)
Out Of The Past
Turning The Tides (P.1)

And the Winner is... (p.1)

1.3K 42 4
Flint125 által

Four pictures of Tahno's smirking face were pegged to a cable across the gym.

The first was torn in two by a couple of powerful earth disks.

The second was incinerated to ashes by a ball of flame.

The third had a chunk torn from the side from a water streams.

And the fourth went up in smoke after a jolt of electricity fried it to hell.

Korra jumped up with a whoop of enthusiasm, punching her fist into the air before walking around with confidence in her gait. I laughed at her antics, lifting an earth disk from the floor and crumbling it to pieces with my bending, before sending it shredding through the fourth picture of Tahno like bullets.

"Man, I got a good feeling about tonight. I don't care if we are the underdogs. We can take those pompous Wolfbats," Korra exclaimed, striding back to Mako, Bolin and I after completing her pump up lap, grabbing a towel as she passed.

"It's going to be our toughest mats he ever, but I think you're right," Mako nodded, pulling off his helmet and smoothing down his spiked hair. Bolin bounced over, throwing his arm around Mako's shoulder, his other arm held out as if showing Mako something in the air.

"Introducing your new champs, the fantastic Fire Ferrets and their top-notch coach!" Bolin announced, his voice imitating that of the radio host, and a huge grin on his face. Korra, Mako and I chuckled at his bubbling enthusiasm, and he pulled me into a side hug, an arm still slung over Mako's shoulder as he slung the other over mine.

'Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon.' The radio spluttered to static, before the wretched voice of the masked terrorist flooded the room, instantly souring the mood. 'I hope you all enjoyed last night's pro-bending match, because it will be the last.'

'Wha..." Bolin muttered, slipping his arms free and walking forward, Mako and I following. Pabu had been sleeping by the radio, but had scampered away as soon as Amon had began broadcasting, the little creature climbing up my clothes and laying over my shoulder, shattering angrily at the radio.

'It's time for this dirt to stop worshipping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel the finals, or else there will be severe consequences.' Amon's voice cut out and the radio spewed static. I reached forward and flicked the switch, the radio going quiet after a moment.

"That guy's got some nerve," Bolin started darkly, glaring at the radio before turning to look at his 3 teammates.

"You think the council will give in?" Mako asked after a moment of quiet, his eyes slightly widened as he glanced from me to Korra.

"I'm not waiting to find out," a Korra growled, unzipping her training jacket and marching away, kicking off her training boots and slipping back into her everyday shoes, "We need to get to City Hall."

XXX

Korra drew Naga to a hurried stop at the base of the steps leading up to City Hall. The four of us leaped off, but I hung back as my three friends marched for the doors. It had been agreed that I'd wait outside with Naga and Pabu, making sure that no trouble would roll up from the other teams that may potentially want to protest.

I watched as Korra slammed the doors open, striding in as Bolin and Mako swung them closed again once they were inside. I sighed, leaning against the side of Naga's neck and scratching between her ears absentmindedly. Pabu was draped over Naga's saddle, basking in the sunshine as he rolled around on his back, chittering happily.

A few minutes passed, and a police cruiser skidded to a stopped a little way down the street, an angry cheif of police jumping out and making for the Hall. Chief Beifong strode past without hesitation, jarring to a halt after five paces before spinning around to face me.

"Kaiser," the Chief greeted formally, her voice not exactly cold, but it certainly wasn't welcoming.

"Chief," I replied, nodding in greeting as I removed my hand from Naga's head. "The Avatar's inside, with the rest of the Fire Ferrets, if that's what you were going to ask."

"Expected," The Chief sighed, running a hand over her face. "Come on. I've got an Avatar to back."

The Chief turned on her heel, gesturing for me to follow as she strode up the steps. I jogged to catch up, shoving open the left door as Lin shoved open the right. My first glance around the room revealed the majority of the council on their feet, my friends staring up at them as Tarrlok brought a gavel down.

The gavel never hit, the head being severed by a lashing metal cable. The councilmen and the pro-bending team before them turned to look as Lin and I store forward, the Chief of Police calling the cable back with a defiant flick of her wrist.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the Avatar," Chief Beifong growled evenly, shooting the Avatar an exasperated glance.

"You are?" Tarrlok asked, disbelieve in his voice as his gaze cut away from Kin and fell on me.

"Yeah, you do?" Korra questioned, crossing her arms sassily as she glared back at the Chief of Police.

"I expected this kind of cut-and-run response from Tenzin," The Chief started, jabbing a finger at the indifferent Airbender. "But the rest of you? Come on, show a little more backbone. It's time that the benders of this city displayed some strength and unity against these Equalists."

"We must prevent the conflict between benders and non benders from escalating into all-out war!" Tenzin countered, and I watched with suspicion as Tarrlok's eyes shifted. "The Council is not changing its position, Lin."

"Now just a moment, Tenzin. Let us hear what our esteemed Chief of Police has in mind," Tarrlok cut in suddenly, leaning forward to rest his hands against the bench before him. Tenzin grunted as he folded his arms over his chest, mumbling to himself as he glared icily at Tarrlok.

"If you keep the arena open, my metal benders and I will provide extra security during the championship match," Lin explained, a sense of pride in her voice. "There's no better force to deal with the chi blockers. Our armour is impervious to their attacks."

"I also offer my services to Chief Beifong," I stated as I took a few steps forward, until I was standing by Lin's side. "I can use my various skills to help protect the citizens and spectators within the arena. I will comply to any and all orders given by the Chief, as long as the arena stays open."

"Are you saying that you will both personally take responsibility for the safety of the spectators in the arena?" Tarrlok asked, and Tenzin shot him a glare of both anger and suspicion. I hesitated for a moment, before nodding confidently, sharing a look with Chief Beifong.

"I guarantee it," Lin assured firmly, a victorious smirk spreading over Tarrlok's face.

"It is hard to argue with Chief Beifong's track record, and Kenna is known from her impressive fighting skills," Tarrlok confirmed, almost sounding scornful and slightly sarcastic as he raised his hand. "If she is confident that her elite officers can protect the arena, than she has my support. I am changing my vote. Who else is with me?"

There was a tense moment of silence, before three of the remaining four Council members raised their hands in agreement, the majority winning over the minority. The arena was to stay open, the championship finals to take place.

"The arena stays open," Tarrlok concluded, the smirk still on his face. "Good luck in the finals."

"All right!" Bolin exclaimed as the Fire Ferrets jumped around and cheered, punching their fists into the air.

"Yeah!" Mako yelled, a wide grin on his face as he turned to face me. I sent him a reserved smile, thinking of the way Tarrlok had conducted himself. I knew the man was a weasel from the way he played Korra at the gala, but what would he gain by playing the Chief?

"Thank you!" Korra gushed, drawing Bolin and Mako into a tigh embrace.

"And good luck to you, Chief Beifong, Kenna," Tarrlok called, almost as an afterthought. I sent him a quick and cold glare, before spinning on my heel and striding back outside, leaning against Naga's side with a huff. Pabu scampered over from where he'd been laying on Naga's back, running across my shoulders and flopping down with his tail draped down my back.

"Dammit," I hissed, rubbing a hand over my forehead. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd walked right into one of Tarrlok's elaborate traps, one that would come round to bite me in the back. "Pabu, I have a knack for getting myself into stupid situations."

XXX

"The anticipation is palpable as we are just moments away from the championship match. Will the Wolfbats' ferocity help them repeat as champs? Or will the underdog Fire Ferrets serve up a bowl of smack down soup?" Shiro Shinobi started his commentary, rising up the crowd in anticipation for the upcoming match. I was positioned high in the stands, standing beside Lin Beifong and Tenzin as I stared down at the arena.

"Introducing the challengers, the Future Industries Fire Ferrets!" The ring announcer introduced and I cheered along with the crowds, sending Lin a sheepish smile when she turned to me with a raised brow.

"It still feels weird to be up here, and not down there," I muttered, mostly to myself as I leaned onto the railing before me, squinting down at the brightly lit rink, just making out my three friends as they entered the arena, Pabu with them.

"You think your team can handle the heat without their coach there with them?" Chief Beifong asked, a small smile on her face as we watched Pabu perform a little circus routine.

"I have faith in them, and they know I'll be watching, no matter what," I replied, waving down to my team, grinning when they all waved back.

"And their opponents, the three timed defending champions, the White Falls Wolfnats!" The ring announcer yelled as the second team came out with capes, masks and fireworks. I huffed disapprovingly, rolling my eyes as they howled loudly, their fans screaming in delight.

"The champs and the challengers face off at the centre-line and here we go!" Shiro announced, the teams lowering into their stances and the bell ringing to signal the start of round 1. The Wolfbats moved in swiftly, Tahno sending an uppercut towards the underside of Korra's chin with a water-wrapped fist. She managed to dodge at the last second, backflipping out of the way, only to be hit by a water blast as she landed.  "Tahno tries to clean the Avatar's clock with some dirty water boxing."

"Foul," I murmured to myself,already knowing how this game was going to go. The Wolfbats had paid the refs off, so they'd turn a blind eye at all the illegal shots they were planning to pull. Mako sends an arch of fire towards the opposing earth bender, who retaliates with a double disk shot, following with another double and forcing Mako back to zone two.

"Ming shakes off Mako's attack and returns the favour," Shiro explained while Bolin faced off against the fire bender. He sent a disk flying into the ropes, bouncing it back to slam into his opponent, knocking him against the fence. "Shaozu gets fancy, but Bolin ricochets a disk off the ropes and says 'no, thank you sir!'"

"That's what I'm talkin about!" I exclaimed excitedly, clapping my hands together once as my smile grew wider. "Keep up the smart moves!"

Korra and Tahno were still going at it, continually pummelling each other, neither seeming to land a direct hit, or advance in any way.

"The water benders slug it out, looking evenly matched," Shiro commented, when Tahno suddenly sent a prolonged water stream towards Bolin, knocking the earth bender back to zone three. "Tahno gets a little too worked up and unleashes a deluge on Bolin that would certainly elicit a foul... or not."

"Foul," I growled, crossing my arms as the ref brushed it away, the Wolfbats getting the light to advance into Ferret territory.

"And the Wolfbats advance despite Tahno exceeding the water bending time limit. A questionable call by the officials," Shiro announced as the match played on. Korra was preparing to send an attack, before Tahno water whacked her, sending her rolling across the rink as Bolin leapt up to return his own attack to the opposing water bender, which Tahno unfortunately dodged. Mako was avoiding disks sent from the Wolfbats' earth bender, retaliating with fire balls and arcs. Mako suddenly tripped over, the earth bender having raised the disk under my friends feet, before sending a second into his stomach and shoving him back to zone three. "Ming trips Mako with another dirty trick!"

"Oh come on, refs! There was some funny business in that last play!" Tenzin yelled suddenly, his face red with anger as he threw his hands up.

"Wouldn't have guessed you knew the rules of pro-bending?" Chief Beifong asked a raised brow, and I sent Tenzin an approving grin.

"I've been brushing up," Tenzin explained proudly, clearing his throat with a smirk. "That Wolfbat blatantly bent a disk outside of his zone."

"He did indeed, Tenzin. The Wolfbats have been peppering fouls from the very beginning," I sighed, staring down at the arena. "It means the refs have been paid off."

"The Ferret brothers are backed up to zone three and the Wolfbats smell blood," Shiro commented as Bolin jumped back, slipping on a patch of ice Tahno had created behind him. Bolin tried to recover, but was knocked off the rink by a powerful fire blast. I winced at the splash, hissing in irritation as the crowd booed. "Looks like Tahno snuck in an illegal icing move, but once again, there's no call."

Tahno and his fire bender ganged up against Korra, the water bender barely keeping up with the constant attacks. Mako was facing the earth bender, rolling out of the way of a careening disk. He stood quickly, sending a fire blast back, but the earth bender dodged easily.

"I don't know what match the refs are watching, but it's obviously not this one," Shiro said, almost sadly, as Korra was shoved back into zone three, the Wolfbats advancing. Mako attacked with a flame arc, but the Wolfbats scattered and dodged. "Oh... a splash-and-crash sends the Avatar to zone three as well."

Mako moved in front of Korra, drawing flame to his palm and shooting it forward in an attempt to defend against a triple element barrage, but the flames weren't strong enough. Mako was punched back into Korra, and they both rolled off the edge of the rink.

"No..." I whispered to myself, razing my hands to run them over my hair, still staring down at the arena intently.

"It's a knockout! The Wolfbats win the championship for the fourth year in a - Hold on a second folks!" Shiro yelled, and I strained to see what had him so worked up. I could barely make out two figures, dangling from the edge of Fire Ferret territory, swinging in open air. "Scratch that! The Fire Ferrets are still alive, but just barely."

"It's not over, not yet!" I cheered, punching a fist in the air as Mako was launched back onto the rink, sending a flame blast into Tahno's back, sending the water bender sprawling just as the bell rung. The downed bender scrambled to his feet, turning with a sneer to see Mako settled in a fighting pose, meaning they were still in the match.

"What an unbelievable move! These Ferrets aren't just bending the elements, they're bending me mind!" Shiro commented as I turned to Tenzin and Lin, a goofy smile on my face.

"Ready for round two?"

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

67.4K 1.6K 17
*Old Work* "Well, my family have a lot of great benders. Aang, Tenzin, Katara, Kya even my dad was a great firebender with an earthbender mom... I ca...
22.9K 517 14
170 AG the year of change for two friends. It is finally time for the Avatar, Master of all four elements, to learn airbending. But before she can l...
27.4K 616 10
Korra was involved in a horrid accident that left her paralyzed. Within that time, her world became a blur of anger and secret feelings for her best...
27.5K 733 19
When Korra Waters moves to a new high school she is forced to hide her secret that no high school teenager should go through. When Asami Sato and he...