Out Of The Past

The basement was dark and dank as I was forced down the stairs, the toes of boots just trailing over the wood as Tarrlok held me in a blood grip, inching me towards one of two metallic boxes occupying the floorspace.

"You've b-been planning this for a while," I managed to growl, grunting as his grip on me tightened momentarily.

"You and the Avatar have been a thorn in my side for too long," the councilman spat, taking us across the floor once he was at the bottom of the stairs. Standing back, he guided me into the box, turning me so that I was facing him.

My limbs were suddenly free as I fell to the floor, stumbling but managing to catch myself on the back wall. I made to lunge back out, but the door was slammed in my face, and I could do nothing except pound weakly against the metal.

I heard Tarrlok's footsteps as he ascended the staircase, the thuds growing quieter as he moved back for the truck. There was the screech of the truck's rear doors opening, as well as what sounded like a barrage of fire before there was silence.

A minute passed before the stairs creaked again, signalling that Tarrlok had overpowered Korra and was bringing her down to this rudimentary prison as well.

"What are you doing?" Korra asked, her voice strained, before there was a loud bang as the door to her box was sealed shut. "Tarrlok! You can't keep me in here forever!"

Korra was pounding relentlessly against the walls of her box, sending punches and fire kicks against the metal. Over her struggling, I heard Tarrlok disappear up the stairs one last time, a short pause before the motor of his truck started back up and drove away.

After he was gone, Korra seemed to calm down, her barrage against the metal slowing until she gave one final punch before she slumped to the floor.

"Korra?" I called softly, banging on the metal door. "Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not alright!" she seethed, again kicking the door. "I'm trapped in a mad man's basement dungeon while my friends are wrongfully imprisoned, and the threat everyone should be worried about is allowed to continue rampaging through the city!"

"I meant more physically alright, but sure," I sighed as I slid down to the floor, drawing in short breaths against the pain in my lungs and side.

"I suppose I should be asking if you're alright. It seemed like Tarrlok did a number on you with his bloodbending."

"However he managed that," I grumbled, leaning back against the wall of my cell. "I'll be fine, it's nothing that won't fix itself."

There was a moment of silence before I heard a heavy sigh.

"I hope Tenzin finds out we're missing soon, and gets our friends out of jail so they can come looking for us," Korra admitted softly, and I furrowed my brows at the thought. "Cause I don't see us getting out of here without help."

"We'll be fine, Kor," I reassured, though it was half hearted at best. "We'll get out of here, expose Tarrlok for the cheat that he is, and take down Amon."

"I hope you're right, Kenna. I really do."

XXX

I woke up to the sound of banging, Korra all but throwing herself against the sides of her box in desperation to get out. I was curled up in the back corner of the box, my head resting against the smooth metal.

"Somebody! Help! Please!" she called out, the pounding stopping as she leant her forehead against the metal. "Please."

"Save your strength, Korra," I whispered, hugging myself tighter against the cold that was leaching into the box. "You're gonna need it."