The Aftermath (P.2)

A/N
Guess who's not dead? This gal.
Did I have you fooled? Probably not. Anyhow. Next chapter's up, took me what? 8 months. That's pathetic and I apologise.
Flint125

Pretty cool, huh?" Asami asks, turning to Korra with a small smile as the rest of us stare down at the sprawling race track. Far below, Satomobile screeched around corners, tyres spinning as they raced to cross the finish line first.

"Way cooler than a makeover," Korra answered, still gazing down at the track, her eyes full of light and amazement.

"This is where Future Industries test-drives their Satomobiles," Asami explained as the two vehicles roared over the line, skidding to a stop before the drivers jumped out and shared a fist bump. "Ever been behind the wheel?"

"The only thing I know how to drive is a polar bear dog," the Avatar answered, her cheeks heating slightly in embarrassment.

"You want me to take you for a spin?" Asami suggested, smiling at the grin that overtook Korra's face

"Let's do it!" Korra whooped, jumping to her feet enthusiastically and allowing Asami to lead the way down to the tracks. From where I was sitting beside the boys, I could hear them murmuring quietly as they placed their bets, Bolin betting on the opposing driver while Mako bet on Asami.

"Who do you think'll win, Ken?" Bo asked, turning to face me as I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees.

"Asami will take it out easy. She's got game, and she's not just pretty looks," I answered, grinning when the two cars shot off from the start, engines roaring up to the stands as they sped away expertly.

It seemed for the first half a lap that I may have overestimated Asami, her Satomobile falling further and further behind. But there was a sudden shift in atmosphere as the vehicles roared over half way, Asami speeding ahead and managing to shimmy around the outside of her opponent, back wheel clipping the wall.

It was obvious that the second driver was itching to win, for at every turn, he tried to weave around Asami, but the Sato heir just turned out to be too good. Her control was flawless, the Satomobile sweeping around each corner effortlessly, blocking the opposition from passing until the final stretch. As a last-ditch effort, the second driver goes for a drastic pass, but his front tire clips Asami's rear and he goes spinning off the track.

"Yeah, Asami!" I yelled, the three of us on our feet and cheering as Asami pulled her car into a stop, stepping triumphantly from her vehicle and waving enthusiastically. "She crushed it!"

XXX

"Emergency, emergency coming through, beep beep!" Bolin yells as he runs past the rest of our group, trooping for the downstairs bathroom. I snorted at his retreating figure, Pabu chittering excitedly from where he lay across my shoulders.

"Uh, is there another bathroom I can use?" Korra asked with a chuckle, gesturing after Bolin and around the lobby area.

"We have a lady's powder room upstairs," Asami answers, pointing up the impressive grand staircase as Mako moved to her side. "First door on your right. You can freshen up in there."

"Thanks," the Avatar nodded, before moving off, climbing the great stair and disappearing from view. Mako, Asami and I stood in what I would call an awkward silence, although it was probably only awkward for my part.

The couple were sharing brief kisses, occasionally laughing airily at a whispered few words. I huffed after a moment more, walking forward to sit at the base of the staircase, staring at the opposite wall and playing with Pabu. I brought a spark of fire to my palm, flicking the harmless flame across the marble stairs and laughing when Pabu went skittering after it.