The Voice in the Night (p.2)

Music fills the air and people mingle around in the large foyer area of the City Hall. All of the city's rich and extravagant citizens showcase their wealth in the fabric that makes their clothes and the jewellery. Tables of five-star food line the walls and the band plays perfectly on the stage.

"How did you convince me to come to this?" I mumbled to Mako as I walked beside him with my hand on Bolin's arm, mostly to make sure he didn't get lost in the thick crowd of the movers and stackers.

"It was basic politeness for you to come, you know this." Mako replied as our small group continued to squeeze through the crowd.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I belong here." I retaliated as I stumbled over someone's dress, Bolin managing to keep me on my feet and haul me away from them. "Thanks."

"Just put on your best smile and try not fall over your shoes." Mako chuckled as he pulled Asami closer to him and slipped through a small gap between the media and the beautifully dressed citizens. Bolin and I followed, making our way through the crowd and toward Councilmen Tarrlok, Mr Sato and Korra, who looked stunning in her formal dress.

"Hey Korra!" I called out as we closed the short distance between her and our group. Korra's eyes scanned over our group quickly but stopped dead on Asami, a hard look flashing across her face.

"This is my daughter, Asami." Mr Sato explained as we came to stop. Korra's eyes seemed to darken and narrow slightly, but if anyone else noticed they didn't say anything.

"It's lovely to meet you. Mako's told me so much about you." Asami said kindly in greeting to Korra.

"Really? Because he hasn't mentioned you at all." Korra replies in a cold tone, her eyes flicking from Mako to Asami and back again. "How did you two meet?"

"Asami crashed into him on her moped." Bolin answered quickly as he leaned in a little, trying to grab Korra's attention as usual.

"What? Are you ok?" Korra's tone changed in an instant, she went from stone cold to concerned and caring. Bolin leaned out again with a sad look on his face, ignored once again.

"I'm fine. More than fine. Mr Sato agreed to sponsor our team; we're back in the tournament!" Mako's remarked excitedly, his grip around Asami's shoulders tightening.

"Isn't it great?" Bolin asked Korra, nudging me gently in the side. In return to his prompt, I sent Mr Sato a dashing smile before turning to Korra.

"Yeah, terrific." Korra replied in a tone that sounded almost dejected. Just as the tension within the group was starting to boil over, Chief Beifong walked past, grabbing the attention of Tarrlok.

"Chief Beifong, I believe you and Avatar Korra have already met." Councilmen Tarrlok says, drawing a hesitant Lin into the conversation.

"Just because the city's throwing this big to-do, don't think you are something special." Cheif Beifong snaps at Korra, her tone ice cold and sharp as a dagger. "You've done absolutely nothing to deserve this."

Lin makes her exit, leaving a sheething and dejected Korra staring at her back. Tarrlok gave us all an apologetic look before steering Korra away, towards the fancy main staircase of the foyer.

"Well, that was... interesting." I mumbled as we trailed after Korra and the Councilmen, a crowd of reporters assembled below their position on the steps. The press was shouting questions at her, their voice mixing together in a roar of shouting. Councilmen Tarrlok gestured for them to quieten, and one reporter called out a question.

"Avatar Korra, you witnessed Amon take away people's bending firsthand. How serious a threat does he poses to the innocent citizens of Republic City?" The reporter asks, his notepad and pen ready to scribble her answer.

"I think he presents a real problem." Korra replied slowly, clearing her throat in a confused manner.

"Then why have you refused to join Tarrlok'c task force? As the Avatar, shouldn't you be going after Amon?" Another reporter asks. Korra's face flushes red as she readies herself to reply. Standing a short way behind her is a grinning Tarrlok, his features looking utterly evil in the dim light at the top of the stair.

"Well, I.." Korra starts before she's cut off by the same reporter.

"Why are you backing away from this fight?"

"What? No! I've never backed away from anything in my life!" Korra replies angrily, obviously offended by the reporters question.

"You promised to serve this city, aren't you going back on that promise now?" Another reporter chimed in, the noise levels starting to rise.

"Do you think pro-bending is more important than fighting the revolution?"

"How do you think Avatar Aang would have handled this?"

"Are you afraid of Amon?" This question sends Korra's temper over the edge. Her fists clench and her voice cuts clearly through the yelling of the reporters.

"I am not afraid of anybody! If the city needs me then... I'll join Tarrlok's task force and help fight Amon." Korra yells over the reporters, pointing back to Tarrlok. Just as the press goes absolutely nuts and Tarrlok starts to step forward, I snap.

"Avatar Korra, you will not be joining that task force." I order firmly, the press, guests, Councilmen, everyone turning to gawk at me.

"What are you doing?" Mako mutters under his breathe from beside me, the starts from the other guests boring into him as well as Asami and Bolin. I send him a quick yet reassuring glance before turning back to address Korra and Tarrlok.

"You have other, more important duties to fulfil. Councilmen Tarrlok does not care for this, he used this media interview to force you into the task force." I explain, my steady gaze meeting the outraged glare of Tarrlok.

"And who are you? Believing you're so high and mighty in the crowd?" Tarrlok growled. In response to his question, I stepped forward in the clearing between the press and guests and looked up at the Councilmen.

"I am Kenna Kaiser. Famous pro-bending coach of the Fire Ferrets, and one of the only people known in history to bend two of the four major elements without possessing the Avatar Spirit." I replied evenly, squaring my shoulders for effect.

"Well, if you're such a legendary fighter that has the authority to order the Avatar around, then perhaps you should join the task force and fight by her side. To prove your bold and outrageous claim." A wicked grin spread across Tarrlok's face as he spoke. His statement hit me like a boulder to the gut, but I hid my shock and outrage and kept a nuetral expression.

"If that's what it takes to keep the city safe, then I will join your task force. But know it was of my own terms, calling me out a large public event to assert dominance over both the Avatar and myself played no part in this decision. I wish only to keep the citizens of republic City safe." I explained firmly, feeling a hand grip my upper left arm.

"Kenna, no. You can't." Mako urged when I turned to face the person holding my arm. "You could get hurt, or worse, you could be killed. I can't loose half of my family over something as small as this."

"Mako, I'll be fine, I promise." I said gently as I placed a hand on his, softly prying his fingers off my arm and stepped through the press until I was standing next to a terrified looking Avatar.

"There's your headline, folks" Tarrlok shouts enthusiastically down to the press as he steps forward and places a hand on both of our shoulders, setting them off again on their mad questioning rampage, camera bulbs flashing wildly. "Avatar and Duel-bender join task force!"

My heart clenches as I look down at a devastated Mako and a bewildered Bolin. This wasn't right, but here I was, stuck in a deadly situation for the sake of my friends.