And the Winner is... (p.1)

Four pictures of Tahno's smirking face were pegged to a cable across the gym.

The first was torn in two by a couple of powerful earth disks.

The second was incinerated to ashes by a ball of flame.

The third had a chunk torn from the side from a water streams.

And the fourth went up in smoke after a jolt of electricity fried it to hell.

Korra jumped up with a whoop of enthusiasm, punching her fist into the air before walking around with confidence in her gait. I laughed at her antics, lifting an earth disk from the floor and crumbling it to pieces with my bending, before sending it shredding through the fourth picture of Tahno like bullets.

"Man, I got a good feeling about tonight. I don't care if we are the underdogs. We can take those pompous Wolfbats," Korra exclaimed, striding back to Mako, Bolin and I after completing her pump up lap, grabbing a towel as she passed.

"It's going to be our toughest mats he ever, but I think you're right," Mako nodded, pulling off his helmet and smoothing down his spiked hair. Bolin bounced over, throwing his arm around Mako's shoulder, his other arm held out as if showing Mako something in the air.

"Introducing your new champs, the fantastic Fire Ferrets and their top-notch coach!" Bolin announced, his voice imitating that of the radio host, and a huge grin on his face. Korra, Mako and I chuckled at his bubbling enthusiasm, and he pulled me into a side hug, an arm still slung over Mako's shoulder as he slung the other over mine.

'Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon.' The radio spluttered to static, before the wretched voice of the masked terrorist flooded the room, instantly souring the mood. 'I hope you all enjoyed last night's pro-bending match, because it will be the last.'

'Wha..." Bolin muttered, slipping his arms free and walking forward, Mako and I following. Pabu had been sleeping by the radio, but had scampered away as soon as Amon had began broadcasting, the little creature climbing up my clothes and laying over my shoulder, shattering angrily at the radio.

'It's time for this dirt to stop worshipping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel the finals, or else there will be severe consequences.' Amon's voice cut out and the radio spewed static. I reached forward and flicked the switch, the radio going quiet after a moment.

"That guy's got some nerve," Bolin started darkly, glaring at the radio before turning to look at his 3 teammates.

"You think the council will give in?" Mako asked after a moment of quiet, his eyes slightly widened as he glanced from me to Korra.

"I'm not waiting to find out," a Korra growled, unzipping her training jacket and marching away, kicking off her training boots and slipping back into her everyday shoes, "We need to get to City Hall."

XXX

Korra drew Naga to a hurried stop at the base of the steps leading up to City Hall. The four of us leaped off, but I hung back as my three friends marched for the doors. It had been agreed that I'd wait outside with Naga and Pabu, making sure that no trouble would roll up from the other teams that may potentially want to protest.

I watched as Korra slammed the doors open, striding in as Bolin and Mako swung them closed again once they were inside. I sighed, leaning against the side of Naga's neck and scratching between her ears absentmindedly. Pabu was draped over Naga's saddle, basking in the sunshine as he rolled around on his back, chittering happily.

A few minutes passed, and a police cruiser skidded to a stopped a little way down the street, an angry cheif of police jumping out and making for the Hall. Chief Beifong strode past without hesitation, jarring to a halt after five paces before spinning around to face me.