True Heir

By euphoria_nina

So, apparently the richest man in the state is now close friends with me, a diner girl. And apparently his be... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 43: II
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue
Reminder to Rude Readers

Chapter 45

61.5K 1.5K 94
By euphoria_nina

Chapter 45

Jake Hawkins

I don't know what to believe anymore.

All I know is that I've lost the girl I trusted and loved.

I heard the door open, but I didn't bother to look up. Lee was here anyways.

"Jake, don't you think you've had enough?" Lee said watching me.

"Shut the fuck up." I snapped drinking some more vodka.

"Hey." I heard Kaleb say.

"Hey." Lee said.

"How much has he drank?"

"More than half the bottle."

Kaleb sighed slowly. "Well—"

Before he could finish, the door busted open.

"Jake!" I heard Jace yell and I could tell he was furious.

Whatever. I couldn't care any less.

"Shit." Kaleb muttered.

Before I could get a hold on what was happening, Jace pulled me up from the couch and punched me causing me to fall to the ground.

"What the hell, Jace?!" I snapped angrily.

"That was for hurting Nina." he said and stormed to me and punched me again. "And that was for cheating on her."

I groaned. "Goddammit, Jace!"

"I saw the pictures, Jake! I wouldn't have believed it, but the proof was there! You're my best friend, Jake. I wouldn't be this furious with you if the reason you broke up wasn't because you slept with another girl!" He said furiously.

"It's not like did it on purpose!" I said annoyed as I stood up rubbing my jaw. "And if you saw those pictures, you saw her pictures too, huh?"

"But you didn't tell her! After accusing her of stupid things, you're the one who's been lying! And those pictures of her and Tony didn't mean anything!"

Why the hell am I always the bad person?!

"Jace if you're just here to fucking piss me off, then leave, cause it's not wanted." I said glaring at him.

He was gonna charge at me when Kaleb held him off.

"Jace that's enough. I'll take care of him." Kaleb said pointedly.

They had a stare down for a few seconds, in the end Jace glared at me and stormed out, banging the door close.

Kaleb sighed relieved. "Jake. What the hell happened?"

I grabbed the bottle of vodka and started drinking again.

"I was drunk, okay? You think I would do that if I was thinking straight?" I said annoyed.

I'm not that stupid to sleep with a girl...or cheat on Nina, even if we were taking a break from each other.

"Weren't you supposed to be keeping an eye on him?" Kaleb said facing Lee.

"Hey, in my defense, I had an emergency at work and when I left he was asleep." Lee said.

"How the hell did he end up in bed with that girl?"

"The fuck if I know. He came home the next day and said that he crashed at a nearby hotel. And what was Jace talking about? What pictures?"

I spaced out after that. I didn't care what they were saying, there were too much things going on in my head.

I couldn't get her face out of my mind. She looked so hurt, so broken. And worst, I was the reason.

I know that I betrayed her, but it wasn't like I did it on purpose. I would never hurt her like that.

Never.

~*~

Nina Maxfield

"Hey."

I looked up from my bed and saw Carmen.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" I said hoarsely as I sat up.

"Tony called me. He told me what happened last night. He came by awhile ago and tried to cheer you up, but all you wanted to do was stay in bed."

"Yeah, that sounds about right." I said laying back in bed.

She sighed and walked in sitting on my bed. "Nina. I know you're hurt, but you can't do this to yourself. I know how you feel, trust me. I've had a lot of fights with Matthew over the years."

I looked at her. "Yeah, but you guys are made for each other. And it's not like he cheated on you." I mumbled the last part hoping she wouldn't hear.

She chuckled lightly. "Yeah, he never cheated on me, but there was one time that I wanted to divorce him."

"What?" I said as my eyes widened. "Seriously?"

She nodded. "Yeah, it was that bad. Colby wasn't born yet at that time and we recently just got married. Yeah, I know, we just got married and I already wanted a divorce after a few months."

I couldn't imagine Matt and Carmen not being together.

"The fight was really, really bad that I couldn't be in the same country as him. I needed some time alone, away, to think. So, I packed up and went to my cousin, who lived in Greece. I stayed there for a few months and thought about everything. Jake would occasionally call and ask how I was doing, then he called almost everyday. After awhile I got him to admit that it was Matt who made him call me and check up on me. I would ask how Matt was doing, and he said he's been miserable. I came back during Jake's birthday celebration and knew that he was gonna be there. We talked things out, he admitted how much he missed me, and how bad he feels after our fight. He said that he loved me and would do anything for Colby and I. Of course after being away for a long time, I got to clear my head and I realized how much I missed him and that I loved him too much to let even a serious fight break us apart."

I sighed deeply. "That just proves you're made for each other." I muttered.

She chuckled. "Sweetie, what I'm trying to say is that Jake loves you a lot. You're the first girl he's let back into his life after the whole situation with that girl. He was blinded by his hatred towards Tony. Then he saw you defending him, jealousy was added to his hatred."

"He was being stupid."

"I never said he was being smart." she said chuckling.

I sighed and buried my face in my pillow.

"You need to get out of bed. I will not allow you to rot here."

I groaned. "Not today."

She sighed defeated. "Fine. I guess you deserve to sulk for today."

Thank you.

"I'll leave you alone, as long as you promise me two things." She added making me groan in my head.

I was tempted. I wanted to be left alone today to sulk in my misery.

"Depends." I muffled in my pillow.

"I want you to eat, at least a meal today, or you can even stuff your face in ice cream for all I care, as long as you eat." she said pointedly.

I guess I could live a day with just junk food, and a lot of chocolate. I groaned. "Fine."

"Second, it's Colby's birthday tomorrow—"

"Carmen." I complained not allowing her to finish.

"Hush. You better go tomorrow or so help me I will make Tony and Kaleb drag you there." she threatened. "Come on, Nina. Do it for Colby. He wants you there."

I love that little booger, but I don't know if I'm stable enough to go tomorrow. I groaned. "I'll think about it."

"Yeah, you're going."

I sighed and waved her off. "Whatever."

"Okay, I'll leave you to sulk now."

I swear she could be such a teenager sometimes instead of a mother.

I felt her get off my bed and heard her walk to the door.

"Carmen." I called making her turn. "Thanks."

She smiled at me. "Just call me if you need me."

I nodded and smiled lightly.

I sighed. I missed my mom. I wonder what she would say to me right now.

~*~

"Nina, so help me I will drag you out of your bed and to the party." Jace threatened.

I groaned. "Jace I'm in no mood to go anywhere."

"You didn't even leave your bed yesterday!"

I groaned and stuffed my face in my pillow. "Just tell them I'm sick. Give Colby his gift for me."

"Oh, no. I'll tell Colby the truth."

I glared at him. "You wouldn't. It'll ruin his birthday."

"It'll ruin your relationship with him." he said smirking.

We had a staring contest for a while. In the end I groaned and stood up.

"You are a heartless monster."

"Hey, I'm the one making the kid happy by bringing you along. If he didn't love you so much, you think I would force you to come?"

He does have a point. Like I'm gonna say that to him, he's only gonna rub it in my face.

I glared at him as I went in the bathroom and slammed the door.

"I am so glad I didn't need to make someone drag you out of your room." Carmen said hugging me.

I groaned. "Just be happy I'm here."

We pulled away and she smiled amusedly at me. "I am. You guys might wanna change unless you want to go in the pool like that."

"Who said I was swimming?"

"Tony and Matt." she said smirking.

Before I could ask, she looked at someone behind me, another guest perhaps, and walked to greet them.

I groaned and Jace and I went to the dressing rooms.

They reserved the whole place, so we got the locker rooms to ourselves. Carmen giving each of us a key to our own locker.

I changed out of my clothes and into my faded denim shorts, a black tank, a white button down shirt leaving it open and rolling the sleeves to my elbows and my black flip flops. I put the key around my neck since it had string, grabbed my phone and Colby's present and walked out of the dressing room.

I walked into the room where the party was being held and damn was that pool huge.

Of course being December, the pool was inside with heaters.

There were already a lot of kids swimming and some were still dry as they played some games by the make shift booths.

There were tables and chairs to the side and a tarpaulin on the wall that read 'Happy Birthday, Colby!'.

The pools were big with slides and diving platforms. There was a line that separated where the kids could play cause the other side was too deep for them, and only adults could go in that side of the pool.

"Well, look who finally came out of hiding."

I turned to face the annoying person and punched his arm.

"Ow! What? I was just saying." he defended.

"No. You were just annoying." I said rolling my eyes.

He smiled and shook his head.

I noticed that he was wearing red board shorts and a white v-neck that hugged his body showing his muscular form.

"Nice to see you out, violent." he teased as he slung his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in for a side hug.

"Ugh. I just arrived, Tony. Stop annoying me." I said trying to get out of his right grip, a smile crawling on my lips.

He chuckled and wrapped his other arm around me hugging me tighter.

"Tony!" I complained trying to push him off.

He chuckled and eventually let go.

I glared at him and punched him, but he dodged it in time, so I hit him upside the head which he didn't get to dodge.

"Nina." he complained rubbing his head.

I just smiled sweetly. "Your fault."

"You'll pay-"

"Nina!" I turned to see Colby rubbing towards me.

I opened my arms and caught him twirling him around making him giggle. "Hey, birthday boy!"

"I thought you weren't gonna make it." he said pouting.

"Why wouldn't I? I even brought you a gift." I said as I handed him the gift box I was holding.

His eyes widened and sparkled and he had a huge smile on his face. "Yay!" He said excitedly as he got the gift and then wrapped his arms around me. "Thanks, Nina!"

I chuckled. "You're welcome, Colby."

"I'm gonna show this to mommy. See you later, Nina!" He said rubbing of to his mom.

"As I was saying." Tony said making me turn to him. He had a mischievous look on his face making my eyes widened.

I ran from him and I heard him call me back.

I saw the others and ran to them. "Lee!" I called as I grabbed his arms and swung him around making him as a shield.

"Whoa! What is happening?"

"Tony's trying to murder me." I said taking a hold of Lee's arms and blocking Tony.

"Come here, Nina!"

"Tony, stop trying to kill Nina." Kaleb scolded.

"Yeah, stop bullying my girl." Jace said.

Tony groaned then glared at everyone. "You all suck."

I smiled triumphantly. "Don't mess with me."

I caught a glimpse of brown hair and blue eyes and I looked to his direction.

Jake was talking to Matt and Carmen, smiling as Matt chuckled at what he said.

He turned and we made eye contact. There were bags under his eyes and he looked a bit pale, but it wasn't noticeable unless you're with him most of the time.

We stared at each other for a few seconds, that felt like minutes. Letty must've noticed because she spoke up making me look away.

"Hey, let's go play some games." Letty said excitedly as she grabbed my hand and pulled me to the booths. "Come on guys!"

"I saw that. Are you okay?" She said soft enough to make sure that only we could hear since the others were behind us.

I gave her a forced smile. "Yeah. I'm fine."

She gave me a small smile. "Come on let's play this to get your mind off things."

We were in the booth were we had to use a dart to pop a balloons that were on the wall. We got five darts each and we win a small stuff toy if we get at least four.

I got my darts and started throwing them at the balloons. After my third throw I still didn't pop any.

I groaned. "I suck at this."

Tony chuckled. "I think that's obvious."

I glared at him. "Let's see you do it then."

He smirked and got five darts from the person managing the booth.

He shot one and popped a balloon. He looked at me and smugly smirked.

I rolled my eyes. He looked back at the balloons and threw another one and then another one. He shot two balloons, making it three all in all.

"You suck. I wanted that small panda." I said crossing my arms as I looked at the small panda on the shelf with the other stuffed toys.

He chuckled then grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him. "Come on you big baby."

He positioned me in front of him and he was behind me as he placed a dart in my hand.

"Okay, so first you get the dart and hold it like this." he said positioning my hand.

I elbowed his ribs. "I know how to hold a dart, weirdo."

He chuckled and rubbed the spot I hit. "I was kidding. Okay, let's shoot."

I held the dart and he held my hand and practically moved it so it would pop the balloon.

"Oh my god, I got one!" I said happily.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Last dart."

I grabbed the dart and he held my hand again and threw the dart hitting another balloon.

"Yes!" I said pumping my fists into the air.

"Hey, Jace. How old is your sister again?" Tony teased making me elbow him.

"Since you got all five, here, you get two." the guy behind the booth said handing me two pandas.

"Thanks." I said smiling cheekily at him.

I turned to Tony. "Here you go!"

"What's this?" He said chuckling as he got the panda.

"The guy gave me two, so you can have the other one. I already have mine." I said holding up my panda.

"And what am I gonna do with this?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. Sleep with it since you're all alone in your loft and we both know how lonely you get when I don't stop over to make your life fun." I teased making the others chuckle.

He glared at me and then smirked. "Great idea. This way you don't have to come to my house anymore." he said then looked at the panda. "I'll call you Patches."

That made me burst out into laughter. "What?"

"Yeah! Cause the black and white look like patches."

"How old are you again?" Jace asked making Tony roll his eyes and punch Jace on the arm.

"Hey, there's mini golf!" Kaleb said.

I smirked as an idea came into my head. "Let's go!"

We all went to the mini gold area and got our clubs and different colored golf balls.

"Do you even know how to play golf?" Tony teased.

I smiled in my head. Let's get this started.

"Yes, I do." I said over confidently.

Tony gave me a look making me sigh defeatedly.

"Okay. I don't know how." I said glaring at him.

He chuckled lightly and shook his head. "Come on." he said grabbing my hand and placing his club on the ground.

He went behind me and positioned me on how to hold and strike the ball.

At the corner of my eyes I could see Jake glare at us, but I just brushed him off. I was having a good time and I'm not gonna let him ruin it, so I went back to concentrating on striking the ball.

After the game I left Tony's jaw hanging. I was pretending that I don't know how to play golf and I ended up being first, Jace being second, and Tony came in third.

"Nina, I officially hate you." Tony said glaring at me.

I smiled cheekily at him. "Oh, come on you sore loser, you know you love me."

Before he could say anything Matt announced that it was time to blow the candle.

We gathered around the birthday boy as Matt was lighting up the seven candles.

Once he was done I took out my phone and started taking pictures as we all sang the birthday song.

Once he blew the candles we all cheered. I put my phone back in my pocket just in time for Tony to wipe his finger with frosting on my cheek making me gape at him.

He bursted out laughing and I glared at him.

I felt someone elbow me gently and I looked at the person to see Carmen handing me a small plastic plate with cake and a lot of frosting, a mischievous smile on her face.

I mimicked her smile and got the frosting from her. Tony was busy laughing and I quickly got frosting on my finger and wiped it on his cheek making him stop and look at me surprised.

I smirked at him and he glared at me. I saw him get some frosting from his cake and soon we were having a frosting war.

"Kaleb! Save me!" I squealed rubbing to Kaleb and using him as a shield.

"Whoa! No! Don't pull me into this." he said raising his hands so that Tony wouldn't get near him.

"Give her here, Kaleb!"

"Don't drag me into this, Nina." he growled at me.

I laughed as I continued using him as a shield.

Kaleb turned and in a swift motion I became his shield.

"Kaleb!" I squealed trying to get out of his hold. Tony was getting closer and I had to get out of his hold so I got a lot of frosting and slammed it on Kaleb's face making him let go of me.

He groaned as he wiped the frosting off. "Nina!"

I laughed as I ran from Tony, but I felt an arm around my waist making my eyes widen.

"Gotcha."

"No!" I said as I tried to get out of his hold.

He laughed as he pulled me closer and tried to put frosting on my face.

"Tony!" I said but laughed with him.

He laughed harder as he finally got the frosting on my face.

"Ugh! I hate you!" I said finally getting out of his grip and wiping my face.

"Win!" He said triumphantly as he pumped his fists into the air.

My hand was full of frosting as I wiped my face. I smirked and quickly smothered his face with it.

"Win." I said smugly.

He glared at me. "You seriously suck."

I gave him a cheeky smile and we looked towards Letty who was laughing her ass off as she looked at Kaleb who had frosting on his face and some on his shirt.

"You think this is funny?"

Letty was laughing as she nodded. "You're a mess."

He smirked mischievously at her and got some frosting from his face and went over to Letty and wiped his hand on her face making her squeal.

Letty punched his arm as Kaleb laughed.

"Ugh! You're so annoying! I'm so sticky now." She complained.

"Let's get cleaned up then." he said and quickly grabbed Letty lifting her off her feet.

"What are you doing?!"

"Getting cleaned up." he said smirking at her.

He walked to the pool and Letty screamed. "Don't you dare, Kaleb! I will drown you!"

Kaleb just laughed and stopped at the edge of the pool as Letty tries to get out of his hold.

"Hold your breath."

"Noooo-" she screamed as Kaleb jumped and they hit the pool.

We were all laughing at them and I noticed that Jace and Jade were now beside us laughing as well.

"I should've caught that on camera." Jace said laughing.

Jade and I made eye contact and we both knew what was gonna happen.

While Jace and Tony were busy laughing at Letty who was trying to drown Kaleb, we went behind them quietly and kicked them in the water making them yelp out in surprise.

Jade and I were laughing so hard that I was clutching my stomach and Jade was bended over.

The boys resurfaced and glared at us. Jade and I high-fived and smiled at them cheekily and walked away to where Carmen was.

She shook her head at us with an amused smirk on her face. "Very mature, ladies."

Jade and I smiled at her sheepishly.

"Sorry, couldn't help it."

She shook her head and held out her hands. "And for that, I am confiscating your phones."

"Seriously. People are getting wet, last thing we need are broken gadgets. Luckily, I already got the boy's phones before things started getting messy." she said smiling as she shrugged.

She's got a point. The kids had water guns and are getting random people wet already.

I got out my phone and so did Jade and we gave them to her.

"Thank you." she said and keeping them in her bag which was water proof.

"I feel so sticky." I complained wiping my face, but ended up smudging it more.

I had a lot on my face and some in my neck. Some were on my clothes which annoyed the hell out of me cause now I'm gonna feel sticky till the party ends, even if I wash my face.

Jade chucked beside me. "Yeah, I think that's obvious."

I narrowed my eyes at her and swiped my finger, the one with frosting, down her cheek.

"Nina!" She complained slapping my hand away making me laugh.

"You suck." she said glaring at me as she pokes my sides making me squeal.

I hate it when they do that. I'm super ticklish on my sides, it makes me jump two feet in the air and land a meter away.

"Stop!" I squealed laughing. "Jade!"

She continued poking me while laughing evilly.

I turned swiftly to try to run from her but ended up hitting a chest, he grabbed hold of my arms steadying me and from the sparks that shot through my arms I knew exactly who it was.

I looked up to see those blue eyes that lost their shine over the past few days.

"Sorry." I muttered and pulled away from him, his hands slipping away and the sparks were gone. I turned back to Jade who was awkwardly standing there. I got her wrist and pulled her. "Come on, let's get some dessert."

As we walked away I let go of Jade and continued walking. I couldn't help but think that I would still get sparks when he touched me, even after everything that's happened.

I gasp as my back got soaked and wet arms wrapped around me.

"Well, that was awkward, huh?" Tony said.

I groaned and squirmed, trying to get out of his grip. "Shut up, Tony."

He chuckled and let go making me turn to him and glare.

He was soaking wet and he took his shirt off showing his muscles chest and six pack.

"Done checking me out?" He said smugly.

I scoffed. "You wish."

He chuckled. "Let's get you cleaned up, shall we?" He said, his eyes glinting with mischief.

My eyes widened as he slung me over his shoulder.

"Tony!" I squealed as he ran to the pool as I tried getting out of his hold. I pounded and kicked which made my flip flops fall off my feet. "Put me down!"

I heard another squeal which made me look in that direction. Jace had Jade over his shoulder and he was laughing as he headed towards us.

"To the diving platform!" Jace announced.

My eyes widened. "Tony!" I screamed bloody murder as I pounded on his back.

I saw stairs as he started climbing. Jade was screaming and threatening Jace.

"Jace I swear I will break up with you!" She threatened as Jace put her down but didn't let her feet touch the ground.

Once Tony did that to me I snapped my head to Jade and my brother. "You're together and you didn't bother telling me?!"

Jace looked at me sheepishly then looked at Tony. "Jump."

Tony held me tight as me eyes widened and he launched off the platform together with Jade and Jace.

I screamed bloody hell all the way down.

Once we hit the water Tony kept a firm arm around my waist as he swam us up and resurfaced.

I gasped for air and I heard cheering and laughter. I looked to the side and saw a lot of people cheering for Jace and Tony, who in turn bump fists.

Jade and I exchanged glances and together we tried drowning the stupid boys.

"Ahh, Nina!"

"I'm gonna kill you!" I said as he tried swimming away.

"Yeah, I think it's obvious." he said laughing.

I am so gonna drown him and hopefully kill him in the process.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 50 41
So, this is a story about the dreams of my friends. My friend gets shot, and me and my other friends has to protect her. She is the key to a treasure...
1.1K 25 25
"Elle, why? Are you not happy here? Am I doing something wrong...?" His voice seemed to break when he was asking that last question. "No, it's not yo...
123K 4.7K 34
My luck with a guy has been sucks for a while. My friend told me that maybe I need to try a new way. I always take everything seriously in relationsh...
1.4K 34 50
Madison's pov. Part 1 My mother and father are good people. We live in a nice house, my mother and father have two kids, me, and my sister Lexie. Mom...