Ishq Kinara[Love Ashore] Comp...

By AimmyB

Five people. Five lives. Five tales. Each of them is struggling through life and these struggles aren't somet... More

Character Aesthetics
Prologue
1. Abay Saalo'n!
2. A bunch of idiots
3. A regular Sunday
4. Changes
5. Shift
6. Realizations
8. Friends
9. Life
10. Clear Waters
11. Not Quite A Heartbreak
12. Too Much Work
13. Heart Ties
14. November
15. Not So Normal
16. Ashore
17. Serendipity
18. Dive
19. Horizon
20. Promise
21. Epiphany
22. Crown
23. Fall
24. Aurora
25A: Someday
25B. Everyday
26. Steady
27. Ripple
28. Crashing Down
29. Decisions
30. Crevice
31. Souvenir
32. Waves
33. Echo
34. Sinking Ships
35. Losing Grip
36. Fading
37. Unsaid
38. Ships in the night
39. Far from the shore
40. Life as it comes
41. Reminiscing
42. Homecoming
43. Warm
44. The same place
45. Changes and Constants
46. Traces
47. Start Over
48. Shore to the sea
49. Fall into place
50A. Love Ashore [Last]
50B. Love Ashore[Last]
Epilogue
Thank you Note
Bonus: Still Ashore
Bonus # 2: Then and Now
Once Upon a January

7. Conundrum

2.9K 321 378
By AimmyB

The last house in that particular lane of Jauhar was as calm as the night itself. The outside perimeter was submerged into darkness. Not eerie, calm in a way only a serene night air could provide. The only source of light was coming from the room on the upper floor.

Elaf played with the corner of her open book when her mind wasn't able to register anything written on it. She was far too preoccupied for something as normal yet as tiring as studying. She didn't know why she even bothered sitting down to start with her mids preparation. What happened today was going to make her rake her brain sooner or later and now it did.

Mishal was the first friend she made in the university and the only one until they were joined by Rabea and Marwa. They all had their own areas of expertise and unfortunately Mishal and Elaf's arenas to play contrasted heavily with each other. Where Elaf was proficient in gestures, body language and expressions of face, Mishal was a pro at understanding the concepts of mechanical engineering. She was the best in the class after, of course Sarim Haider.

Elaf knew Mishal and she were very different from each other but it never proved to be a problem. Not even when Elaf was approached by Professor Kaleem to be a part of his dramatics and literacy society. Things started changing when Elaf started getting noticed for her performances. Studying was never a problem because Elaf had never been the make-a-schedule-study-everyday kind of person. She had a habit of piling up her work but even at the last moment she'd do it. She wasn't a star student, not by any means, but she wasn't that bad either.

It pained that Mishal tried guilt tripping her today that too about something Mishal knew was her sore point. Her father and her passion for theater. Two extremes of her life.

There weren't many reasons why Elaf had hidden this aspect of her life from her parents. They were supportive, supportive than many to think of it. But Elaf knew at a point even supportive parents have a way of telling you off for something they don't approve of.

Daud had.

Elaf was in her sixth standard when she won the house with her performance on school annual day. There were two reports with which she had come home, one of her academic performance and the other of her extra curriculum. When she had shown those to her parents, particularly Daud, he had very conveniently put down the sheet which had accolades written for her on it; instead all his focus was on her various subjects and her performance in those. He asked her about her weak points, contemplated on tuition with Yusra and even patted her head on full marks in history, but not for once his focus went to the discarded sheet of paper on the table.

Elaf's heart broke a little that day. Then it started happening more often. There was a clear disregard for her love for dramatics from Daud. Yusra had embraced her daughter's talent with open arms but that validation never came from Daud. He didn't stop her from anything but like everything regarding her, he wasn't involved in this aspect of her life. It kept on going all her school years.

Elaf's getting into IST that too in the engineering faculty was more a dream of Daud's than Elaf's. Sitting in their famous complicated admission test and passing it, then getting a seat in mechanical engineering department was something Elaf did as it was expected out of her. Daud had been preparing her for this since she was in high school. Theater had taken a backseat in her life for that first six months of university and that was the time Elaf knew theater could never be a career option for her. Her father would never like that. It would always be something she was good at, loved doing and a hobby of sorts. But nothing more than that.

But few days later she was approached by Professor Kaleem and after joining his society, her skills polished some more. She was already a star in this area and now she was a pro. But still she knew her limits. She knew her limitations as well. Theater became a kind of sanctuary for her. A way of getting out of this mundane life and live a little. She never told her parents about her being a part of Dramatics society or being famous on her campus for her acting skills. She knew it didn't matter. She didn't want her parents, particularly Daud to end this for her, the small heaven of her dreams she had woven for herself. He won't ever scold her, that was written off in Daud Durrani's dictionary. His only daughter was someone he would never show his anger to. But Elaf was aware of her love for her father and seeing him expecting her to drop theater, she'd do it. And she wasn't ready for that. After university she was never going to get a chance to go on stage and entrance the audience, live a character, go into the other dimension of dreams, clouds, smiles and hope.

Mishal had tried making her feel bad about something she wasn't already happy about. Hiding things about her life from her parents was something Elaf never liked doing but here she was just safeguarding something which gave her happiness. She was just plucking the moments of her joy. And it wasn't hurting anyone.

Everyone knew this arrangement wasn't for the long run. Theater was just her hobby.

But in her heart she knew it was the thing for her. It was her area. Her arcade. But Alas.

Shaking her head, she turned back to her book marking some points she was going to look up on Google after reading the page. She had to be a good engineer and get a decent job. No biggie. She could do it. The carved path. The ordinary path for someone extra ordinary.

It was okay.

All okay.

________

Tossing and turning on his bed, Sarim finally sat up straight. He raked a hand through his hair and got up walking out of his room.

Standing in the sliding door leading to the patio, he looked at the starry sky which was shining above Malir cantonment. The only semblance of something normal and common in this area of elites of the city. He quite never liked this neighborhood. They were too self-absorbed for his liking.

Just like Brigadier Nauman Haider who was going to marry off his daughter after ruling over her life for years like she wasn't a living being but something which was solely brought to this world to do his bidding.

It had been three days since he had come to know about Irma's agreeing for this alliance and only today his mother broke it to him that the coming Sunday Mohid and his family weren't coming for fixing the date but for the Nikkah as well. A tiny detail which both the fathers decided over a phone call and then forwarded the command to those beneath them, their wives, kids and bride and groom in question.

Sarim had reservations to this haste. He wanted Irma to meet Mohid and get to know him more, to build a kind of bonding with him which would help them in their married life but here his parents were surely going by the speed of a bullet.

Nothing was going according to how he wanted to and this was frustrating. Irma was one of the most important people in her life, his sister, his support system and someone who deserved the world and now seeing her choosing to be happy, he still couldn't brush off the feeling of this not working. He could sense the vibe and it wasn't nice.

But Irma was happy. After years he was seeing her like this. Her in laws doted on her and she had talked to Mohid one or two times. Seemed like that also went well.

It pained Sarim how she was setting for the bare minimum. He didn't want that. He wanted her to stand her ground but seemed like there wasn't any ground, just the clouds of her dreams and hopes. At this point he could just hope his every intuition was wrong and this was Irma's happy ever after.

But even Sarim Haider didn't know that he wasn't a fool. He was seeing this world for what it was, getting firsthand experience on its working. But this world often tunes out the ones with a sane voice and makes them a background noise.

___________

Hesham leaned into his beanbag seat and pushed the remote away. He was tired after a hectic day at the university but sleep still eluded him. He tried watching television, surfing through internet, even standing in the lawn of Baig Residence and looking over the bland DHA street but nothing could work for him.

He had met Safwa numerous times after that conversation. Everything was the same but something had shifted. Not everywhere else, within him. He had started questioning things he never thought he would.

Safwa and him, that was something which just happened. There wasn't any awakening moment to tell them that's it! This was their cue. It was something they both still couldn't explain. Their comfort for each other had prompted them to take this step forward and start seeing each other. Neither the friendship not their equation got affected by this decision. In fact it brought just good changes. His father and Bisma auntie were the happiest on this new development. Both him and Safwa were also contended that they were into this.

But now many doubts were raising their head in him. Questions he himself wasn't sure he should ask or not. But it had unsettled him. Really did unsettle him. And he didn't want it to upset Safwa. The last thing he'd ever want to do to her would be making her sad over something he was confused about. Safwa was the first friend of his life. Someone who was there for him and with him since they both were practically babies. They had grown up together. Both had faced the same pain of losing loved ones. Safwa had lost her parents and he had lost his mother. This shared grief had added to their bonding strengthening it some more.

When he had told his father about him and Safwa going further with their just friends tag, he had laughed. Told him he was actually waiting for them to announce it sooner because this was something which he always expected out of them.

But now, he was feeling his father and Bisma had a big role in this development. It was natural. Seeing them so close to each other since childhood, both Bisma and Atif had assumed that they were in for a long run and for about two years now Hesham did as well.

But now he had doubts.

He had questions about both him and Safwa and all of those were legit.

He didn't want to burden Safwa with this. Not when he himself was oscillating between so much. He wouldn't go to Safwa till he himself figured it out.

And that was the hardest part.

Figuring out.

_________

Closing his the door of his grandfather's room, Izaan stood silently in the TV lounge and sighed. Spending time with Abba was always such a relief. The old man had a way of giving both solutions and confusions to Izaan without him even asking for them.

As Izaan entered his room, his eyes fell on the open window. He had left it like that. His room was on the far edge of this two storey house in Gulshan and the ventilation wasn't that good here. Still he liked it because the window proved to be the excellent solution for that, Abba's suggestion. As always.

Picking up his books from the side table, Izaan fell deep in thoughts. His on the verge of getting empty wallet was right to the corner of his side table and he needed to think how to get the money again which he had given to Ibsam. He couldn't ask from his parents. No one better than him knew how it would put a strain to the already tight budget this month.

Izaan wasn't someone to be deterred by financial crisis. He had always seen his parents struggling to meet ends. Baba had a flare for business but his cloth shop never provided much for a family of six. His mother had never taught her kids being ungrateful neither she herself was one to let these issues get to her head. This understanding between his parents was the thing which kept them going for a big part of their lives.

When he got to high school, he knew for further studies, that too in good institutions, he'd have to work hard. And work hard he did. All his high school life and then pre medical, he was on scholarship and that chain didn't break in medical school as well. He was among the only five students who were studying in the top notched medical school of the city with a full funded scholarship. This was all on his hard work. Three years into his MBBS and he was among the top students of his class as well. His professors knew he would make a competent doctor, surgeon to be precise because that's what he wanted his specialization to be in.

He had never backed away from hard work, his whole life was a proof of it. But sometimes he wondered what it must feel to be the person who had everything sorted. Someone who had things going for them and didn't have to struggle the way he was struggling. But that'd happen only once in a while. He'd soon pull his head out of these thoughts. This was something he had always stopped his brothers from doing. Being ungrateful for what they had. This was his parents' values, this was what his Abba had always taught him. Self-made men and women make this world a bit realistic. And he was going to be one of those. He wasn't ashamed of who he was and he'd never question it.

Picking up his phone he dialed Kumail's number. He had mentioned about an academy which needed a substitute Biology tutor in the evening. This was Izaan's chance to earn his money back because he had to survive this month and that won't happen without that. Money, the necessity no matter how much you are told it's not that important.

_______

The pros on living at the edge of Clifton is, you get the feeling of being close to the sea and the thought itself is soothing in its own way. The salty air of the room fell on the scattered belonging on the bed and to Safwa's hair as well who was sitting cross legged eyeing her music and book collection.

The conversation with Hesham two days back had reminded her of this dream she had seen with open eyes when she was in her teens. She wanted to be a coffee house owner with 90's music slowly infusing in the air and books in their ornate baskets to the side of every table.

This was her goal, the biggest one for a very long time. But with time people evolve, thinking changes and you often realize how unrealistic few of your life plans are. She also did. This business needed her. Though she was sure she didn't have her father's acumen and her aunt's resilience in taking this company forward, but this was expected out of her. She had enrolled herself in IST's business school for this only.

But still wishes have a very sneaky way of coming right in front of you and yelling 'gotcha'. Her wish was also right there in front of her on her bed.

All these cassettes and books were her collection, only one of these was a gift. A gift given to her by Izaan Shoaib who had picked on her fleeting mention when she was telling him about her music collection and how she couldn't find that one Strings album in cassette form.

Safwa picked it up and caressed it slowly.

Wishes have a weird way of announcing their presence, Like right now she wanted to have a conversation with Izaan. He had solved one of her confusions the night he gave her this cassette, he might solve more of hers.

But some wishes just can't be fulfilled.

________

Elaf looked through the car window at the looming Durrani house and leaned more into her seat. It was the last Sunday before her exams and keeping her promise of visiting her grandmother in his mind, her father had decided today they'd spend the whole day at Durrani house only.

Elaf knew this Sunday was already ruined but she didn't have the heart to refuse her father. So, here they were, Daud, Yusra and Elaf parking their car in the large garage of the old Durrani house the memories of which weren't pleasant for Yusra. She had had many arguments here with her mother in law and her sister in law. But this wasn't the time to think all this. They were here to have a good day surrounded by the people Daud loved and longed for so both Elaf and Yusra knew they'd have to try their best so this meeting won't suck.

The welcome they had gotten was encouraging. Being a Sunday, almost everyone was home and was gathered in the main hall in the center of which the daybed of Mrs Bilqees Durrani was placed upon which she'd sat majority of the hours of the day like a queen. And queen she was, of this house. Not even a leaf could rustle here without her permission. Only years back her son had married without it and she couldn't still let it go.

Elaf greeted her grandmother and bent down to take her blessings in the form of a caress on her head. Mrs. Bilqees smiled at her which was her effort. She made her sit close to her on the daybed and now Elaf was the center of attention of the whole Durrani clan.

This wasn't something Elaf was new to. Being the center of attention but seeing them all so interested in her was borderline annoying. Okay it was full-fledged annoying.

"Am I going to be interrogated?"

Her Taya Abu was the first person to laugh at her question. Many more smiles were thrown her way mingled with a few grimaces.

"Today you aren't."

He replied and that was the cue. The conversation flew in after that. Yusra was talking to Tayi Jaan and it could be seen how awkward this was for both the women who had never been civil with each other the brief time Yusra had lived in this house after her marriage.

But the happiest was Daud, sitting among his people, his family and that moment Elaf felt it was worth it. The awkwardness and the weird glances. Everything was worth it if it meant her father was smiling so genuinely.

"You are quiet today. I can't see the fire I saw that day."

Mrs. Bilqees said eyeing her granddaughter. Elaf smiled.

"I don't breathe fire on Sundays. Baba's home you know."

Mrs. Bilqees narrowed her eyes. This girl was way too loud mouthed for her own good. Sassy as well.

"Ealf Beta! Why are you sitting with us oldies? Go to the young party. They all are in Sabeera's room."

Elaf didn't have to be told twice. She dashed towards an elated Areeba who was standing close to the stairs.

"Taya Abu is such a killjoy. Your and Dado's epic clash was about to begin but he had to interrupt."

"Stop enjoying it!"

Elaf laughed as they both rounded the corner. The house was big and the long hallway was opening into rooms. Sabeera's was the last.

When Elaf entered inside Areeba pulled her arm as she was saying something but Elaf's focus was on a heavily pregnant Sabeera who was smiling her way. Apart from being an excellent student, Sabeera also was a kind person and one of Elaf's favorite among her cousins.

"How are you? It's been so long I've met you in person!"

Sabeera exclaimed patting the place close to her on the bed. Elaf sat down. The frustration on coming here was slowly dissolving. She was surrounded by Areeba and Sabeera, two cousins she could actually have a conversation without being judged.

"I'm good! How are you and how's the baby?"

Sabeera patted her bump.

"Seems good to me."

"The way you eat, yes good."

Areeba piped in earning a scoff from Sabeera. Soon they were talking about everything under the sun.

"So engineering hun?"

Sabeera asked and Elaf nodded.

"When you got admission in IST I was so happy for you. Will you try for getting a job?"

"Baba will disown me if I won't. He says what's the use of a degree if you can't utilize it properly. Degrees aren't just for show. Baba's words not mine."

She grinned but it soon turned into a worry filled expression. Sabeera was suddenly looking lost.

"Api?"

"Chachu is right. Degrees are surely not just for the show."

There was a pain in the way she had said it. Elaf wanted to do anything to take her words back but Sabeera was the one who had started this topic in the first place.

"You can always go back to the hospital once the baby's born."

Sabeera chuckled.

"As if my mother in law will let me. She'll make an issue out of it like she does about everything."

Sabeera was frustrated and sad. Elaf could understand her plight. An excellent student who had a bright future as a doctor in front of her and now she was reduced to someone who was bearing kids when her husband wasn't even around.

"Tayi Ammi should talk to your mother in law then?"

"She will never say anything to her. You know the pressure of being the mother of a daughter, a married one."

Elaf felt bad. How Tayi Ammi wasn't siding by Sabeera in this matter? Areeba touched her shoulder in warning. Elaf knew what she meant. She was meddling into something related to Tayi and her family and this could cause problems. Areeba started diverting their attention away from the topic and in few minutes they were joined by the other girls of Durrani house, some who liked Elaf and some who didn't. But there was a range of conversation going in the room which was interrupted only by the arrival of Tayi who had come to call them for the lunch.

As Elaf was walking past her she was stopped and looked up at her Tayi's face.

"You should've gone for medical. There's not much scope for girls in engineering."

Elaf smiled bitterly.

"People make scope, Tayi Jee. Even in medical if the doctors aren't sent to the hospitals then where's the scope?"

Ambreen didn't have to ask where she had hit. Her eyes had narrowed but Elaf was already gone.

Not realizing this one comeback was going hit her right in the head in just few hours.

_____

Sarim played with the cuff of his white kurta and looked seriously at the men sitting in front of him. Sajjad uncle was in a casual conversation with Nauman Haider while Mohid was sitting silent but with a small smile on his face. He was sending the same smile Sarim's way which he was returning but not fully. To some distance few other relatives of Sajjad were sitting who also had come for the Nikkah.

The Moulvi Sahab was checking the Nikkah papers. He was eyeing Sarim disdainfully every now and then. Sarim snorted. The man was wry of him after he had stopped him from crossing out few clauses of Nikkak Nama.

"I think it's time. Moulvi Sahab, start the process."

The men stood up, since Sarim was going to be on Irma's side on her insistence, he was to go with them but he stopped.

"I think first we should talk about some matters."

His clear voice was heard in the Haider residence living room. Sajjad turned to Nauman with a raised eyebrow.

"What kind of matters?"

"We should sit down, uncle."

Sarim knew Sajjad was asking from Nauman, thinking of Sarim as a stupid boy but Sarim hadn't come here to be shut up.

"Sarim!"

Nauman's warning tone reached him but he was unfazed. He had long stopped being afraid of his father's anger.

"There's no harm in hearing him out, uncle."

Mohid suggested. The old men sat down but grumpily. Sarim looked at their faces and started.

"Before the Nikkah is done, I want to have some things cleared."

"As in?"

Mohid was the one who took matters in his hand as it was his Nikkah only.

"In the clause 17 Irma should be given the security of working after marriage if she wants to. And in the clause 18, she should be given the right to divorce."

These were not words. It was a bomb which Sarim had dropped in his own living room. Sajjad was looking furious, Mohid raised an eyebrow but nothing could come close to the fury Nauman was feeling. This boy! Always doing his own thing!

"Your son is in his senses right, Nauman? Are these your conditions as well?"

Nauman shook his head.

"Sarim! Get out of here."

"Why? I'm not asking anything out of ordinary. This is Irma's right."

"Oh, Young man! When you'll get married you can take as many demands from your wife as you please! But this isn't your call to make!"

Sajjad held a finger in his direction.

"That's a given because Islam gives her this right to demand anything out of me through this piece of paper. But right now we are talking about my sister."

"Did Irma ask you to put these demands forward?"

Mohid asked. Sarim stopped and then shook his head.

"No, it's all on me. But I don't think so what I've asked here from you is something that can't be considered."

Mohid was deep in thought. He hadn't lost his calm like Sajjad neither was he shooting daggers at Sarim like Nauman. Before both the young lads could come to a mutual agreement, Nauman had held Sarim's arm and asked him in his threatening tone to get lost from here.

On seeing him defiantly standing his ground, Nauman gestured his guests and instead of making Sarim get lost they left the living room. Sarim knew he had caused a distress but this was his way of ensuring his sister's happiness. He was about to go after them when he was stopped by a furious Farwa.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"Is demanding something which isn't wrong lawfully and Islamically makes me crazy?"

"Your sister hasn't been married yet and you are talking about divorce!"

"I'm talking about a possibility which is there in every marriage. I'm just giving her an easy way out if she ever faces this!"

"How sure you are that this will come to that! Aren't you seeing how happy Irma is after ages? Do you not like her being contended with her life for once!"

"Rich coming from you and Baba, Ammi! Need I remind you who's been the reason of happiness eluding Irma all these years?"

Farwa closed her eyes and then opened them again.

"Stay away from this Nikkah! You've caused enough damage already! Let them do what they are doing!"

He had an idea this was going to end up this way. He knew his father and Sajjad uncle would never agree on these terms. Even if they did for the first one, they'd never for the second. It was a long shot which he had tried playing for his sister.

Farwa had gone from there and Sarim didn't have in his heart to go to Irma yet. But he had to. He took  steady steps and stood outside the room Irma was in right now. He knocked at the door and entered inside.

Irma gave a very angry look to him.

"You shouldn't have..."

"I've heard this already!"

"Why are you going out of your way to ensure I have security in this marriage?"

"I'm your brother. Ensuring this is my duty."

"You should've told me."

"Yeah right so that you wouldn't even let me go out of this room let alone sitting there and putting across my demands."

"Sarim, you can't always save me."

He felt his throat constricted. He wanted to. He wanted to always be there for her. Save her. Protect her. In any capacity he could.

"Moreover, I have hopes from this marriage and I can feel that things are going to turn around. Please, in your protectiveness for me don't ruin things. Baba and Moulvi Sahab will be here anytime now. I want you to be close to me, okay! And no mess up this time around."

Sarim rolled his eyes but nodded nonetheless.

He had failed. His attempt didn't succeed. Now he could only pray that Irma's optimism in this new relation would prove to be true.

Nauman and Moulvi Sahab entered inside the room and Nauman gave him the most disappointed glance he could. Sarim didn't falter. He was used to it.

The Nikkah was done without any demands. In the standard way.

Sarim's conditions were all forgotten. And everyone thought it was all for the best.

A new beginning had started for Irma. And now she just had to see what it would bring forward.

___________

Safwa pushed the book back into the shelf and looked around in search of something else. She was having a weird day. Nothing was wrong still everything was looking somewhat wrong. In this mood, the only thing which could lift her mood was book shopping so here she was.

As she rounded another corner, seeing the person in front of her she couldn't stop the smile that reached her lips.

In two long strides she had gotten to that person who was equally pleasant to see her.

_________

Izaan dropped his bag on the center table and sat down on the couch massaging his temples. He was never this inquisitive as an Fsc student. The kids he was tutoring these days were bright but they have a world of curiosity in them and answering their unending questions was a piece of work. Izaan was enjoying this but he was equally tired.

"Izzu! Here."

Memoona handed him the glass of lemonade. She knew he would be hungry so she had gone back to the kitchen to set the plate for him.

"Get fresh up! I'm just bringing you lunch."

Izaan nodded even though she was in the kitchen area and couldn't see him.

"Abba's sleeping?"

He asked seeing his the closed door of his grandfather's room.

"He's out."

"Alone?"

"No, Ibsam took him. They'd be home anytime now."

"You shouldn't have let him go! His blood pressure is fluctuating a lot these days."

"Abba and listen to someone when his precious books are concerned? He had to give back few of the ones he bought the last time. Bisharat misplaced some books from his bundle. He didn't ask you to drive you back to the book market because you've been so busy this whole week. So, Ibsam who was going to his friend's dropped him off."

"Did you specially asked him to pick Abba back while returning from his friend's? Abba can't travel by public transport, Amma! He's old!"

Memoona knew he must've gotten up from his place and she was right. He was in the kitchen with his bike keys in his hand.

"I'm going myself. I know Ibsam and his carelessness. It's Abba we are talking about! I can't believe I was not home and this blunder happened!"

Memoona didn't know whether to go all aww on his concern or scold him for worrying unnecessarily.

"You are too much, Izzu! Your Abba has seen the world! He's not a kid!"

"Whatever!"

He muttered while walking towards the main door when the doorbell rang. He covered the remaining steps in two long strides.

He left a sigh of relief seeing Kamran Ansari standing in front of him but his relief turned into shock seeing the person standing behind him.

"Hey..."

Safwa greeted him with a smile.

"Come inside, Safwa! Izaan, give us some space to move, will you?"

Izaan slid to the side and let them in.

Memoona was standing in the lounge looking at the girl curiously who had come with her father in law.

"This is Memoona. Izaan's mother and Memoona, this is Safwa. Izaan's friend and my book friend."

Safwa greeted her. Memoona nodded with a smile now but the curiosity hadn't still faded from her face. She was used to Izaan's friends coming over. But not those she hadn't met before.

"The thing is, Ibsam is useless! I had been waiting for him for half an hour now but sir must've forgotten about picking his old man. I went back inside the shop. Bisharat told me about those new volumes of poetry he had gotten from an old merchant in Urdu Bazar Lahore. I immediately went to see and that's where I bumped into Safwa. We talked for a while and then she came to know about my problem and offered to drop me off on her car. I refused but she insisted. When we stopped outside the lane, I asked her to come inside, now she refused but I insisted and here we are."

Kamran Ansari recounted the incident to them. Safwa was eyeing the people around with smile on her face. But she couldn't read Izaan's expressions. His face was blank but for Safwa who had seen him smiling around her a lot this was something to be worried about. Did he not like her coming here?

"That's great! Thank you, Safwa. Izaan here had just come back and he was getting worried for his grandfather."

Memoona got up to bring something for Safwa even though she was continuously refusing. Izaan was giving short answers to whatever his grandfather was asking.

"Here you go!"

Memoona handed the glass full of lemonade to her. Safwa politely took it with thanks.

"I know all of Izaan's friends. How come I'm seeing you and hearing about you for the first time?"

Safwa didn't know why the perfect taste of lemonade felt a bit bitter to her. Izaan never mentioned her to his family? As Hesham and her friend, she had told Bisma about Izaan and Bisma was pretty looking forward to meeting the hard working and sense talking Izaan Shoaib someday.

"You're meeting her now."

Izaan's smiled lightly in his mother's way but Safwa found it forced. Safwa's mind was telling her she should get up and go.

"It was nice meeting you all. Especially you, Uncle."

She turned to Kamran Ansari.

"But I really should go now. My phupho must be waiting for me."

Memoona tried stopping her for the lunch but she refused politely.

Being the true host which he was not all the time she was sitting there in his lounge, Izaan Shoaib had come to see her off at the gate.

"Thanks for the time and the lemonade as well. It was amazing."

She stood close to her car. The driver was already seated inside ready for her to get in.

"It's no problem."

Izaan took a step back when Safwa looked up at him.

"Just so you know, Izaan Shoaib, when someone's not welcomed, they can feel it. I'll keep this in mind."

Without waiting for his reply she had sat inside the car and asked the driver to hurry.

Her vehicle had rounded the corner in no time and Izaan Shoaib stood there in the smoke and the reverberations of her words.

_________

Hesham peaked into his father's study and making a face was about to dash from there when Atif called him inside.

"Sit down."

"I'm not in a mood of studying cases for you."

Atif shook his head. For a law student, Hesham sure as hell was not fond of case studying.

"You are in the middle of your degree. Studying cases will give you an idea of what to expect when you actually come on the field."

"I already have the idea."

Atif narrowed his eyes at his son.

"Okay. You can always study them with notion that this is important for the firm you're going to join and lead in the future."

Hesham bit his lip which didn't go unnoticed by Atif. He knew this gesture was reserved for when he wanted to say something but couldn't.

"What?"

"What, what?"

"What do you want to say?"

"I can't. You'll get mad."

"You again pulled some shit which I have to cover?"

"No, Dad! I'm a well behaved child now."

"A child nonetheless."

"The thing is...."

"Yes? Go on."

"I don't see myself working on these high profile cases."

Atif raised an eyebrow. He was expecting anything but this.

"What are you on about?"

Hesham shifted impatiently.

"I don't see myself working in your firm, Dad!"

He knew this was going to be a shocker for Atif and the same happened.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"A bit since childhood."

"This is nothing funny."

Atif was an easygoing father. Had always been but he could get strict whenever he wanted to. This was one such occasion.

"Dad, this isn't what I want to use my law degree for. I..."

"You are one confused guy, Hesham."

Rage.

Resignation

Recount

Regret

Reconciliation

Hesham knew the pattern by heart now. So it was better to let Atif get done with his rage. But he wasn't bellowing. He was just eyeing Hesham disappointingly.

"You aren't sure about joining the firm. You get frustrated when I ask you to take your and Safwa's relation seriously."

"Dad! Let's not go there!"

"Are you even ready to be a lawyer? And are you even in love with Safwa?"

And right there Hesham Baig had forgotten every counter argument he had prepared in his mind.

________

Elaf was there when after getting back from Durrani house his father had gotten the call from her Dado. She was there when her father was trying to come up with every explanation about what Elaf meant to say and what not.

Tayi Maa had created the mess. There were so many accusations. Blame on her sharp tongue, her sassy attitude, her unabashed ways, and how she was spoiled because she didn't spend life with the family in Durrani House.

She had heard it all. She had also heard the argument which had ensued between Daud and Yusra because Yusra was sure Elaf wasn't at fault while Daud was trying his best to defend his family and trying not to blame his daughter as well.

With tiredness of eons, Elaf opened her bedroom door and sat down on the bed. This was the worst Sunday.

Her phone pinged. It was an upcoming text. From Sarim.

"This is a shitty day."

Elaf nodded even though he couldn't see her.

"I agree full on."

She replied and then asked.

"What did you do that it turned this shitty?"

His reply had come within seconds.

"Offended my family. Big time."

Elaf sighed and dropped herself on the pillow.

"Same here, Sarim. Same here."

______

Izaan stood in his room eyeing the book his grandfather had gotten from his on Safwa's suggestion.

Safwa.

He wanted to punch himself for being this rude with her. He was regretting it all now.

His hands extended and he took the book out.

She had looked at him with welled up eyes.

She must've cried.

Wishes have a weird way of announcing their presence, Like right now as he caressed the cover, all he wanted was to wipe her tears she must be shedding because of him.

Safwa stood in front if the mirror. She had just reached her room and had locked it. The warm moisture she had felt slipping on her cheeks in her car, she didn't want to believe.

But now looking at herself in her reflection, Safwa knew it. Safwa believed it.

She was crying because of Izaan Shoaib.

For the very first time.

But it wasn't going to be the last time.

___________

Atif had left him there in study to have some time to contemplate what he was doing with his life.

But Hesham couldn't think about anything his father wanted him to think.

All he himself and everything around him could ask was

Did he love Safwa?

The conundrum of life had just touched them all. It was going to tangle up some more. They were in for a journey like the grains of sand. Sometimes in trouble waters and sometimes, ashore. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

961 29 12
A story of friendship, love, heart-breaks, twists in lives. A spoonful of suspense can be found here and there.
16.4K 1.4K 70
FIVE dfferent love stories, consisting love triangles, heartbreaks and betrayal, fading friendships and relationships. There exist plenty of ways to...
ELYU By Haruki

Short Story

375 13 7
This is not a love story. This is a tale of 2 broken people who found each other. Its a story that writes itself.
25 7 7
A story of 9 students who joined two different groups: Even and Odd. Even though they both stand on different sides of the glass wall, the two sides...