The Other Side Of Marriage

By LizK_09

Liz is a young woman with a dream job, a great family and a wonderful husband. Life couldn't get any better t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34: Epilogue

Chapter 27

2.8K 102 8
By LizK_09

Liz's POV

I went to bed exhausted because it has been a very long day. A lot has happened and as much as I am glad Erastus stopped me from leaving for London, I would have loved to escape this place. Leaving would have had a major impact on me because I knew that Erastus would've never forgiven me if I bailed on his wedding. He used the statement I use most of the time and I wasn't too thrilled that my words were being used against me. A promise is a promise.

The following day was the eve of the wedding and I woke up very excited. I was going to work on my plans on getting back at Rose so that next time she thinks twice before messing with me. Yes, a part of me feels bad, but a whole bigger part of me didn't even care whether she felt bad or not. She doesn't care whether she makes me feel worse and like a failure at my marriage, so why do I even have to care about her? She is so selfish and I know something or let me say in her own words, I know where it hurts her the most. I freshened up, brushed my teeth put on a Jean, a bright red top, and sneakers. I made my way to the kitchen because I was hungry, I don't remember having dinner last night because too much happened. There are moments where I forget to eat or maybe I just don't realize that I am hungry when I am angry, hurt, or nervous. My emotions just get the best of me that I don't feel anything else.

Approaching the kitchen I could smell something burning but I didn't feel the urge to rush to the kitchen. It's not like Erastus is good at the kitchen stuff, so I won't be surprised if he burnt something again. I entered and saw Erastus face-timing Rose while the pan with bacon was on fire. I quickly rushed to the stove, turned it off, and put the burning pan in the sink under running water.

"I get that you are on the phone will your wife-to-be, but can you try not to burn the house," I shouted taking the phone from him so he looks at the damage he has done.

"Hello?! Can't you see we are busy having a conversation here? Give the phone back." Rose said.

"Sorry, I forgot that there was a pan on the stove. How bad is the damage?" I screamed he asked.

"Well, the pan is toast for sure, but at least the fire alarm didn't go off or there would be firemen at the door by now," I told him. I put the phone on the counter and checked the stove for any burns.

"Liz, if everything is all good there, do you mind giving the-" I didn't wait for her to finish, I just hung up on her and give the phone back to Erastus. He was looking at me in disbelief as if he was coming to terms with what I just did. He didn't say anything, he just looked at me like I just signed my death sentence. I rushed out the moment I saw him stand up, grabbed the first car keys I could find, and closed the door behind me. I got into my car, just to realize I took his car keys instead of mine. I got out just to find him leaning against his car with my car keys in his hands. Shoot!

"Now, what do I do with you, Liz? Why did you do that?" he asked.

"Do you want to hear the answer to that?" I asked.

"I think I do, or else I wouldn't be asking," he said.

"Because I can't stand her." I regretted my answer the moment the words left my mouth.

"You don't get to do that. I get that you two don't get along but why would you hang up the call? She was talking to you because you took my phone from me, but that wasn't your call to make." he said.

"Fine. I apologize. Can I leave now, or can I have my car keys?" I asked.

"I will, as soon as you apologize to me."

"I just apologized to you seconds ago? What else do you want?" I asked.

"I still didn't hear the word sorry coming from your mouth and until you say so I am staying put," he said.

"Okay. Erastus, I am very sorry that I hung up on your beautiful and wonderful fiancée. It wasn't my call to make even though I can't stand her at all and it felt good to get back at her." I told him smiling.

"Now I regret ever asking you to apologize," he said shaking his head and heading for my car.

"Where are you going?" I asked him while getting into my car.

"For breakfast. I don't remember you telling me where you are going either. Where are you going?" he said.

"Going for breakfast as well then I have to go run some errands," I said as I got into his car. I guess we are still playing switch up like Rose once called it.

"Since we're all going for breakfast, why don't you get in the car instead of taking the car?" he asked.

"Why are we always taking my car? Anyway, I can't, because we are going separate ways after breakfast, so looks like I will find you at Linda's." I said getting into the car.
He drove out before me and I followed him shortly to the café. Now
that I think of it, it was bad that I had to cut someone else's call, but it is already done. It was Erastus', house, which is practically her house as well, but she doesn't give a crap that it would've been a caught fire if I didn't come there in time. Erastus is talking to me, but I know he is mad that I did what I did, and I am not proud of it. She was just so annoyingly asking me to give back the phone as if I wasn't going to give it back. Maybe in my way of getting back at her, I might end up hurting him as well because it looks like if she is mad, he is not happy either. I guess the say is true; happy wife, happy home.

The idea of turning around and not going to Linda's crossed my mind, but I drove on. I owed him a proper apology, that's the least I can do. I parked next to his car when I got there but by the time I got out of my car, he has already gone inside.

I found him by the counter talking to Linda but left as soon as I got there.

"What's up with you two?" Linda asked.

"Nothing. I guess he is just anxious about his wedding tomorrow, so he might be a little on edge." I lied.

"I see. I thought maybe you guys had a fight or something. It would have been a fight to see. Wait, do you two ever fight?" she asked.

"Yes. Not that I am proud to say it. Can I get the usual? Thanks." I said avoiding further discussions about the topic.

"Coming right up," she said while I was making my way to where Erastus was seated. He kept looking into his phone and I was seated there with absolutely no idea how to begin a conversation.

"Look, I am sorry I hung up on her, and you were right, she and I have our issues and you shouldn't be caught up in it. I am sorry." I started. This time I meant the apology, I was being sincere.

"It's fine," he said.

"That's it?" I asked.

"What else do you want me to say, Liz? That I am over it? Well, I am not because she is still not picking up my calls for something that you did. Maybe she is right, I do let you get away with everything but this, you crossed a line." he said.

"How exactly do you let me get away with everything if you are busy scolding me right now because I messed up?" I asked.

"How great. From that whole speech I gave, the only thing you got out of it was what she said and nothing I said mattered. You have issues." he said with so much sarcasm.

"No. You said a lot. She is ignoring your calls for something I did but there's nothing I can do to fix it. What do you want me to do, go to her house and apologize? You of all people know that only one of us might come out alive in that situation. I am sorry, I acted on impulse and also because I am not a fan of her, which doesn't justify anything but at least I meant the apology." I told him.

"Sometimes it takes more than an apology to make things right."

"Which is why I asked you what I can do about it and you still haven't given me an answer." I interrupted him.

"I don't know, why are you asking as if I was the one that messed up? You started this mess, you fix it," he said.

"Oh yeah? How do I do that, if for starters, you are giving me the cold shoulder and she wants me dead? Apologizing to you was the first step in trying to make things right, but you ignored my apology. If you are ignoring me what do you think she will do? I get that I messed up, but if you think I am going to drive to your inlaws and apologize, it's not going to happen. I have been insulted and mocked enough by her that I am not planning on apologizing to her for the next ten years. I am sorry." I said putting some notes on the table and grabbing my purse. The moment I stood up I realized Linda was standing right next to us with a tray of food.

"Everything okay guys?" she asked.

"Everything is good Linda. I am not hungry anymore." I said walking past her. I went straight to the car, I didn't even care that it was his car, I just got in and just sat for a while. I didn't give a damn about anything or anyone at this moment. I have called Katie's mom yesterday so I ask her for this and that since she is an event planner. I am going to change that reception, not because I am mad at Rose, but just for my friend even though he doesn't deserve it at the moment. Well, this isn't the first time he is mad at me for being bad to someone he was dating, but I can't stand the guilt I was feeling. Maybe it's because they are getting married tomorrow and she is going to be a part of his life forever.

I drove out of the parking lot and went to meet up with Katie and her mom so I see what I can get so I go work on that hall. She was able to help me out and I was super grateful, but I couldn't get it done in time alone. Katie and Linda agreed to help me out already but the extra hands would still be nice. I remembered my brother Jack was in LA so I decided to call him.

"Hey Lizzy," he said immediately.

"Hi, Jack. Where are you? I need a favor. " I got straight to the point.

"I am coming from the airport. I went to pick up Paul. Oh, Laura is also here." he said.

"Wait, Laura? Why is she with you?" I asked.

"I mean, I am the cool uncle and kids love me. She and I are just hanging out," he said.
Wherever he was, I had a feeling he was frowning and shrugging at the same time.

"I am sure they love their uncle Jack. Can you come to the hall instead of wherever you are going? I need your help guys if Paul is not tired of course." I said.

"He is not tired. Which hall?" he asked.

"The hall where Erastus' wedding is taking place," I said and hung up. I was relieved that's two of my brothers were in town. Dinner is definitely on me.

We worked in the hall for about six hours until it was ready. I made sure nobody knew about the changes so that they wouldn't tip Rose off. We went for Pizza and drinks afterward and the boys went to their hotel while I went to drop Laura off. Since Evan wasn't home we sat and talked about this and that. I took one of my wines, the one I left behind a year ago, and started drinking. It's funny how Evan still had the wines around. He does drink wine but is not as obsessed as I was, to end up owning a cellar in the house. He drank some though, a lot was missing.

"So mom, I have already started packing, I am so excited to go to London." she started.

"I am sure you will love it there. I am not home all the time, but Layla is there and there's never a dull moment with them." I told her.

"So, mom, is there no way you are coming back home?" she asked. Oh Lord save me.

"No Laura, that chapter has come to an end. Just know that you have got me for however long you want me in your life. I might not live with you but I am always a phone call away." I told her.

"Do you think dad is going to get married again and then I will have another mom?" she asked.

"Laura, I don't know sweetie, but if your dad finds someone he is interested in, then I think so. I think this is a conversation you are supposed to be having with your dad." I said.

"I did, but he keeps telling me that he is doing just fine and he will, only if I want him to. I just don't believe it. It's like all of a sudden he is being good and considers what I think. Do you think he is being honest?" she asked.

Child, I have no idea! I was close to saying that out loud. I have to admit that he is a good father. I remember that when we were dating, he would bring me along to Laura's games. He wanted to know if I had a problem that he had a kid, because to him, Laura was always the center of his universe so I guess he wanted to know I was 100% on board, kid or no kid.

"Laura, have your father ever lied to you? You need to start seeing your dad for who he is and not for the bad choices he once made. I have moved past them and so should you." I said.

"So if you moved past it, why can't you come back home?" she asked.
Goodness, dealing with this kid is too much. She is using my words against me!

"Because I decided to leave the things that hurt me. Going back is like opening up those wounds again. I moved on, but it doesn't mean I forgot." I told her.
Luckily she didn't have any more questions. It was already getting late and the sun was about to go down so I decided to go home. I had to go cook dinner since my brothers were coming over for dinner.

When I got home, my car was in the driveway and I wasn't too happy about it. I get that I was at fault but was I the one that was supposed to walk away? It doesn't matter, that would've been one hell of breakfast anyway. I changed the color in their reception, but I will not tell him, and I didn't do it just to get back at Rose anymore, she can go to hell for all I care. I just didn't feel too good doing something right for the wrong reason. Just because he and I aren't on good terms doesn't mean I will not help him out.

I walked into the house, Erastus was seated in the lounge playing video games with whoever was on the other side. He had headsets on and conversed with the other person so I didn't bother talking to him. I walked into my room, freshened up, and headed to the kitchen to cook.
The damage made this morning was that bad that I didn't know what to say anymore. I started working on the lasagna while the chicken was marinating.

An hour later I was done with everything and Paul texted me telling me they were on their way so I decided to head to the living room and just sit down for a while. When I turned to leave the kitchen, I realized Erastus was here, leaning at the kitchen door.

"For how long have you been there?" I asked a little bit startled.

"Not long. You do concentrate on the task at hand. It's remarkable. Are we expecting guests?" he asked.

"Something like that. Paul and Jack are coming over." 

"I didn't know Paul was here. When did he fly in?"

"Earlier today."

"So, -" I don't know what he was about to say when the doorbell rang.

"Looks like they are here, I will go open. You mind helping me set the table?" I cut him off. Whatever he wanted to say, I guess we will find it later.

"Sure," he said walking past me or I passed him. Not so sure which is which.

"Hey there," I said when I opened. To my surprise, my other brother Mark was also there. I ran straight into his open arms. Looks like this day isn't the worst after all.

"Hey, kid. Did you think I was going to pass up an opportunity to see you when I heard you were in the country?" he said.

"Hey. It's really good to see you. I missed you so much." I said letting them into the house.

"Oh come on. Even I didn't receive such treatment when I had to play the event organizer a few hours ago." Paul complained.

"What do you mean you had to play an event organizer?" Erastus asked joining us in the living room.
Oh crap! Please Paul save yourself and fast.
I looked at Paul, glaring so he keeps his mouth shut.

"That my friend is a surprise for tomorrow. Looks like your best man here got you when it comes to the after-party." Paul said looking at Jack. The look on Jack's face was just priceless. Looks like Paul just incriminated his younger brother.

"Hey, Erastus. Didn't know you two were living together." Mark said giving him a bro hug.

"We are. Rose is at her parent's house for now and let's just say your sister enjoys my company," he said.

"I see. Does she know today might be the last day she will have you all to herself?" Trust Paul to ask such a stupid question.

"Well, I guess that's one of the perks of having a male best friend, you lose them to their wives," I said.

"Can we go eat now? I am starving." Jack said. I was so thankful to him because I couldn't just keep talking to Erastus when the problem is still there and the tension can be felt in the air. Since what happened with Evan, I stopped putting on acts, because they just postponed when the problem needs to be tackled. I can't do that at the moment.

"Let's head to the dining room," I said.

"How about you all get comfortable, I will bring in the food while Liz will bring in an extra plate," Erastus said leading me to the kitchen.

Silence took over the moment we entered the kitchen. This is so awkward, but even if I was to start the conversation, what is there to say that I already didn't say at the café this morning? I took the plate and the wine from the fridge before heading to the dining room. The dining room is an adjoining room to the kitchen so it didn't take me a minute to find my brother gossiping about me already.

"She doesn't look okay. I mean she isn't that happy, she is just hiding behind that smile of hers." Mark said.

"You know Liz, she thinks she is so tough she can take on the whole world. I bet you a hundred dollars she will tell she is fine if you ask her." Jack said.

"That's true. Who knows what happened, maybe she ran into her ex when she went to drop Laura off." Paul said.

"Why don't you all let me do the talking, I mean I can get through to her," Mark said.

"Yeah, yeah. I am sure you can. Last time I checked, you were the first to call Erastus whenever she locked herself in the room because let's face it, all her brothers suck." Jack said.

"Speak for yourself Jack, and watch how you speak to us, you are the youngest and we can just tag-team against you right now," Paul said.
I heard Erastus chuckle behind me. I didn't know for how long he has been standing there or how much of my brothers' conversation he heard, not that I care. But I was trying my best not to laugh at how my big brothers are speaking of tag-teaming against their younger brother.

"Excuse you, Paul, nobody is teaming up against the other. We are talking about our little sister who needs someone to talk to at the moment because someone she loves is getting married tomorrow." Mark said.

"Oh come on! You and Paul are people she loves and she didn't need someone to talk to when you two got married. Why does she need someone now?" Jack asked.

"Jack, how about you think like a lawyer right now and not as the dumbest of the family? If guys and girls could be just friends, we would all have female friends. There's always something more." Mark said.

"I hate to say this, but Mark does have a point there. I mean we do have female friends but they aren't as close as Liz and Erastus are. I mean I am sure many women would feel threatened if their boyfriend or husband had such a close friend like that. I mean at some point I would ask myself where I stand in her life if that was me." Paul said supporting Mark.
I found myself glued to where I was standing. I regret not interrupting them the moment I got here and the fact that Erastus was right behind me, I couldn't just barge in as if they are about to expose my big secret. Plus I wanted to see where this conversation is headed.

"Really? Do you all know how ridiculous you sound right now? You think that your very own sister is down because she might have feelings for her best friend who just happens to be getting married tomorrow? I mean they had all the time in the world if they wanted to go for each other." Jack said.

"Jack finds pleasure in going against us all the time, don't mind him. Just know your sister needs help." Paul said.

I was standing there listening to my brothers talking about me, and I couldn't help but wonder if they do that a lot of times. They are very wrong though, I don't need help.

"I think that's our cue to enter," Erastus said from behind me.

I walked in and they all kept quiet and looked away from me.
"You guys are very wrong, I am fine. I don't need help and I am not down because my best friend is getting tomorrow. I am happy for him. So this is how you all talk about me whenever I am not there?" I asked taking a seat next to Jack.
None of them answered, we just talked about everything else during dinner. I was happy that my family will be attending the wedding, we are going to crash the party. It's what we Browns do best.

After dinner, my brothers left and I sat in the lounge with Erastus, drinking my wine in the weirdest silence I ever found myself in. This was probably the moment where he was waiting for me to say something first and I the same.

"I am sorry for whatever happened this morning. I just have so much going on and my nerves all over the place. Tomorrow is a big day, which I am not so sure I am ready for. I don't know what to do or think, and you were there so I guess I just took it out on you." he started.
Looks like he had to start but just didn't know what to say.

"It's okay," I said briefly.

"So I said all of that just for an okay? Wow! Okay." he said shaking his head.

"It's fine really. I understand where you are coming from, I have been there. Can we go to bed now? Tomorrow is a long day, especially for you." I said standing up and heading to my room.
I lay on my bed, waiting patiently for tomorrow, where my best friend will get married and it will be my last day here. I can't wait to go back to London and just eat whatever I want in Layla's kitchen knowing very well I am going to run it all out the following day.

*****
So thank you so much for the love and support... I just reached 7K read and I am super grateful.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share...
The wedding is up next and I will upload it as soon as I can.

Love you 😘 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

390 27 30
Claire Eastmond has it all friends, family, a great boyfriend. Until one unfortunate mistake makes that all disappear. Travel with her on the journey...
918K 20.1K 19
After having a miscarriage and being asked for a divorce by her husband. Elizabeth builds her life from scratch. She disappears to a new country whe...
49.2K 3.3K 26
"Sometimes you have to learn to love yourself before you can love someone else." Ellie Sparks stands out in a crowd... in all the wrong ways. From bi...
Eternally By K

General Fiction

643 79 27
Krissy is just beginning her new career freshly out of college. As she begins to try new things and explore new places, she finds herself in a friend...