| ❅ | Finding Home | ❅ | A No...

By Decembra1998

A young orphan named Risa, is sent out on her own now that she is eighteen. Trying to find her family and fol... More

❅ Copyright Information ❅
❅ Author's Disclaimer ❅
❅ Awards & Publish Dates ❅
❅ Cover ❅
❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅
❅ Chapter One ❅
❅ Chapter Two ❅
❅ Chapter Three ❅
❅ Chapter Four ❅
❅ Chapter Five ❅
❅ Chapter Six ❅
❅ Chapter Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Eight ❅
❅ Chapter Nine ❅
❅ Chapter Ten ❅
❅ Chapter Eleven ❅
❅ Chapter Twelve ❅
❅ Chapter Thirteen ❅
❅ Chapter Fourteen ❅
❅ Chapter Fifteen ❅
❅ Chapter Sixteen ❅
❅ Chapter Seventeen ❅
❅ Chapter Eighteen ❅
❅ Chapter Nineteen ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-One ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Two ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Three ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Four ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Five ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Six ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Eight ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Nine ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-One ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Two ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Three ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Four ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Six ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Eight ❅
❅ Epilogue ❅
❅ Author's Note ❅
❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅
* Bonus Chapters *
❅ Bonus Chapter ❅ Part One ❅
❅ Bonus Chapter ❅ Part Two ❅

❅ Chapter Thirty-Five ❅

15 2 0
By Decembra1998

Risa was getting ready to go to Rolando and Stella's engagement party. Everyone she knew would be there, along with some people who she had never met. She was nervous but they new Stella and if Stella deemed them alright, then she would too.

She was not looking forward to seeing Vincent since she had ignored him for so long. A crumpled-up letter from him was in the trash bin beside her dresser. She didn't want to know what he said, whatever it would it wouldn't change what she did.

Yes, she had a lot of people telling her to forgive him, hear him out and give him a second chance. She didn't want to waste her time giving him a second chance when it could end up hurting her.

Yes, he had apologized, poured his heart out but it just didn't move her. It seemed he was trying too hard to get her to forgive him. She was working on it, but that letter seemed to make her go back to the beginning.

She walked over to the bed, typing a ribbon around Loyal's neck that matched her purple dress. "You look beautiful, Loyal. Éclair is going to be happy to see you. I am glad you two are becoming friends." She smiled, turning around.

Loyal jumped down off the bed and trotted over to the mirror. Looking in it she barked happily. "I look so pretty," She admired the ribbon around her neck. "Éclair and I have become friends, although at first, she was mean." She huffed sitting down.

Risa fixed her hair and paused looking in the mirror. "Do you think I am being picky? I look fine, but maybe I should put my hair up? I have to make a good first impression on everyone since half of those there I don't even know." She asked Loyal, letting go of her hair as it fell against her shoulders. 

She smoothed down her dress and looked one last time in the mirror. "Come on Loyal, we better get there early. I do not want to be late and I want to avoid Vincent at all costs." She motioned for her dog to follow her. She grabbed her coat and pulled it on. She then bent down and clipped the leash to the thin ribbon.

She led her puppy out of the room, closing the door behind her. Once outside, she led Loyal down the road towards where the engagement party was being held. It might have been a little nippy out, but it was warmer compared to the previous days. Besides, the air made her feel renewed. 

She pushed open the door of one of the sections in a building. She was greeted by the warmth of a fireplace, some familiar faces while others that were strangers. She didn't think much about it. She took off her coat and hung it up on the rack, then bent down and unclipped the leash on Loyal.

Monica walked over with a bright smile on her lips. "Risa! I'm so happy you could make it. Stella wanted me to tell you she is putting on the finishing touches and will be right out. You are a little early." She gushed, greeting the girl with a kiss on each cheek.

Risa nodded, returning the action with a smile on her lips. "Oh yes, I wanted to make sure I had enough time to get here in case I ran into trouble," She replied, pushing a lock of hair out of her face. "And to avoid a certain someone if I can."

Monica clapped her hands together as she looked down at Loyal. "Ah, you must be Loyal. Stella speaks often of you and how close you've become to Éclair! I am sure she will find her around here somewhere." She looked back up at Risa, grabbing her arms. "Now, come on. Stella wanted me to introduce you to a few people." 

Risa gave a surprised noise as she followed over to a group of people. "A few? Oh dear, is it okay that I am nervous? I am nervous." She stammered out giving a sheepish laugh. She had never felt this nervous before. Oh wait, she had, at the opera, waiting to see the Rosenbergs.

Monica laughed softly patting her arm. She found the younger girl cute. "Oh, you are fine. Nervousness is normal around people you don't know. I would like you to meet Baretta and Willard, Nathan's parents, Joshua his brother, Kyle his nephew, Sherry and Lena who were Clarissa's and Cyrene's nannies." She introduced them to Risa, pointing to each one.

Kyle paused mid-sip and almost spit it out once his eyes landed on Risa. He hadn't changed much, only to look older but still have a babyface. "Goodness, are you pretty? Stella does not do your description justice - er, sorry if that made you feel a little uncomfortable." He admitted sheepishly, recalling the long talk Stella had given him.

Joshua rolled his eyes, looking no different than he did eleven years ago "Don't mind him. Once he hit puberty he did a 180 with his personality. You are not the first lady that he had said it to and you won't be the last." He explained to Risa, nudging Kyle in the arm.

Kyle nudged him back with an embarrassed frown. "Uncle, you are just as embarrassing as my parents and that says a lot. They are very embarrassing when it comes to telling stories of my childhood to strangers." He mused sipping on his drink and giving his eyes a roll.

Joshua rolled his eyes once again with a scoff shaking his head. "Maybe if you expressed how it made you feel then they would stop. Forgive him, Risa, I am sure you do not want to hear about this." He politely apologized, not wanting to drag this stranger into their family issues.

Risa shook her head and gave him a wave of dismissal. "Oh no, it is alright. I am not used to seeing how families interact." She admitted sheepishly, pushing her hair behind her ear. She had always wondered how families interacted and this was different than how she pictured it.

Sherry shook her head at what Kyle had said and turned to Risa. "I was shocked that Stella invited us," She began, taking a sip from her drink. Yet again, we have been taking care of Ariel, Marilla, and Gideon since they were born." She mused, resting the bottom of the glass in her hand.

Lena nodded, offering out her hand. "I am happy to have met you. You do seem like a nice girl, Stella speaks highly of you." She politely smiled, not wanting to gush too much. There was something familiar about the girl before her and it struck her. "You do remind me of Clarissa, if she was here she would like you."

Risa shook her hand then followed by shaking each of their hands. "Well, it is a pleasure. I will admit Stella hasn't spoken of you at all. Don't take it personally though, I haven't seen much of her since she came to the first day of my job." She smiled, lacing her fingers together and resting them behind her back. "I am flattered Lena, if I can call you that, I am sure she would."

Risa looked around and noticed two important people weren't there. "Did Stella's parents not come? Shouldn't they be here for their daughter's engagement party?" She knew Stella didn't speak about her parents, but she wondered why they hadn't come.

Kyle shook his head. He had never met his aunt's side of the family, which most would deem odd. "I wouldn't expect them to. She isn't close with that many in her extended family, heck even her immediate family. I don't think she had spoken to her parents in years, not sure what had happened to them." He said, turning his attention back to Risa.

Risa hummed softly as she listened to what he had said. "Whatever the reason it is between her and them. Besides, Stella always seems so happy so I am sure it is nothing to concern yourself with." She waved her hand in the air, passing it off without another thought.

Kyle couldn't deny she was right. It wasn't his business and he didn't mind not seeing that side of his family. He got enough of his father's side to last him a lifetime. "So, you're from Canada? What made you come to France and how did you meet Stella?" He asked curiously.

Risa wasn't going to tell him the whole story, but sum it up, leaving out some personal parts. "Yes, I'm Canadian. Is it that obvious?" She teased but then began to explain the story. "I first met Rolando when I was trying to find a way to come to Paris since that was the only clue I was left with when I was taken to the orphanage. Long story short, I met Stella through Rolando and became good friends."

Kyle frowned, wishing to hear more of the story. That was so vague, not as grandiose as Stella had made it out to seem. "I better get the whole story, maybe over coffee whenever you're free?" He smirked slyly, knowing he was getting that story one way or another.

Risa knew what he was doing and decided to play along. "I'd like that. I'll have to check my schedule since I'm busy with work and apartment hunting. The story is quite long, but there are some parts I won't say no matter how much you try to get me to spill." She pointed her finger at him.

Kyle put his hand up in defense. He was not going to press her for any more information than what she'd give him. "Deal. I do love a good adventure story with drama and epic battles - not sure if your journey had that, but Stella mentioned some bad things happened." And he wanted to know what those were. 

Baretta finally spoke up after just trying to find words to speak. "My, my, you do look like a younger Perisa. I am sure you get told that a lot, don't you? I am happy to have finally gotten to meet you and apologized back at the opera house." She did feel bad about how it all played out with her son.

Risa was surprised she was happy to finally meet her. She thought they felt the same as Nathan. She didn't quite know what to say so she just opened her mouth and let her brain do the talking.  "Oh, well, it's alright, it isn't your fault. I'm upset about it or anything anymore, I've let it go."

Willard wrapped an arm around his wife. "I do apologize too, I should have stepped in more. You must forgive Nathan. It is a touchy subject and I hope seeing you doesn't bother him. It was my idea about the reward and I didn't realize it would cause this much harm." He frowned, a certain sad look was in his eyes.

Risa felt a little awkward but she was glad they held nothing against her. "Um, yeah, I wouldn't want to bother him . . . anyways, it is nice to meet you too. I do want you to know I knew nothing about what Vincent was trying to do. I merely just wanted to meet you and I had no ulterior motives." She insisted, nervously playing with her fingers.

Baretta reached over and took her hand. She could tell Risa was still upset over it even if she said she wasn't. "That is understandable. Vincent had come by and apologized for his actions and it was a bit of a misunderstanding. I believed him, he didn't seem to want to put you off as Clarissa." She wanted the two to make up, even if she didn't know the whole story. 

Risa nodded slowly, pursing her lips. Well, it was beginning to get awkward. "He did?" She asked, looking down at the floor. "That is news to me." She mumbled and looked back up, putting on a smile. "Good for him and you. If you don't mind, I would like to get a refreshment. I will find you later?" She asked as they nodded.

She walked over to the refreshment table and grabbed herself a cup, she poured herself some of the pink punch. "Hmm." She hummed, taking a few sips from it before refilling it up and turning around. She gently bumped into someone, thankfully she didn't spill her drink. "Watch where you -" She said, stopping mid-sentence. 

Vincent took a step back and looked at Risa with a deer in the headlight's eyes. His brain seemed to glitch out on him. "Oh, s-sorry, I didn't notice you were turning around nor did I notice it was used. Excuse me." He quickly said, simply walking past her and getting two cups of punch.

Risa rolled her eyes and walked over to where Jaelle, Tessa, and Maurice were at. "Why does he even have to be here? I thought he was leaving for Canada. I know Rolando sees him as a son but come on." She groaned, taking another sip of her punch.

Tessa frowned a little and placed her hands on her hips. "Don't you think you are being a little silly? He isn't here alone, he has his family and he has every right to be here. So far he has stayed over there in that corner casually talking with his father, not bothering you." She pointed out, jabbing a finger at Risa.

Maurice had to agree with Tessa. "Tessa has a point, Risa. You need to stop being dead set on treating him unkindly. Yes, he made a few mistakes but haven't we all? Should you forgive him by now?" He added, not wanting to gang up on Risa but wanted to flat out tell her how she was treating Vincent wasn't okay.

Risa sighed, taking a long sip of her drink. She felt awkward now that Tessa and Maurice had to point that out. "Maybe you are right - but I still am hurt by what he did. He has made no effort but a pathetic letter to apologize." She stubbornly said, huffing as she looked away.

Jaelle patted her back gently, trying to calm her own. "He is giving you space. Rolando told me the whole reason he hasn't spoken to you is that he wants to give you space. Vincent hoped the letter would have arrived after he had left so it wouldn't be awkward. He seems to be having an awful time." She explained, very cautiously.

Risa looked at Jaelle. If what she said was true then maybe she shouldn't be so rude towards him. "I will try to be a little nicer to him next time and respect him for giving me space." Although she hardly believed her own words, she wasn't in the mood to start fighting with her friends at Stella and Rolando's party.

Tessa pulled her into a side hug and rubbed her arm. "Now let's not dwell on it anymore. I am so glad Stella and Rolando will be getting married in the fall. I am also pretty happy to speak with Stella about designing the wedding and bridesmaids' dresses." She squealed, feeling so excited.

Risa smiled, hugging her friend back. "I know she will say yes. After she sees your designs there will be no way she could say no, besides, I will use puppy eyes to help seal the deal. Although I have never used them before." She mused, wanting to do everything she could to help her friend succeed. 

Maurice laughed softly at Risa and the puzzled expression on her face. "I agree with Risa, she will say yes. You have many talents and deserve to be out there, famous. I can help with that since I do know many people in the fashion industry." He casually said, not thinking anything of it.

Tessa blinked, she had to do a double-take and it took everything in her to keep from her jaw going slack. "Wait, you did? Why didn't you say so before? I would be honored for you to help me jump start my career after I graduate from fashion school." She said, overjoyed but also very confused.

Maurice shrugged his shoulders as he took a sip from his drink. "It never crossed my mind and normally people only befriended me for my connections. I would be happy to help you, I've seen your work, it is pretty impressive." He replied by taking a bite out of a brownie that had pasted on a tray of hot fresh ones which he had grabbed.

Jaelle also grabbed a brownie from the table beside her. "While we are on this subject I was thinking of auditioning for an upcoming dance event. The winner gets to be a professional dancer, they only want the unique styles that are ahead of their time. Like mine." She beamed, taking a bite out of it.

Risa smiled, she was proud of Jaelle and Tessa. They seemed to be following the dreams they had planned out. "Yours is no doubt ahead of its time, but it still keeps true to your Romani roots which will no doubt be impressive. I have no doubt you will beat them all out, add on top singing while dancing, it is a sealed deal." She grinned, hugging her friend.

Jaelle blushed a little at her words. Hearing it from someone else really made her feel quite different than hearing it from herself or her family. "Thanks, Risa. So are you close to finding your family? You never did tell us how it went at the clock shop?" She asked curiously, having forgotten to ask sooner.

Risa pushed her hair behind her ear. "You're welcome" She smiled then the smile faded and she sighed. "Oh yeah, not really. It seems only one person had gotten it, it was specially made for Willard and Baretta Rosenberg as a gift to their granddaughter, Clarissa. The pocket watch is authentic, it isn't a replica or anything." She explained sheepishly.

Tessa furrowed her eyebrows at what she had said. If the pocket watch belonged to Clarissa and Risa had it, that could only mean one thing. "So, are you implying that you are the long-lost Clarissa? Or is there another reason for you having" the watch? I am a bit confused." She was confused over the whole matter.

Risa sighed heavily, confused herself. there was no easy answer anymore. She didn't know whether to fancy the idea or forget. "See that is the thing. I have everyone telling me I am Clarissa: I would be her age, I look like a young Queen Perisa, I have always had the pocket watch, I do have these memories but I can't truly trust what they are real." She explained, placing her hand on her forehead.

Jaelle placed her hand on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "That does seem very troublesome. I am sure you will figure it all out sooner or later. For now, let's just dwell on Stella and how she is engaged." She exclaimed happily. "Can you imagine what that's like? Knowing soon you'll be married to your love and do married couple things?"

Risa laughed softly, bringing her glass to her lips and taking a sip from it. "You'll get your own. We all will. Sooner or later. In speaking, Stella and Rolando show us that you can find love no matter what age." She found it sweet that the two were finally getting together after all these years.

Stella emerged from the back room, Emily following right behind her. She picked up a glass and gently tapped the side with a silver spoon to get everyone's attention. "Bonjour everyone. I am so happy you all came, please enjoy the refreshments and continue to chat with everyone." She looked around the room, noticing that her sister and her family weren't there yet. "Not everyone is here yet."

Rolando walked over and kissed her cheek,  knowing exactly what was wrong. "I noticed the Rosenbergs aren't here yet. Don't worry though, I am sure they are on their way. You know how long it takes them to get ready, it is a fight with Gideon." He chuckled, recalling how the boy would kick and scream. 

Stella turned to him and smiled gently, nodding and setting down the glass. "You are right," She began, twisting her finger around a lock of hair. "I don't know why but I have this bad feeling welling in my stomach." She sighed, then quickly added. "I know it's silly. I'm worrying over nothing."

Rolando rested a hand on her shoulder. He shook his head and pulled her into a side hug. "Oh no, it isn't silly. If they don't come soon, you can send someone to figure out what is taking so long. For right now, enjoy the party. Bask in being engaged. Try and sneak a peek at the presents as you did as a child?" He wiggled his eyebrows with a smile. 

Stella laughed softly. He always knew how to make her feel better. "Oh I will bask in it, but for now I must speak with a few people I haven't seen in ages. Kyle is so grown up, last time I saw him he was just a cute two-year-old, a chubby and cute two-year-old" She sighed gently, smiling fondly at the thought. 

Rolando had seen him the night of the gala when he was pestering Cyrene and Clarissa jumped in to save him. "Oh, how time flies past for everyone, especially as you get older and gather more responsibilities. I can recall it was just like yesterday when I met Vincent and now he has grown into a handsome young man whom I am proud of." He looked over at Vincent and felt proud.

Stella looked over to Vincent who seemed to be showing his brother something in a notebook. "He has matured over time, hasn't he? I am sure when he goes back to Canada he will be hardly recognizable, in the sense he isn't the same person who left." She then paused when Monica and Emily were waving her over. "Oh, I must go. We can continue a little later with this, I love you." She kissed his cheek and hurried over to her friends.

Rolando chuckled, she was something else but he loved her. Stella was right about one thing, he would be hardly recognizable. Not by his appearance but his attitude had changed quite drastically. It was a good thing, he hoped Vincent would stick to it no matter what happens.

Vincent walked over to Rolando and offered out his hand. "Thanks for having me, but I should get going. The train leaves in an hour and I still need to make sure I get checked one last time at my father's place to make sure I haven't left anything behind." He didn't want to return to Canada without something he needed.

Rolando shook his hand firmly. He was sad to see him go, but he understood and wouldn't keep him there any longer than he wanted. "I understand. Thank you for coming. It wouldn't be the same if you hadn't come. Have you said goodbye to everyone yet?" He asked with a soft look on his face.

Vincent nodded his head. He could tell Rolando was sad he was leaving, but it had to be done. "I told my parents, Edwin and Noah goodbye. I have told Stella goodbye. That is about all though, since I don't really know anyone else and the Rosenbergs aren't here yet and I can't wait around any longer." He left Risa out since he was giving her space.

Rolando nodded, hugging him tightly. He felt like a father watching his son leave the nest. "I understand. Please be safe, don't get into any trouble and if someone won't listen don't press the matter, give them space. Often pushing can make things worse." He wanted to leave him with some advice.

Vincent hugged him back before pulling away, nodding his head. "Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to follow through with that. So far, I have gotten back a few who want to talk, otherwise, I won't be attempting those who haven't replied." He was nervous about how things would turn out for him.

Rolando pulled away and stepped back. He wanted him to know he had his back. "You are most welcome. Get going, you don't want to miss your train after checking over the apartment. You have made me very proud, Vincent, very proud." He meant every single word he said. It was true. No one could be as proud of Rolando.

Vincent was glad he had heard those words. He never thought he would ever hear them come from Rolando. But he had never thought he would be turning his life around, heck he never thought he needed to. "I love you, Rolando, take care." He waved to him as he walked towards the door.

Rolando watched him walk towards the door, his smile faded into a frown. "I love you too Vincent, just like a son." He softly spoke as Vincent disappeared once he had left the building. It hurt a little to see him go, but he was coming back. He was only going to make amends and would be back.

Stella walked past Rolando and over to Risa, excusing her from her friends. She led her to the corner of the room away from everyone else. "Risa, could you go check on what is holding up The Rosenbergs? Here is their address, it isn't too far from my house." She asked, handing her a piece of paper with a map of the route to take.

Risa took the piece of paper and nodded, smiling softly. "I can do that. I am sure it isn't anything to worry about but are you sure I am the best person for this?" She asked, reading the address with the little map she had drawn on the back. "Nathan isn't too fond of me and I don't want to do or say anything that will make him blow his top."

Stella placed her hands on her shoulders. She could understand why Risa was hesitant. She couldn't blame her, knowing Nathan anything could set him off. "Yes, you are. I trust you, Risa. Cyrene likes you and as long as you say Stella sent you, you shall be fine. Just ignore anything Nathan says, he is still in a bad mood." She explained, hoping Risa would feel better.

Risa had a feeling that it wouldn't go as smoothly as Stella was thinking it might. She wasn't looking forward to seeing Nathan again, she just felt bad for him and knew he was taking it out on the wrong person. "I will keep that in mind." She confirmed with a nod, turning towards the door.

She took a deep breath and placed her hands on the bar to push it open. She looked down when Loyal barked and smiled, happy that her dog would be accompanying her. "Let's get a move on, I don't want to miss anything." She held up the map and began to follow the path.

❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅

A/N:
I am really trying to just rush and get it all written out so I can stop procrastinating on writing the chapters. I haven't been in the mood but I am pushing myself anyways. It has been a rough week for me so please bear with me.

Chapter Talk: 
I will expand on this more later, but the next chapter is the epic battle I have been waiting to write for a while. It is a little messy, yes, but that will be rounded out sooner or later so bear with me.

Vincent is going back to Canada and Risa is on her way to find out what is holding up the Rosenbergs. I will admit Risa's feelings are correct but not how she is thinking they are, but in an entirely different way. I am excited for you guys to read it.

And lastly, anything else I forgot to ask my pals. I am happy to answer anything!

In closing, all rude, impolite and mean comments will be replied to in a diplomatic way, reported or deleted if I feel like it is attacking me personally.

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286K 6K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...
91.8M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
57.9K 484 19
( Editing right now) Synopsis When Malenia, a betrayed middle-aged woman, is transported to a magical world, she becomes the Dungeon Mistress of a pe...
166K 1.5K 175
作者:村里的小傲娇 Chen Xiaolin accidentally bleeds on the bracelet her grandmother left her, and she discovers a space inside. She then fills the space with...