Someone is always watching

By geek-on-a-leash

"Isn't it obvious hood? I've died once already." After that how can Jason stay away? Nerissa M Clare is a 22... More

Author's Note
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 28

178 5 0
By geek-on-a-leash

Friday the plane crash's site

"It's Jason, it's bad, it's really bad."

"What happened? What did he say?" Nerissa's heart was racing.

"I don't know! Just that Jason's hurt and that we should get to the cave now." Trish was panicked. "How is it night time?"

"Shit I forgot that time is different in the house of mystery, John open-" she looked back and Constantine was gone, "selfish bastard."

Once in the car Trish took a different route.

"What are you doing? That's the wrong way!" Nerissa snapped.

"Br-Batman sent me the fastest route!" Trish snapped back not able to process anything.

"This is my fault, I shouldn't have left knowing he was angry! Oh fuck! This all my fault!"

"Hey! It's not your fault, we don't even know what happened, maybe he slipped in the shower okay?" Trish gripped the steering wheel trying to focus on driving.

"He didn't slip in the shower!" barked Nerissa, "he was so angry when I left, I felt it in my bones, I shouldn't have left."

"Babe, the guilt trip's not going to help him or you, or ME! Try to calm down just for me please?" she saw Nerissa nodding from the corner of her eye, "now, since I'm going to the batcave, anything I should know?"

"Uh, I-" Nerissa took a deep breath, "only the boys and Cassandra know I died, Damian knows I went to hell, he did too-"

"What the fuck? Is dying like a rite of passage in this family?"

"I don't know Trish! Okay you know what I know!.. What if he dies Trish?"

"He won't okay?" Trish took a deep breath and tried to keep her friend's mind off of Jason, "so you and this John?"

"Once."

"You trust him?"

"No," she felt Trish's confusion,"I trust Alec, who says Constantine's my only hope."

"Right," Trish took an exit, "so resurrection's a thing, magic too, tree guy healed you and the devil's real?"

"Basically." Nerissa was fiddling with her phone, she saw all the missed calls, "they called me, all of them! Oh God!"

"Okay give me that," Trish snatched the phone, "so your scars are from the plane not the car accident?"

"And the nuns, there was never a car accident, it's just what I say to feel like less of a freak."

"Hey! you're not a freak, you're a fucking witch!" Trish bursts into laughs, "Shit! Sorry, I've been holding it in since that house!" she continues laughing, "it's not funny, but shit!"

"It's fine, you're taking it better than-"

"I fainted, and I'm driving! I'll be freaking out once we know Jason's fine." she cursed herself when she heard Nerissa crying.

"I-I can't lose him, not him too, not today. I-I'll never forgive myself if he dies-" Thirteen was licking Nerissa's hand.

"He won't! If he's half as stubborn as Roy says, he'll tear the devil to shreds again."

"He didn't go to hell, he died a hero," she cried, "I-I.."

"You love him," realized Trish, "we're almost there,"not knowing what to say anymore.

Friday the batcave

Trish parked her car right behind the batmobile, she still couldn't believe that Batman/Bruce trusted her enough to let her come here, but she knew that he had no other choice at the moment. The girls and cat rushed out of the car. Trish followed Nerissa to the med bay, where Jason was laid down on the gurney surrounded by the bat-clan and Roy.

"What happened?"asked Nerissa frantically trying to get closer only to be accidentally pushed by Tim who ran to the computer. That's when she saw Jason, helmet almost completely destroyed blood trickling on his face, his bare chest covered in blood and bruises and what seemed to be a gunshot wound. "Oh God!" Dick caught her before she fell to her knees.

"Listen to me okay? Focus on my voice, it's going to be okay, he'll pull through!" Dick walked her away from the med bay.

"What happened?" she was pleading, hearing Alfred and Bruce ordering the others, then Trish.

"Roy, baby move!" looking at Alfred, "tell me what to do!" Alfred gave her a task.

"Dick tell me the truth." she demanded. She was overwhelmed by everybody's emotions, the stress level was so high.

"We talked him out of following you, but he was pissed. The sun set and you still weren't back, he started worrying, he had a fight with Bruce and then there was a breakout in Arkham, he went in without back up! I don't know what happened, Croc found him and called Roy. Croc said he kept asking for you before he lost consciousness." Dick hadn't planned on telling her everything but he wasn't able to lie. "I should've followed him as soon as he left, I just thought he'd wait."

"This is my fault, I shouldn't have left like this-"

"No, no it'snot your fault okay? It'snot your fault." he hugged her tight repeating the words like a mantra as she cried.

"I don't want to lose him! Not him too! Not today! Y-you just got him back and you'll l-lose him because of me!" She hadn't noticed but they were walking towards the stairs. She felt Dick's guilt and worry over losing his brother again.

"We're not losing him! He's been through worse! Stop blaming yourself. Come on let's go." she looked worse than when she was the one on the table.

"BRUCE! COAGULANT NOW! The bullet's been coated in a blood thinner that's why he's bleeding so fast!" screamed Tim running to the med bay.

"Grayson! They need you, Cain will stay with her!" Cassandra sat her down on the first step of the stairs and sat next to her. Thirteen stood next to her like a statue. She was watching them working around a convulsing Jason, running from side to side, she remembered when she was on that table, she felt so helpless. Her senses were picking up so many emotions, none of which were hopeful, it made her feel worse. Her tears were falling quietly, she had to focus her senses she tugged on her locket so hard she broke the chain. She had to calm down, so much anger, fear, worry, pain and guilt; hers and everyone else's. If she doesn't get it under control she felt like she might explode.

"Batgirl! Batwoman! Spoiler! Come in!" said Damian from the computer, "has the situation been contained?" silence, "Huntress just arrived, do you need more back up?"genuinely concerned. "What? Super-" silence, "He's fine focus on the task at hand! Report back."

Nerissa scanned the cave, rediscovering it, even though she's been training here she still felt out of place. The t-rex, the joker card, the penny, the computers, the sparring area, the bikes and cars, something caught her attention, something she knew existed but never looked at. She stood up and walked towards the Robin costume on display. Cassandra didn't follow when she saw her heading there. Nerissa sat down next to it and hugged Thirteen, she couldn't see the the med bay from there, but she could still feel them.

"Bleeding's under control, he's stable!" stated Alfred in relief after what seemed to be an eternity. "Going in for the bullet." Tim was handing Alfred the tools he needed, and Alfred was giving them to Trish once he was done.

"Wait! Are we sure his blood is thick enough now?" asked Trish.

"Adding another unit of O neg." said Roy. "Come on Jaybird!"

"Remove the bullet," ordered Bruce after checking Jason's blood fluidity.

"Alright, Miss keep suction here and here, Master Tim hold the clamps pull the bullet out on the count of 3, hand me the needle first," Tim executed, "1,2,3" Tim pulled out the bullet rushing it to processing, and Alfred started stitching the open blood vessels together while Trish held the suction. The cave fell into a heavy silence, the only sounds were made by the medical equipment.

"Did you start him on antibiotics?" asked Trish.

"Yes, but I suspect we might need another dose, suction here please." Bruce immediately added a dose. "Very well, time to close the wound."

"Doesn't he have like bullet proof armor and stuff?" questioned Trish noticing all the scars.

"He does,but this is no ordinary bullet. He has a few bruised ribs from the shots that didn't penetrate his armor." Alfred glanced at the worried blonde next to him, "he'll pull through. I'm afraid he's been through far worse."

"Should we remove his helmet?"

"In a moment," Alfred covered the wound and went for the helmet.

"hmpf" grunted Jason suddenly gaining consciousness and trying to sit up. Dick and Roy quickly pushed him down. "Bru-hmpf" his eyes darted from Alfred to Bruce, he then noticed Trish and tried to speak again still struggling to sit up. His heart rate was off the charts.

"SHIT! I thought he was sedated! Hey, hey. Yes, she's here, okay? Crying her eyes out. She'll probably kill you but she's fine." Trish automatically answered noticing Bruce exhaling in relief when he saw Jason conscious.

"Master Jason, I'm afraid I will have to sedate you." Alfred removed the helmet's remains before sedating him and adding painkillers. He sutured the cut on Jason's forehead.

Dick then moved the gurney towards the CT machine. Bruce went to check on the situation at Arkham, Alfred was cleaning up. Trish took a step back trying to find Nerissa in the huge cave but only saw Cassandra and Tim on the computers. She went to Roy who needed her as much as she needed him.

"Thank you," he said hugging her tight "for being you."

"I'm just glad I could help." she kissed him softly.

"BTW, Dr. Somers; beyond hot."

"Your mind is a gutter Harper! Now tell me what happened."they walked around trying to find Nerissa.

Meanwhile, Damian was sitting next to Nerissa in silence at the foot of Jason's costume. Damian's presence calmed her down.

"Is this real?" she whispered.

"Yes," he knew what she meant.

"I don't know which would be worse."

Before Damian could answer Superman flew into the cave straight to Bruce, surprising Nerissa.

"How is he?" asked Clark gently.

"He'll be fine," Bruce answered in his emotionless voice, planning on going back to Arkham.

"The inmates are back in their cells, the girls took care of everything," Clark didn't know if Bruce figured out why he came, "stay with him."

"Thank you for your help Superman." Bruce walked towards the car.

"I heard you Bruce, that's why I came, stay with your son. I'll watch your city." said Clark before noticing Nerissa who was watching the exchange. Seeing as Bruce was unyielding Nerissa decided to intervene. She walked straight to them leaving Damian and Thirteen behind.

"If you want to fix your relationship with him; stay. If it doesn't matter to you and Gotham is more important; go." she said plainly with no emotions, just fatigue.

"That's harsh-" started Clark.

"She's right." sighed Bruce removing his cowl and walking back to Jason's side.

"Wow, that's new!" Clark was amazed, he scanned her with his x-ray vision making sure she's human.

"What did you hear?" she demanded softly.

"I heard him scream, 'not Jason, not again,'" Clark answered without thinking. "Who are you?"

"She's family." cut in Damian who didn't hear what Nerissa asked.

"I'll tell Jon you said hello Damian, I should get going." and he flew out.

"How-?" she asked Damian.

"He has super hearing, super speed, and x-ray vision." Damian noticed the broken chain of her locket in her hand, "let me fix that for you."

"That's creepy." she hands him the chain but keeps the talisman, "thank you Damian" she found Trish.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" asked Trish carefully.

"Useless," she hugged her friend tight, "thank you."

"Roy and I are leaving, I have an early morning." Nerissa nodded.

"So Killer Croc's your sponsor?" Nerissa asked Roy.

"You really tell each other everything?" Roy asked with wide eyes.

"Everything." Trish said proudly, before remembering everything she learned about Nerissa today.

"Listen Jaybird's a hothead, don't blame yourself! He's pulled worse shit for a lot less!" Roy said in attempt to comfort her.

"Thanks Roy." she wanted to walk them to the car but she saw Bruce and Alfred taking Jason towards an elevator she's never seen.

"Just go, I'll see you tomorrow." said Trish.

Nerissa walked towards the elevator but didn't reach it in time. She went towards the stairs and tripped on the first step.

"Fucking fuck!" she screamed. Dick rushed to help her up. "I can't even climb the fucking stairs! Fucking shit!"

"Let's get you a drink." suggested Dick knowing she wasn't going to sleep otherwise. "Guys, call it a night, we'll deal with everything tomorrow." He gave her his arm for support and they went up.

Once in the manor Dick went to the bar, took out a bottle of Scotch and two glasses, he and Nerissa went to the garden. He noticed that Thirteen had copied almost every move Nerissa made.

"She doesn't leave your side." he hands her a glass."He's going to be okay."

"This time," she chugs down her drink and ushers for seconds lighting a cigarette.

"You're right, but this time is more important than the next, because it's now! Don't think about what could have and what could still happen." he sips on his drink.

"Carpe diem crap?" she shrugs, "but I can't stop thinking, what if the bullet was a few inches closer, what if Croc didn't find him-"

"But it wasn't, and he did! You didn't seem too surprised by the Croc thing." His reactions were so genuine.

"Trish and I tell each other everything." she remembered everything Trish learned today.

"Everything?"

"Yep, what were you really doing that day? In Roy's apartment?" gesturing for a refill.

"It's actually Oliver's safe house, Wally asked me to look for something." he yawned setting his glass aside.

"Never thought you'd be a lightweight."

"It's been a long day okay?" he huffed, "come on let's get some sleep." They walked back inside, "and don't worry GSW to the chest doesn't cause erectile dysfunction" he added nudging her shoulder.

"Pig"

"Dick" he corrected.

"Bitch" she barely smiled.

"Jerk" he smiled proudly as they climbed up the stairs, "let's check on him okay?"

They walked towards Jason's room, the door was open and the light was off. Bruce was sitting on the chair next to the bed staring at a sleeping Jason. Dick went inside but Nerissa waited at the door, she never went in before it felt weird going in now.

"Come in," she heard Bruce, so she did. Bruce's anxiety filled the room, he didn't let it show, but she felt it. "Stay if you want to." She sat on the floor under the window and took Thirteen in her lap. Dick said goodnight and left. After a long silence they both spoke at the same time saying the same thing.

"I'm sorry."

"This is my fault why are you sorry?" she asked, "he was pissed because of me that's why he acted on impulse-"

"That's on him not you," he sighed and pointed at Jason, "but this, is on me, I should've protected him, I keep failing him, I should've done more, God knows I should've done more!" no powers were needed to hear the guilt in his usually emotionless voice.

She didn't know what to say so she just sat there in silence staring at Jason's chest making sure he was breathing. It was a very long night and an even longer morning. Nerissa was battling sleep, she wanted to be awake when Jason came to. Bruce didn't move from his seat either. Alfred brought them coffee and some food when he came to check on Jason's wound, they didn't touch it. Until finally early in the afternoon Jason grunted loudly trying to sit up.

"B-Bruce, fuck!" That's when Nerissa's heart started beating again.

"Easy, I'm here, you've been shot lay back down Jay." said Bruce softly.

"Where's she? Is she okay?"

"I'm here, I'm okay," she said rushing to the right side of the bed. The room that was previously filled with worry and anxiety was now filled with relief.

"Do you remember what happened?" asked Bruce.

"In Arkham the guards said Joker's cell was open, so I went to check! Fucking ringing in my ears it wont stop."

"It's a concussion Jason, slower movements." Bruce instructed before leaving,"let me get Alfred."

"You came back" he said with a small smile.

"Are you in pain?" she asked disregarding his comment.

"Loads-"

"Good."

"Good? Princess-" he said in disbelief.

"No, don't you princess me! What were you thinking going in alone?" she was mad.

"I wasn't alone, it happen-"

"Don't lie to me Jason."

"You said you weren't coming back-"

"If you followed me, that's what I said! And even if I did say that you go and nearly get yourself killed?" she saw him looking away in discomfort, "it was a fight Jason, we can't agree on everything." She knelt by his side and said in a softer voice, "IF the day comes and I say I'm not coming back, you'll know," she grazed his cheek and whispered, "I thought I'd lost you."

"I'll always come back to you." he said leaning into her touch. She stood up when she heard Alfred, Bruce and Dick come in.

"My dear perhaps you should get some sleep now." he started checking up on Jason.

"You didn't sleep?" asked Jason in surprise.

"And let anyone else yell at you first? Not a chance Hood-head," she yawned, "I'll just take a power nap, wake me up in like 30 minutes." She sat back on the floor and laid her head on the wall exhaustion finally taking it's toll.

"How are you feeling little wing?"

"I'm fine just get her to bed." Jason shot him a look saying 'don't let Bruce do it'.

Dick quickly went to pick her up.

"I'm up, I'm up!" she said pushing him and trying to get to her feet, clearly half asleep.

"Let's get you to bed,"Dick helped her up and tried to sit her on Jason's bed.

"I sleep on the right too, he needs the bed," her eyelids were droopy, "the floor is fine," she was falling off the bed.

"Yep that's it come on," Dick pick her up bridal style and carried her to her room. He pushed the door open, undid the covers and laid her on the bed. He took off her shoes and glasses and tried tucking her in.

"No, I want to stay with him." she tried to sit up but her body was too exhausted to fight.

"You should sleep, he'll be sleeping too."

"Please wake me up if anything happens," she begged.

"I will, but he's okay, just sleep."

"I don't want to lose him."tears started falling from her shut eyes.

"You won't," Dick wiped away the tears, he was looking at her with so much affection, "you love him, don't you?"

"NO." she said opening her eyes in shock, she saw the way Dick was looking at her, "don't tell him."

"I won't," he smiled warmly and pushed her hair from her face.

"Feed Thirteen please."

"I will, now sleep."

"Don't tell me what to do," she huffed finally falling asleep "bitch".

"Jerk." he kissed her forehead and left.

Dick was walking back to Jason's room when he saw the door closed, he heard the muffled voices of Bruce and Jason. He tried to eavesdrop but was shot with an 'Alfred glare' when Alfred left the room.

"Come on now Master Dick, we have much to do."

Dick went down the stairs smirking with the old butler and kept thinking,'she loves him and he loves her, I just really want to see their faces when they tell each other'.

"Where's Bruce?" asked a panicked Tim running up from the cave busting into the kitchen.

"With Jason, what's going on?" asked Dick while filling the cats' bowls.

"The attack on Arkham was a distraction. A war just started."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 128 30
When countless attacks are enacted within the city of Gotham, there is no answer. No one knows who this criminal is, so they name him Red Hood. Catri...
38.8K 957 21
You've been best friends with Batboys for a very long time. But you don't know all about their crime fighting and vigilantism. After a long night of...
232K 5.2K 40
This is just a place to put all of my ideas that I need to get out of my head. Mostly the bat boys (if you want the bat girls than you can tell me in...
9.2K 129 18
DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN ANYTHING FROM THE DC UNIVERSE CHARACTERS/COMICS