Saving Boromir (A Boromir lov...

By LexiB15

Autumn never dreamed it possible to enter her favorite movie. Of course she loved The Lord of the Rings and T... More

Author's Note:
Prologue:
Chapter 1: Amon SΓ»l
Chapter 2: Rivendell
Chapter 3: Mithrandir and Lord Elrond
Chapter 5: The Pass of Caradhas
Chapter 6: Speak Friend and Enter
Chapter 7: Into the Darkness
Chapter 8: Fool of a Took
Chapter 9: The Balrog
Chapter 10: LothlΓ³rien
Chapter 11: The Plot Deepens
Chapter 12: Growing Pains
Chapter 13: The Horn of Gondor
Chapter 14: Saving Boromir
The Two Towers: Saving Boromir
Chapter I- The Pursuit
Chapter II- Riders of Rohan
Chapter III- The White Wizard
Chapter IV: Thèoden King
Chapter V- The Halls of Meduseld
Chapter VI- The Road to Helm's Deep
Chapter VII- A Healer Amongst the Battle
VIII- Deep Wounds
Chapter IX- The Battle for Helm's Deep

Chapter 4: The Council

4.3K 143 159
By LexiB15

Chapter 4- The Council

The morning came early, and with it came Arwen to help Autumn prepare for the Council. Autumn dared not mention her eavesdropping on the meeting between the Elleth and Aragorn. In fact, it was rather difficult to restrain herself; she wanted nothing more than to bounce up and down in excitement.

Arwen brought with her a napkin of food and a rich, blood-red dress with silver stitching. "This garment will look lovely on you," she said as Autumn munched on the loaf and fruit Arwen had brought along.

"Thank you," Autumn replied with a smile. "It's beautiful."

The Elleth brushed out Autumn's midnight black hair and with skilled fingers, waterfall braided her locks. Then, after what seemed like an eternity, Arwen smiled and said, "There, now you look like a true heir of Estë."

And she did. Her lips were full and red; her eyes were hidden behind long, dark lashes and her eyelids were dusted with silver shadow. She appeared older and wiser than she had before- and the resemblance struck her like a freight train.

She was the spitting image of her mother. She swallowed hard, A mother that never wanted her; that abandoned her as an infant. Her thick black hair was as dark-if, not darker than her father's. "Wow," she murmured under her breath. "I barely recognize myself."

"You look beautiful," the Elleth smiled reassuringly. "Now we need to get you into your dress. The council will be starting soon."

Autumn stripped out of her nightdress and with Arwen's help, managed to slip gracefully into the blood-red gown. The dress was right across her breasts and around her waist but flared out below her torso into a river of Crimson. The sleeves were taut around her wrists but ended in a point-like triangle.

"This dress belonged to my mother," Arwen informed her as she laced the back of the dress. "She wore it the day my father returned from the Battle of Mordor. The red was to honor the lives of the soldiers who had given their lives in the defeat of Sauron."

"Your mother sailed for Valinor," Autumn said softly.

"Yes," Arwen's tone was remorse and perhaps even slightly broken. "My mother had been kidnapped and attacked by the enemies near the Mountains. She was," her voice drifted off, "Broken; humiliated and tortured. It took my brothers many days to find her- and when they did, she was already gone, but they returned her to Imladris anyway."

Precious silver tears pricked the corners of Arwen's eyes as she recalled the incidents. "She was fading," the Elleth continued. "She pleaded with my Ada to allow her to sail from the Grey Havens, and eventually he agreed. I haven't seen her since..." She brushed the tears aside and forced a wide smile. "But you see, this is where we are much alike: both our mothers were of golden hair, yet we both adapted our fathers' dark color."

Autumn chuckled under her breath. Perhaps this sadness that Arwen harbored in her heart for the loss of her mother wasn't so strange after all. Even Autumn missed her mother for the hole that had been burned into her own heart.

"I will walk you to the Garden Gate," Arwen smiled after inspecting the girl once more. "The council will be beginning before too long. I would assume you wish to find a place before the meeting."

The two women walked in thoughtful silence as they made their way down the forest paths and towards the heart of Imladris. Already several familiar figures were spotted further up the trail and Arwen dipped her head. "I shall see you after the meeting, but I dare not follow you any farther. My father would not approve of it, I'm afraid. Until later, Amin Mellon," she smiled before bidding farewell to Autumn.

Autumn brought her hand up and waved goodbye to her friend. "I'll see you later, Arwen."

Aragorn and Frodo were just turning into the path from one of the domed buildings. Both looked weary and tired; Aragorn still in his velvety-blue garments from the night before, and Frodo back in his travel garments. White bandages poked up from beneath his blouse; the remains of what had happened all those nights before.

"Good morning, Lady Autumn," Aragorn greeted her with a curt nod. "How was your night?"

Autumn furrowed her brow. She couldn't remember anything- other than spotting Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge. "It was alright," she decided.

Frodo was watching her with the strangest expression. His blue eyes were clouded with anxiety and curly, chestnut hair was unruly and tangled. He said nothing to her, and it was clear that he still didn't know what to think of her.

The trio made their way towards a gated courtyard where already the other members of the Council had settled. The Dwarves claimed a spot near the outside of the circle on the far left and next to them, sat Boromir and several other representatives. To their right, the Elves were seated, looking very regal and proper. There were four empty seats on Legolas' right and Gandalf was nowhere to be seen. In the center of the circle was a stone plinth designed with intricate carvings.

There was an uneasy silence over the courtyard, but as Autumn made her way into the circle, the silence fled. "What is a woman doing here?" One of the representatives demanded harshly.

"Aye," a Dwarf-perhaps Gloin- agreed. "'Tis bad luck to have a woman present in such matters."

Autumn opened her mouth to object, but was silenced by Elrond's raised hand. "She is an honored guest, sirs. Lady Autumn has traveled an even greater distance than Lord Boromir or even the Dwarves of the Iron Mountains."

Autumn's face colored slightly at the heads that turned to face her. It was clear that the Elves knew of her descent- they were practically psychic anyway- because they looked upon her with a sort of reverence.

Aragorn took a seat next to Legolas, leaving a seat for the Wizard to his right, and then Frodo and Autumn took their places. The Circle was alive with whispers as Elrond watched them with dark eyes.

"Confound the damn wizard!" One of the men grumbled. "He's always late."

"On the contrary," Autumn said, straight in her posture in the hard-back chair. "A Wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he intends to."

"Ah," the cheery voice of the Wizard chuckled from behind her. "Very well said, my Lady. I apologize, I was taking care of some... Eavesdroppers," his caterpillar eyebrows furrowed towards the archways.

Once everyone had been seated in the circle, Elrond stood from his position to greet them. "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor," he scanned the courtyard, locking eyes with all of the representatives. "Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite," he stared at the Dwarves and then to the Elves, "Or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom." He gestured to the Hobbit and nodded. "Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

The Hobbit beside Autumn stood shakily to his feet and uneasily made his way to the small pillar in the center of the courtyard. His footfalls were heavy and his breathing was labored- it almost seemed as if everything was moving in slow-motion for the Halfling. His fingers went to his pocket where he carefully removed a small, golden circlet.

The Ring, even now, was whispering to Autumn, tempting her to reach out and take it. She could disappear and easily escape the others... She could make it back home with the Ring. Or she could stay here, and become one of the Queens herself- that would surely show her mother.

As Frodo returned to his seat, his glassy eyes and shaky hands reminded her of a feverish person. "Are you alright?" She whispered to the Hobbit.

"Yes," he lied, well-aware of both Autumn and Gandalf's eyes searching him for any sign of dishonesty.

"So it's true," Boromir whispered thoughtfully, bringing his hand to his bearded chin.

Autumn felt her heart skip a beat at the sound of his voice. There was something about him that she just couldn't put her finger on. Meanwhile everyone, it seemed, was focused on the Ring that now controlled the future of Middle-Earth.

"In a dream," Boromir was saying as he stood to his feet. "I saw the Eastern sky grow dark... And in the West, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, your doom is near at hand," he inched closer to the plinth in the center of the circle. "Isildur's bane is found," he murmured, reaching out for the Ring. "Isildur's Bane is found," the man of Gondor repeated to himself.

Elrond jumped to his feet. "Boromir!"

The sky began to darken and Gandalf stood to his feet and began to speak in Black Speech. The bright autumn light was fleeting to a mask of darkness and gloom. Thick, gray clouds rolled in, obstructing the sun and the earth rumbled and quaked. All the while, Boromir inched backward and to his seat.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul," Gandalf's voice brought upon the representatives great pain. "Ash nazg thrakatulûk."Elrond held his head in pain and even Legolas closed his eyes with a grimace. "Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Once Gandalf had finished his recitation, the sky cleared and the sun reappeared. Everyone looked shocked and even Autumn was rubbing her temples with the aftermath of the Black Speech.

"Never before has anyone uttered words of that tongue here in Imladris," Elrond shot an accusing and angry look toward the Grey Pilgrim.

Wearily the Wizard took his seat once more. "I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond," Gandalf glared at everyone within the Circle. "For the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West. The Ring is altogether evil."

"It is a gift!" Boromir whispered, eying the Ring maliciously. "A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring?" he stood again, defying Gandalf. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people, are your lands kept safe!"

Aragorn shifted in his seat uneasily.

"Give Gondor the weapon of the Enemy!" Boromir continued. "We can wield it against him!" He locked eyes with Autumn and her heart raced once more.

What was he doing to her? She wondered.

"You cannot wield it," Aragorn finally said, speaking for the first time. "None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."

Scathingly, the Man of Gondor turned to Aragorn and scoffed. "And what would a mere Ranger know of this matter?"

"This is no mere Ranger!" exclaimed Legolas, jumping to his feet to defend Strider. "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." His voice was as smooth as marble and to her shame, Autumn couldn't help but find comfort in his words.

Boromir looked at Aragorn in disbelief. His soft, grey-green eyes were full of shock and even loathing. "Aragorn?" He repeated dumbly. "This.. is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." Legolas continued with a fire in his eyes.

"Havo dad, Legolas," Aragorn gestured to the Elf, who begrudgingly consented and returned to his seat.

"Gondor has no King," Boromir leered at Legolas. "Gondor needs no King," he shot at Aragorn as he sauntered back to his seat.

Autumn found herself glaring at the man who had consumed her every thought from the moment she met him. She had forgotten what a douche he had been in the beginning.

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf confessed. "We cannot use it."

"You have only one choice..." Elrond's voice drifted off.

"The Ring must be destroyed," Autumn finished for him.

She caught the attention of the men once more and already she felt the color returning to her cheeks. Boromir seemed to be watching her with a puzzled expression and finally, resemblance struck him. This was the maiden he'd encountered the day before.

Gimli leaped to his feet. "Well what are we waiting for?" he strutted toward the center pillar and heaved his ax over his shoulder only to bring it down upon the Ring. The ax shattered into a million pieces, sending airborne pieces of steel in every direction. The dwarf was thrown backward and onto the ground, where his companions came to his aid and pulled him back to his chair.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli," Elrond was saying with a hint of a smirk on his lips. "Son of Gloin, by any craft we here possess. The Ring was forged in the fires of Mount Doom, and only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!" he paused, searching the room. "One of you must do this."

The Council sat in silence while processing the task at hand.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir spoke again, rubbing the scruff of his beard. "It's Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men can you do this. It is folly."

Boromir spoke as if he had seen firsthand the land and its plagues. Perhaps he had, Autumn thought. But there was one thing the whole Council can be sure if- she was going to help destroy the Ring.

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said?" Legolas exclaimed once more as he jumped to his feet. "The Ring must be destroyed!"

"And it will be destroyed," Autumn grumbled under her breath.

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it!" Gimli yelled, pointing accusingly at Legolas.

Legolas said nothing but resorted to glaring at the dwarf.

"And if we fail? What then?" Boromir questioned as he jumped to his feet. "What happens if Sauron takes back what is his?"

Gimli leaped to his feet. "I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" he thundered.

Suddenly everyone was on their feet, accusing one another of planning on taking the Rung for themselves, and arguing bitterly. Autumn was pulled into the mob of angry shouting as well when one of the Men muttered something about women being unfit to help in matters of state. "I beg your pardon, sir," Autumn hissed, jabbing her finger into the man's chest. "But I can assure you that whatever you can do, I can do it better."

The man smirked, "Is that so?"

"Oh, it is on!" Autumn growled, forgetting all proper mannerisms and etiquette. Her eyes were filled with a sort of fire and at the moment, she was holding her own in this verbal argument.

"Never trust an Elf!" Gimli was shouting. He was standing on his chair now which managed to gain him some height in doing so.

"Do you not understand?" Gandalf joined in the argument. "That while we bicker among ourselves, Sauron's power grows! No one will escape it! You will be destroyed, your homes burnt and your families put to the sword!"

Unaware to everyone else, Frodo's heartbeat increased rapidly and he was shaking. The Ring was speaking to him; whispering into his mind and while the others argued, its hold on him grew. "I will take it..." he whispered, his voice soft and inaudible.

The arguments raged on in ever-increasing loudness. The council couldn't hear him. Boromir's attention had once more turned to the dark-haired woman and the way her temper had consumed her. Autumn's voice, though raised and dripping with malice, was elegant and her body poised. She was the daughter of a great ruler, he concluded with stormy eyes.

"I will take the Ring to Mordor," a small voice announced again; this time louder.

There was foreboding silence that overtook the Council as everyone slowly began to process what was happening. Gandalf's face fell into remorse. It was obvious that the Wizard cared for the Hobbit and hearing that the boy was to take on such a terrible journey was surely breaking his heart.

"Though..." Frodo's voice drifted off and his fist enclosed around the Ring. "I do not know the way."

Gandalf turned to Frodo with a look of urgency. "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear."

Aragorn hurried out of his seat and to the Hobbit's side. "If by life or death I can protect you, I will," Aragorn promised, kneeling before Frodo. "You have my sword."

"And my bow," Legolas smiled, joining the growing group.

"And my ax," Gimli added

Boromir sighed and solemnly approached the men that had formed a circle around the Halfling. "You carry the fate of us all, little one," his grey-green eyes gleamed with curiosity. "If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done."

Autumn smiled softly. Perhaps Boromir wasn't so awful after all. Perhaps he even had a heart.

There was a rustling noise off to the side, near the gate and a familiar voice called out: "Here! Mister Frodo's not going anywhere without me!" Sam came hustling forward to take his place next to his friend.

"No indeed," Elrond chuckled. "It is hardly possible to separate you two, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."

Sam colored softly.

Merry and Pippin came bounding from the archway across the garden. "Oi!" Merry shouted. "We're coming too!"

Elrond rolled his eyes; he loathed spying and Autumn could tell by Gandalf's troubled expression that Merry and Pippin had been the 'eavesdroppers' he had mentioned earlier.

"You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us," Merry added with a smile.

"Anyway, you need people of intelligent sorts on the sort of mission... quest... thing," Pippin said smugly.

Merry shot him a look. "Well, that rules you out, Pip."

Autumn chuckled and turned to Elrond uncertainly. "I have been brought to the Arda for a reason, my lord; you cannot deny that. If the Council grants me this one opportunity to prove myself, I promise I will not fail you. It is by the power of the Valar that I am here," her eyes were pleading and already the stone-faced Lord of Imladris was softening.

"Very well," Elrond said after a silence.

Autumn grinned. "Thank you," she smiled before finally turning her attention to Frodo. "My dear Mister Baggins, you have my loyalty and protection wherever and whenever it may be required. I only ask that you grant me this chance to prove myself."

"Oh, give 'er a chance, Mister Frodo," Sam said, nudging his friend. "She's already saved you twice."

Frodo nodded uncertainly. "Alright."

Elrond sighed. "Ten companions..." he marveled with a clouded expression. "So be it. You shall be the "Fellowship of the Ring'." He announced.

"Great!" Pippin smiled and then frowned. "Where are we going?"

----------------------------------------------

The next few days were filled with preparation to depart from Imladris and head off in the direction of Mordor. Rations were gathered, light armor prepared, weapons sharpened, satchels packed, bedrolls prepared, and other miscellaneous items stowed away for future use.

Autumn found herself often in the company of Legolas and Aragorn as the two men helped prepare her for the journey. The Elf offered to instruct her on archery and she gladly accepted. The two met in the cool of the morning in the gardens to practice before they head off.

"I think you'll find this bow to your satisfaction," the Elf smiled, handing mahogany recurve to Autumn. "It once belonged to the Captain of the Guard in Mirkwood." The bow's neck had once been broken, Legolas had told her. But the Elleth it had belonged to was very dear to him, and he made sure that it was mended.

"What was her name?" Autumn asked, rubbing her hand down the smooth wood.

A faint smile crossed Legolas' thin lips. "Tauriel," he answered. "Her name was Tauriel."

"What was she like?" Autumn asked, cocking her head to the side.

"She was stubborn," he chuckled, his eyes gleaming with memory. "Very beautiful and dangerous... But her favorite thing in the world were the stars."

"What happened to her?"

Darkness foreshadowed his handsome face. "She faded," he answered softly. "Her heart was broken at the passing of her lover."

Autumn winced, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"Nay," the Prince objected. "You were curious, my lady. By all means, the right was yours." He handed a quiver of blue feather-plumed arrows to the dark-haired maiden. "Let us see how well you do with a bow."

Legolas brandished his white bow and took a yellow-feathered arrow from over his shoulder. "Nock the arrow- yes, like that. Now pull the string and arrow back until it brushes your cheek."

Autumn brought her right arm back while her left balanced the neck of the bow. The feather brushed the skin of her cheek and the string trembled between the index and middle finger. "Like this?" She asked.

"Yes, now focus on your target; release the arrow as you exhale," Legolas' voice was soft and level as he instructed the maiden.

Autumn inhaled slowly and as she let the oxygen from her lungs out, her arrow flew from her bowstring and embedded itself into the inner ring of the target. "I did it!" She smiled with the victory.

"You did well, my lady," the Elven Prince replied, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Perhaps you could hit the bullseye your next turn."

Hours crawled by Legolas continued to instruct Autumn on the proper skills needed to become a great archer. According to the Elf, she was a natural and talented bow-woman.

Autumn spent her afternoons with Aragorn as he taught her to defend herself with a blade. She was a quick learner and it became apparent to all that despite living in another world for all her life, swordplay and archery were deeply rooted in her veins.

"Where did you find that blade?" Aragorn asked her one afternoon.

"In the Watch Tower," she answered blasé. "I needed something to defend myself with and it was the first thing I saw." She extended the broadsword to the Ranger and he took it, examining the blade and hilt.

"It is of Elvish make," he revealed taking a swing with the sword. "The hilt is spiraled and entwined with vines- perhaps a sigil to Lord Irmo and his Gardens of Lorien. But the blade, it's dragon-forged steel; it must have belonged to a great warrior." He returned the blade with an encouraging smile. "You handle it well- for a woman," he added with a wink.

----------------------------------------------

As the morning of their departure arrived, Autumn dressed in a pair of black flannel-lined leggings, her boots, under armor, and leather jacket. Arwen had supplied with a pair of bracers and even laundered her clothes for her. Once everything she had arrived with was packed away, Autumn ate a quick breakfast with her friend before the call to the Gates.

"What troubles you?" Autumn asked her friend through a mouthful of seed rolls.

Arwen's eyes were dull and surrounded by dark circles. "I'm fine," she lied with a smile.

But Autumn knew better than that- if she remembered correctly, Elrond had persuaded Aragorn to end his relationship with the Elleth- and he had. He had tried to return the Evenstar necklace but Arwen had refused, claiming that "It was a gift" and he should "Keep it."

"Are you sure?" Autumn pressed.

"I worry about your journey," Arwen confessed. "I worry for Aragorn and for you, Mellon."

"The two of us will be fine," Autumn promised. "I think you'll find that everything will end the way it is supposed to."

Arwen's eyes filled with slight alarm, "You mustn't change the course of the journey. Everything must go according to history."

Autumn swallowed, "I'll try not to change it."

But she already had- her being here was already reshaping the timeline.

Arwen smiled, "We must make for the Gate. Everyone will be wondering where you are."

We made our way quickly to the East Gate where my companions were beginning to gather. Boromir stood there with his shield over his shoulder and the Horn of Gondor swaying from a cord around his neck. He was handsome but his face was hard this morning.

Legolas greeted me with a smile on his thin lips and a twinkle in his blue eyes. "My lady," he dipped his head.

"My Prince," Autumn smirked, reassuring the bow and quiver over her shoulder. The sword at her side bumped into her leg, but she didn't pay much attention to it.

Something sparked in Boromir's eyes as he finally turned to face her. He seemed to be assessing every little thing about her; from her garments to her face. Wordlessly he turned back to face the Elves who stood across from them.

Elrond stood there with his two sons Elrohir and Elladan, and his daughter, Arwen. Lindir stood there also, but he was watching Autumn with a sort of remorse unlike the other who smiled graciously at her departure. "The Ringbearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom," Elrond stated, turning his eyes to face the Fellowship. "And you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will."

Arwen who dropped her head, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"Farewell," Elrond bowed his head. "Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of Elves," he nodded at Legolas. "And men," his eyes fell on Boromir, Aragorn, and Autumn. "And all free folk," he dipped his head at the sight of the Dwarf and Hobbits, "Go with you." He raised both his hands and blessed them.

"The Fellowship," Gandalf smiled softly, gripping his staff tightly. "Awaits the Ring-bearer."

Frodo turned to face the Fellowship nervously, before turning around and slowly leading his company through the arches and out of the realm of Imladris.

Autumn brought her hand up and slowly waved farewell to her friend Arwen and followed her company through the Gates and into the woods. Her heart was thumping wildly against her chest; This was really happening. She was going on an adventure.

"Mordor," she heard Frodo squeak. "Gandalf, is it left or right ?"

Gandalf placed a hand on his shoulder and pointed the Hobbit in the correct direction. "Left."

Autumn brought up the rear of the Fellowship, walking behind Sam as he led his pony, Bill, who carried most of the rations and bedrolls. Moments later she was joined by Aragorn who had bid farewell to Arwen for what he thought would be the last time.

"You'll see her again," Autumn promised.

Aragorn looked up sadly with grey-blue eyes. "I hope so."

___________________________

Hello!

Sorry for the late update, I've been away from my laptop for the past couple weeks! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 697 25
Y/N Y/L/N is an 19 year old outgoing , funny , smart , pretty girl. She of course loves the lord of the rings and the hobbit movies and books thanks...
413K 10.6K 32
War is brewing, and the people of Middle Earth are preparing for it. Among them is Averael: a Ranger from the North, and one of the last of the Duned...
7.6K 157 37
"The Fellowship is broken. Frodo and Sam are on their way to Mordor. Boromir is dead. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are on their way to Rohan. Merry, P...
141K 4K 43
She was an accident. That's what she really was. Born a royal. Raised a commoner. An insignificant girl, born to have children and make her future hu...