Love Me Again: Business Marri...

By Princess--

Matt and Veronica shared a love story. A love story that failed to have a happy ever after. Both of them thou... More

[Chapter 1]
[Chapter 3]
[Chapter 4]
[Chapter 5]
[Chapter 6]
[Chapter 7]
[Chapter 8]
[Chapter 9]
[Chapter 10]
[Chapter 11]
[Chapter 12]
[Epilogue]

[Chapter 2]

19.8K 480 13
By Princess--

 Chapter 2

“I wasn't expecting what I saw…”

His eyebrows met.

“What do you exactly mean by that Dad?” he asked his dad who was slouched on the couch. If he hadn't visited his office, he could have devoured Veronica by all means. His throat felt dry just thinking about it. He tried to keep his full attention to his father.

“It’s my way of saying I’m glad, son.” Mr.Elezar chuckled and patted his son on the back. “This wedding is one of my biggest dreams. I knew you two were good for each other. I wish you had met a long time before… You could’ve had enough time to know each other.”

His jaws clenched. I’ve known her long enough, Dad…

“I’m sorry if I ruined the moment but I came for something important. Today is the best time to talk about this since I’ll be out of the country for a week.”

He nodded. He was aware of his dad's business transactions in Australia. “About what Dad?”

“This whole thing,” his father's eyes were fixed on his. “I just thought, it is not fair for you, son. I want this wedding to happen. And I can do all that it takes to make this work. But just so you know-” his dad handed him papers.

“I had the will changed,” he added which made Matt stop looking through them. “You have no threat anymore.”

“You gotta be kidding me!” he shouted. What the hell? He couldn't believe what he was reading. His tone was low, despite clear anger. “What the hell is this, Dad? What if I decide to back out now?”

“Which I know you won’t.”

He exhaled.

“Wanna bet on that?” Was he going to marry the woman whom he hated so much?

Mr.Elezar laughed while shaking his head, setting his suitcase on the table.

“Easy on the bet, son.” He squeezed Matt’s broad shoulders. “After what I just saw, I know I’m going to win. Though, it made me wonder… how could you have fallen so easily?” he added and gave Matt a meaningful smile.

“Pardon?”

“You can never lie. I saw the way you looked at Veronica. And I'm very familiar with those looks," he winked and laughed even more.

“I’m not in love with her.” he answered coldly. Yes, he might want to do her but that doesn’t mean anything at all. He hates her. And that would never change no matter how sweet her lips were.

“Defensive, aren’t we?” Mr.Elezar's grin was all the way up to his ears. “As I told you son, if you should marry her, it won’t be because of the will.”

Was he going to marry her? He cleared his throat.

“Do you want the wedding to happen or not?” Matt was serious.

The mood went from happy to somber. “You already know my answer."

“Then I’ll marry her.” he replied bluntly. “I guess…I’ll marry her for no reason at all.” He stuffed his hands in his pocket and looked out the window.

Mr.Elezar stared at Matt confused, wondering what was going through his son's mind.

“Do it your way. I’m sure, the moment she walked through your door you’ve found your reason. You just need time to know what it is, son.”

I hate her… that is the only reason I’m marrying her. But you wouldn’t want to hear this, Dad. You wouldn’t want to see me breaking her heart as she had broken mine.

He firmly closed his eyes. It's been ten years since the day his heart died but the memory stayed so fresh in his mind. He tried so hard to forget about it.

Ten years ago...

”Veronica, let’s talk.” he begged as he grabbed her wrist. Veronica quickly waved it off.

She went missing for one whole week. He was worried like hell. And now, she was acting like she didn’t know him. What the hell is happening? He wanted to hug her so bad but she seemed like a completely different person.

She gave him a flat stare. “You got my letter, didn’t you? I’ve said it all there. What part don't you understand?”

“What letter?” he wrinkled his forehead. “If there's a problem, we can talk it out."

Veronica bit her lip but her eyes were as cold as ice. He couldn't recognize this woman anymore...

Veronica was in love with him. He knows that. He feels that. But why was she acting so stubborn? Why was she acting like there was never anything between them? What the hell happened last week?

“I want to stop." she replied.

Pain sliced through his soul and he stood in front of her speechless. That wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"I don't like you anymore. It's as simple as that. So please, stay away from me." He caught a hold of her arm just as she was turning around to walk out.

“Let go of me!” she protested.

“I-I need an explanation.” he stammered as his eyes narrowed in irritation. "You disappeared for one week, you made me worried as hell and now you're greeting me with 'I want to stop'?” He was having a hard time talking. "What in the world is this about? I can't find any reason. Why should-"

“Please, Matt,” she cut him off. “I know what kind of relationship we had. But I never promised you anything."

“Yeah, right. Except you’d love me forever.”

She smiled bitterly, "I don't love you anymore." she muttered. He felt like he was going deaf. A lump formed in his throat and he felt like he was choking.

"What's the use of a promise I no longer feel?"

“That,” his nose flared from fury and his jaws were clenched. He spoke through his gritted teeth. “Is the biggest lie I’ve ever heard.” He grabbed her arm and faced her towards him.

“You can think whatever you want. But nothing will change; everything between us is over now.”

“You promised me.” he was on the edge of crying. But he won’t cry for just a girl. Veronica is just a girl. He can die but he will never cry. He quickly wiped away the tears forming in his eyes before it had a chance to fall. “You promised.”

“I’m sorry.” was all Veronica said before releasing her arm from his hold and running towards her car. "I don't want to see you again.

His heart was shattered. The white van drove past him but he could do nothing but stand there in the rain. When it was finally out of sight, he shouted and punched the cement wall. The students merely looked at him and walked away and not one of them bothered to try and stop him. He took his rage out on the wall and with every jab his emotions rushed out. He felt the pulsing ache of his bloody fists but it was nothing compared to the one in his heart.

A folded piece of paper fell out of his polo shirt. He saw it at his locker this morning.

His hands shook as he slowly opened it and started reading.

Matt,

I don’t know how to start this letter. But I’ll try to make it simple.

 I need space.

 I need to breathe.

 I don’t know how it happened... But I’ve woken up from all this stupidness.

 I NEVER WANTED A SIMPLE LIFE- which is all you can give.

 I can’t risk my future with you. I know you love me but the feeling isn’t the same anymore. It’s over between us.

 I know you will find someone who can love you back.

 I’m sorry.

Veronica

Matt crumpled up the paper.

He spent many days waiting for her every morning and after school hoping he’d catch her after class but he never did. He couldn’t take it anymore and asked one of her schoolmates.

“Mrs. Smith said she went to Brazil a few days ago.”

He went insane. It took him a few seconds to realize that he was running like a wildman to Veronica’s house.

He felt like dying. His shoulders fell as he approached the abandoned house. How could she do this to me? He thought to himself.

“Matt?”

Matt suddenly snapped back to reality. It was then when he realized his fists were clasped tightly, vigorously shaking.

He sighed and looked at his dad who was studying the expression on his face.

“Take a break, son.” Mr.Elezar stood up and picked up his suitcase. He straightened up his collar and fixed his tie. “I’m having dinner with a client so I’ve got to go now.”

He nodded. “Yeah, Dad. I’ll go somewhere to relax after these,” he turned to his desk.

“Do that.”

●●●

“I thought you had a date, Veronica.”

She smiled at her Dad. He was sitting on his favorite couch, reading a book.

She loved her Dad so much. He’s the only reason she wanted to keep living. She would do all it takes to make him happy.

“Something wrong?” he sat up and set down his book, looking concerned. “I thought you’re having a date with Matt.”

“Y-Yeah, Dad.” She responded. “Uhmm… We postponed it. He’s kind of busy right now and I perfectly understand that-”

“Well, I perfectly don’t.” He quickly cut her off. “For years I believed he was the right man for you. I was so sure of that. But now, I have my doubts. Maybe we should think again about this wedding, Nica.” He stood and came to her.

Her Dad had prepared her for this since she was sixteen. After ten years, he’s having doubts? And what else? Was he going to take back his words? Two weeks more and it’s going to be her wedding day. They’ve done everything. Was she really hearing this from him?

“Matt is perfect, Dad.” She announced. Now that she has a chance not to push through with the wedding, she knew in her heart that she still wanted to do it. She wanted to pity herself. Is it only her that wants this marriage? What’s going on?

“He has to do a lot to prove that.” He leaned his head to the side and raised his eyebrows.

“He just needs time, Dad. W-We talked and we are old enough to understand where we are heading and what we have to do.”

“If it’s the company-”

“No, Dad. The company has nothing to do with this, though it will surely benefit from this marriage, but no. It’s not the company…It’s... It’s just... We want to get married. Everything is ready. And I’m happy about this.

Mr. Sandoval scanned his daughter’s face.

“If not now, when? If not with Matt, with whom? It’s just a matter of time, Dad. I’m going to be a bride. If the time is now, then, it is now. I want to have a family of my own… just like the one we have. I want to share my life with someone like the way Mom shared her life to you…And if it is Matt, I am more than willing to accept him in my life… Actually, I have accepted him long enough.” Her voice was scratchy thick with emotions.

Mr.Sandoval couldn’t believe the words coming out of his daughter’s lips.

“That’s…” he was speechless, “Unbelievable.”

She tried to smile. She wanted her Dad to feel as if she was happy with his decision for her. “I’m going to marry him not because you told me to, not because of the company or anything else but because I feel so right about this. So you don’t have to worry, Dad.”

“He’s one lucky man.” There was a playful smile on his lips, and he leaned closer and kissed his daughter on the forehead. “I never expected you to say these things, Nica. I’m relieved. I thought you hated me for this.”

“Yeah Dad, I hated you before. But I love you, you know that right?”

He smiled.

“I understand everything now, Dad. Don’t worry.”

Before, she was angry at her dad. But when she found out the reason for him and her uncle’s deal, she understood everything. It was her mom’s last words. So she accepted it. Even though it meant leaving her one and only true love. It was early this year when she found out who the man she was going to marry was. She felt every single emotion that ever existed the moment she found out that the man arranged to marry her was none other than Matt.

“Thank you, Veronica. But I kind of regret it… I just gave someone the authority to steal my princess away.” He sighed.

She flashed him a loving smile. She quickly dabbed her tears. “I’m not going anywhere far from you, Dad. That’s a promise. You’ll just have to accept that you’re having a son.”

He nodded. “I need to talk to that young man.”

“Just talk, Dad.” She reminded him. She knew her dad well enough. “No threats, blackmails whatever.

“Plain talk.” He assured her, putting his arms around her shoulders. “I have nothing more to say, Nica, but thank you... And I love you.”

“Same here, Dad… I love you so much,” she leaned closer and kissed him on the cheek.

“Are you sure today was the first time you met Matt?”

Veronica drew a deep breath and nodded, along with a smile.

Mr. Sandoval shook his head and chuckled. “Nah, don’t mind me… I just got the impression that you’ve been in love with him for a long time.”

She didn’t know how to answer.

A loud ring from the phone interrupted their conversation, “I’ll get it. Go, freshen up.”

She nodded and went up to her room stopping by the kitchen for a cold drink. She exhaled when she closed her door. She flopped on her bed and rolled on her back, staring at the ceiling. She firmly closed her eyes and just like every night of her life since she was sixteen, Matt’s face invaded her thoughts. She felt tears forming in her eyes.

She misses him. And it pains her knowing he doesn’t feel the same.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. She quickly dabbed her tears and checked herself out in the mirror. She opened the door after taking a deep breath.

Matt greeted her. “Surprised?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181 29 9
"I may have got a wrong inference or even right, but I intend to keep showing you what is in my heart," he said taking her hand and placing it on his...
3.8M 107K 35
Selected by Cadbury Sweet Escapes A Wattpad Featured Story A rom-com that will make you laugh, cry, scream, pull your hair out, and start singing (m...
1.3K 67 21
Sticky notes that can bring two person together. Ashley never stop trying and challenging herself. She was deeply in love with Scott but the main pro...
12.9K 373 41
[COMPLETED] [35,000 - 40,000 WORDS] It's been two years since Veronica and Jughead broke up. Veronica moved back to New York and has new friends and...