Perfectly Imperfect

By Rihanna_Adedeji

We're all broken, all beautifully Imperfect. They say these would be the best days of our lives but does that... More

Perfectly Imperfect
Meet The Characters ๐Ÿ’–
Prologue
~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~26~
~27~
~28~
~29~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
~36~
~37~
~38~
~39~
~40~
~41~
~42~
~43~
~44~
~45~
~46~
~47~
~48~
~49~
~50~
~51~
~52~
~53~
~54~
~55~
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
Rant
87
88
89
90
91A
91B
Book Finale
Author's Note

~12~

2.6K 884 407
By Rihanna_Adedeji

                               ~Kunmi~

It was Aminah's birthday and I was in front of the vanity mirror in my room with mom's makeup artist doing my makeup. This morning when I reminded mom that I was attending a friend's birthday, the first thing she did was to call her makeup artist. When I insisted that I did not need a makeup artist, she said.

"Kunmi, come on, it's a party. You have to dress to kill. Don't allow other girls there to kill your shine.".

"But mom....."

She put her second finger out to shush me.

"No arguments Kunmi, Tara is already coming over. You're going to go out there all beautiful. You should be like your sister. She'd never go to a party without dressing up."

I bit the inside of my tongue to stop myself from replying. The worst words from my mom's mouth were Unlike your sister, you should be like your sister when I'm not my sister.

And so I did not say anything else and now, Tara was putting the finishing touch to my makeup. She moved back when she was done with a huge smile on her face.

"Now, look at yourself. You look like a princess."

I raised my eyebrows. What princess? I like the girl in the mirror. I'd told her that I did not want nude makeup and that was exactly what she did on my face.

"It's fine."

I muttered when I noticed that she was waiting for comment and her face broke into a smile when I said that.

"Of course, it'd be fine. It's my handiwork na. And you have the perfect face for makeup. It was so easy to blend everything."

I smiled and started to stand when she gestured for me to sit back.

"Pictures first dear."

I sat back and put on a smile as she took my pictures. I wasn't a fan of snapping pictures. My body would become stiff whenever I was in front of the camera.

"Smile Smile."

I smiled as she continued to take the pictures. She smiled when she was done. She sha likes to smile ehn.

"Ehn ehn. Good. See fine girl. You should become a face model for my brand na."

I smiled. Face model ko.

"Oya, where is your gown? You should wear it so we'd snap full pictures downstairs."

What? This Aunty no dey get tired of snapping pictures. I picked a gown from my closet. It was a gown Mayowa had designed for me before she left for the states. A black flair short gown that stopped a little after my knees. Tara smiled when I finished putting the gown on.

"Oh God! Look at you. You look like a character out of a fairy tale."

An unconscious smile spread on my lips as I stared at the girl in the mirror. She looked pretty with her long hair falling across the full length of her shoulder and the flair gown hiding all of her fat. Her nude makeup highlighted all her facial features. She looked really pretty.

Too bad I did not feel like her.

"Let's go downstairs. It's getting late and I'm pretty sure you don't want to be late for the party.

Absolutely. The last thing I needed was to show up at the party when people were already there.

Dotun, my brother was playing video games with his friend whose name I couldn't remember. He's the younger brother of Mayowa's friend. The leach who was was always obscenely touching Mayowa but she seems not to have a problem with it. They moved to the house beside ours like 3 months ago and it's surprising how easily they all became friends.

"Aahn Hahn. See how my sister is fine."

Dotun whined without even looking up from the tab he was holding. See this boy oo but I still couldn't help the smile that crept up to my lips.

Almost 40 minutes later, I was sitting in the back seat of mom's car and the driver was driving to Aminah's house. The party was to start at 6 pm and it was just a little past 5. Mom had told me that I should get home latest by 9 pm. I did not even plan on staying longer than that. I did not want to be at a party when it'd be like an after-party. A Naija after-party. When everyone would be drunk and they'd start acting rowdy and dirty and all.

It was only when The driver stopped in front of what should be Aminah's house that I realized the gravity of what I was about to do. I was about to attend a party. Attend a party? The party of the most popular girl in school. The party I'm pretty sure would have students from other schools in attendance.

What am I doing here?

This is not my scene.

I should just tell the driver to turn and drive back home.

But.....

"Oluwabukunmi, are you not going to get down?"

The driver, a middle-aged man asked and I met his eyes in the rearview mirror. He must have gaged my expression because he smiled and said;

"Just go and have fun at the party. Pretty sure you'd enjoy it."

I'm not pretty sure I'd enjoy it but at the minute, I knew I had no choice but to get down from the car.

And that's what I did.

                               ************

Aminah's face dissolved into a huge smile when she saw me. I just stepped into their way too huge sitting room when I saw her descending the stairs.

"Oh, Kunmi, you made it? I'm so glad you were able to make it."

She covered the distance between us in huge strides and she hugged me, careful not to allow our faces to touch because of the makeup. We pulled back at the same time and I smiled at her.

"Happy birthday and you look so beautiful."

"Oh, come on" She dismissed with a wave of her right hand but that still doesn't a smile from forming on her lips.

"And you look pretty by the way. Your makeup artist must be very good. Come, let's go to my room. I'm still getting dressed. Only Tolase is around."

She started walking toward the stairs and my stomach settled into huge knots and I couldn't place the reason.

Probably because of the party.

I glanced around the sitting room again, the chairs were pulled back to the wall putting a huge space in the middle of the room. Some couches were arranged at specific corners to form a circle or semi-circles. From the looks of it, the room can even contain more than 150 people at a time. An actual bar had also been set up at one corner, with actual bar stools and I was sure there'd even be a bartender self. It was only when I was about to climb the stairs that I noticed a DJ in the corner of the space that should be their dining room. I climbed the stairs and Aminah led me to her room. It was a huge room with a very huge bed, the teddy bears on the bed would be plenty than the number of people living in the house self and they were in various colors; red, pink, blue, white and the likes. I glanced around taking in the colors and the artworks adorning the hall.

"Hey Guys, meet my friend, Kunmi."

It was only when Aminah spoke that I was snapped out of my reverie and noticed the five girls in the room. It was only Tolase I recognized.

"Kunmi, my friends, Bola, Christy, Tolu, and Josephine. You know Tolase already."

I nodded and muttered a low hi to the girls. The one I assumed to be Bola was doing her makeup in front of the mirror and she looked at me with her eyebrows raised before she turned back to the mirror. The other girls were busy with their phones and it was only Christy that muttered hi in reply.

"Kunmi, make yourself at home. The party will start soon."

I sat on the phone and started playing a game on the phone.

"Abeg Aminah, is your friend coming?"

The Bola asked and Aminah answered in a slightly teasing voice.

"The last time I checked, she was your friend too, abi?"

"She's not my friend too. You're the one running a charity organization. You should know how to select friends."

The rest of the girls burst into laughter and the knots in my stomach tightened.

"Oh come on Bola, Ella is a cool girl though she has issues but then who doesn't?"

"Who cares?"

The Bola girl replied with a defiant tone and the girls laughed again.

They continued their conversations about things I don't know and their occasional laughter filled the room. It was so awkward that I started to feel suffocated even though the AC was on.

                              ***********
The party already started in full force when Kunle and Adams arrived. Kunle entered the sitting room with a huge smile plastered on his face as he walked to where I was sitting on one of the couches that'd been arranged in circles. with Aminah while Adam looked bored to death As if that's the last place he'd want to be.

"Hey, babe. You look so beautiful. Happy birthday."

Kunle said as soon as he got to us and he threw his arms open for a hug but Aminah ignored him even though I could see she was trying hard not to smile.

"Hey, babe. What did I do?"

"You were supposed to be here by 6 but look at the time, it's almost 8 pm and it's supposed to be your girlfriend's party."

"Ohh. I'm sorry. Adam caused the delay. I had to wait for him or he might just ditch the party."

I turned to look at him at the mention of his name and he was looking at me with a gaze I couldn't fathom. I looked away, all the while wondering how he managed to look so good when he was just casually dressed with an overly bored expression on his face.

"Hey, Adam. Thanks for coming."

He turned to look at Aminah with what might be a plastic smile on his face.

"You're welcome and happy birthday."

She smiled back and the table fell into some sort of silence until Aminah asked us if she should get us drinks.

"Do you drink?"

She asked, her question directed at me. I was momentarily surprised because I never knew do you drink addressed to a 16-year-old could be a normal statement.

"Nooo."

She smiled and muttered something that sounded like you're still a baby before she turned to her friend, the Bola and she asked her to get drinks for us. I was surprised when the girl obeyed her but I got to know the reason why when she returned with three cups and she made sure to serve Adams last, all the while moving closer to him and almost sticking her open cleavage in his mouth.

I rolled my eyes. Geez.

She moved even closer to him on the couch and I watched as she started a conversation with him, all the while, casually running her hands on his thighs and even his whole body.

Well, looks like I dislike this girl.

Loud music was blaring and people were already dancing, with some girls rocking boys and some, openly making out. The smell of alcohol and even cigarettes. Geez. I shuddered and hugged myself. How Aminah was able to throw this kind of party at sixteen was baffling.

"Are you okay?"

Aminah's question was directed at Kunle whose whole attention had been on his phone since he got here.

"No... I mean. Yes." He stuttered. "It's Sophia..."

"She's no more coming?"

Aminah asked and I could barely hear her over the loud music. I couldn't make out her tone but it sounded someplace between pleased and displeased. I wasn't even sure.

"She is supposed to be here by now and I'm starting to worry....."

As in on cue, someone opened and Sophia entered just like I noticed the whole mood of the party changing. This was the time where the DJ was supposed to play party scatter, too bad it was soco blaring. Sophia paused momentarily and she shielded her eyes from the neon lights. She soon removed her hands from her eyes and her eyes slowly scanned the entire length of the room. No doubt looking for us as she smiled when she finally saw us.

A huge smile that'd have passed as genuine except that I knew better.

She started walking towards us, Nah, walking amidst loud catcalls and whistles from a different angle and some people not asking themselves;

Is that not Sophia Williams?

That must be Sophia Williams.

Oh, she must be friends with the celebrant.

She was putting on a very short black gown that stopped just above her butt line, thereby flaunting her perfectly long and toned legs. The gown hugged her body perfectly, highlighting her curves, and even from where I sat, I could tell that it was so tight and I wondered how she'd be breathing in that fight thing.

This Sophia girl is hot die.

Someone shouted and Sophia blew a kiss in the voice direction. The Bola of a girl scowled and muttered look at this one acting like this is her party.

"Birthday girl. Happy birthday sweet."

That was the first word she said when she got to us. Aminah stood up and hugged her.

"Thank you. I'm glad you could make it."

"Really? I'm glad too."

They pulled back and Aminah sat down. There wasn't a space on any of the couch again so Kunle stood up for her and he had to sit on the armrest right beside her.

"You look pretty by that way."

She shrugged at Kunle's words and she flipped an imaginary hair.

"I always look pretty boo and Adam, please close your mouth. I know you're awed by me, you don't have to make it so obvious."

My head jerked towards Adam's direction and he just closed his mouth before he burst into laughter, wagging his second finger in her direction.

"Walahi, we suppose lock you for psychiatrist ward."

He said in between laughter and Kunle joined in too. For a minute, it was just like the three of them at the table until Sophia turned to me with a smile on her face.

Now, that's weird.

"Hey Kunmi, you look pretty. Nice gown by the way. It's the most pretty gown at this party."

I smiled at her because I really couldn't fathom what she was up to. Just that I was sure she must have something up her sleeve.

I picked up my cup and took a sip of my drink. It burnt my tongue and I dropped it immediately. It was Chapman from the look of it but it doesn't quite taste like it.

"Can you please stop doing that?"

We all turned to look at Adam who was swirling the plastic cup in his hands with his eyes intent on it too. He was the one who talked now but he doesn't even look like it.

"Excuse me?"

The Bola of a girl asked and I noticed her right hand was suspended just above his left thigh.

He turned to look at her.

"Stop touching me. I hate it."

Oops. A gasp escaped my mouth and I quickly covered it with my palm. Oluwa oo!! My subconscious started laughing. Sophia burst into laughter. Openly.

"That's no way to treat a lady, Adam. Have little manners now."

He semi glared at her and she pretended to cower.

"I'll use the toilet and be back."

Aminah started to tell him something but he did not wait as he stood up and disappeared around a corner. I dared a glance at the Bola and her face was contorted into all kinds of unpleased expression.

Serves her right.

"Sophia, should I get you a drink?"

"No, I'll sort myself out whenever I'm ready."

I looked at the two girls. Something was odd about them.

"Excuse me, a girl got to dance."

Sophia did not wait for anybody's before she took off her shoes and she walked to the dance floor. Nah, she danced to the dance floor and soon enough, she was the center of attraction there.

If stealing the show at someone's party was her plan, then that's very low.

A guy soon made his way to her and he started dancing behind her, all the while moving closer to her so she'd start rocking him. She was probably lost in the euphoria of the moment because she did just that for a minute or two before she glared at him and started to move away from him. He pulled her back to his chest, albeit forcefully. Kunle started to get up but he sat down back when Sophia grabbed the guy's hand and she twisted it to the back, causing him to yell in pain. She smiled as she dropped his hands and she danced away from him.

I don't understand this girl.

"Babe, let's dance."

"I thought you were never going to ask."

Aminah replied to him as she took his hand and they semi danced to the dance floor. The other girls left too and soon enough, I was the only one left.

One of the major reasons I don't like attending parties. I was even starting to feel out of place. I took my phone and the drink and I walked to the bar. At least, if I wasn't going to dance, I should be able to have a proper look at those dancing. I had barely sat down at the barstool there when a guy walked up to me.

"Hey pretty, let's dance."

And before I could reply, he grabbed my left arm. I shrugged his hands off immediately.

"I'm not dancing."

"Hey, come on. What's a pretty girl like you doing at a party without dancing? You should be turning up the heat, you know?"

He drawled and his eyes trailed my entire body. I shuddered, feeling the need to cover myself just as he grabbed my hands and semi yanked me up.

"What part of I'm not dancing don't you understand?"

That was Sophia who yanked his hands away from my arms forcefully. Only God knows where she got her strength from. This tiny girl.

The guy gave her a smug look as he allowed his eyes to linger on her bare legs. She crossed her arms over her chest, her look devoid of anger.

"If you're done staring at the legs, please get lost."

The guy smiled at her again before he stalked off. I collapsed on the stool, with my right arm resting on the bar. She looked at me in her weird way before she sat opposite me and she poured herself a drink. Chapman.

We fell into a comfortable silence as we both stared at the sweaty dancing bodies on the dance floor while at the back of my mind, I was wondering where Adam was. He hasn't returned since he left earlier.

Sophia's eyes were fixed on a particular spot on the dance floor. I followed her gaze and I saw what she was looking at.

At Aminah rocking Kunle.

I looked at Sophia, then to the duo, then to Sophia again. She had a blank, yet bitter expression on her face, and it took me just a second to conclude.

You know, if you keep adding 2 and 2 and 2 and 2, you'll end up getting to a thousand.

Sophia likes Kunle. Wow.

I thought she liked Adam. This must be why she doesn't vibe with Aminah. Because she's dating the guy she likes. Wow.

I subconsciously reached for my drink and I drowned the whole content. I've never liked a guy and I don't know how I'd act if the guy I like likes someone else.

She suddenly looked at me and she caught me staring at her. She shrugged as she took a sip of her drink.

This girl is something else oo.

My stomach was starting to feel funny, with my head feeling sorta giddy.

"I feel funny."

I stated without wanting to and she looked at me in her weird way before her eyes landed on my empty cup. She picked it up and she used her tongue to taste the content.

"Do you drink?"

"No."

"Then are you dumb? You couldn't tell that your Chapman had alcohol in it?"

She asked in a very low tone, a very low but pissed-off tone.

Alcohol? No way. Must be mixed up somewhere.

"But it's just a small one. You're probably feeling funny because it's your first time and no, I don't drink, I just happen to know all these."

Her tone was no longer pissed off and I wondered if she was bipolar because I seriously don't understand her.

"You might need fresh air to clear your head."

She stated and she went back to drinking, Completely ignoring me. I stood up and my feet directed me towards the stairs, in search of the balcony. I soon found it except that it wasn't empty.

Adams was there.

This is probably the most spontaneous chapter I've ever written for this book and well, I love it.

Kunmi finally attended a party oo. Somebody shout Hallelujah!!!

What do you think is Sophia's deal? And now, Kunmi sorta confirmed that Sophia likes Kunle. Do you think so?

I don't even know how alcohol got to her drink oo. Lemme goan think about that one.  And that stupid Bola girl, well, I don't trust her.

Are you the type that gets to a party earlier or later?

Till Friday oo.

Don't forget to vote, drop comments, and share too.

Love you guys ❤️😍🤗.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 3K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
6.7K 1.2K 9
~ SEQUEL TO TOO MANY BROKEN THINGS ~ The beginning of the new school term is far from anticipated when a number of final year students are planning t...
11.6K 2.2K 53
ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ แดา“ แด›สœแด‡ sแด‡แด‡ แด›สœส€แดแดœษขสœ sแด‡ส€ษชแด‡s(sแด›s) "๐‘ˆ๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘™ ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘’, ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘ก, ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘‘๐‘’...
84.5K 13.3K 52
" Idara it's not like that , let me explain . " He said begging her again but she had made up her mind. "Look everything and everyone is saying it's...