Forgive or Forget

By SueLou66

Cheryl and Reed had a whirlwind romance. Reed swept Cheryl off of her feet. Her family and friends thought th... More

Prologue
Aesthetics
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 1

465 32 74
By SueLou66

Three Years Earlier

-Cheryl-

I'm sitting by myself at my favorite bar in the city, Max's Taphouse. The bar is busy, and the seat beside me is the only empty one.

"Excuse me. Is this seat taken?"

I look up from my phone to see who's talking to me. There stands a handsome man. His dark deep brown eyes are the first thing I notice. He smiles a panty-dropping smile, and I finally find my voice when he raises his eyebrows silently, requesting an answer.

"Um...no," I reply.

"No?"

"I mean, no, the seat is available," I correct myself.

"Do you mind?" he waves his hand at the empty chair.

"Please, sit," I insist.

"Thank you."

He waves over the bartender, Kenny, and I take one last glance at his perfectly groomed beard and handsome features before returning my attention to the emails on my phone.

"What can I get you?" Kenny asked.

"I'll  have a Miller Lite draft and another drink for the beautiful woman here who so kindly allowed me to sit next to her."

I smile without looking up. The bartender brings back our drinks. I take my last swallow before pulling my fresh drink over towards me.

"Thank you," I say appreciatively.

"You are very welcome. Cheers."

He raises his glass, and we clink our glasses.

"Let me formally introduce myself. My name is Reed."

He puts out his hand, and I grasp it. We shake.

"Cheryl, I'm pleased to meet you."

"Are you from around here?" Reed asked.

"Born and raised. You?" I replied.

"No. I'm from Philadelphia. I do a lot of traveling and work for a grocery marketing company. What does an attractive woman like you do for a living in the city of Baltimore?" Reed questioned.

"I own an Interior Design company with my best friend. She was supposed to be meeting me here, but an emergency came up with one of her clients. I was going to have a drink then head home, but this good-looking man bought me another one," I replied.

I smile at him over my drink with my lips taking a long draw of my cocktail. His eyes go to my puckered lips.

"Lucky straw!" Reed exclaimed.

His eyes get darker, and I wonder how that could even be possible. Heat rises to my cheeks, and he grins. A few drinks later, and we're still talking and laughing. Reed is so easy to talk to and easy on the eyes. The more I drink, the more I flirt with him. I lean in and bump his shoulder with mine.

"Thank you," I said.

"For what?" he inquired.

"For saving me from another very boring Friday night." I smiled.

Reed looked deep into my eyes and said, "I find it very difficult to believe that you ever stay home on a Friday night. As stunningly beautiful as you are, I bet men are dropping at your feet."

"Not quite." I laughed.

Before we know it, Kenny is calling the last call.

Reed was surprised. "Is it almost 2:00 a.m.?"

"Apparently." I giggled.

Kenny comes over with our bills. I go to get my wallet when Reed places his hand over mine. I feel a thrill deep within me at his touch.

Reed grabs the bill. "I got this."

I give him a severe look. "You don't have to do that."

"I know. I want to. You've made what would have been just another travel day of work a very pleasurable experience. I don't want the evening to end," he admitted.

He looks into my eyes, and I know what he wants, but is it something that I want? He places his hand gently on my knee. The way he's looking at me takes my breath away. I don't know if it's the alcohol or my aching desire that makes the final decision for me.

"Where to?" I respond before I change my mind.

I think that my response surprised him. He raises his eyebrows then gives me an adorable smirk. He quickly places money on the bar and reaches for my hand. I take it and begin to follow him out of the bar, but I stop in my tracks when Kenny calls my name.

"Cher?"

"Yes?" I answer.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Kenny asked with concern in his voice.

I look up at Reed. "I'll be right back."

He smiles. "I'm not going anywhere, beautiful."

I walk back over to the bar.

"Everything okay, Kenny? Do you need more money?" I ask.

Kenny replies, "No, no. The bill is covered. I want to make sure that you know what you are doing?"

"Well, Kenny, if you must know. I plan on getting laid. Do you have a problem with that?" I say with irritation.

I can see Kenny blushing bright red.

Kenny embarrassingly said, "Uh... no... um... I don't have a problem with that. I want to make sure that you stay safe. You don't know this guy. For all you know, he could be a serial killer."

I laugh. "Let me get this straight. If a guy you know leaves here with a woman, are you going to stop him to make sure that he stays safe?"

Kenny looks a little nervous. "Um... probably not. I hate to say it, but it is different with you. I don't want to see you get hurt."

I soften my attitude towards him. "Awe, Kenny. Thank you for caring about me. I'll be fine. If he gets weird, I'll kick him in the balls and run like hell."

I give him a wink before returning to Reed.

"Everything okay?" Reed asked

I give Reed a smirk. "He's just worried that you are a serial killer or something."

We both laugh as we exit the bar. He places his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close to his side. He kisses the top of my head, and I feel him breathe me in.

"Where are you staying?" I inquire.

"The Hyatt Place," he says.

I raise my eyebrows. "Nice."

We walk the .3 miles to the hotel. I love how our conversation flows as we make our way into the foyer of the hotel. I'm hoping that he lives up to my expectations. We walk to the elevator. He pushes the button to the 6th floor. The door shuts, and he places his hands on my waist and pulls me into him.

Reed looks at me with his deep dark brown eyes. "I want to kiss your luscious lips."

My breath hitches.

"What's stopping you?" I respond breathlessly.

He immediately places his lips against mine. He kisses me so tenderly. I open my lips, inviting his tongue to tangle with mine. He accepts my invitation and his soft tongue touches mine bringing an ache to my center that I have not felt in a very long time. I melt into him and feel his hand grasp my hair while pressing his lips upon mine. What started as slow and tender quickly morphed into passionate and demanding.

"Mmmm," I moan.

The elevator dings and opens up. We walk out of the elevator together without losing touch of our lips. Reed guides me a few doors down the hallway. Somehow he manages to get his hotel room door open. He shuts the door as we are desperately grasping at each other's clothes, ripping them off as we make our way to the bed.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...
671 6 31
Kelly moves to a suburban area to take a break from her life. This was meant to be a few months of laying low, but she did not anticipate finding lov...
91.2K 6.2K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...
246K 11.1K 80
❝ You make this messed-up world look so much more beautiful. ❞ Gathering me in his arms, he pulled me close -- his lips seeking mine hungrily. ──────...