The Other Side Of Marriage

By LizK_09

Liz is a young woman with a dream job, a great family and a wonderful husband. Life couldn't get any better t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34: Epilogue

Chapter 20

3.8K 111 1
By LizK_09

Liz's POV

Someone shook the bed abruptly and I woke up immediately. I hate the person already. "What?" I screamed because that wasn't the nicest way to be woken up. "Hey, sleepyhead. You might want to wake and freshen up because dinner is in 20 minutes and some of mom's guests are here." Mark said pulling my leg. "Mark I hate you, so stop. I only need five minutes to freshen up. Get lost." I said. He laughed. "I am sure you do but I thought I should give you a heads up, mom invited Gabriel, you might want to put on something nice," he said with a weird look on his face.

"Which Gabriel?"I asked with a serious face. That got me out of bed in a millisecond. "I think there's only one person who once dated a Gabriel in this house, and yes, it's that Gabriel," he said laughing.
He left immediately after that and I was fuming. Why would mom invite him over for dinner?

I decided to video call Erastus because I don't even know why I didn't want to go to the dining room. He picked up after the first ring. "Hi there. How is it in the big apple?" He said after picking up.

"Get me the hell out of here," I said.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Gabriel is here. As in my house right now." I said.

"The jack *ss you dated in high school?" he asked.

"To you, everyone I dated is just a jack *ss and yes the very same one," I said shrugging.

"Why?" he asked frowning.

"I don't know. I will find out when I go down for dinner." I said

"Okay, then go down and find out what the jack *ss wants." he told me and continued, "you might want to put on something nice."

"Why does everybody keep telling me that?" I asked annoyed and heading for my closet and I could hear him laughing. I put on jeans and my brother's t-shirt. I came back to the video call.

"Is that what you are wearing?" he asked.

"Yes. It's my ex from high school that is downstairs, not someone I am trying to impress." I said hanging up on him. He says too much crap at times.

I went into the dining room and every seat was already taken except the one next to Gabriel my mother's doing. I went to greet my aunt Katherine and my cousins Simone and Jakob. I sat down, said hi to everyone and I can see my brothers trying their best to hide their laughter. I hate them so much.

"So Liz, how long are you staying?" Aunt Kathy asked.

"Just a few days, I have to be back at work on Monday," I replied trying my best to concentrate on my food and ignoring the way Gabriel is starring at me.

"So, I heard what happened and I am sorry about that," she said.
Looks like everybody knows what happened to me and I wasn't even the one to tell them.
"Thanks, Aunty," I said briefly.

"So Gabriel just lives across the street, and he helps me out when your brothers are not home." mom started.

"I am sure he does." I retorted. I regretted the words when they were already out of my mouth and everyone just looked at me for a while. I didn't direct that to my mom for goodness sake!

"So maybe you two should catch up, maybe he can show you where he works and have lunch." mom suggested.
You have got to be kidding me!

"Yes, or are you busy tomorrow?" Gabriel asked.

"Yes, I am busy. Malea and the kids are coming over tomorrow and we are having lunch together." I said.
I gave my brothers a cry-for-help stare, asking them to bail me out here but no, this was just a comedy to them.

"Oh come on, Malea is family and you two will have enough time together and have dinner together. I just think......."
"Mom stop!" I interrupted her. "What are you doing? I just lost my baby, my divorce is not yet finalized and you are already playing matchmaker?" I asked. I could feel my tears coming and I try my hardest to hold them back.

"Baby, it's not like that. I just think you have to move on at some point, you know, move past this." mom said.

"And you just thought my ex would be a great way to start mom?" I asked her. The whole room has gone silent now and it's just my mom and I exchanging words.

"I thought it was what was good for you." mom said.

"No mom, it's not. You make it look like you don't trust my judgment in men, so you decided to set me up yourself? Or maybe you do because, look at me, I am going through a divorce at 29 years." I said wiping away my tears and leaving the room. I left the house through the back door and went to the garden. It was a bit chilly but I didn't have time to grab something warm. I sat on the old swing and cried. I don't even know why I was crying, all I knew is that I was letting it out and it felt good.

I started remembering how I used to sit here when something bad happened, especially when my dad gets deployed. My father was in the army for as long as I can remember and the moment he never really used to be home from time to time. I would also sit here to do my homework or just watching my brothers playing baseball. Jack was always a sore loser, so whenever he lost he would push me on the swing so high ignoring all my screams asking him to stop. He would do that until one day I was so scared that I jumped off midair, stupid move by the way because the fall would have been bad if Mark didn't catch me. I was 12 then and Jack was fifteen. Paul was the first to tell mom what happened because he was ever the one in trouble and also wanted mom to ground Jack. I remember feeling bad for Jack because he was grounded for a month.

I felt someone's presence behind me. "I don't want to talk to anyone," I said without turning to look who it was.
"Yes you do." someone said. I turn around the moment I heard the voice because I could never mistake my sister's name. Even if I am half asleep I know my sister's voice anywhere.
"You are here," I said lounging myself into her arms for a big hug. My big sister and only sister were right here in front of me and I couldn't believe it.
"How are you doing little one?" she asked sitting down on the swing with me.

"These days I am failing to find an answer to that question," I told her honestly.

"You know that I came home to surprise you and the whole family just to find the dining room with shocked people or surprised, I am not sure. Mom is crying and your high school boyfriend is sitting in my chair. What happened? " she asked.

"Mom tried to play matchmaking and I didn't handle well either. Now that you said she is crying, I feel worse."I said to me shortly.

"It's okay, I know you are going through a lot right now and mom wasn't right either. Mom always does what she thinks is best for all of us, so you have to give her a pass on this one. You just move on at your own pace, we are all here for you every step of the way." Emma told me.

I wiped my tears and looked ahead, no idea what I was looking at, just looking into the darkness. We sat there for another half an hour, in complete silence, lost in my thoughts. I don't know what happens next but I am just going to embrace whatever the next chapter in my life is all about. At least next week I will be back at the office, but I am sure I will have to deal with a lot of 'I'm sorry about what happened' and hope that only takes one day. I felt my wedding ring on my finger, I didn't even know why I was still wearing it.

"The guests left, you two can come back inside," Paul said. His voice startled me because I didn't hear him approach us. I stood up and went straight to my room. On my way I passed by the kitchen and mom was cleaning up inside. A part of me wanted to go talk to her, but I didn't know what to say even if I went into the kitchen. I went straight into the shower because I had a tear-stained face and it has been a long day.

After I was done I went to the kitchen with intentions of apologizing to my mom for what I said earlier, but before I could get a word out, she embraced me and told me it's alright and everything is going to get better. I was hoping for that too, but all I needed is just a clue on what to do next or where to go. I need to get myself a house in LA first because I can't stay in Erastus's house forever. I left the kitchen and went back to my room, ready to finally go to sleep, but I found my brothers in my room instead.

"What do you guys want?" I said ignoring them and heading for the closet to put on my pajamas.

"To talk," Paul said

"I don't want to talk to you two," I said

"Come on sis, what's with the attitude?" Paul said again.

"What is the matter with you two? I needed you there but no, you were too busy laughing to stop mom or me from going further. Whatever happened could've been avoided today if one of you did something helpful for once in your lives but no, you sat there and did nothing. " I scolded them.

"I am sorry about that love, that's why we are here, peace offering and maybe we can all watch a movie?" Mark suggested.

"Please! I will take you to your favorite sushi place tomorrow, my treat, provided that you will not be mad at your handsome brothers anymore." Paul added.
I know I was angry, but the handsome part got me that I found myself laughing.

"Okay, is Emma joining us?" I asked

"Definitely. She is down." Mark said.

"You guys didn't ask her yet, correct?" I asked curiously. Mark cannot lie, he never keeps a straight face when he lies. Back in the day, when something bad happened at home, mom would just know who to ask if she wants the truth.

"We will go ask her now. Mark, the popcorn duty is yours today." Paul said.

"Why me? I am older than you so I get to tell you what to do and not the other way around." Mark clarified. They kept going back and forth about who is going to do until Emma came reminded them to solve it through Rock, paper, scissors. That's how my brothers have resolved things for as long as I can remember. It was going to be one hell of a night.

I woke up the following day by the sound of young voices coming from the living room. I got up, freshened up quickly because I knew Malea was here. We spent the rest of the day together and the next few days and I flew back to LA on Saturday. I had to go to work the following Monday so I have to make sure I am up to date with everything.

I received a phone call from Jack when I got to California telling me he was coming here to take over my divorce case. Jack is a lawyer but he does not usually deal with divorce cases. When I asked why he wanted to do it, all he said was that my case is personal to him.

When I got to work on Monday, I heard the CEO's voice through the intercom, "Danielson, I need you I know my office now. Danielson, my office now." I was being called to the CEO's office, something that always gives me chills. He is the same man that almost fired me back then and he called me into his office the same he did now and I have to admit that I was anxious.

"Mr. Kingman, you called for me." I started when I entered.

"Yes Mrs. Danielson, please take a seat. First of all, I am sorry to hear what happened," he replied.

Jack, please finalize my divorce, I can't keep up with being called Mrs. Danielson. I told myself while sitting down and saying Thank you.

"So I have an offer for you. We are opening another company in London and they need you for a few years, just to start running and then you come back," he said.

"Sir, what you are saying is that the company in London needs a Managing Director and you want me to go work there for a few years, get them up and running and come back here. My office will still be waiting for me?" I asked.

"Correct," he said.

"How long are a few years?" I asked.

"Two to three years give or take," he replied. "And if you are willing to take the offer, you leave in two months." he continued.

"I see. How about I think it over and I will get back to you?" I asked.

"Take all the time you need." He said.

"And Ms. Danielson," he paused and I turned as I reach the door. "You get an 8% raise if you take the offer." I nodded and exited the room.
I got back to my office and started thinking. It is a very nice offer, but it's asking for me to just get up and leave everything behind. Not like I have anything left here in LA, but I have made it my home, even if I do not have a house here. My reasonings were just funny and a bit pathetic so I have made up fifty percent of my mind that I am going to London.
Now I just have to attend Katie's wedding and go to London.

Evan's POV

Someone is knocking at my door in the most annoying way I have ever heard. We even have a doorbell, but no, the person just wants to knock. I just got home from work and I was tired.
I opened the door and Jack, Liz's brother walked in in a dark suit. I didn't even know he was in LA.
"Jack?" I said.

"Yes, it's me in the flesh. Hi!" he said.

"You know your sister doesn't live here right?" I asked.

"I am aware, but I am here as her lawyer, I am the one handling her divorce case. May I sit down?" he asked.

Oh my goodness. Liz is playing dirty. "Sure, have a seat," I told him. A few days ago, her lawyer Andrew sent over the divorce papers, so when did Jack take over?

"I believe my colleague sent over the divorce papers, did you sign them yet or do you have a problem with the terms?" he asked.

"I got them, but I have no plans of divorcing my wife. I will sign them when I am sure that our marriage can't be saved." I told him honestly.

"You think you still can save your marriage?" he asked with a scoff.

"There's no harm in trying," I told him.

"You listen to me very well, I am giving you a week to sign those divorce papers and free sister. She deserves so much better We do this the easy way or the hard way. My sister is going easy on you with these terms because of your kid, but trust me if you let this go to court, I will make sure you lose everything. You hurt my little sister, and that means you messed with me." He said in my face.

"I don't think my lawyer would appreciate you threatening me to sign the divorce papers in my own house," I told him.

"I didn't make that threat as a lawyer, I made it as a brother," he said still talking in my face.

I pushed him back and he fell into the couch, he got back up and punches me in the jaw. I fought back and we started exchanging blows.
We did that until I heard Laura screaming for us to stop. I looked up and she was standing by the door with Helen next to her, trying her best to cover her eyes.

"Get the f*ck out of my house," I told Jack.

"Gladly," he replied and grabbed his briefcase to leave. I went to my bathroom and took the first aid kit. Looking at myself in the mirror, I was bleeding above my left eye. My jaw was throbbing in pain and I was so angry at Liz, at Jack, and whoever came up with the idea of him handling the divorce.
That whole ordeal just screamed one thing, Liz is done with me, so why should I keep her married to me? I have hurt her enough and she deserves so much better than someone like me. She wants to be happy and she deserves it so how much longer am I going to be in the way of that. I have to let her go, even though it pains me, I have to.

I took the divorce papers out of my drawer, looked at them for minutes, and signed them. I guess I have to learn the hard way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 11K 59
This isn't a story for the faint of heart. This is a story about a girl who loved a boy. A boy who couldn't love her back. This is a story about the...
4.1M 131K 52
When Liz Charleston's ex-best friend suddenly returns with a plan to take revenge on her, drama seems inevitable - but who knew revenge could be so h...
15.9K 211 12
Abigale isn't what you call pretty, or bright. She's average, with the below average schooling . Abi gets bullied for her nerdy appearance, and her h...
718 7 15
A romantic/sad story of a young woman that has big dreams, believes she can do anything until she met him. When she met him, she fell in love way to...