The Old Tuck Shop

By anaisbrimble

Finley Green's life has been nothing but one tragedy after the next. His mother's abandonment and years trapp... More

PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

TWELVE

89 12 21
By anaisbrimble

Cal took a spare apron and tied it around my waist.

"Remind me why we have to wear these again?" I sighed.

"Because they make us look more presentable. My father liked to keep things traditional," he replied.

"But it makes me look like a right tosser!" I groaned.

"Mind the language!" he said, pulling the string of the apron tighter.

I coughed. "Okay, okay, I get it, I'll wear the bloody apron!" I joked.

"Just please, loosen the string before you kill me!"

He laughed.

"Now turn around and let me see you," he said.

I gave a pose.

"Aw, you look great!" he exclaimed, rubbing his palms together.

"So, what days will I work?"

"I only need you two or three times a week."

"Thank you so much," I answered.

"No problem."

"Will I be able to sample a few sweets now and again."

"Only if you do well today," he replied, jokingly.

He grabbed some boxes and stacked them on the shelf, and I stared at the door, waiting for someone to come in.

First came a woman and her daughter. I smiled at them.

"What can I help you with today?" I asked.

"Go on, ask him," the woman whispered in her ear.

"Could I have some strawberry sweeties?" she asked shyly, biting her lip.

"Of course," I replied. She gave me a huge grin.

I turned and grabbed the jar, and as I did so, it slipped through my fingers and fell to the floor, smashing and scattering sweets.

"Crap," I whispered to myself.

"One second, Miss..." I stuttered.

I turned around slowly to see the little girl trying not to laugh. I felt my cheeks flush. I'd never felt more embarrassed in my entire life.

"I'm so sorry Miss...I'll get some more straight away!" I said.

At that moment, Cal arrived at the door. He saw the broken jar and gasped.

"Eh, what happened here then?" he said, calmly.

I remained silent.

"If you come over here sweetheart, I'll fetch you some sweets. What was it you wanted?" he asked the little girl.

"Strawberries, please," she giggled.

"He's a bit clumsy ain't he," she whispered to her mum.

She stuck her tongue out at me when her mother wasn't looking.

"What the bloody hell happened here?!" Cal yelled as they left the shop.

I shook, genuinely scared. He had offered me a place to stay, which now looked in jeopardy.

"Cal, I'm sorry...honestly...I was just nervous and I was fumbling to get what she wanted...and I'm the clumsiest person in the world...and I understand that if you want me to go, I will," I stuttered.

He shook his head, unimpressed.

I sighed.

"Eh. Don't talk like that. I've got plenty of spare jars." He smacked my back.

"I'd never kick you out, okay? It's just your first day. I'll grab the dustpan and brush, and you go clean it up and I'll restock the jar. I'll see you in a bit."

"I genuinely am sorry Cal," I said.

"I know you are son," he replied, walking to the storeroom.

I threw the sweets in the bin, and picked one of the strawberries off of the floor, placed it in my mouth, and chewed it. I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't resist.

"Oi, you!" Cal said, clapping his hands.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist," I mumbled, chewing the sweet.

"Plus, they'll just go to waste," I added, throwing more into my mouth.

He passed me the dustpan and brush, before placing a full jar of sweets on the shelf.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247 21 20
Poppy is a New York native, born, raised, and adoring of her life on the upper east side. Except for every summer when she's whisked off to a humble...
207K 9.5K 52
-COMPLETED- For the past five years, Whitney Parks has been in foster care. Upon turning eighteen, her brother Levi invites her to live with him, a...
22.1K 474 45
[Highest Rank: #5 In Boy Next Door] (Completed) Isabella Greene always had a very odd life. Her mother was out all the time, busy with her job. Her f...
58 9 5
Poppy, 24, always lived her life behind the safety of her camera. Always watching people live their life, take risks, get hurt, fall in love, get hur...