Serpent's Daughter (Four King...

Af TheresNo_Rush

The uncontrollable power lurking beneath Princess Alethia's skin can either be the savior of the Four Kingdom... Mere

Author's Note
1. The Woman Who Ruled Them All
2. Into the Darkness
3. What is Coming
4. The Wrong Person
5. In the Snake's Den
6. A Monster Awakens
7. Merciless Chaos
8. Sadistic Bastards (Part 1)
9. Sadistic Bastards (Part 2)
10. Love Letters
11. Dread and Terror
12. Kingdoms Will Fall (Part 1)
13. Kingdoms Will Fall (Part 2)
14. Trollops on the Throne (Part 1)
15. Trollops on the Throne (Part 2)
16. Trollops on the Throne (Part 3)
18. A Bloody Massacre (Part 1: Fire of Death)
19. A Bloody Massacre (Part 1: Fire of Death) Continued
20. A Bloody Massacre (Part 2: The Flesh)
21. A Bloody Massacre (Part 3: Until Death)
22. A Bloody Massacre (Part 3: Until Death) Continued
23. The Tartian Twins
24. Dunes of Death (Part 1)
25. Dunes of Death (Part 2)
Bonus Scene
26. A Grieving Liability (Part 1)
27. A Grieving Liability (Part 2)
28. A Beacon of Light (Part 1)
29. A Beacon of Light (Part 2)
30. A Fragmented Heart (Part 1)
31. A Fragmented Heart (Part 2)
32. The Warmest Welcome
33. A Grave Mistake (Part 1)
34. A Grave Mistake (Part 2)
35. A Grave Mistake (Part 3)
36. Depths of Hell
37. Damning Weaknesses
38. Shadow of Death
39. Low-Life Commoner
40. Godforsaken Wasteland
41. An Untamed Beast
42. Vastly Unprepared
43. Show Them All (Part 1)
44. Show Them All (Part 2)
45. All Over Again (Part 1)
46. All Over Again (Part 2)
47. All Over Again (Part 3)
48. A Tarnished Savior (Part 1)
49. A Tarnished Savior (Part 2)
50. A Tarnished Savior (Part 3)
to be continued...

17. Princess of War

439 35 85
Af TheresNo_Rush

A/N: Heads up, this chapter is kind of long but I didn't want to break up since the next couple of ones will be broken into parts. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow if you're feeling wild :)

Sephirah leaned against the wall, watching as a guard slipped through the large throne room doors to relay her message. Nova flew inside at Sephirah's request. The guards had been anxious when she approached, and she was curious as to why she wasn't allowed into the room.

Message relayed.

Nova's soft voice appeared in Sephirah's open mind. Her eyes glowed red as she sent Nova a question through the bond connecting them. Status of the room?

Prisoners kneeling in front of the king. Aydin is distressed.

At the words, she straightened, glaring at the guards. The Nixian warriors standing near her noticed her change in demeanor, their eyes narrowing. Suddenly, the doors opened, and Nova came flying out before perching on Sephirah's shoulder. The pink leather shoulder pads on her black jumpsuit prevented her from feeling Nova's claws dig in for balance.

Sephirah watched as Aydin's mother exited the throne room, tears falling down her pale cheeks and hands clutching the fabric of her dress. A group of guards surrounded her, and Sephirah met the queen's eyes. The queen gave a weak smile before she was led away and around the corner.

A guard came out of the room and approached Sephirah. "Prince Aydin has requested that you wait in the guest quarters with your companions. The king shall summon you when he finishes his business."

Hands balling up into a fist, Sephirah's nostrils flared with annoyance. How dare they make a princess of the great Nix Kingdom wait? Sephirah scoffed.

Men are absolutely foolish.

Sephirah turned on her heel and nodded to her female warriors. She had allowed two of her most trusted friends to journey to the Gera Kingdom with her. Without them, the journey across the sea would have been a dull and lonely one. Her companions fell in step behind her as she went towards the guest quarters.

The guard who had given Sephirah the message hurried to keep up with her. She scowled at him, brow furrowing at his presence. "I know where the guest quarters are. Go elsewhere."

Sephirah watched the man stop, bowing at the waist before jogging in the opposite direction. Her friends chuckled behind her as she continued advancing. Sephirah's relaxed into a smile at the sound.

"Whenever I come to the Gera Kingdom, I'm grateful for my mother's rule. The men here are sorely lacking in every redeemable aspect."

Blaise laughed, the deep sound startling a passing servant carrying a basket of folded laundry. "Your Highness, you shouldn't say such things in public. At least wait until we get to the guest quarters."

"You might have a point there," Sephirah conceded, throwing a grin over her shoulder at her companions. The guest quarters weren't far from the throne room. Reaching the door, a servant waited for them with a key in his hand. Sephirah nodded at the boy who returned it with a bow.

He opened the door for them and placed the key in Sephirah's hands. "When you are ready to leave, give the key to any passing servant. They will know what to do from there."

Sephirah nodded, turning away to look around. Nostalgia flooded her chest at the sight. The room contained a sitting area consisting of various blue-cushioned chairs, which circled a low round polished table. Underneath all of it was a pale green fur rug that brought back fond memories. Sephirah remembered when she and Aydin used to fight on that rug, trying to smother each other in the fur as they tossed and rolled across it, laughing up a storm. 

The sitting area partitioned into an open space that had a singular large bed with green sheets. There was a window off to the side with fluttering blue curtains. At the sight of the bed, a wave of exhaustion surged through her, and Sephirah fought the urge to take a nap. Their journey had concluded on an awful note when Nova had scouted ahead of them from the skies and noticed the fleet.

A fleet filled with rotting dead bodies. Sephirah shivered unwillingly at the thought. They had hurried to alert the king before the castle guards would have seen it. Nova's eyes could see further than most people.

With a sigh, Sephirah took off her boomerang, flopping down in an open chair, and her companions followed suit. Nova flew out the open window, probably in search of a higher perch to look over the castle grounds.

Sephirah lifted her feet, unceremoniously placing her boots on the table in front of her. The vase of blue-violet flowers near her feet shook slightly from the impact. A silver tray of various fruits and small cake pies sat close to the edge and Sephirah's stomach grumbled at the sight. She reached across to snag a strawberry round cake and devoured it in two bites, the sweet creamy insides sliding across her tongue.

Her companions, Kyra and Blaise walked the perimeter of the room, checking for anything suspicious before they sat down. They ate in comfortable silence while Sephirah periodically checked in with Nova.

"Any reports from Nova?" Blaise asked, dusting away the crumbs littering her black jumpsuit.

Sephirah opened her mouth to respond when a knock sounded on the door.

"Open up, Rah," A deep voice rumbled. Sephirah jumped up and made a gesture with her hands towards the bedroom door. Her friends stepped into the bedroom, closing the door behind them.

Sephirah walked over and opened the door. Aydin stared down at her with hazel eyes that glinted with unconcealed anger. He moved past her, his shoulder brushing against hers in the process. Sephirah closed the door slowly, taking a deep breath.

He seemed different. Sephirah turned and watched him sit down in a chair, a hand running through his collarbone length platinum hair. Although, Sephirah knew that he had dyed it in an attempt to look different than those around him. An image of Aydin with his natural brown hair flashed across her mind before she cleared her throat.

"You want to tell me what's going on?" Sephirah asked as she sat in the chair beside him. His jaw clenched, and he intertwined his fingers together, squeezing until his knuckles whitened. Her eyes soaked him in, noting his slumped shoulders and the prominent bags underneath his eyes.

When he remained silent, Sephirah placed a soft hand on his shoulder, and he looked at her with such anger and grief that her breath hitched. She hadn't seen him this upset since they were kids and he kept losing to her in their training drills. Even then, he never seemed as defeated as he did now.

"Aydin, talk to me. What's happening?"

"My father—the king," Aydin amended, eyes darting away for a moment before returning to hers. He frantically continued, "He threatened my mother, Rah. He's lost his mind. I don't know what to do. He doesn't trust anyone right now."

"Start over from the beginning," Sephirah frowned at the jumble of words. She needed a better grasp of the situation. She inched to the edge of the seat, removing her hand from his shoulder to place over his intertwined ones. Sephirah squeezed them, feeling her heart ache for her childhood friend. She knew how much he loved his mother, and despite how he felt right now, his father too.

Aydin took a deep breath before explaining the events that had transpired over the past couple of days. Everything had started the moment the Kantian seer woman appeared in their castle. From that moment, a cascade of events had occurred.

When he reached the part about the throne room, Aydin paused. His hands tightened again, and Sephirah held them firmly. It had been Aydin's idea to release the Kantians from their cells. His mother had supported him and confessed to it all in his stead. The king's mistress had betrayed the queen to steal the throne for herself, at which the king beheaded her. King Chancellor refused to be Sabrina's or Cecilia's puppets.

"I managed to convince him to allow my mother to go back to her quarters. And, I stopped him from returning the others to the dungeon. They're waiting in my room," Aydin ended, pulling away from Sephirah. He ran a hand over his face before smiling sheepishly. "I apologize for burdening you. This is an awful reunion."

Sephirah chuckled, and Aydin's smile widened. "When do we ever have a good reunion? Don't worry yourself too much. There's a simple solution."

"What?" Aydin questioned, leaning forward.

"Kick his ass," Sephirah exclaimed while thrusting her fist upwards. Aydin laughed, the deep sound filling Sephirah's ears and kick-starting her heart. She frowned and reached over to smack him on top of his head.

"Ouch, what was that for?" Aydin ducked away, rubbing his head.

"Don't laugh at me. I was serious," Sephirah mumbled, looking at the vase of flowers as her heart calmed.

"I'm sure you were. That's your solution to everything." Aydin rolled his eyes, before reaching out to grasp her hand. Their callouses rubbed together as he brought her hand upwards, kissing it gently. "A beautiful woman such as yourself shouldn't resort to such violence."

Heat crawled up Sephirah's throat, and a nerve struck at the reaction. She yanked her hand away and stomped her boot on his foot. Rising out of her chair quickly, Sephirah grabbed her boomerang that was leaning against her chair, strapping it back on. She walked across the room to the bedroom door in an attempt to put space between them.

Aydin grimaced as he stood up. "By the goddess's lovely bones, you still haven't learned how to take a compliment after all these years."

"I refuse to accept insincere compliments from a womanizing prick," Sephirah responded, crossing her arms over her chest.

He placed a hand on his chest and widened his eyes. "Your sharp words wound my precious heart. Despite my mannerisms, I only have eyes for you."

Sephirah's mouth opened and closed as she struggled to find something to say. Frustration built up, and she pointed at him, shooting a small ball of crackling fire towards him. Aydin smiled as he lifted a hand, water flying out of it. His blast of water engulfed her fire and hit her square in the face.

She sputtered as water blocked her airway and wiped her face. Red strands of wet hair stuck to her cheeks, and she shoved them away. Sephirah glared at Aydin. "You are dead."

"Insults don't become you, my lady," Aydin grinned, eyes lit with delight. "I prefer your smiles to that monstrous expression you have going on right now. You'll gain nothing but premature wrinkles from scrunching up your face like that."

The door behind her opened before she could respond. Kyra poked her head out and placed a hand over her mouth at the sight of Sephirah's dripping face. Her muffled laughter made Sephirah throw up her hands in exasperation.

"I thought it would be best to stop you guys. We don't have time for one of your fights," Kyra said after calming herself. The tension returned to the room as fast as it had left it.

"Let's start by talking to Sabrina." Aydin moved towards the door, gesturing for Sephirah to follow. "We should check on her visions. Kyra and Blaise should remain behind. The fewer, the better."

Kyra nodded. "Take care of the princess."

"Of course," Aydin responded.He walked out of the room, and Sephirah followed, closing the door behind them. As the pair moved down the hallway, they kept silent. Whenever a servant or guard passed them, Aydin greeted them briefly. She had always admired his way of comforting the people around him.

Sephirah smiled at a servant boy who blushed and scurried away. She frowned and turned her head to watch the boy run away. What did she do wrong?

Aydin watched her curiously as they reached the door to his rooms. "You really are clueless."

"The pot is calling the kettle black." Sephirah slapped his arm. He opened the door with a low chuckle. As they stepped inside, Sephirah's eyes instantly landed on a girl who sat on the ground, legs folded in front of her, and an onyx sword laid across them.

From the looks of it, the girl was in the process of sharpening it with a stone she held in small scarred hands. The girl met Sephirah's eyes before looking back down at her sword. Sephirah glanced around the room.

A Kantian woman sat in one of the chairs, hands folded in her lap and wild black curls framing sharp cheekbones. And near the window of the bedroom area, a Kantian man with long flowing black hair tied back into a ponytail was looking discreetly at the outside area.

Coming.

Nova's voice popped into her mind, and Sephirah's eyes glowed red. The window is open.

Her bird let out a caw as it flew through the window, her wing nearly hitting the man, but he moved swiftly out of the way. Sephirah noted his reflexes as Nova settled on her shoulder.

The Kantian woman Sephirah presumed to be Sabrina was staring at her with a shocked expression. Aydin noticed the look and cleared his throat. "This is Sephirah Wendelin, princess of the Nix Kingdom."

Sabrina's eyes stayed on her face, and Sephirah shifted on her feet before glancing at Aydin who shrugged in return. Sabrina stood out of her seat and curtsied deeply.

"You may rise," Sephirah said. The woman straightened, and the shocked expression wiped off her face, leaving behind bone-weary exhaustion.

"If I may, Your Highnesses," Sabrina spoke, catching the attention of everyone in the room. She paused, and the brief silence was suffocating. "I had a vision that included Princess Sephirah."

Sephirah stepped closer, curiosity lighting her eyes. "What did you see?"

"You must remain with these three in the last kingdom standing," Sabrina said in a whisper. A chill went down Sephirah's spine.

"What kingdom will remain?" Aydin asked, his voice rough with anticipation.

"My vision did not give me that information." The woman turned her head away and rubbed her eyes with trembling hands. Sephirah tried to relax despite the implications of the woman's words.

What if the Nix Kingdom wasn't the last one standing? She shook away the doubt firmly. There was no way they could lose to that wretched queen. The Nix Kingdom had the largest army in all of the Four Kingdoms. Queen Liliana would need more than a fleet to conquer them. Sephirah relaxed as confidence flooded her system.

The Kantian man clicked his tongue and moved to sit beside the quiet girl on the ground. He took the sharpening stone out of her hand. She glanced at him, and her lips pressed together but she remained silent. The man reached under his cloak and pulled out an axe to sharpen. The scraping sound of the stone moving against the dull axe filled the silence.

Sephirah looked over at Aydin, who was frowning at the scene before him. She felt the same. He had brought her to a room filled with peculiar people. A frightened seer woman, a girl who appeared to be mute, and a man with a permanent scowl etched onto his face. And that woman thought she should remain with them? It was like Sabrina was asking Sephirah to jump into the abyss.

At the thought, a knock came from the door.

"Prince Aydin and Princess Sephirah, the king has requested your presence in his study."

Taking a controlled breath, Sephirah nodded at Aydin, who addressed the Kantians. "Don't move from this room."

"As if we have a bloody choice," the man grumbled in response. The girl held out her sword, and the man looked at it and then at her face. "I'll do it after I finish mine."

Sephirah and Aydin left the room, following the guard who waited for them. Neither of them spoke the entire way to the king's study. The anticipation of the conversation they were about to have weighed heavily in the air.

At a door etched with a swirling gold dragon, the guard knocked and announced their presence. The king called for their entry, and they moved inside.

His study had remained unchanged over the years. A large space containing several black wooden chairs holding navy blue cushions, a brown oak desk where piles of paper, ink brushes, and vials sat, and bookcases surrounding the perimeter. Across from the desk was an unlit fireplace where piles of dry wood laid. Sephirah breathed in the scent of ink and wine as she bowed.

The king sat behind his desk, a goblet in his hand, and a frown on his face. He gestured to the chairs in front of him. "Have a seat."

Sephirah unstrapped her boomerang, leaning it against the backside of the chair. Nova wing's rustled as Sephirah sat down. Her bird shifted from her shoulder to perch on the arm of her chair. Aydin stood behind his seat, grasping the top of it tightly. The king's frown deepened, and he sipped from his goblet.

"The guards have reported to me that the Kantians were not taken to the dungeons," King Chancellor started, eyes locked on his goblet as he tilted it back and forth.

"No, they were not," Aydin replied. A long stretch of silence followed and the king finally turned his eyes onto his son.

"Good." The king rubbed the creases on his forehead, seeming to age with every word he spoke. He gestured at the empty seat in front of Aydin. "Sit down, son."

"I rather not." Aydin's voice was harsh as he glared at his father. "Did we simply come to watch you drown yourself in wine or is there a particular reason for us being here?"

The air thickened as the king's face tightened at the words. He placed the goblet of wine on his desk with a soft clank.

"After years of tranquility and prosperity, this war is jarring," King Chancellor said, voice softening with resignation. He looked away from his son and gestured with a hand. "It has stirred panic amongst our people and threatened everything we've built with our own hands."

"This war is real, Your Majesty," Aydin countered. "You cannot continue to ignore what's right in front of your eyes. I don't know what it will take for you to understand that our differences no longer matter. We need those Kantians to survive this."

"I am no longer denying that," King Chancellor paused, draining the liquid in his goblet. He reached for the golden pitcher sitting atop a pile of papers. The silence stretched as he drank slowly. "The spirit of the gemstone has spoken to me. As you know, it only advises a ruler when they stray from the path of righteousness or when the kingdom is being plagued by dark magic as a result of our actions. In this case, I have strayed from the path."

Sephirah blinked in surprise at the words. It was rare for the spirit that resided in the gemstones to speak to their rulers. Her mother's spirit hadn't spoken to her since the day she was gifted. It was said that ruling without the spirit ever talking was the greatest achievement and would lead to a kingdom with prosperity. At least the king had acknowledged his actions, otherwise, the gemstone would have begun rejecting him.

And in the middle of a war, that was the worst thing that could happen. Sephirah glanced at Aydin, knowing the thoughts that were going through his mind. He wasn't a general for nothing. He knew what his father was implying.

"Well, I'm glad someone was able to talk some sense into you," Aydin spoke after a prolonged silence. "And as for my mother, you will not harm her. She has done nothing but what is necessary for our people's future."

"I will leave you in charge of the Kantians," the king responded, face resigned to his son's words. "As for your mother, I will do nothing to her. It seems she was smarter than I. And it would be foolish for me to punish her for doing what I should have done from the beginning."

Aydin nodded, and Sephirah observed his hands loosen. She felt relief course through her from their conversation. King Chancellor's piercing eyes found hers. "As our army is small in numbers, I must ask you to request aid from Empress Ianthe. I'm sure your bird can get there faster than any of our means. I've written a letter to her."

The king placed the goblet down and grabbed a rolled-up scroll from his desk, leaning over to pass it to Sephirah. She took it and nodded her consent. Sephirah was sure her mother would send aid, but she could only pray that it arrived in time.

She unwrapped one of the many pink ribbons that were tied around her left wrist, clicking her tongue at Nova. Her bird shifted, giving Sephirah better access to tie the letter tightly onto her thin golden leg. To the Empress.

Nova cawed before her wings fluttered and shot through the open window behind the king, her bright colors stark against the night sky.

"I also would like you to leave the Gera Kingdom," King Chancellor said after Nova faded in the horizon, fingers finding the stem of his goblet. "I cannot have the princess and heir of the Nix Kingdom be endangered underneath my watch. Return home immediately."

Sephirah's heart raced at the words, and she raised her chin in defiance. "I will not be going anywhere. You've forgotten, Your Majesty. I am a princess of war. And as such, I don't run or retreat from any battle."

Sabrina's words swirled through her mind, and Sephirah spared Aydin a glance. There were too many reasons for her to stay in the Gera Kingdom. She refused to do the cowardly thing and run back to the safety of her kingdom.

The king opened his mouth to protest, and Aydin interrupted, "She's not going to back down, and you know it, father."

In response, the king drained his goblet again before waving a hand. "Stay if that's what you want, but if something happens to you, I want your mother to know you were not my responsibility. Leave me."

Sephirah grabbed her boomerang, walking out of the room with her head held high. Aydin walked next to her back towards his quarters.

He reached out and pulled on one of the single jeweled braids that mixed with free-flowing strands of her frizzy hair. She batted his hands away as she felt blood rush to the tips of her ears. Aydin grinned at her as they continued through the darkened hallway.

Sephirah stared at the twinkling stars through the openings in the corridor. The hallways filled with the sound of crickets and the soft chatter of guards as they passed, relieved of their watch duty. Sephirah sucked in a breath of fresh air and tried to commit the peaceful moment to her memory. It was the calm before the storm.

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Sephirah and Aydin are back together and this duo is in for hell of a ride in the next couple of chapters. If anyone is curious, this is how Aydin looks with his natural hair!

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

247K 9.9K 34
~ COMPLETE AND NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON ~ In the Five Kingdoms of Saol Eile, magic is the only currency and those who have the most cast long shadows...
343 13 25
In between a shaky treaty of five kingdoms: Water Kingdom, Woodland Kingdom, Earth Kingdom, Sky Kingdom, and the Lycan Kingdom; Princess Angelique Se...
31.7K 3.3K 88
RUMPELSTILTSKIN RETELLING. "I challenge you to find my name, princess. Three tries." Light flickers beneath the recesses of his mask, the wooden fan...
33.3K 2.1K 107
In the kingdom of Ipuinia, the status of Aristricata relies on one thing: whether you have elemental blood or you do not. The ability to control one...