The Flood Controller's Wife

By dailyglassofwine

Weiying was born a man but due to some circumstances he had to pretend to be a girl until he was eighteen yea... More

Authors's Rants & Disclaimer
Premise
Prologue
Characters & Places
Chapter 1: I don't want to be a girl anymore
Chapter 2: Horses hate the smell of foxgrass
Chapter 3: This bow is made from whale what?
Chapter 4: Bird shooter
Chapter 5: A bow is just a bow
Chapter 7: This bow reminds me of you
Chapter 8: The lotus had began its first bloom
Chapter 9: Don't you know I am also a Man
Chapter 10: This jade hairpin is so beautiful
Chapter 11: The day I married him
Chapter 12: Don't fall in love with him
Chapter 13: Your hair smelled of flowers
Chapter 14: Beautiful..
Chapter 15: Heart beats like rain drops
Chapter 16: The river gives and takes away
Chapter 17: Man in the silver mask
Chapter 18: Into the woods
Chapter 19: I'll show you who I really am
Chapter 20: I will protect you
Chapter 21: Wounds underneath my skin
Chapter 22: Wounds part 2
Chapter 23 : Not heavy
Chapter 24: Cavern
Chapter 25 Temptress
Chapter 26: The Rock cave was unexpectedly deep
Baobei don't cry, Smile for me please?
Chapter 28: For what was worth
Chapter 29 Minister Wei
Chapter 30: Catching shadows
Chapter 31: The prince's tent

Chapter 6: Lanzhan likes my bow

2.7K 220 7
By dailyglassofwine

The next day

"Wait Aying, Stop!!! Where do you think you are you going all by yourself? Get someone to go with you!! You can't go out by yourself!" Naima shouted saw Weiying sneaking through the front door holding a huge bag. In those days, it was a common social norm that women do not walk the streets by herself.

"I'll be back soon Naima. Don't ask Mingyu or anyone else to follow me! Ask her to cover for me instead"

With that, he dashed off out of sight.

"Weiying!!! At least wear a disguise!!! It's improper for a young lady to be seen out and about by herself. Think about your parent's and your reputation!"

As expected. Weiying did not bother turning around. Mingyu took an hour everyday to dress her up in the mornings and it would be too much trouble to erase his make up and change into a boy's clothes. Furthermore, everyone would recognize him as Yuxian and Yuxian was supposed to have already gone back to his hometown.

"Naima, have you seen young mistress?"

Naima looked at Mingyu and patted her shoulders. Your young mistress left the manor on her own again.

"What?!? Where did she go? I'm going after her."

"Okay take this with you. Naima gave her a money pouch. I didn't see her taking hers."

Naima sighed remembering the countless times Weiying snuck out of the house and Mingyu tried to find Weiying but came back empty handed and Weiying would arrive at the manor before she does.

However, this time she had to be extra careful since Weiying could no longer use Yuxian's identity or he would be drafted into imperial military school.

Weiying went to the training ground once more and found that Lanzhan was not there. So he went to the back hills and soon spotted the familiar figure in white attempting to shoot a bird with the worn out bow.

Weiying observed for a while and found that Lanzhan's skills were actually pretty decent given that his bow was below standard. Weiying noticed that the earth was wet with the rain from yesterday. But since he wanted a better look, he tiptoed and balanced himself on a rock. He regretted not going in his male disguise. His female wear was way too inconvenient for this type of activity. Adding to that, women's shoes were also quite uncomfortable to wear. It made him unable to walk quickly.

He recalled naima used to say women's shoes was naturally made that way so the girls would walk pretty. Soon the slippery earth underneath his feet gave way and Weiying unexpectedly slid and fell in front of the man himself.

"Ouch.." he exclaimed. The young man in white approached the lady dressed in a beautiful blue dress. Are you okay miss? The young man stretched out his hand to help the young lady who fell in front of him. She was holding a huge package covered with black cloth.

Weiying took his hand and got up, tidying himself. He was about to call out the boy's name but realized he may not be recognized in this get up.

"Umm.. thank you sir. Are you Lanwangji by the way?" Weiying asked looking up at the boy's handsome face.

The boy looked at Weiying and was slightly stunned by her beauty. He had never talked to any maiden in such close proximity before.

"Umm.. Yes. How do you know me?"

"In that case, here..." Weiying handed him the bulky black bag he had been carrying. Lanzhan looked at Weiying's dress and noticed the materials were of high quality that was commonly worn by someone of a noble status but he was confused why a noble lady would personally deliver something to him. Did she not have servants for that?

"How do I owe this pleasure miss? And you are?"

"Ohh.. I am Weiying. Yuxian ge was living at my house and he made this for you before he left."

"Yuxian? Then you must be.. Miss Wei. Forgive my impudence." Lanzhan slightly bowed politely.

Huh?!? He's so polite now in front of a lady. If I had known this I would show up in front of him like this a long time ago.

"So, Yuxian dared to ask the lady of the house to send this personally to me?" Lanzhan asked in confusion.

"No Of course not!! I mean he asked Yuwen to give it to you before he left but I was curious to see what kind of person would make Yuxian work so hard to create a bow for. So I snuck out to find out for myself." Weiying forced a smile and suddenly realized that he had behaved improperly as a young noble lady whose father had a pretty high status in the king's court. 

"So, Yuxian has left?"

"Yes he did yesterday."

Lanzhan opened the bag and saw a beautiful bow with an engraved silver band around the middle. The bow could not be compared with their fancy counterparts that were used by high-ranking military officials. Its design was much simpler yet it carried a noble aura of subtle beauty.

"Yuxian made this himself for me?"

"Yes he did. Can I see you try?"

Lanzhan held the center of the bow with his left hand and felt that the weight was lighter than the one he had before. It was also firm and sturdy. He took an arrowhead and placed it on the string. Then, he pluckered it on the string before releasing it and it hit a flying bird spot on.

"Woww what a great shot!! Do you like it?"

"Yes. I do." Lanzhan smiled at the maiden

Her mouth curved into a soft beautiful smile. Lanzhan saw that and he felt a thump in his heart. There was something about her bright aura that made it nearly impossible for him to look away.

Weiying noticed Lanzhan's bruised hands from using the worn out bow and could not help but sigh. She brazenly took his hands in hers and cleaned it with her handkerchief.

The sudden gesture took Lanzhan by surprise and he stood there silently watching the beautiful maiden with long eye lashes cleaning his wounds so seriously. She then poured a generous ointment from the small bottle in the bag and tied the wound with her handkerchief. Lanzhan felt his hands were warm where the maiden touched and the warm unexpectedly rose to his face.

"All done! This way, the wounds would heal much faster and your shot will be better as well." The maiden smiled again.

"Thank you Miss Wei"

"Then, I will get going."

"Umm.. Wait, Miss Wei, it's not safe to walk by yourself. At least let me walk you home as thanks."

Seriously? I can walk by myself and I know martial art so I can protect myself. Weiying thought. But Naima often told him that girls should be conservative and maybe it would be better if she did not walk by herself for the sake of appearances.

"Uhh okay. But please stop calling me Miss Wei. Weiying would do. I feel more comfortable that way." he said.

"Then, please call me Lanzhan as well."

They walked and talked as they went home. Weiying remembered exchanging very few words with Lanzhan before. He was the unsociable top student. The only times they communicated in school were the times they had competitions or contest in which they had exchanges. It was a strange feeling to be finally walking side by side and talking normally.

Mingyu who was frantically searching for Weiying found herself waiting back home at the entrance of the house. When she saw that Weiying was walking back home with Young master Lan by her side she was overjoyed. At least she was home safe.

"Greetings Lan gongzi. Thank you for walking our young miss home" Lanzhan nodded then said his goodbye leaving Weiying at his doorstep.

"Young mistress please don't run off like that again. I was so worried at least please take me with you next time."

Weiying nodded his head while he was still staring at Lanzhan's figure in a daze.

"Young mistress, How come you went home with Langongzi?"

"Ohh I met him on the way so he offered to take me home."

"Woww.. Did he know that Yuxian and young mistress is the same person?"

"I don't think he noticed. All thanks to your superb make up skills."

Mingyu smiled proudly as they go back into the house.

*When Weiying is disguised as a female , I will sometimes use 'her' to describe him so as not to confuse the identity. The point is that the people around him saw him as a female. I hope it isn't too confusing

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

EMPRESS LIU By Desi Turtle

Historical Fiction

286K 10K 55
When Liu Changsheng came into the Emperor's household marrying the fourth Prince he had no ambition at all. He was just a fool in love. He was assaul...
616K 28.9K 66
"Pretty boy, surrender that body to us!" "Not even in hell!" Bai Yuan shouted as he ran away from the thugs. Suddenly, a bright light flashed before...
37.5K 3.8K 44
After being charged for illegal drug usage, drunk driving and whatnot, Lan Wangji (a current hotshot top star) decided to end his career. With the...
189K 10.9K 39
[Completed] After being separated by morals, by death, and at last by duties, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji find themselves with an empty space in their...