The Street Fighter

Oleh beebee12345678

At the age of 17, Skylar Green is left to care for her 5-year old brother, Dylan. Her mother? Dead. Her fathe... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Authors Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Dreame
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35

Chapter 34

852 36 9
Oleh beebee12345678

"Mum," Zach warned, giving her a disapproving look.

She turned to him, raising her eyebrows at his response before turning back to me.

"Sorry, I was seeing to someone and they had my full attention at the ti-"

Zach's words cut me off, "No. I brought her here, I was the one at fault –it's my fault that we're late. Now could you please not be difficult, I'm actually hoping to enjoy tonight."

And with that, the hand resting on the small of my back guided me inside towards a living room, passing his mother as she wished for my body six feet underground with her eyes.

As we entered, I heard her footsteps behind me. The sigh of relief I had intended to release at her absence -abandoned.

We set foot in the room to find a broad-shouldered man standing by the window on the phone. His large strides were heard as he paced the room.

As he got round to finishing the call, Zach leaned into me and whispered into my ear, "That's my father, Matteo, just in case you were wondering."

I rolled my eyes at his words -trying to lighten the mood- nudging him lightly with a chuckle.

"Thank you for stating the obvious."

His smile grew at that but I faced forward again, realising that he wasn't on the phone anymore.

He turned around and began walking towards us, Zach's light touch on my back reassuring me that he was still there.

I didn't know what I'd have done without it.

Well, if it wasn't obvious that this man was Zach's father before, then it sure as hell was now.

His hair was only a shade darker than Zach's, blended in with a few strands of greying hair. His large hand raised, to graze at his chin, drawing attention to his facial hair that seemed to sculpt his face.

His large form stopped his approach in front of us.

I now understood where Zach got his looks from. The man stood before me was handsome, even for his age.

He gave no show of emotion as he held his hand out for me to shake.

I shook his hand firmly as Zach started to speak up.

"Dad, this is-"

I was quick to cut him off, knowing that this ex-gang leader was a lot more firm and hard headed than his son. Especially since he had made no reaction to my handshake.

"Skylar, I'm Skylar."

He raised his eyebrows at Zach who only responded with a smile.

Zach, you're really not helping me out here.

Was the raising of his eyebrows a good thing or not?

"Skylar," He tested out my name on his tongue before nodding. "I'm Matteo Cruz but I'm sure you already know that."

"Yes, it's a pleasure to finally meet you Sir."

He nodded before motioning for me to take a seat. I took it gratefully, instantly missing the warmth on my back provided by Zach's hand. Only then did I notice that the sofa could only seat the two of us.

Oh great, now I was separated from my saviour. Zach was sat all the way on the other sofa with his Mum, a coffee table in between us.

Matteo turned slightly, reaching beside him and grabbing a bottle from a table.

"Martini?" He asked.

I was quick to shake my head, "Oh, no thank you."

"Oh come now, if it's anything to do with age then don't worry. It's never stopped us from offering." He mentioned as he poured the scarlet liquid into a crystal glass.

"No, it really is alright. Thank you." I declined his offer.

He pushed the glass towards me, the ice knocking together as he did so, as he continued to press on.

Why was he so adamant on me drinking?

"You didn't drive here, did you?"

I waved my hands back and forth in front of me, not accepting the drink.

"No but I have a five year old to get back to when I get home. I'd rather just be careful and not drink at all."

He quirked his head, dropping the subject and stood, giving my drink to his wife before pouring one for Zach and himself.

I noticed her furrowed brows at our conversation but decided not to dwell on it too much.

What was so wrong with refusing a drink?

Zach gave me an encouraging smile from where he sat on the sofa and instantly I wished I was next to him instead.

It didn't take Angie too long to stand up from where she sat across from me.

"Right, I think the food has waited long enough," She gave me a pointed stare before continuing. "Let's eat."

Her announcement brought everyone to their feet and we headed to what I assumed was the dining room.

Zach found his way beside me and he skimmed my hand with his.

"You okay? He can be a little intense sometimes."

He?

I nodded, reassuring him that I was fine. "That was nothing."

His mother on the other hand, she was a different story all together.

I had no idea if she was like this with everyone and despite Blake's words telling me so, I was starting to doubt it.

How in the world did Tiffany become friends with Zach if his mother was like this?

Clearly, she likes Tiffany and not you.

The voice echoed the words I was too afraid to vocalise.

She simply didn't like me.

And she was correct in doing so.

Who would want their child to be with a monster like me anyways?

I was foolish in thinking that she would ever like me.

The sound of Zach pulling a chair out for me, broke me from my thoughts. And I was glad for his actions because I had no idea where I was supposed to sit.

If I had sat in his mother's chair by accident, it would've been over for me.

I voiced my gratitude with a small 'thank you', before sitting down.

Zach sat beside me, leaving me very grateful -at least I could feel his presence.

The smell of lasagne filled the air as Angie brought the piping dish over. Steam rose from it and I involuntarily licked my lips as it was set in the centre of us all.

A few other items were brought out and Angie lowered her right side of her head, motioning to Zach at my plate.

He picked it up and dished up for me and I murmured my appreciation for his actions.

I waited until everyone had taken their serving and once Matteo started to dig in, I followed suit.

Just the taste had my mouth watering. It was delicious.

And despite the cold woman who sat opposite me, I couldn't help but voice how good the food tasted. Other words of agreement were shared around the table as we continued eating.

She nodded in acknowledgement, "Thank you, it's a family secret."

Wow, this family clearly knew good food then.

Considering this was the first time she was civil with me, I swallowed my mouthful ready to continue the conversation but Matteo spoke up in time.

"So, I assume you know that Zach is part of a gang?"

My eyes widened slightly at the question but I was quick to void my face of any emotion, not wanting to make known the shock I felt.

This was not the kind of conversation I was expecting to have tonight. And most certainly not this early on.

We had just been talking about food.

But the feeling of suspense in the air loomed over us as he awaited my answer.

"Yes," I nodded. "Him and a few friends."

"You know," He stated matter-of-factly, "that the position he is in right now, puts him into a substantial amount of wealth."

I nearly did a double take at the turn this was taking.

Where the fuck was he going with this?

"Well, I don't doubt i-"

"And from what I've heard, you would be in much need of his funding right now."

"Dad," Zach shot daggers at the man at the head of the table. "What in the world are you trying to insinuate?"

Zach's words held anger and his hand moved to my thigh under the table, letting me know that he was there for me.

But he didn't have to be. I could handle it.

This was between me and his father.

I gave his hand a gentle squeeze, trying to let him know of this.

"Being homeless and clearly having taken a liking to you, the gang leader, sure do go hand in hand."

My lips set into a firm line at his words.

Was he accusing me of using Zach for his power?

I pretended like he was not trying to allude to what I thought and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

"Sir, I am hardly homeless. I am temporarily staying with family until I can arrange a place of my own. And I pla-"

Zach's words interrupted me, his grip on my thigh having tightened slightly.

Clearly what Matteo had said was not something to be taken lightly. It was meant to be taken in a negative connotation.

"Dad, I brought her here to-"

Matteo held his hand up, silencing his son as he spoke once again, his eyes not leaving mine.

I matched his stare with a hard glare of my own, not backing away.

This time my hand clasped his a little tighter –I didn't want to have him help out right now. I didn't want him solving all of my problems for me.

I didn't have to play nice. They may have been Zach's parents but if they were going to disrespect me like that then I wouldn't stand abide to their comments.

I was human too.

More monster than human.

I decided to ignore my subconscious as I listened to what Matteo had to say.

"You brought her here because she has you wrapped around her little finger. When you fall pregnant with his child, do not expect-"

This time I interjected, halting his accusations.

What did these people think of me as?

I would never be able to stoop that low.

Are you sure about that, slut? We all know you're more than capable of whoring around. Were you not just with Shaun last week? And now you're here having dinner with another's parents.

"With all due respect, Sir," my voice was calm and composed but everyone was able to detect the iciness that accompanied it. "I have nothing over Zach. And if you are implying that I am around him for his money, then you know nothing about me."

Angie thought it best to chime in now, voicing her own opinions on the matter.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. That boy of yours, was he not the product of your last victim? Have you already sucked him dry of his earnings? Now on to Zach?"

I stood hastily, my knees knocking my chair back in the process. It teetered on its hind legs before settling back into place, not falling.

My hand shot out, stopping Zach from his next moves.

"If any reference to that boy is to come out of your mouth again, then I assure you, you will be my next victim."

His mother looked up at me, a sneer planted on her face.

"Such a shame too. That sweet little boy has to put up with a mother like you. He clearly does not share your heart."

I looked to Zach before turning my attention back on her.

I thought he had told them of Dylan. Did she not know that he was not my son?

I didn't care at that point. I was furious.

Only because you know it's true. Dylan deserves so much more than having to put up with you.

"Dylan is her brother."

Her eyes visibly widened at the words as she gave out a sound, choking slightly on her own spit.

Zach stood with his words, his hand clasping mine. The warmth in his palm calmed me slightly and before I could have another go at her for bringing Dylan into this, I released a shaky breath.

Zach had wanted to enjoy tonight. He wanted us to get along. I couldn't spoil that by saying something that couldn't be taken back.

"Well what kind of mother leaves her child homeless to care for her younger brother? Irresponsible if you ask me."

I did a double take at her words. Was she still going on?

This time Matteo rose to his feet, his large build towering over me. But his large stature did not discourage me from the daggers I shot at him.

Did he have an input too?

He looked over at his wife, lifting his hand slightly in a sign to stop.

"That is enough, Ang."

But his strong assertion was quickly disregarded by me.

"A dead one. Now if you dare talk about another member of my family again then I am leaving."

I was only staying for Zach's sake. However I felt that decision to do so was doing more harm than it was good.

"No, Skylar. It doesn't matter, we are leaving. I wouldn't have put you in this situation if I knew they were going to be this rude." His statement fell upon deaf ears as we continued to stare each other down.

None of us moved from our stood positions.

"Why did you come tonight Skylar?" His mother's tone held no hint of malice, just genuine curiosity.

I answered honestly. "Zach invited me and I agreed considering he had mentioned that you wanted to meet me. I didn't think that the reason behind our encounter tonight would be because you wanted to prove me unworthy of your son."

Matteo lifted a brow, mocking me with his voice as if he had caught me out. "Ahh, but you don't deny it."

I shook my head in agreement. "Of course not. It's the truth, I am not worthy of your son. I don't deserve him nor will I ever -I came for that fact. If he wanted me to meet you, it was the least I could do for him."

My eyes softened as I looked to the boy beside me gripping my hand.

I'm sorry, my eyes tried to convey to him, I'm sorry for being me and messing up your dinner.

It didn't go as planned.

If I was a different person then maybe they could have accepted me. Liked me, even.

But no. Instead I was Skylar.

Pathetic fucking Skylar.

Zach gave my hand a squeeze and I only hoped he understood my message.

Angie cocked her head slightly as I turned back to face the two.

"And so why are you still here? Maybe you are just a gold digger trying to pursue our son?" His words were bold. Bold, in the sense that he was still saying them, to me. Of all people.

After I had threatened his wife.

I suppose it seemed like an empty threat when he had no clue that the person who stood before them was Stealth.

I let out a shaky breath before deciding to keep my composure, speaking up with a firm voice.

"You should know by now that isn't true. If I was really seeking out your son with the intent on spending his money then I sure as hell would not be talking to the both of you the way I have tonight. I am still here solely because you happened to disrespect me by bringing my family into the matter and foul mouthing them. Both of which are unwarranted."

Matteo cleared his throat but a shriek from behind me was heard, interrupting his next words.

"Sky!" Faith's scream echoed from the door and my heart melted for her as she came running towards me, her pigtails bouncing along the way.

How could this innocent, kind little girl have such parents?

I bent down just in time as she threw her tiny arms around my neck, planting a kiss on my cheek.

Unaware of the tension in the room, she started babbling about her day as my lips found their way to her flushed cheek, kissing her back.

My body relaxed under her hold as she pulled away, continuing on about her outing until abruptly stopping.

I was glad for her presence, the small girl in her own world, calming me down without even trying.

She reminded me of the boy I left at home and her exclamation revealed that we were thinking along the same line.

"You didn't bring Dylan."

I exhaled, staring into her bright blue eyes. "No, unfortunately Dyl heard that a little princess was going to be shopping all day so didn't think you needed much saving."

A wild looking Lyla came bustling through the door, a few bags in her hand as she speedily spoke.

"I'm sorry it's so late, I wasn't expecting for us to be so long but we," her voice slowed, quieting down until it was no longer heard, taking in our positions at the table.

It was clear, to her, that the dinner had not gone so well.

At the silence in the room, Faith began to babble on again. "Do you want to come play dress up again? We have a new dress for you and-"

"Faith," Lyla yelped. Faith's mouth dropped slightly as her hand rose to her cheeks in shock, trying to cool the rosy tinge growing on them.

So cute.

"Oh, sorry. I –um, did you want to play though?"

A small smile flitted onto my face as my hand made its way to her cheek, rubbing my thumb gently over the smooth skin.

"I'm sorry, Faith. I can't tonight, I think I'm just about to get going but I don't think you'd last very long anyways. It must be way past your bedtime."

She leaned into my hand, her eyelids drooping slightly as she shook her head. Clearly today's shopping trip took a toll on her.

"How about during the day when you've got more energy? Then we'll have plenty of time for the knight to come save us. And I'd even be able to bring Dylan."

She thought over my words before giving a lazy nod. "Tomorrow?"

I gave a sad smile at the question. With what went down tonight, I doubted it'd be anytime soon.

"Mmm, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, okay?"

I rose from my crouched position as she dawdled towards her mother, who picked her up.

"Let's get you to bed then sweetie." It was the first time I had heard Angie speak so softly, almost so that I strained to hear it.

Faith, however, was quick to shake her head. "I want to go with you to say bye to Sky at the door."

Considering too many words had already been spoken tonight, we walked towards the front door in silence. And I was glad.

I did not want Faith to see me lose my temper. And especially not at her parents.

Once making it there, Faith was placed on the floor and I wrapped her in a big hug, kissing her cheek lightly as we exchanged our goodbyes.

She was scooped back up by Angie who nuzzled her nose against Faith's, causing the girl in her arms to close her eyes.

Zach opened the door for me and started to walk out with me before I stopped him.

"Hey, it's okay. Stay here with your family, I'll call someone to come pick me up."

He gave me an incredulous look, as though I was crazy.

"No Zach, it's okay. You haven't spent much time with them anyways since they've been away. Trust me."

I placed my palm flat on his chest, softly pushing him. But he didn't budge.

"Zach," I sighed.

His hand seized a hold of my own that rested on his chest as he brought them up to his lips, kissing my knuckles lightly.

His blue orbs came into contact with my green ones, staring intently as he spoke. "I- please." It came as more of a plea.

He needed this. After the occurrences of tonight, he was left exhausted not even having the energy to talk –his words more of a whisper.

I nodded, "Alright."

He responded with a small smile, placing his lips to my knuckles again before deciding to take my hand into his, interlocking our fingers as he held my hand.

I turned back to Angie, holding a dozing off Faith.

"I really hope for your sake that the next girl Zach brings home, does not get to see you in the light that I saw you in tonight because I doubt you'd get to see a great deal of moments like those with your grandchildren." I said, referring to the way Faith was snuggled up to her.

There was no bitterness in what I had said and I meant it whole heartedly.

I wasn't enough for Zach. I knew that. They knew that.

But I truly did hope that his children would be able to have a relationship with their grandparents.

If they were going to dislike Zach's date from the get go and treat them in the same way as me, I wouldn't be surprised if Zach and his partner came to resent his parents.

And it would be a shame.

Because judging by the kind nature and love of their children, they'd make such loving grandparents.

Maybe just not the best parents-in-law.

With that, we turned, Zach closing the door behind us as we made our way to his car.

A slow, steady sigh escaped my lips.

I was glad that was over.

What a night it was.

And after all of that, I wasn't even coming home with any dessert for Dylan.

Leave a comment and tell me if you're enjoying the book so far and what you think should happen next...

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

3.9K 155 70
Normal... Yeah right... Who wants normal when you can have my live full of ups and downs oh and don't forget the side ways. xxx Meet Allison Hope...
145K 3.1K 31
COMPLETED (but editing) Let's talk illegal. When you think of the word illegal, you probably think Theft, Rape, Murder, But have you ever thought of...
441K 11.3K 15
Highest Ranking: #11 in Action // 12.25.17 I'm Lesley, you would think I'm this sweet innocent girl but, let's face it. I'm none of that. Usually 17...
265K 10.7K 24
Sudden death changes everything. Started with a slap, a punch, a kick or two. Until it got to more, more than Skylar Rose can handle. Skylar's mom to...