Scholarship...

By simply-temi

Step into the captivating world of "Royal Valley High" Meet Lewa, an ordinary Nigerian teenager whose life ta... More

√2. Character Aesthetic
√3 First Impressions
√4 To the Village
√5 Nightmares
√6 Cover Up
√7 Stoichiometry
√8 First Dates
√9 Freedom Park
√10 Apologies
√11 Proposal
√12 Mine.
√13. Competition
√14. Secrets
√15. Masturbating
√16. Heartbreak?
√17 Regrets?
COVER!!(PLEASE DON'T SKIP)
√18. Project
√19. Bonds of Chemistry

√1 Introductions

2.3K 302 248
By simply-temi

Disclaimer:

Before you start reading let me just let you know that if you plan on saying anything hateful or anything you know you don't want someone to say about your book you should probably leave now. Because I WILL block you. I WILL report your account. And I WILL drag you out. Thank you.

A peek into Lewa's Life

Above is a picture of Lewa. This is my first chapter and I hope you enjoy it.
You may start reading.
************************************************************************************************************

Why is my cloth wet? Ahan, is it raining ni?

I opened my eyes and saw Sister Shade holding a bucket over my head laughing.

"You better get up and go and peel yam for mummy and daddy," she said.

"Ooooh! What is it now; somebody cannot even sleep in peace in this house, haba!"

"Is it me you are talking to like that, do I look like your mate?" yes you do "Please oh! Did I call your name?" I said instead.

"Lewa! Are you still in that bed?" my mother said with her thick Yoruba tongue.

"No ma!" I lied and put my head back on the pillow.

I heard her footsteps getting closer, so I immediately jumped out of bed and pretended to be laying my wet bed.

"Are you deaf? Or you didn't hear me call your name."
This woman ehn.

"ma binu ma"(don't be angry).

"Kilode ti mi ni binu"
(Why shouldn't I be angry).

"Come on go and cut yam that all of us will eat this morning."

"Yes ma", I mumbled.

I don't know why Sister Shade cannot prepare breakfast. They have to wake me up from my sleep to do it.

************************************************************************

I am sitting in chemistry class and was trying to listen to the gibberish our chemistry teacher is saying.

I don't even understand this question.

"What is this man even saying?" Someone murmured from the back of the class, and the whole class burst into laughter.

"Who said that", Mr. Falana demanded.

Nobody answered.

"You guys will not talk abi, no problem".

"Assignment!!" he shouted.

Everybody started to groan and complain. What is wrong with this man?

I am not really an academic person; in fact, I was forced into science class by my mom and Sister Shade, who claims that my track talent is just a phase.

At least I manage to be an average student. Because mom threatened to not pay my school fees again if I fail any class and I don't think I want to be a dropout.

To me, the track is everything. I started to run when I was in JSS2 for my school. I didn't even know I could run that fast.

My school always takes me out for competitions and I recently went for a track and field competition against one of the best schools in the country, Royal valley High School, and guess who gapped all their runners?

I did!

Anyways, the school was impressed and suggested that I apply for the scholarship program. And that I did.

I was told that the results would be out anytime from now.

But I have this gut feeling that I won't get the Scholarship. Thousands of people all over the country applied for the track Scholarship, it's now Iwalewa that would now get it.

I've heard a lot about the school, they are popular for their academic excellence and good sportsmanship.

But you don't see regular people going to this school, because of how expensive it is. But Vivian, my best friend goes there.

Vivian's father is a senator, so he is able to send her to school there.
Vivian never hesitates to tell me all about the school and all the gist that go on there. From what I have been able to grab from what she has told me, she is quite popular in the school and she is also the assistant senior prefect.

If you are wondering how I am best friends with a senator's daughter.
Vivian and I have always been friends, even before her father became a senator.

Our mothers have been best of friends since they were 12, and they made a promise to each other when they were 16 that their children will be best friends.

Unfortunately, Vivian and Sister Shade don't get along.

It hasn't always been like that, they were once best friends.

Sister Shade is three years older than I am, and Vivian is a year older than me.

They were best friends till Sister Shade was eight and Vivian was six, Sister Shade said that she was too old to be playing with a six-year-old, so she stopped talking to Vivian.

I don't believe that story, something else must've happened, because they were too close to just end their friendship like that.

Sister Shade really scorns Vivian, maybe it is because Vivian is spoilt.

************************************************************************

"Iwalewa, come here!" I heard my name being called.

"Yes, daddy!" I yelled back while entering the parlor.

"Sir", I said again.

I don't know why Nigerian parents like doing this, they will call you when you now come they will not now say anything.

"Omo mi joko"
(My child, seat down)

I sat down on the couch opposite him just in case I am in trouble.

So he will not come and spoil my fine face for me with slaps.

Wait oh, what if he throws his slippers at me.

"I just received an email from the school you applied for a scholarship in."

My heart began to race, did I get the scholarship?

Lewa are you not the one that said you will not get it, that little voice in my head says.

Leave me joor.

Why am I even talking to myself?

"What about it sir?" I asked.

"I have not opened it yet, I want you to open it by yourself."

"Okay sir", he passed the laptop to me and I opened the mail.

From: Royal valley High school administration
To: Ms. Abioye Lewa

This letter is regarding the confirmation notice for your scholarship....blah...blah....blah.......
This letter is to confirm that you have been granted a two-year track scholarship...

I got the scholarship... I actually got the scholarship.

I didn't even notice that my father had already picked me up and started spinning me around.

I started screaming.

"Yes!!! I did it"

"I actually did it"

"Why are you guys shouting like this, I am trying to study" Sister Shade came out of her room and asked.

"I got it!" I replied.

"Got what?" she asked.

This girl lacks sense. "The scholarship," I said in a duh tone.

"Serious", she asked.

"Nooooooo play" I replied her.

Sister Shade rushed and started hugging me tightly.

"I am so proud of you", she said.

Is this not the same person that was kept on telling me this is all a phase?

"Let's call mummy and tell her now", Sister Shade suggested.

"Oya now," I said

Sister Shade got her phone out and dialed mummy's number.

"Kini o Shade Mo wa ni ibi ise"(what is it Shade I am at work)

"Mummy Lewa is here, she has something to tell you," Sister Shade said.

"Awon omo wonyi, do you want to get me fired"(these children)

"Mummy, I got the scholarship"

The line was silent for a few seconds before...

"I knew it"!!!

Look at the person that is at work.

"I knew that my prayers will not be in vain!"

"My enemies will cry today!"

"My God has never failed me"
"Wait I am coming home now, Shade start making Jollof rice, we have to celebrate"

I opened my WhatsApp and posted it on my status, and immediately messages started to fly in.

When I was done, I called Vivian.

"Babe, nawa oh, I am coming to your house, wait".

Vivian came to my house and immediately pulled me into a hug.

"Baaabeee nawa oh, levels don change," she said.

"Yup" I replied.

"Come let's go to your room," she said.

We left the parlor and went into my room.

"Babe you see this Royal valley ehn" Vivian said.

"What happened to it"

"The first impression is everything"

"Don't need to tell me twice"

"When you get there don't act like a fool"

"Don't go around talking to Scholarships students" she said with her hands on her ears.

"Why?" I said because she is acting like my mother when she is telling me not to be having boyfriends.

"I'll introduce you to Zara, a girl in your class, she's really cool"

"Okay," I said.

"She will tell you the people you are allowed to talk to"

"But why"?

"Lewa once you enter that school everyone is watching you like a hawk"

"One mistake and your rep is ruined"

That sounds serious

"What's the worst that can happen?"

"The whole school turns against you" Vivian answered

"You will have no friends even your juniors will bully you" Vivian finished

"Let them come first," I said hissing.

"I'm not kidding Lewa, ask around when you get there"

"The most important thing is that you must not tell anyone that you are on a scholarship program"

"Alright," I said

"This is serious Lewa, don't even talk about it in school"

"Okay, I have heard you," I said.

"We have to come up with a cover story"

What is your problem Vi!" I yelled at her.

"My problem? I'm just trying to help you oh" she said.

"Abeg, you are making this thing sound more serious than it is," I said.

"Okay, no problem. I will not let you come and ruin my rep so I will kukuma not talk to you again" she said.

"It's hasn't gotten up to that now, oya what is the cover story?" I said poking her.

"Ehen, so where was I again?"

"You hadn't even started Vi"

"If anyone asks you which school you came from, tell them you just arrived in Nigeria from studying overseas for a year at Oxford High school"

"Your father is a very successful doctor," she said.

"Mhmm," I said clearly bored.

"Your mother is a banker" she continued ignoring my attitude.

"And just be you the rest of the time" she finishes.

"Is that all?" I ask

"Yup," she said popping the 'p'.

"Great, now let's go and eat rice". 

************************************************************************
A/N:

What did you guys think? Share your thoughts.
Feel free to let me know if I made any errors.
The next chapter is Lewa's first day at R.V.H.S
And yes I am aware that there is nothing like Royal Valley High school.
I will try to update as much as I can

************************************
Don't forget to Vote and comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.1K 12.8K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
447 62 10
❛❛𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒆𝒏𝒕; 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒔. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓...
8.4K 1.7K 26
(Book 2) (Stand-alone) Danielle's got a double image attached to her, but to many, she is an annoying student who wouldn't fail to dig into things t...
24.8K 3.6K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...