Worthy of Sin | Nas

By OfficiallyJayx

When he first seen her, he knew that she was what he wanted; Too bad he didn't know how to handle it once he... More

CAST & PLAYLIST
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine

One

2.6K 105 104
By OfficiallyJayx

Zola 'Slim' Monroe || June 1998

"Welcome to mí casa! It's not much, but it'll make do for now..." Kori opened the front door to her brownstone and proceeded to step inside and I followed. The aroma of Florida water and sandalwood incense filled the space and it gave me a warm, home feeling. She wasn't lying when she said it wasn't much. It was pretty small compared to the apartments back home, but I wasn't judging. Besides, it was just her until she opened up her humble abode to me, so I was grateful.

The place had cemented floors, in which she decorated with neutral colored rugs that matched the minimalistic furniture. The paintings she had hanging around were a nice distraction from the dingy, cracked walls; but she definitely made it work. "I see you lookin' around here wit' ya face all turnt up! We come from the same place, baby, I know what you're thinking, and they were my thoughts at first too, but, it is what it is. Just be glad you ain't gotta worry about rats and roaches crawling all over you." She spoke and I chuckled softly and nodded in agreement.

"You right, but I appreciate you for letting me stay with you... and for getting me a job." Thanks to Kori, she was able to get me a job at a club she worked at, working as a bartender/bottle girl and I would actually be starting with her tonight."You know I got you, cuzzo. Auntie asked me to look out for you, and ima do just that." I rolled my eyes playfully and we both chuckled. She then led me further through her place, showing me the kitchen, where she kept hygiene and household products and the bathroom before she showed me to my room.

The room was pleasant. It wasn't as big as hers was, but it would accommodate me. It's not like I really had a choice in the matter anyways, but I was beyond grateful to even have a roof over my head.

I threw my duffel bags onto the Full-sized bed and exhaled heavily. To say I was tired would be a major understatement. The three-day Bus ride from Oakland to New York did just enough to drain me of my energy. Between being uncomfortable, loud ass children and a putrid pissy smell that lingered from the bathroom on the bus was the perfect remedy to put me in the current state of restlessness.

"I'm sorry about the paint smell— I waited until the other day to finally repaint in here, but you're always welcome to change the color." She says while walking over to the only window in my room that was on the wall by my bed. She pulled the blinds up and opened up the window and a nice gust of wind flowed through the room, making it a easier to breathe a bit.

"Nah, it's all good. I really appreciate the effort you put in for me." I smiled and she returned it, coming over to hug me for a second time. "I'm so happy to have my favorite cousin here with me!" She gushed and I chuckled, pulling away after a few moments. Growing up, Kori and I were literally attached at the hip. The both of us were only a year and four months apart, and since we were practically raised in the same house and we were the only children for some time, we didn't have much of a choice to be as close as we are.

When we were fourteen, her Mother, Myra, made the wise decision to move to New York because of some guy that she was so set on marrying and spending forever with. Not even six months later, my Aunt and the man had parted ways but Myra liked the city and the feelings it brought her so she stayed.

After the move, Kori would come back to Oakland during Spring, Winter and Summer breaks to spend time with her biological father and our grandparents, but after losing all of them, the visits stopped. Our mothers kept in touch, of course, but because of distance and our own lives, it made it hard for Kori and myself to do the same at that young age.

"Alright. I'm going to leave you alone so you can start getting unpacked and get some rest. Um— let's see..." She paused as she took a glance at her watch and continued, "It's just about 3 o'clock now and your shift doesn't start until 10, but we gotta get there a little earlier to prep for tonight, and you have a few things to learn so we'll head out around 8:30, 9 o'clock, yeah?" She says and I responded with a nod.

With that, she left out of the bedroom and I was left alone in my own solitude. I had all the time in the world to unpack. The main thing I wanted to do right now at this current moment was rest and that's just what I did.

A few hours later, Kori had woken me up so we could start getting ready for our shift. I showered and moisturized before deodorizing. When I left out of the bathroom, I went into Kori's bedroom like she'd asked me too and on the bed, there was an all black outfit laid out: A mesh long sleeve one piece with a leather bralette, along with a leather skirt with a small slit on the left side and a pair of black shoes.

"This is a cute outfit..."

"Yeah, I know. It's for you." She says while packing garments in a duffle bag wearing an outfit similar to mine and I looked at her confused. "For me? This is what I have to wear to work? Every night?"

"Duh! You're a bartender. You have to look appealing in order to allure and capture the customers! Especially the niggas. Once they have a bartender they like, they'll be requesting you for drinks all night and you'll instantly fall in love with the tips." She explained and I nodded while shrugging because that made sense. I was a tad bit nervous, though. I was very open minded when it came to clothing, but for the most part, I stuck to my style. I liked to show skin and wear clothes that were tight, but to do both at the same time was rare.

"You'll be fine— and besides, if you don't like it, you can always find another job that suits you. Now, go ahead and get dressed. Do your hair and makeup and meet me in the living room when you're done, aight?"

"Okay."

"Oh! And I recommend you bring a change of clothes because those heels gon' have your feet fucked up and it gets cold at night. Welcome to the East Coast.." She teased in reference to California's year-round warm weather.

I let out a light chuckle and grabbed the clothes and went back into my bedroom to get ready for my shift.  I put on some makeup, lined and glossed my lips before applying false individual lashes. I often got questions about whether or not my eyelashes were real whenever I did decide to get all dolled up like this, and I always said yes. I mean, it wasn't a lie. I bought them and they were on my eyes, which made it mine. This rule went for weaves or any other hair extension I decided to attach to myself.

Speaking of weaves, I could feel the few tracks I had installed were starting to loosen up, which meant I would be due for another installation soon. I would still be able to make due with it so I went ahead and warmed up my pressing comb and flat irons in my portable ceramic stove. I pressed and curled my hair to perfection, ensuring my curls were neat before spraying some holding spray and using my fingers to separate the curls and give my hair some volume.

As I put away the rest of my hair products and allowed the hot tools to cool, I noticed we had a little less than ten minutes to head out so I hurriedly raided my back for accessories and I packed a bag like Kori had told me to before I slid on my coat and met her in the living room.

"Oooh! Cute! Alright, let me get a look at you." She examined my outfit, hair and makeup, nodding in approval before making a statement about my lack of cleavage.

"Do you have a push up bra?"

"No? Bitch, I barely even wear bras."

"Well, I'd advise you to invest in some once you get paid or tape your boobs... The bigger the titty, the bigger the tip. But overall, you look like a money maker. You ready to head out?" I nodded as I made a mental note of what she said. We ensured the place was locked up before heading out

Once we got outside, I started to walk towards the car until Kori stopped me. "Uh-Uhn... We walking, sweetheart." She says and I looked at her like she was crazy. "Walking? At this time of night?"

"Yeah! I mean, it may seem like a bad idea, but I promise it's not that bad." She says, looping her arm with mine as we continued to walk down the street in the direction towards the club. "And besides, it's only a few blocks away. We'll be fine." She reassures as we continued to make our way down the street.

"What time do we get off?" I asked and she looked over at me and by the look on her face, I knew I would be dissatisfied with her answer. "3-3:30." My mouth dropped open and she laughed out loud. "Girl!"

"I know! I know! It takes some getting used to, but I promise, once you start working and get a hang of it, you'll be fine. It's really kind of fun once you find your groove and get used to people," Kori explained. That right there told me that once I did start school I would have to find another job because between these demanding ass hours and my studies, I wouldn't have any peace.

While we continued to walk, there were a group of men outside a corner store. The nervousness that came with walking past a group of niggas— cute or not— will forever be nerve wrecking and uncomfortable. I could feel their eyes on me and I heard the comments they made amongst themselves.

"Baby in the blue! What's the deal?!" I heard one of them call out and I tucked in my lips to hold in my laughter and Kori looked over at me with a goofy ass smile. "Ayo, I know you hear me! Well fuck you 'den! You ugly anyways, fuck outta here!"

Niggas and their poor egos. I don't understand how just ten seconds ago, you undressed me and mentally fucked me, tryna spit some wack shit,but now I'm ugly because I won't give you the time of day? It was honestly beyond me, but the opinion of a man could never phase me. Period.

"Are they all like this?" I questioned and she smacked her lips, "Girl. It really ain't no different how niggas be in Oakland. A nigga gon' be a nigga no matter the location." She had a point there. It's like it was in their nature to be thirsty ass hounds. Couldn't stand a hound ass nigga.

"Yeah, you right. Aye, you know anywhere to get human hair tracks?" She mumbled and her eyes wandered as she thought about it. "Oh! Yeah! The homegirl Juanita that do hair sell some. She live out in Queens. When you need it?" She reached into her pocket and grabbed a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. She unwrapped her arm from mine so she could shield the small breeze from putting her flame out.

"ASAP. I gotta take this shit out— Kori.... now when the hell did you start smoking that stinky, nasty shit?" I questioned with my face scrunched up, waving my hand to get the smoke from around me. "I promise it's occasional, but I'm stressed out and tired. Between working two jobs and dealing with this stupid ass nigga of mine, I need a little something to take the edge off." She says, taking two more tokes before throwing her cigarette down and stomping on it to put it out.

"Girl, smoke some weed! Fuck cigarettes...and boyfriend? I didn't know you had a man." I teased and she rolled her eyes as a smile played on her face. Her ass was sprung, over here blushing and shit. "Yeah.. his name is Anthony. We been together for about a year now... He's good to me for the most part, but he fuckin' sucks at communicating and opening up. Like, he had it rough growing up— like most of us— but he's been through some shit and I try to let him know that I'm here for him and I want to help him... but at the same time, I'm not this nigga's mama! I'm not his therapist... I shouldn't have to pay for what other people have done, especially when I don't give him a reason to even act like this towards me at all." Kori confessed, sighing heavily out of frustration while shaking her head.

"I don't know... I don't want to give up on him because I really do like him... I think I love him, you know? But I don't want to keep putting in my energy and effort into building trust, just for all of it to be in vain." She explained and I wrapped my arm around her as we continued to walk. I hadn't seen Kori this serious about a nigga since we were young. I didn't know much about her love life since we've been apart, but when were younger? Kori was a player, on some real shit.

From middle school, Kori was quick to snatch a nigga up and throw his ass back to the streets. At that age, she wasn't having sex— let me stop lying, because the summer before Freshman year she lost her virginity to Reginald Harris. He was a junior at the high school she planned on attending, and of course he was popular. He wasn't even a jock, but he just had pull around the school and with the kids in our city. After they slept together, they had a small fling up until Kori broke shit off with him after being approached by one of his play things at the mall. They actually slept together again when Kori had came down to visit one summer. I remember having to always cover for her when she would sneak out to go get her groove on. I hated it, but thinking back, those were some good times. Being able to be so young and careless.

Since then, I wasn't too sure about Kori and her sex life or love life overall, but it was really none of my business.

"Aww! I know y'all will get through it. Have you tried coming up with ways for y'all to communicate through ways that are nonverbal? Like, writing it out or some shit like that?" She shook her head. "No... and I don't know why I've never thought of anything that fucking simple... This is why you're my fave." She leaned into me and I chuckled.

We had finally made it to the club and that muthafucka' had a line damn near wrapped around the block. I just knew with this place being in high demand, I would have to hustle my ass off. I didn't mind a little challenge, though.

"You ready?" She asked with a smile, gently nudging me and I shrugged. "I mean, I guess. I never really worked a job like this."

"You'll do fine! Trust me. You're beautiful, got a nice body, hella fun and you make good conversation... you just gotta come outta your shell a little bit, that's all. And when you find yourself getting antsy and tired or whatever, remind yourself of the main goal..... Just imagine yourself being at a big ass party and you're socializing with the guests." She advised and I nodded, taking in her words and she smiled widely. "You ready?"

"Yeah... let's go!" I smiled and she grabbed my hand. We walked to the front of the club and she greeted the bouncer. He was definitely easy on the eyes. Of course, as expected, he was tall and muscular as fuck. His biceps, abs and pecks poked through his tight long sleeve shirt and I just knew his body was hard as a rock. He was chocolate with a cute goatee to compliment his big lips, which also complimented his wide nose and almond eyes. Everything just fit.

And besides Tupac, bald niggas didn't do it for me but he was considerable.

"Hey, Ronnie! What's going on?" She greeted him with a smile and he returned the smile and greeting before his eyes shifted over to me. He kicked his lips and questioned Kori, "Who's this?"

"This is my cousin, Slim. She just moved here from Oakland and she'll be working with us now."

"How you doin' beautiful?" He bit his lip on the sly, clearly checking me out as he extended his hand, and so I extended mine.

"Hey, wassup?" I smiled and he licked his lips. "I guess I should look forward to seeing you around here more often." His accent was making me feel a way. It was just something about New York niggas. I listened to music from the East Coast and their voices— the gruffness, the aggressiveness was definitely enough to peak my interest.

"Oh, fasho. I'll see you later." I smiled and eased my hand out of his since he hadn't let go. "Say less, ma. I'll see y'all..." I could feel him checking me out as we walked into the club. "Ima just let you know this now, that nigga flirts with everyone and will fuck anything. He cool but that nigga is scum. Don't get your hopes up." She warned as we made our way through the empty club.

I didn't take niggas serious no way, but I appreciated the look out. We made our way through the empty club and she led me towards the back. "You're officially about to meet the boss. He been feigning to to meet you since y'all had that phone interview, wit' his thirsty ass." I chuckled and shook my head.

Once we arrived in front of what I presumed to be the Boss' office, Kori knocked on the door few times and didn't enter until we heard a gruff voice call out, "Come in..."

"Wassup, Kelly? Your new employee is here.." She says with a small smile and he turned around in his swivel chair, and as soon as his eyes landed on me, he smiled. "I don't know what I was expecting when I heard your voice, but I definitely am not disappointed. How you doin', I'm Kelly." He stood up and extended his hand and I took a few steps forward to shake his hand and I gave him a polite smile. "Zola. Nice to formally meet you."

I hated my government name, forreal. Zo was fine, but I preferred to be called Slim. It was nickname growing up and it was what all my homies back home referred to me as.

"Likewise. So your cousin tells me you come from Oakland and you came over on this side for college. What school you go to, sweetheart?" He opened up a drawer in his desk and reached inside for a cigar and his lighter. He stared at me intently as he lit the stick of tobacco and took a puff.

"I start at NYU in the fall. I'm a transfer from UCLA." He looked at me impressed before retracting the cigar from his lips and exhaling, "Educated and pretty? That's rare now and days... Hm." He mumbled, eyes traveling up my legs and the rest of my body until he got to my face. I looked at him with squinted eyes and my eyebrow raised. Just to let him know I definitely saw his nasty ass checking me out.

This man was deadass old enough to be my father.

He cleared his throat and smirked as he sat back in his seat. "So Kori also tells me that you're new to the club scene. Where have you worked before?"

"I've been working since I was 16 and I mostly worked retail. Beauty supply stores..., um I worked on campus at UCLA in the library and I also worked as a cashier at Jack in the box."

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "Who?"

"It's a fast food restaurant on the West Coast." I clarified and Kori snickered. "Oh okay... Your resumé is pretty extensive. I assume you're good at communicating with people then."

I nodded, "Oh yeah, fasho. I don't play about my cheddar." I playfully joked and he smirked, ashing the cigar and nodding his head. "And that's the exact attitude you need to have. Headquarters is the hottest, most demanded club in the whole city. Our goal is to offer the best service to our customers in the best way possible, you understand?" He stood up and walked over to the other side of his desk and he sat on it while looking me in the eye this time.

"We operate as a family here at headquarters. We all look out for one another. Where one sees the other lacking, they pick up for it. That's how we stay strong. That's how we stay on top. Now, since it is your first week, you'll be going through a few weeks of training. Since Kori is your family and is pretty much responsible for you and your fuck ups, you'll be shadowing her. For the next week or so, you'll be working behind the bar with Kori and some other people you'll meet soon enough.. and then as you become more comfortable and progress, we'll have you serving tables and then once you get used to that, you'll bounce back and forth between the two positions. Can you handle that?"

I nodded, "Yeah, forsure. Sounds like a piece of cake, to be honest." I was lowkey lying my ass off. This shit sounds tiring and nerve wrecking, but I kept Kori's advice into the back of my mind and I also tried to remind myself to be grateful that I even had a job. A job I didn't even have to work for, at that.

"Good. We'll fill out some paper work and I'll give you your name tag and you'll hit the floor."

*****

Note:

Heyyyyy ☺️ did y'all mith me? Cause I definitely did miss y'all. In this chapter, we just get a look into Zola and her new life. Of course as the story goes on, we'll learn more about Zola and we'll be introduced to Sin and y'all finna be in for a wild ride with this toxic ass nigga 🥴.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 1K 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
1.6M 74.1K 140
He sighed lowly to himself. "I love you too though" "You don't..." I replied. "Why don't you believe me?" "Because you screamed it to me Jay, right a...
5.3K 103 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
4.6K 208 35
Kyleigh has always been a wild child. A past filled with neglect, sexual addiction, alcohol/drug abuse, and a minimized sense of self worth haunts he...