A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters

1.9K 53 56
By _Sibylline_

Okay, so I didn't post that week because I was encountering both school and home problems. Things cooled down, don't worry. So, as an apology for missing last week...

It gets a little hot in this chapter.

Now, I'm no smut writer, but I have no problem writing makeout scenes and letting things get hot.

I also am planning on posting a Oneshot on April 29th, sooooooo... yeah! I hope you enjoy ch 19! After I publish this I think I'm going to play some Stardew Valley :)

They were right there, the man cradling the boy while the woman investigated me. Me, she investigated me! She was so close to freeing me- No! She was going to chain me down, just like mother and father did, that is why I left, why I sought a solution.

Oh, gods above, why did I pick this solution?!

I slithered into a dark alleyway, my massive clawed fingers shaking with both fear and adrenaline, this wicked thing in me laughing between my panting breaths.

The scent of Inalia was on those two. The woman who was so close to finding me, she was beautiful, I must say! If I had any of my former beauty, I might have had my hand at seducing her, enjoy her in my bed for a while. But she didn't seem like one who could be tempted, because she was a stone soldier, she walked like one and her eyes shone like one.

The shining brown eyes of a sword maiden, a creature of stealth just as I!

But she got to keep her beauty, why couldn't I keep mine?! We both are creatures of death!

My bloodied fingers ran through my hair, running through the thick coils of what was once beautiful locks, hisses of snakes running in my ears. Real or fake, were these hisses of snakes? I can't tell anymore, real or fake, real or fake, real or fake...

I wanted to stop, I would rather die and accept my defeat at the hands of my mother and father then go through this. To rip people apart by this beast filling my head and veins.

The beast controlled me, and something controlled the beast. Because something told it to write that eye on the wall through me, whispering particular words into its ear while it controlled my hand.

My cornflower blue eyes were the only thing left of me, and it too was beginning to take them over. Turning them into a brilliant viper green mixed with cold stone gray.

My eyes watered as I stared down at my deformed yet also remade body. That woman's blood stained my ratted clothes, by coiled hair, this beast inside me even smeared it on my forked tongue. Kartek, I think her name was. That woman's screams as she begged me she didn't know where the papers went, that she just needed a bit more time... they still rung in my ears.

The hisses started again, and the beast could understand their forked tongues as it started forward. Toward a new part of Egypitnat, even in broad daylight. I wondered if my partner was having as much luck as I, but I doubt it.

Another victim, another slaughter.

I didn't even bother to fight back

Ruy stalked through the palm trees, grumpy with the small information he was gathering. Or rather, the little information that the governor had.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! SHE IS GOING TO BE THERE!?" The Governor screeched to his gathered men.

"Y-Yes, sir, it seems like Amalia Morretti has been spotted in Egypitnat." One of his shaking soldiers stuttered. The governor ran his hands down his face, Ruy glaring to get a closer look at him. Something between him and Soph went down about two years ago, and no one really knows what happened.

His light brown skin gleaned in the sun, his curly hair neatly trimmed and somehow frizz-free, even though he lives in the humid Cariana climate.

He didn't seem to know much and didn't seem to be plotting. Ruy has been watching him all night and has learned that the man is attending just like any other leader. Ruy glanced at the sun.

It was maybe 10 am, he should start heading back.

He stretched himself out, chuckling as the Governor nervously mumbled about Sophie.

Only Sophie could get under someone's skin like that.

"See you at the conference, bud," Ruy whispered, before running back to the base.

Ruy landed in the Egypitnat base, hopping through the hole in the ceiling. He knew he was the last one to arrive, as everyone's voices were murmuring over one another. Ruy knocked on the door, and Akil was the one to answer. Shaved head and face, stern and terrifying, he only grunted and motioned for Ruy to enter. Everyone had different plans and sketches on the table, discussing with one another. At the sound of him entering, everyone turned to him. Sophie gave him a small smile, thanking him for coming back safe.

"Well, well, well... somebody likes to make late entrances." Alexios mocked, patting Ruy on the back. Ruy shook the sand out of his hair.

"Sorry, it took me a while to get some information," Ruy argued.

"Please tell me you have something good," Alvar begged.

Ruy stared at him, "Do you not?"

Sophie crossed her arms, "The Council knows about the meeting."

Ruy tensed.

"I know, we all had the same reaction." Maha chuckled, twirling one of her braids in between her fingers. Alvar explained how their traitor had given the Council information and how the Council is getting in contact with Arsinoe.

"I told Fitz about it, told him to tell the crew over there." Alvar glanced at Sophie, "He told us to stay focused." He awkwardly coughed.

Ruy cocked an eyebrow.

"Well, good to know they are still safe over there."

"What should we do?" Maha asked.

Sophie crossed her arms, her eyebrows pressed in concentration. Ruy smiled a little bit at it, remembering how he kissed the spot between her eyebrows when she visited him in his apartment a few days prior.

"We are too strained with the Council, we make any moves to resist them, and it could be seen as hostile. We are just going to have to hope that Arsinoe makes the right decision when it comes to inviting them."

"Great." Alexios hissed.

Sophie pinched her nose, "Please tell me you all have better news."

"The Chieftan of Wampanoag is a peaceful neutral party in all of this," Mansi explained.

"The King of Avrima was hard to get eyes on, but he has no plots that I could have seen," Maha answered.

"Even though we are not on the best of terms with Avrima and Cariana, they aren't planning anything. Wampanoag is a neutral party, and Egypitnat and Chiranu are actually our allies. Not the best, but it will work."

"We heard that you and Alexios are working on murder cases, especially that one happened this morning. What the hell happened?" Mansi asked.

Sophie and Alexios glanced at each other before giving everyone the lowdown. They explained the different victims, witnesses, damage, all of the details they would need.

When Ruy heard that the Neverseen eye was present at the current crime scene, he nearly puked.

"So, wait, wait, wait." Nour pinched the bridge of his nose, "This murderer is a part of the Neverseen? How did they get inside Egypitnat? All of the Vatarian cities locations are private-"

"We thought of that too." Sophie cut him off.

"And so, that means we have narrowed down our suspects." Alexios started.

"They have to be Vatarian," Alvar answered for them.

Sophie and Alexios nodded.

"They are either loyal to the Neverseen or being threatened by them. The thing is, the way they kill... it isn't making sense. The wounds are all made by claws, and there is an inky black residue left behind in the wounds that seeps into the blood system and infects the victim, even as they are bleeding out. The poison clogs their arteries and turning their muscle tissue thick, so thick it is like they're stone. When Egypitnat officials came onto the scene this morning, they had a coroner observe the body." Alexios explained.

"That sounds like a Mirthless attack-"

"That is what has been bothering us. No Vatarian hands could have done this, even someone who had access to their Pancras form."

"It sounds like it could be an animal." Mansi decided, crossing her arms

"But why would a wild animal leave behind the mark of the Neverseen? And if it were a violent animal, it wouldn't wait so long between its kills, it would ramage in one massive area, not going from target to target." Ruy argued back.

"Just in case, I want to join you in this case. We all know I'm the best *Woodslore and *Beastmaster we have. It runs in my blood."

"It does?" Alvar asked in loving surprise. Mansi smirked as she casually glanced at her fiance.

"The Vatarians from Wampanoag are the most in tune with nature and creatures than the other Vatarians, closely followed by the Inalians. But we all know the Natives from Wampanoag are the best Vatarians soooo." Mansi bragged.

"Really?" Ruy glanced at Sophie, a gentle smile on her cheeks as she stared at Mansi's bragging, "You two, the full-blooded Inalians, are just going to let her say that?" Ruy chuckled.

Alexios shrugged," Well, she is not wrong on the woodslore and beastmaster bits, but I think we all agree Inalia is the best city."

Nour held up his hand, a quiet yet sharp point to his tone, "Yet here we all stand in Egypitnat. I am not one for your petty squabbles-"

"Please, Egypitnat is the best? All you guys have is, like, sand and a few oases here and there. But Wampanoag, we have the thick forests, great lakes, best food-"

"Best food my ass. You have been eating my mother's food since you all escaped that shit show of a slave trader deal, and yet you say Wampanoag has the best food?! Inalia has pastries, seasoned meats and poultry, the best wine! I could go on!"

"Alexios is right, Inalia's wine is to die for-"

"Amalia, you can not be serious. Egypitnat's wine-"

"Trust me, Nour, I'm a pro when it comes to good wine. And Egypitnat doesn't have shit on Inalia."

Ruy noticed that Maha wasn't defending her Vatarian city as everyone started to bicker, Alvar just pinching the bridge of his nose. In fact, she looked aside, rubbing the center of her palms that were covered in hand wraps. Now that Ruy thinks of it, he has never seen Maha's bare hands. They were always wrapped in cloth, bandages, or gloves.

"Can we please deal with the childish squabbles later?" Alvar asked. They all grumbled but settled down.

"I am going to leave at noon to request that the Dunmer Royal family is present at the conference. Whether that means I show up at the conference as either Prince Ruy of the Dunmer Kingdom, or High Ranking Assassin of the Inner circle depends on what King Dorian wants. But, these killings, they are happening way too close to this conference, and if people learn about them-"

"I also have bad news on that, as well." Alvar sighed.

Sophie looked ready to scream, "What now?"

"On my way over, I heard the Egypitnat people talking. It seems like the hot new thing now, all of the Vatarian leaders gathering for the conference. It's like a celebrity get together for them. Don't ask me how they found out, I don't know." Alvar explained. Everyone broke out into arguments, and Sophie looked like she was ready to snap everyone's necks.

Sophie put her head in her hands, groaning. How could this have all gotten leaked, everyone was so careful with it!

"Okay, okay! Here is what we are going to do!" Sophie snapped over the arguing Inner Circle, "Ruy, you get to the Dunmer as fast as possible and convince them to get out of their little hole and get their asses out here. Maha and Nour, I want you to continue our surveillance of all of the Vatarian leaders. Alvar, you are going to be my representative for Queen Arsinoe. You go up there and tell her I demand to know what she is planning to do with the council and her people who think this is some damn celebrity party. Meanwhile, Mansi, Alexios, and I will find this murder and root out any Neverseen presence. Am I clear?"

The Inner Circle nodded.

"What should I tell the Hidden Ones, Mentore?" Akil asked.

"Tell them to keep surveillance of the streets, any suspicious behavior is to be reported to both the Egypitnat authorities and one of the Inner circle. Also, tell them to gauge what the civilians know about this conference." Sophie answered, her voice militant and concise.

"Should we look into Inalia possibly being aware of the conference as well, since the Egypitnat civilians know about it? I can stop by Inalia real quick to check it out." Ruy reasoned.

"As long as you make it quick." Sophie agreed.

"Done," Ruy answered. Everyone started to file out, Ruy out of the room first, Sophie following Mansi and Alexios as Alexios gave her an in-depth recount of the morning's events. Sophie was behind everyone, just wishing she could enjoy her time in Egypitnat in peace. Sophie was walking pretty slow, everyone already displayed out of the hallway, leaving Sophie to her thoughts. 

Until Sophie was quickly pulled behind a curtain.

Sophie cursed until the smell of fresh rain and pine trees graced her nostrils, Ruy pressing his hand against her mouth. Ruy's azure eyes glared outside the crack of the purple curtain as he watched everyone go about their assigned jobs, before removing his hand from Sophie's mouth.

The space was tight, an open alcove where the booze and juices were stored covered by curtains and sheets. There was a long window letting light in, and the high ceiling made it feel a little more spacious than it really was. With both Ruy's wings', their tall muscled bodies, and the little space to begin with, they were pressed right against each other.

"Can I help you, Princeling?" Sophie whispered, a slight smile pulling at her lips.

"I just... wanted to say goodbye. You are going to have your role to play at the Conference, and I don't know what mine is going to be. I just wanted to say bye before I had to play... whatever I need to be." Ruy whispered back.

Sophie smirked.

"I also wanted to thank you for letting me borrow your dragon." Ruy chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Your welcome," Sophie looked up at him, "If that is all, then I guess I should be going."

Ruy's face pouted for a second, but his eyes flashed with playfulness. "You are going to make me do all of the work here, huh Blondie?" He whispered. Sophie was about to give him a smart ass response, but he took her face in his hands, his calloused fingers gently grazing against her soft skin, and melted his lips against hers.

Sophie laughed against his lips before wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him closer, opening her mouth in the kiss. She felt their teeth graze, and Ruy groaned, his lips departing from her mouth to her jaw, his hands sliding to her hips and making lazy circles with his thumbs. 

Sophie leaned her head back as his mouth kissed her neck, his hands tightening at her waist and pushing her gently against the wall of the alcove. Sophie ran her hand through his hair, biting on her lip, while her other hand graced the wing behind him. He shuddered at the contact of her hand, his hands moving up the sides of her stomach as if memorizing her curves, as if savoring the feel of the strip of skin showing between her garments.

"This is a really nice goodbye." Sophie exhaled in a breathy whisper, her hand in his hair, gripping as he nipped her ear. He gently laughed against her neck, a joyous, incredible sound that made Sophie smile.

"Gods above, Soph, I love you." He muttered as he peppered her jaw, neck, and ear with kisses.

His teeth scraped against the hollow of Sophie's neck in a lazy caress, "Could you imagine if my mother could see me now? I think she would actually cry for once. Or maybe swear vengeance against you."

Sophie didn't think about it much, but where she was going with Ruy... Vespera would be her mother-in-law. Proper revenge against the witch, tearing down the Neverseen was great and all. But falling in love with her son, and him with her, seemed like the cherry on the perfect cake.

"I think she would accuse me of warping your mind, even. Saying you could never fall in love with a dirty Morretti like me." Sophie smiled. Ruy finally looked up from her neck, Sophie swiping aside the strands of black hair falling in front of his handsome face. His hand went to her cheek, the other still resting on her hip, and his smoldering eyes were so bright it was like it was his birthday.

"Well, I think instead, I managed to seduce the legendary Amalia Hera Morretti with my charms and amazing good looks, and decided the gorgeous warrior woman was a better bet to stay with than the crazy witch of a mother." He explained, his nose crinkling. Sophie bit back her laugh, knowing they both had to be quiet.

"Would you like that title? To roar from the rooftops that you got the stone-hearted Amalia Morretti to fall in love with you?" Sophie quietly joked. Ruy's lips met her temple, melting against her sun-kissed skin, as if his lips could touch the telepathy within her mind.

"I would like nothing more."

"Well, you are welcome to, except you are going to have to deal with my brother, who would rip you apart. Not to mention, I hear there are plenty of women out there that are apart of your fan club. How would they react if you got snatched by some nobody friend of yours?" Sophie joked. Ruy kissed her other temple, his warm, tanned skin glowing in the beam of light coming from the window.

"None of those girls are you. Besides, none of them have the same amount of adorably annoying snark that you do." He breathed.

Sophie could stay wrapped up with him forever, enjoying the smell of him, the taste of him, but-

"Lia?! Where the hell did you run off to?" Alexios called out. Ruy tensed, knowing damn well Alexios rip open that curtain and find them wrapped up in each other and probably have a heart attack. She lifted on her toes, her lips barely grazing Ruy's.

"Till we meet again, your highness." Sophie sighed onto his swollen lips. Sophie pulled back the curtain just enough for her to slip out unnoticed and found Mansi and Alexios waiting for her in the center room.

"What the hell were you doing in there?" Alexios barked.

"Putting away some of my leftover juice from breakfast. Back there is where they hold all of the drinks and stuff." Sophie lied. They didn't think that much of it, as they were holding a file between them.

"What's that?" Sophie asked, running her fingers over her swollen lips in an effort to reduce the puffiness. She heard the rustle of the curtain as Ruy slipped out of it too; she felt his burning eyes staring at her from behind, even as he walked towards the Temple of Mara where Ricin was waiting for him.

"Another report, a new attack. Was handed to one of our Assassins who handed it to Alexios." Mansi breathed.

Sophie paled.

"WHAT?!" Sophie screeched.

"It happened a few streets over where Kartek was murdered. About an hour after we left the scene to report back here."

Sophei was still queit.

"Though, since authorities were crawling everywhere, they apprehended a few suspects, and," Alexios held open the folder to show the picture of the girl, his finger tapping on one of the papers.

Victim: Thavma Firenze

Status: Alive.

That name sounded so familiar.

"She survived, and that is a-" Sophie breathed.

"An Inalian name, yeah. The attacker is getting sloppy and desperate, attacking twice in one day, close together, and in broad daylight. So, we have Kartek's son, who is with his uncle and has calmed down, who is a witness. Not only that, but we have Thavma, who is a survivor of one of the first-hand attacks."

"This could be monumental! Where is Thavma now?" Sophie asked. Mansi smirked.

"Thavma and Kartek's son, along with the suspects, are at the barracks of the Emerald district now, waiting for us. Thelma doesn't want to speak to anyone, calling them strangers. Maybe if she had some friendly faces from home, she might be a bit looser tongued." Mansi explained.

Sophie crossed her arms.

"Well? Let's go!" Sophie exclaimed, running out of the room.

The sky turned cloudy, no longer the vibrant sunny day from the morning. She, her brother, and Mansi were approaching the barracks, and by the gods they sure didn't look like them. The Emerald district was where almost all of the military is stationed so the barracks was actually a massive sandstone structure, so tall it looked like it touched the sky. On top of it were large colems, and two hand carved Egypitnat soldiers. A lion stood at the very top protecting it all. Sophie, Mansi, and Alexios all jogged up the steps into the barracks of the Emerald district. They were directed and guided towards the recovery center, where Kartek's son and Thavma were recovering. They gathered their composure and walked through the door non chalantly and casually.

Kartek's son was sipping on some fig juice in a high chair next to his uncle, who was patting his back and making a one-way conversation with the woman in the cot. Various soldiers and Egypitnat authorities were scattered around, taking reports and whispering to each other.

"Thavma?" Sophie asked, her Inalian accent saying the name correctly, unlike the Egypitnat doctors around her. The woman in the cot turned to her, and Sophie fought back her urge to cringe.

Her hair was snow-white blond, rare for Inalia. It matched her pale skin and bright cornflower blue eyes. Her blond hair was splattered with blood, ripped hair pulled out of her skull. Her face was battered, luckily no scratches on her neck and head. But her abdomen and arms looked like a cat's scratching post. She was mostly bandaged, but her eyes were shadowed more than anything. It was hard to tell, but she looked to be around Sophie's age.

"A-Amalia Morretti?" Thavma stuttered.

Oh gods, Thavma Firenze, seeing her face to match to the name made it all click in Sophie's head.

The Noble House of Firenze in Inalia.

Sophie bowed her head slightly, smiling at the gaping woman.

"These are my companions Mansi Shenandoah and Alexios Morretti. We are here to help figure out these murders." Sophie explained kindly.

Thavma opened her mouth like she wanted to say something, but instead just closed it and looked down at her sheets.

"Go talk to Kartek's son and the uncle, Alexios. You were the one protecting the kid when we got into the house, he is most likely to talk to you. Mansi, go get the official reports from the guards and look through the photos, see if you can identify any of the animal scratches." Sophie swallowed, "I'm going to talk to Thavma."

Alexios and Mansi nodded, separating off as Sophie gently sat down on the edge of Thavma's bed.

"Thavma, it's a beautiful name." Sophie started. Thavma looked up from her sheets, her still not talking.

"It stands for Miracle, you know? In ancient times when the Inalian Kingdom was still being built, the Spartan warrior saved a fisherman's daughter. As a reward, he was allowed to name the girl. He named her Thavma, as it was a miracle she lived." Sophie leaned forward, "But I am sure you already knew that. You know our people's stories as well as I." Sophie smiled. Thavma's shouldered loosened, but still did not speak.

"My name means Hard-working Heroine, you know. Amalia, for hard-working, and Hera, for heroine. Amalia came from a children's fable of a little girl who traded a pack of beans all the way up to a telescope so she could look at the stars, only through her hard work did she achieve that. Hera is the name of the virgin Amazonian queen that is rumored to be living with her tribes in the jungles along our beaches, the heroine to many young girls." Sophie explained, remembering the story her father told her when she asked behind her name. Thavma's eyes shone with something, though Sophie couldn't quite place it. But she was calmer than before, sightly relaxed to be around someone who was at least partially familiar.

Sophie bit her lip, gently placed a hand on Thavma's foot.

"Lady Firenze, what happened? Why are you here?" Sophie asked. Thavma blinked, her hands tightly wrung in her lap, and she stared out the window.

"Herate, derived from the Inalian word hekas, which means far away. Herate is the name that was given to my sister. It suits her, she is always skipping around and day-dreaming. Never down to earth, never listening. Quite the opposite of me." Thavma whispered. Her voice was hoarse, as if she had been screaming.

"Thavma, meaning Miracle. A miracle that came into my parent's arms, a miracle that I could focus on all of my noble duties, a miracle I could do what I was told." Thavma continued. Sophie was quiet through it, still gently soothing her fellow Inalian.

"And ..." Thavma's lip quivered, and her far away blank eyes spilled empty tears. Thavma leaned her head back against the pillows propping her up, her mouth opening and closing as she troubled to speak another name.

"Thavma?" Sophie asked.

"Sai, why must you punish me so?" Thavma whispered.

Sai, the Vatarian god of luck and misfortune.

"Thavma?" Sophie repeated. Thavma's hands shook as she ran them down her face, staring at the sandstone ceiling.

"Cynna, oh gods, Cynna, Cynna..." Thavma wept. Sophie heard of Cynna. Cynna was the firstborn child of the Firenze house, out of three sisters. She died about a year ago in a swimming accident near the docks. There was speculation on whether the death was foul play or not.

"Was Cynna one of the victims of these murders? Is that why you are here? To bring the murderer to justice?" Sophie proposed. Thavma violently shook her head, repeating her sister's name.

"Cynna, Cynna, Cynna, Cynna!" Thavma wailed, her fingernails scratching at her face as she dragged them down. Sophie jumped up, grabbing away her hands from her face, holding them at her sides.

"Breathe for me, Thavma, can you do that? Anapnéfste kai estiáste se me." Breathe and Focus on me, Sophie whispered. Thavma shook, red streaks blooming on her face from where she dragged her nails.

"Eímaste móno emeís, dýo Indoí me asfáleia mazí. Eísai asfalís mazí mou." It is just us, two Inalians safely together. You are safe with me, Sophie whispered. Thavma's hand limped in Sophie's grasps, and through hiccuped sobs, Thavma whispered her body shaking and her eyes wild.

"Cynna means strong as stone, forged by fire. The woman of stern faces and brutal fire, the oldest of three. Always burning, always ravaging the world. But empathy lay hidden in her bones. And because of that, she was destroyed." Thavma whispered.

Herate, the youngest, Thavma, the middle, and Cynna, the oldest. The three Firenze sisters.

"Thavma, why are you here?" Sophie whispered, gently placing Thavma's hands back in her lap and rubbing soothing circles on Thavma's calloused palm with her thumbs.

"I thought I could bring her home," Thavma hiccuped.

"Bring who home-"

"But she wouldn't have wanted to come home, she would have a dagger to the heart then be dragged back," Thavma muttered.

"Thavma, please look at me," Sophie said soothingly. Thavma's broken cornflower blue eyes looked on Sophie's golden brown ones.

"What happened? Who did you want to bring home?" Sophie asked.

Thavma bit her lip, looking away.

Gods, this wasn't getting anywhere.

"We have a small group of suspects contained, maybe you would like to see them? Point out-"

"Your murderer isn't in your suspects." Thavma spat, tears spilling over her eyes once more.

"Then who is it, Thavma?" Sophie whispered. Thavma closed her eyes, her delicate lashes wet with tears, and she leaned forward, her hands tightening around Sophie's hands.

"The murderer is Lady Cynaa of House Firenze," Thavma whispered the last word with a broken voice.

Sophie squeezed Thavma's hand a bit to tight, the name rattling around her ears.

Thavma raised a hand to her mouth, "I thought I could bring her home, I thought-" She loudly sobbed, throwing aside Sophie's hands.

"I thought she would be whole! I thought he would have saved her!" Thavma's eyes turned wild.

"It isn't her fault! It isn't her fault, Assassin, you have to believe me!" Thavma pulled against her covers, screaming and crying. Sophie jumped up as Thavma lunged for her, gripping her by her shoulders. Doctors came rushing forward, trying to push Thavma back into her bed. Sophie managed to pry off Thavma's boney hands and scramble back as doctors tried to calm her.

"Quick, the vile of herbs on my desk!" The main doctor yelled over Thavma's screams. Mansi spotted them first, snatching the bottle off the wooden desk and pulling out the cork. The herbs looked like dried red lettuce and smelled like cinnamon and sandalwood. Mansi quickly handed the head doctor the herbs and watched as the head doctor pressed the jar underneath Thavma's nose. Thavma squirmed in their grasp, and as her body slowly began to slip into unconscious, she met all of their eyes.

"Please, save her. He couldn't do it, and now no one will." Thavma begged, her words slurred as her tongue went numb like the rest of her body, and her eyes rolled to the back of her head. The head doctor let out a breath, tucking one of her white strands of hair behind her ear.

Sophie panted as she grappled Mansi's shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Mansi asked.

"Yeah, yeah..." Sophie confirmed.

Alexios ran his hands through his hair, "Did I hear that right? Cynna Firenze is the killer?"

Sophie didn't answer, mostly only focusing on calming her frantic heart. Luckily, Mansi said it for her.

"The problem is, Cynna Firenze is dead," Mansi whispered.

Sophie propped her hands on her knees and blew out a breath.

Unfortunately, knowing the killer's identity only made things a whole lot harder.

Biana skipped down the length of the Silver towers, relieved she finally got the last of her homework done. After all of the Foxfire attacks in recent years, students in the silver towers were welcome to live and visit wherever they wish. Linh, Tam, and Dex were all waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs, also in their Silver level foxfire uniforms.

"Hey guys, ready to go to Everglen? I think I'm ready for a mean game of Base Quest!" Biana asked all of them.

"Heck yeah, I'm still waiting to take you down, Vacker!" Dex laughed. He seems much more cheerful since his falling out with Sophie. Even though they never officially apologized to each other, Dex seems much more relaxed around the whole Vatarians thing. Biana had a feeling it had something to do with the trip Alexios took him on when they were hiding out in Inalia.

"I never win at Base Quest, though!" Linh complained, already imagining her tired feet.

"That is because you become a screaming banshee whenever anyone spots you," Tam argued.

"Hey, I can be stealthy!" Linh's silver-tipped bob swaying with her head as she stared at her brother. The Song twins continued their bickering and didn't notice Jensi and Marella pop up behind them.

"Hey! Have you guys seen this?!" Jensi asked, waving around a pamphlet.

"Seen what?" Dex asked, staring at the pamphlet in Jensi's hands. Marrella quickly grabbed another pamphlet from her bag and handed it to Dex.

"Woah," Dex breathed.

"They were put in all of our lockers! We have no idea why, but aren't they amazing?!" Marrella chirped. The Song twins looked it over and finally handed it to Biana.

Biana gasped as her teal eyes took it in.

It was the small back patio behind the Cyevan Guildhall, the same set up when Biana and Keefe shared breakfast with the Inner Circle. The pamphlet perfectly depicted how the bright sun lit up the various cakes and food, the bright beams reflecting off their various drinks. The sun hit Mansi just right, lighting up her dark brown hair, and the little feathers woven within it, look like gentle embers of Mansi's fire. Biana was also painted in her seat right next to Mansi, the beautiful dress pulling at her curves this way and that. The jewel on Mansi's hand glittered as she rested it on Alvar's hand, who was laughing with Alexios.

 A handsome raven-haired man sat next to Sophie, his wings drooping behind him and one somewhat tucked behind Sophie. Sophie looked over the table with a warm smile, her hand propped on her chin as she whispered something to Ruy, who chuckled at it. Nour and Maha were chatting with Keefe, who waved his hands in the air as if he were drawing the story in front of them, a bright smile on his face. Lilac could be seen playing tag in the background with another Vatarian and an orc boy and lith little girl. It wasn't painted with such vivid detail that you could see every little thing, but you also could. It was like a feeling you could feel through the page. It was like the same memory Biana held so dear was brought to life.

"Wha..." Biana breathed.

"Look at the back!" Jensi smiled, tapping on the back of the pamphlet. Biana turned it over, and her heart stopped.

An empty arrowhead, inked in vibrant gold. Below it read a paragraph in the exact same golden ink.

"We, this people, on a small and lonely planet

Traveling through casual space

Past aloof stars, across the way of indifferent suns

To a destination where all signs tell us

It is possible and imperative that we learn

A brave and startling truth"

The small paragraph moved Biana, and she looked up to see her friend's faces just as stunned and amazed. But there was also panic. Was this the Assassin's work? Why would they do this, they know they need to keep on the down-low right now!

"It's so beautiful, this scene. It is that Inner Circle, the ones Sophie were with, and a few others it seems. Could this be Inalia? It isn't some dark terrifying place like the Council told us." Marella wondered. All around them, almost all of the kids held the same pamphlet, gushing and theorizing about it with their friends.

"The Council is freaking out about them, guys! They showed up in lockers, mailboxes, window sills, slipped under doors, everywhere! The Council is confiscating them, I think they are worried the Vatarians are showing up their security, flaunting they can break into the Lost Cities!" Jensi babbled.

The Assassins had no trouble getting past Elven security, Biana knew that much, but she knew that it wasn't Assassin hands who made this. This art style he kept so secret, the exactness of the memory only Biana and Keefe could possess...

This is Keefe's work.

So we know who the killer is! But what happened to Cynaa Firenze I wonder? Thank you again for being patient with me through this rough time and I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Please remember to vote, comment, share and follow!

_Sibylline_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.6K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
31.4K 1.6K 41
After the loss and demise of their family business, Seo Y/N's family was confronted with financial difficulties. Her family was unable to pay for the...
5.9K 66 7
A young woman slowly falls in love with General Grievous. (A Star Wars Fan Fiction) Contains adult content / sexual content. Also may contain grammar...
58.7K 705 41
Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those inevitable feelings, drove Sophie away fro...