Queen Regnant ( Ace of Queens...

By marcyswales17

The third book after to Rye and Xavier's story....Please read the first two books or you will be lost :P Mav... More

Prologue
Ch. 1 Father's Mistakes
Ch. 2 Up in the air
Ch. 3 Crush
Ch.4 Dress to impress
CH.5 Ra-da-co-vick
Ch.6 Oh Brother
Ch.7 Badges
Ch.8 Rumors
Ch.9 Czara the space witch
Ch.10 Libelle
Ch.11 What am I?
CH.12 Dreams
Ch.13 Standing ovation
CH.14 Someone Else
Ch.15 Travelers
Ch.16 Not the same thing
Ch.17 Over her heart
Ch.18 The game
Ch.19 Checkmate
Ch.20 Aftermath
Ch.21 Dancing with Ghosts
Ch.22 The Princess
Ch.23 Juniper's Baker's Best
Ch.24 Bad Habit
Ch.25 Every Word
Ch.26 Put a spell on me
Ch.27 Eggs
Ch.28 Ms.Dorin
Ch.29 Spilled Tea
CH.30 Games
Ch.31 Frozen
Ch.32 Test Him
CH.33 Father of the Bride
CH.34 Little Boys
CH.35 I have nothing
Chapter 36 Sweet dreams
CH.37 Twice the fun
CH.38 Mirror Mirror
CH.39 Mary Sue
CH.40 Apologies
CH.41 Family
CH.42 Burn it all
CH.43 Lillies
CH.44 Let her come
CH.45 All dressed in White
CH.46 Letters.
47. No words needed
CH.48 Leave your mark
CH. 49 A gift
CH.50 Maksim
CH.51 Hope
CH.52 Let it rain
CH.53 Keep talking
CH.54 Cupcakes
CH.55 Owen
CH.56 Only about you
CH.57 Restless nights
CH.58 Dirty Martini
CH.60 Hello, trouble
CH.61 Confession of a lover
CH.62 Deal with the Devil
CH.63 Itty Bitty Jars
CH.64 Basil Hunts
CH.65 Time Stands Still

CH.59 Crown

16.8K 1K 467
By marcyswales17

Chapter 59

"What do you want, Heyder?" The woman, Sofia, asked as her cat eyes lingered on the man's handsome face.

"Sofia?" Mavi looked at Heyder. "I thought you said she was dead."

Sofia threw her head back and laughed.

"I said her name was Sofia," Heyder turned to the princess. "That doesn't imply she was dead. She simply just changed her name."

"Yes," Sofia dabbed the tears at the corner of her eyes with a napkin as she tried to contain her laughter. "I go by Madam Ophelia now.....but you can still call me Sofia." 

"Words have magic, princess," Heyder's eyes danced over Mavi's eyes before Owen took her hand and pulled her back. Mavi snapped out of her daze and looked at the woman laughing.

"I need your help," Heyder said, turning to look at Sofia.

"You're the last thing on this earth I want to help."

"I brought the lucan queen."

"The lycan princess." Sofia corrected him.

"Please," Mavi spoke up. "I really need your help.....I need some elf blood."

Sofia pursed her lips and tapped her long nail against her arm, "How will you pay?"

"How much do you want?" Mavi asked. "Money is not an option."

"I don't want money," Sofia laughed again.

"What do you want then?"

Mavi watched Sofia as the woman's blue eyes landed on Owen.

"Well, hello," Sofia purred.

"Hello." Owen said simply.

"Why don't you have a drink?" Sofia looked offended. She snapped her finger and one of the waiters came rushing up to her. "They are my guests, why are they empty handed?"

"I don't drink," Owen kept his cool composure as Sofia battled her lashes at him.

"We were discussing payment," Mavi said, irritation flickering in her voice.

Sofia tore her gaze away from Owen and looked at the princess with a sigh. "Elf blood isn't a jar of milk....it's very rare and expensive."

"Yes, we are aware." Mavi fought the urge to roll her eyes.

"I have just one vial left."

"How much do you want for it?"

Sofia's lips twitched as she thought about what she should ask for. Heyder took a seat at one of the bar stools and handed Adam his drink.

"There's not enough olives in this," Adam said under his breath as everyone around him stared at Sofia waiting for her to name her price.

"I heard the queen of the witches is your sister in law," Sofia said after a while.

"Yes," Mavi held her breath in anticipation.

"I would like her to perform a spell for me,"

"Oh here we go again," Heyder rolled his eyes.

Mavi looked from the woman to the jinn, not understanding what was going on.

"What kind of spell?" Owen asked.

"I need her to remove a claim," Sofia said.

"A claim?" Mavi looked to Adam who was just as confused.

"Sometimes, princess, jinns think it is funny to toy with mortal lives," Sofia's slick eyes stayed on Heyder as she spoke. "They lay claims over people and collect souls."

As Sofia spoke the words she pushed back the long sleeves of her velvet gown and showed Mavi her wrist. Under the dim light, Mavi, Adam and Owen leaned forward as they spotted a triangle, the size of a quarter, upon her golden skin.

"I don't know if Gemma can remove it," Mavi spoke honestly.

"I just need your word that she will wholeheartedly try." Sofia covered her wrist once more.

"That's it?" Adam tilted his head. "That's all you want?"

Mavi kicked him in the shins causing him to spill his martini over the rim of his glass.

"I would also like.......hmmmm.....four million dollars?" Sofia smiled.

"Done," Mavi said. "The money part that is.....I still have to contact Gemma and ask about the spell."

Sofia's smile grew on her face as she looked at Heyder.

"You should have asked for more," Heyder laughed.

"I'll be getting rid of you, that's all I really need," Sofia snickered before she turned to Mavo once more. "Let me know what your sister in law says.....if she agrees, I'll have my men bring out the vial."

"Alright," Mavi nodded as she opened her link to Gemma.

"Great! Enjoy yourselves."

With that Sofia walked away leaving the three of them staring behind her. They watched her float through the crow laughing and mingling with the men as they kissed her hand and whispered in her ears. Mavi eyed Heyder, expecting him to be at least a little jealous. But he stared at her with no emotion on his face. If she had to guess, she would say he almost looked bored.

Once Gemma agreed to try and remove the claim, Mavi linked Xavier about the money. Sofia gave him her account number and smiled like a child when she saw the digits change on her phone.

"My men are retrieving the vial.....it shouldn't take too long. Until then..." Sofia turned to Owen. "Would you like to dance?"

"No, thank you," Owen denied politely. "I don't dance."

Sofia's lips twitches as she eyes Owen, "It would be so clumsy of my men to drop such an important vial."

Mavi's hands balled into fists as she stared at the woman. Sofia held Owen's gaze as she waited for them all to make a decision. When it was evident that she wouldn't take no as an answer, Owen took a deep breath and turned to Mavi.

Mavi wanted to stomp her feet and pull at his tux when Owen placed a kiss upon her forehead before turning to face the wicked woman.

"Would you like to dance?" Owen asked Sofia.

"I thought you would never ask," Sofia smiled as she hooked her arm around Owen's and walked over to the dance floor. 

As Mavi watched, the band began to play something slow. Sofia placed her hands on Owen's shoulders as she lowered her head against his chest. A hot burning sensation ignited in Mavi's chest as she watched them sway to the music.

Owen's eyes remained on Mavi the entire time as he danced with Sofia, but Mavi still couldn't put out the fire in her heart.

I love you, Owen linked her.

I love you more, Mavi tried to link back but was blocked off. She tried again and again only to find Owen's link close. Across the room, Owen raised a silent brow at her as if to ask what was wrong.

Mavi huffed in anger as she turned to the jinn next to her.

"Cut it out." She demanded.

Heyder picked up his whisky class and took a sip of the amber liquid. The corner of his mouth twitched as Mavi's eyes bounced from his to Owen.

"Heyder." Mavi said in a warning tone.

"Let him focus on the task at hand," Heyder said without bothering to take his eyes off the rack of liquor behind the bartender.

"No." Mavi took a step closer. "Stop messing with our link."

"Alright," Heyder shrugged. "As you wish."

Mavi, Owen's voice rang out in Mavi's head. She sighed in relief as she turned back to look at her mate.

I'm here.

Sofia had spun them around while dancing so now Mavi couldn't see Owen's eyes at all. She counted the seconds for the song to be over so that she could have her mate back in her arms once again when Heyder lowered his lips to her ear.

"Do you want to know what really goes on in his mind?" He asked in a whisper.

"No," Mavi shook her head as she took a step back and sat down on a stool.

Heyder smiled as he disobeyed her. He watched as Mavi's eyes widened once Owen's thoughts started to pop into her mind.

I can't wait for this to be over. This binding spell better work. The first thing I'm going to do after this shit is over is take Mavi on a vacation. She needs to be stress free after all this madness.

Mavi's lips started to pull back into a smile as she listened to his thoughts. She turned to Heyder as he gave her a nod with his glass in the air.

"Enjoy, princess," Heyder hummed.

God, there is so much left to do at the house. I wonder if Manya contacted the painters yet. Why is this song taking forever? Is Mavi okay?

"Okay, that's enough." Mavi said to Heyder. "Make it stop."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, it's an invasion of privacy. It's not ri-"

She smells really good. What is that? Vanilla?

Mavi froze as Owen's thoughts came rushing into her mind. Her eyes widened and her heart began to beat out of control.

She's very easy on the eyes too. And damn this dress. Did they sew her into it? It fits so well...

"You're right," Heyder finished his drink next to Mavi. "I'll turn it off."

"No, wait." Mavi gripped Heyder's arms as the tips of her fingers started to turn cold.

Okay, maybe this dance isn't so bad. She's talented. Clearly she's a dancer. She has to be.....I bet she has long legs under that dress.

"Princess?" Heyder raised a brow as he placed a hand over her's. "Are you alright? You're pale."

What's the name of this place? Maybe Alec and I can come back.

"Make it stop," Mavi said breathlessly as her nails dug into Heyder's arm.

"Okay, oaky," Heyder jumped off the stool. "Hey, you're okay."

"Mavi?" Adam turned her to face him. "What's wrong?"

"Can I have some water?" Heyder snapped at the bartender. He helped Mavi back onto the stool she had been sitting on and handed her the cold glass of water. "Please, drink."

"What's wrong?" Adam asked again.

"I don't know," Heyder chewed on his bottom lip. "She was fine just a second ago."

The men fanned Mavi and urged her to sip her water as she stared at her mate dancing with Sofia on the dance floor. Mavi suddenly had the urge to throw up everything in her stomach as she felt it turn and twist. Her face began to heat up as her toes froze over. The music became too loud and the laughter in the room seemed to be pointed towards her.

"I...I need the restroom," Mavi pushed off the stool and stood up. Heyder had his arms around her waist, ready to catch her.

"I'll come with you," he said.

"No." Mavi pushed him away. She didn't need him seeing her throw up.

"Mavi," Heyder said sternly.

"I need to go," Mavi said, pushing him away and following the signs on the walls to the bathroom. To her luck there was no line as she ducked into a stall and leaned over the toilet. Her eyes began to water as her body rolled with the waves of her dry heaving.

She couldn't get Owen's thoughts out of her mind. How could he think like that about another woman?

After a while, as her body began to calm down, Mavi straightened up in the stall and flushed the toilet. With shaking knees, she walked over to the sinks and let the cold water run. Bent over the large sink, she rinsed her mouth and splashed the water on her face. Her mascara running was the last thing on her mind.

Just as Mavi stood back up, she spotted Sofia staring at her in the mirror.

"Are you alright?" She asked. "Heyder sent me in here to check on you."

Mavi bit down on her jaw as hard as she could, "I'm fine."

Sofia's eyes softened just a tad bit. It was so insignificant, Mavi wondered if she had imagined it.

"You have a wonderful mate," Sofia said. "He is really something."

Mavi didn't answer her. She glared at the woman through the mirror and wiped her hand on one of the small towels. Once done, she flung the wet towel into the was basket and began to walk out of the room when Sofia stopped her. 

"Mavi," she called out, making the princess stop in her tracks. "Be careful with Heyder."

Mavi turned around and looked at the blue-eyed woman. 

"What do you mean?" She asked.

Sofia sighed as her eyes flickered to the half open door. She quickly pushed it close as she checked the other stalls to make sure they were the only ones in the room.

"Heyder....he may seem charming and alluring, But he's not good." Sofia lowered her voice. "You have a good thing going with your mate....don't let Heyder mess it up. It's all a game to him."

Mavi narrowed her eyes at the woman, "And why should I believe you?"

Sofia paused as if she suddenly realized something, "Maybe because you remind me of myself.....I see the way he's been looking at you tonight.....don't fall for his tricks."

Mavi didn't have the patience to listen to her blabber anymore. She walked back in her heels until she reached the closed door. Sofia watched her as she opened the door and disappeared into the dark room.

As soon as Mavi reached the bar, Owen turned around and pulled her into his arms.

"You okay, baby girl?" he whispered to her.

Mavi wanted to push his hands off of her as she ducked her head and avoided his lips.

"What's wrong?" Owen frowned, the smile vanishing from his face.

"Do we have the blood?" Mavi asked Adam over his shoulder.

"Yes," Adam held up the little vial.

"Then let's get the hell out of this place," Mavi stepped out of Owen's embrace and moved closer to Adam.

Owen stared at her in confusion and concern as Heyder opened the portal. He followed her through the shimmering black hole as they appeared in the foyer of the palace.

"I'll go have Exton put this in the vault," Adam said as he hurried down the halls with the vial of elf blood.

Mavi gave him a nod before she began to storm up the stairs to her room. Owen stayed at her heel, following her as his concern grew.

"Mavi," Owen called out to her. "What's wrong?"

Mavi yanked off the diamond earrings she wore. She moved to her wrist next and began to yank at the bracelets.

"Stop, you'll hurt yourself." Owen rushed forward and took her hand from her. 

"Let go of me," Mavi said as she began to pull her hand back.

"Not until you tell me what's gotten into you," Owen pulled her closer. "I'm sorry I danced with her. I just wanted us to get the blood and get it over with."

Mavi focused on the painting on the wall over Owen's shoulder. She felt the sparks run through her skin as Owen rubbed circles on her wrist. She tried to yank her hands back, but Owen wouldn't let go.

"You know it's only you, right?" Owen said. "You're all I ever think about."

Mavi couldn't help the laughter that escaped her lips. She shut her eyes as her shoulders shook.

"Mavi," Owen put one of his hands into her hair. "Tell me what's wrong. Talk to me."

"Like you talk to me?" Mavi's eyes snapped open.

"What?" Owen browned.

"You never talk to me about anything. I have no idea what's going through your mind. You always push me away." 

"You know I'm trying," Owen said in his defense. "I've never shared my thoughts with anyone.....believe me when I say you know more than anyone else in my life."

"Yeah," Mavi said bitterly as she remembered his thoughts about Sofia. "I know your thoughts."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Do you want some vanilla ice cream, Owen?"

"What?" Owen looked at Mavi as if she had lost her mind.

"You must be craving some vanilla after you worked so hard to contain your enthusiasm with Sofia," Mavi spit out, pushing him away. "How were her legs? Were they long enough for you? Can you picture them wrapped around your waist?"

"What is wrong with you?" Owen demanded as he shook his head.

"I got a glimpse into your head, Owen Radacovick," Mavi glared at him. "I know what you were thinking about her while she was wrapped up in your arms."

"You looked into my head?" Owen tried to control his voice. "Do you not trust me?"

"After what Heyder showed me, I don-"

"Heyder!" Owen growled. "What the fuck, Mavi? You picked through my head with Heyder? You don't trust me, but you trust him?"

"I didn't do it intentionally!" Mavi fired back. "I had all the faith in you.....I told Heyder to close it off when I started to hear all the things you were thinking about her."

Owen's shoulders sank as he stared at Mavi.

"Had?" he asked.

"What?"

"You said 'had' ....I had all the faith in you,"

Mavi closed her mouth not knowing what to say. She stood in front of Owen as both of their breaths came out in rapid beats. She watched as Owen took a step back from her before he turned on his heel.

"Where are you going?" Mavi demanded to know.

"Why don't you go ask Heyder to check my thoughts?" Owen called over his shoulder. He paused for a beat and half turned his face to the princess. "Oh and by the way. She smelled like cigars and whisky, not vanilla."  

Mavi wanted to throw her diamond earrings at him as he walked away leaving her alone in the halls. She hoped he would change his mind and turned around. But when he didn't, Mavi grew angrier and stormed off into her room. She tore off the black gown she wore and slipped on a baggy shirt.

The hands on the clock ran around and around as Mavi laid awake in bed waiting for Owen to come back. When he didn't return, her eyes began to close despite her fight to keep them open.

The last thing she remembered before slipping into a deep slumber was the bed dipping by her side and then sparks flying over her skin.

___________________________

"Thank you, Mardick." Owen said as the old man opened up one of the guest room doors for him.

"Certainly, sir." Mardick nodded. "Is there anything else I may do for you?"

"Yeah," Owen used his thumb to scratch the top of his brow. "Can you please take something up to Mavi's room for her to eat. She didn't finish her dinner before we left."

"Of course." Mardick gave another nod before he turned and walked away.

Owen stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. He pulled the bowtie off and threw it onto the chair before removing his shirt and the rest of his tux. Before going to Mardick to ask for the spare keys to a guest room, Owen had grabbed a change of clothes from his locker in his office. He quickly changed into the sweats and t-shirt before laying down on the bed.

His mind and body was still tense from the altercation he just had with Mavi. He couldn't believe she would look into his head like that. Didn't she trust him?

Just the idea of him wanting anyone beside Mavi was humorous. How could he even think about anyone else when she was the air he needed.

Owen tossed and turned in the empty bed as his heart and mind begged for Mavi. Not being able to control himself, he opened his link to her.

Princess? Owen called out.

Radio silence.

I'm sorry, my love.

Owen waited a second for her to reply before he realized her link was off. She was still mad. He took a deep breath as he prayed she would be in a better mood in the morning.

Restlessly, as the moon moved across the sky like a slow turtle, Owen's eyes closed.

The next morning he woke to the sound of Mavi's laughter. His heart immediately leaped up as he threw the covers back and ran into the halls. Sleeping without her was painful and unbearable. He couldn't wait to hold her in his arms once again and drown in her scent.

As Owen ran into the halls, he heard the sound of Mavi's laughter again. It rang out to him melodiously as he followed it down the stairs and into the garden. His head turned in every direction as his nose searched for her.

Finally as he caught her sweet scent, he began to follow it to the willow by the back of the palace. His eyes immediately landed on Mavi. She looked radiant as ever under the morning sunlight as her hair swayed in the early spring air. On top of her head she wore a flower crown made of baby's breath and yellow daisies, looking like Persephone from the myths.

As Owen approached her, she threw her head back and laughed at something someone was saying. He didn't see anyone near her as she continued to laugh.

Concerned and worried, Owen took longer strides towards her. But just as he neared her, Heyder stepped out from under the willow and pulled Mavi into his arms.

Owen stilled as his wolf began to growl. He watched as Mavi looped her arms around the jinn's neck and tilted her head slightly to the side. She was waiting for him to kiss her. 

Owen wanted to let his wolf rip out of his skin as his eyes witnessed Heyder lower his lips to Mavi.

"Mavi!" Owen growled. But she didn't listen. She dug her hands into the jinn's hair as she pulled herself closer to his body. Heyder wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around until he had her backed up against the willow. 

"No, no no no," Owen chanted as he tried to rush over to his girl and pull Heyder off of her. But every time he moved closer, they seemed to move farther away.

It was an endless and hopeless loop. Owen would just be within an arm's reach of Mavi and then get yanked back and have to start all over again to reach her.

But he didn't quit. He tried and tried to get to her. Over and over until he felt someone shake him awake.

"Dude, what the fuck," Alec laughed as he pushed Owen's shoulder, jolting him awake. "You okay?"

Owen groaned as he desperately searched for Mavi next to him to only realize he was in the guest room.

"You seemed like you were having quite the dream," Alec teased. "Couldn't stop saying Mavi's name."

Owen didn't speak. The dream and the pain was still fresh in his mind. He wanted to be left alone to clear his head before he went in search of Mavi.

Alec took in his brother's sour mood and took a step back. "I just came to tell you mom wanted me to let you know that the painters are starting tomorrow at your house."

"Why didn't she just link me?" Owen rubbed his face trying to push the sleep away.

"We tried," Alec snorted. "Your link has been off for hours."

"What?" Owen looked up in confusion. He didn't shut his link off....he was waiting for Mavi to open hers.

"Whatever, I gotta go," Alec shrugged. "Basil wants you to help out with Gemma and Adam today."

"Okay," Owen nodded as Alec left him sitting on the bed.

_____________________________

Mavi sat on a stool at the table as she flipped through one of the spell books in front of her. Her eyes didn't even scan the words as she turned from page to page. Her mind was preoccupied with Owen.

Why didn't he stay until she woke up? And what was he doing for his scent to smell all off like that?

On mornings when Owen left for work early, Mavi always turned to his side of the bed and inhaled his fresh scent. But this morning, when she turned around....his scent had faded to almost nothing.

"Mavi!" Adam snapped.

"What?" Mavi sat up straight and looked at her friend.

"For the love of god, can you please pass me the green notebook."

"Stop being so dramatic, just say so."

"I did," Adam blinked over the rim of his glasses. "Three times."

"Oh," Mavi frowned. "Sorry."

Adam narrowed his eyes at her before he closed the book he was reading, "Spill your guts."

"It's nothing," Mavi waved him off.

"Do not wound me as if I am some group mate you only speak to for the sake of your project," Adam placed a hand over his heart and shook his head.

"Adam," Mavi rolled his eyes.

"What's bothering you, sweet cheeks?"

"It's O-"

Before Mavi could finish, the doors to the study opened. For a moment, Mavi's heart leaped up expecting it to be Owen but her smile wavered when Heyder walked in.

He was in a cheery mood. His lips were pulled back into a gentle smile as he walked up to Mavi on the stool.

"Good morning, princess." He said looking into her gray eyes.

"Morning," Mavi greeted him.

Heyder rubbed the back of his neck as Mavi saw a flicker of hesitation in his brown eyes.

"What?" She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"It's the first day of spring."

"Is it?" Mavi looked out the window to the garden.

"Happy first day of spring," Heyder said as he held out a flower crown for Mavi.

Adam raised a brow as he watched the interaction. The tips of his ears tingle in a funny way as he watched Heyder's eyes move over Mavi's face.

"May I?" Heyder asked as he held the crown out for Mavi.

"Ah....yeah." Mavi said with uncertainty as Heyder stepped behind her and placed the crown over her head.

"Your hair is stuck to it," Heyder announced a moment later as Mavi felt a tug.

"How did that happen?" Mavi reached back as Heyder began to undo the tangle.

"Here," he said. "Allow me."

Mavi dropped her hand as the jinn began to untangle her hair and arrange the crown on her head.

Just as he was about done, Owen walked through the door with Gemma. Mavi's eyes snapped up to her mate as her heart leaped up.

Owen halted in his steps as his face grew pale and his empty stomach began to turn. He began to tremble as he spied Heyder standing behind Mavi holding her hair as she sat on the stool with a flower crown on her head made of baby's breath and yellow daisies.

My fingers hurt from typing but Heyder wants me to write.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

350K 7.9K 22
When Bella's father invites the neighboring pack to join them for a week, she finds her mate. (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS WAS MY FIRST BOOK AND IT...
87.1K 2.4K 20
Anna is on the run from her abusive father. She runs into her mate Matt and she at first, wants nothing to do with him. She tries to flee from him se...
258K 9.9K 30
BEING EDITED: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK Best Ranking : #10 in mxm Book 3 : Werewolf Jana De Russe Alwar was the most powerful Alpha Warrior in Manovar...
150K 4.5K 22
(Book Two of Four from 'The Royal Series') I would recommend you go and read Book One in order to understand exactly what is happening in Book Two! V...