A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

Von _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... Mehr

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.

2.2K 54 36
Von _Sibylline_

(There is a reference in here! Hope you enjoy)

Alexios and Sophie launched off the beams, silently clinging and maneuvering down the sides of the wall, clinging onto the scaffolding and sculptures, glancing at the two leaders. Both Sophie and Alexios didn't wear their standard armor. Sophie hasn't even looked at the armor and sword she was... given, when Kynareth claimed her. She hasn't touched her grandmother's armor either, she hasn't touched it since she removed the armor before the battle in favor of her white robes.

During this trip, she wore Grecian styled armor, the ones liked the most, and it wasn't exactly meant for Assassin usage. It was just your typical Inalian armor with an Assassin flare. It was a white chiton that was secured with extra fabrics covering the skirt and a dark hood covering her head attached to her leather harness underneath her silver chest plate. Sophie secured her red sash around her shoulders, a Morretti family crest forged onto the clasp, securing it to her shoulders. Her father's gauntlet's glinted alongside the armor, including a few daggers tucked in the slats and folds of the fabric and her bow on her back. She wore traditional open-toed knee-length sandles, silver shinguards secured around them. It was standard Inalian wear, meant from the warlike times of Inalia long ago.

Alexios wore a similar armor piece, a traditional chiton covered with fabric and armor pieces, a dark blood red hood covering his eyes.

Everyone looked around the temple, squinting at the darkness. Arsinoe fiddled with her royal cuff on her arm. Queen Arsinoe's golden tan skin glinted in the moonlight, contrasting her curly pitch black hair that was in a fascinating up do atop her head. Her eyes weren't the traditional style of blue, they had the base of turquoise, but the closer you got to her pupils, they turned a brilliant shade of silvery white-ish blue, piercing through whatever they looked at. Her neck and ears were decorated with heavy jewelry of pure silver, jade, sapphire, gold, ruby- any jewel you imagine set into silver and gold chains and cuffs.

She wore a solid white dress that folded around her bust, folding towards the back and reconvening around her hips with stitches of silver thread, revealing her golden stomach. On her belly, over the plane of her abdomen, was her Royal family crest. It wasn't like the Morretti family crest, obviously. Sophie and Alexios's family crest was one of Inalia, not Egypitnat. Arsinoe's family crest was of three-pointed pyramids, mysterious ancient hieroglyphics; only the royal family knows the meeting behind were inked at the bottom of the triangles in her flesh. A simple line at the tips of the pyramids connected them, and at the top, there was another mysterious hieroglyph. Lines connected with others, creating a geographic masterpiece.

Around her upper arm was a snake cuff of solid silver and gold, a blood-red ruby set into the eyes, and was definitely the most essential part of her closet.

The Cuff of the Royal Family in Egypitnat.

She wore a plain brown cloak over her royal outfit, smartly not wearing her crown. She must have struggled to try to navigate her streets without being recognized as the Queen.

Fang Guanyu was much quieter compared to her, but just as elegant. He wore a black swath of fabric, traditionally folded in front of him with a deep blue rope wrapped around his waist, deep blue and silver embroidering along the edges of the shirt lapels and cuffs. The upper garment was low wrapped, revealing his muscled chest and the various scars decorating it. Beneath his short coat was a pair of dark blue trousers that scrunched at his mid-calf. He wore a pair of thick riding boots, still covered with dried mud. He must have just arrived a few hours before Sophie.

His long hair was neatly tucked in a half updo behind his head, secured by a jade clip. He wasn't pale per se, his skin had a slight tinge of the sun in it, most likely from his travel to Egypitnat. His long and clean-shaven face was quiet, handsome, but stern. Unmovable and always calculating. His family crest is what really terrified Sophie about him, in all honesty. A mighty roaring dragon inked along the entire side of his face in midnight black. At the feathered tip of the dragon's tail, was a Chrinau symbol, but like Arsinoe's symbols, Sophie couldn't recognize them. The natural polygot powers of the Vatarians only applied during verbal language, written language you had to learn the old fashion way.

"Do you think they are here already?" Queen Arsinoe asked Fang Guanyu. Sophie opened her mouth to respond, but Alexios slapped his hand over her mouth, shaking his head. Sophie gave him a perplexed look, but he pointed to the two leaders, at their intertwined hands.

Sophie's jaw dropped, and made a small noise against Alexios's hand that sounded a lot like "Huuaagghhh?!".

Arsinoe and Fang Guanyu whipped their heads to where they were hiding as they clung on the sides of the wall, but they were too high up and the shadows from the pitch-black Egypitnat night hid them too well. Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe glanced at one another, whispering in hushed tones.

"They aren't here yet." Fang Guanyu's guard said, his voice booming. Sophie and Alexios smirked to one another, and Sophie held back laughter as her brother winked at her, and flipped over to one of the massive stone statues, a giant basket in the cold carven hands filled to the brim with golden offerings to the gods. Alexios dramatically draped himself into the basket, placing one of the silver tiaras on his head as he flipped the different metal coins through his fingers, and cleared his throat.

The Guards were the first ones to react, their bowstrings pulled, and weapons ready to throw at the sound while pushing their leaders behind them. The moonlight finally shone wholly through the windows, and Alexios was lit up in the basket in gentle rays of stained light from the windows.

Dramatic as ever.

Alexios had the stupidest smirk ever as everyone gaped at him casually lounged in the god's basket. His hood shadowed his face, only showing his sharp stubbly jaw with the lips that knew exactly what to say and when.

"So, I see you two have finally decided to stop your sidelong glances and distant longing," Alexios said as an introduction, not looking up from the coins flittering in his fingers.

Sophie held back her laughter as all of them gaped up at Alexios, and she shimmied around the walls, tucking herself under an archway into the hallway and waited.

Arsinoe was the first one to gather her composure.

"You do know that basket is one of the many vessels to carry the sacrifices to the gods? The gods might pluck you out of the sacrifices and hold you as one of their mortal captives." Arsinoe spat, adjusting the folds on her gold and white gown.

Alexios finally met their eyes, and his smile turned predatory.

"I don't think the gods will mind my company at all," he said, his voice smooth and deep, making it very clear in which way the gods would enjoy his company.

Sophie rolled her eyes as he said that. His pride knows no bounds.

The guards looked flabbergasted as he said that, amazed and somewhat shocked that he spoke so plainly of the gods.

"I have to admit, I'm curious," Fang Guanyu started, "How did you get into the city? With the meeting about to commence, we have all brought our best guards, it would have been nearly impossible to sneak into the city."

Sophie stepped out of the hallway with that, her elegant footsteps gently echoing through the temple. Her hood was pulled over her face as well, the only thing the guards could peer at were her painted red lips and golden jaw, just as sharp as her brother's, who smirked as she stepped out of the shadows. She swayed her hips, held her shoulders, back, and her hands were casually at her sides, so close to her weapons that in the blink of an eye, she could slip one out and slay anyone she wished.

She didn't, but they knew that she could.

Poised, elegant death. That is what she was to the world, and that was what she was going to portray. It came easily to Sophie, the casual killing stride and persona, it was one of her favorites to play.

Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe watched as she slipped out of the shadows like she was liquid night, their eyes widening as they took her in. She wasn't Amalia, the quiet woman who lives in her family home in Grecia. She wasn't Sophie, the lost moonlark- She was the Assassin Queen, and they better know it, for their own good.

"Oh come now, Guanyu, you weren't underestimating our talents again, were you?" Sophie chuckled, her voice smooth and deadly. Sophie wasn't like her brother, whose honeyed words and handsome face could get them out of any trouble or anybody into his bed. She was quiet, intimidating, allowing people to wonder and fear her. While Alexios was about charisma and seduction, Sophie excelled in intimidation and deceit.

Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe swallowed as they took Sophie in, the new Assassin Mentore, living up to her father's legacy.

"You got our messages, it seems."

Sophie chuckled, checking her perfectly manicured nails.

"Yeah, I did. A little short notice, don't you think?"

"We needed to get this meeting arranged fast, it was more than just the Vatarian Cities in danger."

Sophie glared at the from under her hood, her golden-brown eyes hidden under her hood. "Do you mean to tell me you have begun to think about more than just yourselves?" She joked.

Fang Guanyu rolled his eyes, but Arsinoe laughed, "Don't forget who turns a blind eye to your little Assassin branch in my city."

Sophie made a dramatic bow, "Why, how could I ever forget the Vatarian Queen who practically begged my guild to set up a branch in her city so she could know about the secrets whispered in her own streets. How could I ever forget the Queen that doesn't know beyond the nobility washing she was raised with and needed to establish a secret Assassin branch to help her keep a steely grip on her own lands?" Sophie recounted.

Fang Guanyu glanced at Arsinoe as a smirk graced her cheeks. She was silent for a moment longer before putting a gilded gold hand on her hip, "You know, when I first met you two years ago, I thought you were a real bitch." Arsinoe spat.

"Oh? And what changed your mind?" Sophie asked quietly, smoothly.

Arsinoe merely shrugged, fiddling with her jade rings, "Oh, nothing changed. I just grew to like that about you." She smiled.

Sophie chuckled and watched as Alexios lazily threw the coins back into the basket, not before tucking one or two up his sleeve, and hopped out, landing near the waiting guards. Alexios gave them a terrifying smile as he casually plucked the crown off his head and threw it above them with ease, the golden crown landing in the basket with a plunk.

Fang Guanyu watched silently as Sophie neared them both, hugging Arsinoe. Her guards clearly didn't like the fact that a known assassin was so close to their Queen, but Arsinoe gave them a look to knock it off.

"Your friendship is one of the most fascinating things I have ever seen." Fang Guanyu muttered. Arsinoe piped up, "It is a friendship of both beneficial business transactions and multiple shared bottles of wine." She casually waved her hand. Fang Guanyu shook his head and looked at Sophie.

"Where are they?" Fang Guanyu asked quietly.

Alexios started to get the large book and papers out of his pack, but Sophie gave him a hard glare from under his hood, telling him to hold it.

"How did you know about them? Both the book and the plans?" Sophie asked, not bothering to tell them they don't have it.

"You aren't the only one with spies, Mentore Amalia. I was the one who heard about the blueprints. You weren't exactly quiet about having them during the battle of Foxfire. Once you and your company left the elven cities, a couple of my men grabbed some of those Neverseen morons you left around. We got the answers out of them."

Sophie looked nonchalant and bored even, but under her hood, her eyes flashed with unpleasantness. She shouldn't have been so careless to leave leftover Neverseen members around.

"They spoke that you had unspeakable power during the battle as well," Fang Guanyu added, slipping it in like poison. Sophie was still listening to them with her casual swagger, but the way her jaw clenched quickly under her hood before melting away made it clear she wasn't going to give them any answers about it.

"The book information came from me." Arsinoe shrugged. Sophie glared at Arsinoe, who merely shrugged again.

"We may be friends, Amalia, but I do need to stay up to date, and I can't let you do whatever you want. I heard that there was a commotion at that little Elven school Exuillium a while back, and sent some spies to look into it. It seems, some unknown hooded figures were seen making a daring escape right as the students were entering the school. After a deep investigation of the school, it was later discovered that nothing was stolen besides a mysterious book from their libraries. A bit of... persuasion, and we learned that it was written in some language they didn't understand, but it was all about these horrible flesh-eating monsters." Arsinoe shrugged.

Sophie shifted her weight between her feet, while doing her best to look bored, "And why do you need to see them?" She asked.

"We need to know what we are up against, and if we bring all of this to the meeting, people will be more likely to listen to us." Fang Guanyu argued.

Sophie glanced between the two of them, before sighing and waving her hand. Alexios took the massive book out of his bag along with the rolled-up blueprints and tossed them to the leaders. Arsinoe quickly shuffled out of the way, clearly not wanting to ruin her nails or the golden metal claws decorating her fingers.

Fang Guanyu quietly grabbed them both out of the air and offered her the blueprints with a small smile.

Sophie glanced at Alexios, who wiggled his eyebrows at his sister, both of them thinking the same thing.

It was surprisingly quiet as the two leaders looked over everything, asking the occasional question here and there. When they finished, they just looked at each other.

"Is everything in order?" Alexios asked, looking up from one of the benches he was lounging in. Arsinoe and Fang Guanyu nodded, but Arsinoe was surprisingly quiet as she continued to look over the detailed sketches and relentless Neverseen planning in the blueprints.

"The meeting is in two days. The book is written in Avriman, but I have an Avriman translator in my court that could help us decode this." Fang Guanyu started. Arsinoe released a shaky breath, and Fang Guanyu gave her a worried glance, but she met Sophie stare.

"This is bad," She sighed, her hands shaking. She glanced at Sophie, "How did you obtain these in the first place?" Arsinoe asked.

"I managed to track down two Neverseen leaders right before the battle of Foxfire, Fintan Pyren and Elrond. I manage to... handle Fintan-" Alexios snorted, "But Elrond got away."

Arsinoe looked up from the documents.

"Elrond? That doesn't sound like a Vatarian name." Arsinoe muttered.

"That's because he is Dunmer," Alexios answered.

Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe went quiet, their eyes wide.

"The Dunmer have allied with the Neverseen?" Arsinoe asked, her voice deadly quiet.

"Not exactly. Elrond was a close nobleman of King Dorian's court, King Dorian's right-hand man, in fact. But, it was revealed that he has been working with the Neverseen for several years. He was one of the aggressors during the Fall of Inalia. He managed to cut us off when we were retrieving the Book of Mirthless, and took my right-hand man Ruy Ignis in the process. We managed to find Ruy in the Dunmer kingdom, and we also created a somewhat strained alliance with King Dorian, but an alliance none the less." Sophie recounted.

Arsinoe tucked the blueprints beneath her arm, and she muttered to her guards, "Where would they be right now?"

Her guards instantly knew who she was talking about, "They should still be in their workshop, your highness." They answered. Arsinoe mumbled to herself but met Sophie's eyes.

"I have an engineer, the best technopath of the last 5 centuries. I want them to look at these. They have been working on a Neverseen project the last couple of years, ever since Inalia fell, per my request. They would be the best person to consult with these." Arsinoe answered.

Fang Guanyu handed the book to his guard, "I will have my translator look through this book, as well."

Alexios nudged Sophie, making it clear he was not on board with this, but she knew they had to. Even with her strained powers, she sent a small transmission into her brother's head.

"We need them just as much as they need us."

Alexios deflated a bit but just sighed.

"We will give them to you as long as you keep us updated on their progress, and when they are presented in the meeting, you do not tell the other leaders we are the ones who acquired them," Sophie argued. Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe clearly didn't like these conditions, used to being in charge, but this was something Sophie was not going to budge on.

"Fine." Fang Guanyu snapped.

Sophie and Alexios seemed convinced that was the end of the conversation, but Fang Guanyu piped up.

"And what of the Dunmer?" He asked.

"What about them?"

"Are they going to be attending?"

"Why would they? Last time I checked, this was a Vatarian meeting."

"They are now a part of the equation. It would make sense if they were in attendance."

"Should we invite King Dimitar and the Troll Empress Pernille that tried to kill me while we're at it?"

"We know that the Lost Prince resides in your Inner Court, Amalia." Arsinoe spat.

Sophie and Alexios kept their hardened personas, but internally they were both groaning, not wanting to deal with it.

"The Lost Prince is still getting accustomed to his princely duties-"

"More like running away from them," Alexios transmitted silently in their open mindscape, and Sophie resisted the urge to chuckle. After all, he wasn't the only one running away from things.

"And the Dunmer are unaware of this meeting. Springing it on them may not work well, especially since the last time the Dunmer and Vatarians interacted did not end on the best of terms. The Dunmer are just getting used to the possible idea that they may move above ground, these things take time."

"Time that we do not have, Morretti." Fang Guanyu snapped.

Sophie wondered if the two of them were this difficult to work with when her father was the one running things. Her father was an intimidating man, probably could've simply looked at them, and they would both have shut up.

"Leave Prince Ruy out of this. He is here on accord of the Cyevan Assassins, not Dunmer royalty." Alexios snarled, fangs elongating in his mouth, and his eyes turning silver. Fang Guanyu's cold expression started to harden, the inked on the dragon on his face almost look like it was roaring as he clenched his teeth.

Arsinoe blinked, noticing things were starting to get heated. She has never seen battle or even had to throw a punch in her life. But Fang Guanyu ran a criminal empire, he knew what he was doing. He stepped in front of Arsinoe, and the guards around them stiffened.

Sophie held out her hands, bowing her head, not in submission but to make sure her face was shadowed, to remind everyone what they were both capable of.

"We are not here to argue, you two. There are things beyond us that we need to handle. Once this threat to our existence is at least somewhat discussed and handle, you two can go hand to hand in the pits if you truly wish like the little boys you are. But you have your items now, and our deals have been made, it seems, our business here is done." Sophie said carefully, stepping between her protective snarling brother and the terrifying criminal lord. Fang Guanyu scoffed, but backed off, his calm demeanor returning to his face.

Fang Guanyu and his guard motioned to leave, but Arsinoe stood where she was, her eyes blazing with not anger but calculation.

"Amalia," Arsinoe started, noticing the clear signs Fang Guanyu was giving her to shut up, but she continued.

"I need your help." Arsinoe sighed. Fang Guanyu's eyes flashed with unpleasantness as Sophie and Alexios glanced at each other.

"With what, your majesty?" Alexios asked, his voice now calmer, stepping closer to his sister.

"We have been having these... killings, happening."

Sophie's eyebrow lifted under her hood.

"Normally, my men can handle it, but the ones who investigate the cases are disappearing or ending up murdered as well." Arsinoe started. Alexios and Sophie froze, and though they didn't look at each other, they shared the same thoughts of confusion and slight panic.

A serial killer?

Why would there be a serial killer so close to the Vatarian meeting?

"Surely my men at the Cyevan Egypitnat branch could handle this, you don't need to bring it straight to me. Everyone has murders here and there-"

"Amalia," Arsinoe whispered. Her eyes were sealed shut as she pursed her lips, as if she were trying to get the image out of her head. Sophie loosened, Alexios dropping his hands as he noticed Arsinoe's desperation. Fang Guanyu stepped back to her side and swallowed.

"They are unlike anything the world has seen. It is... brutal. And they leave behind no evidence, nothing! It has been happening for almost a week now." Arsinoe explained, her voice shaking. She finally opened her eyes, shocking everyone as tears could be seen on the surface of her pupils.

"My people, they are terrified. I have done almost everything. I have even considered going out there myself. And with the meeting so close, I worry something worse may be afoot." Arsinoe blinked away her tears and stepped back slightly.

"Mothers won't let their children play outside anymore. Fathers desperately try to put up extra lights outside their porches, even going to put out extra blessings for the gods just so they can live for another night. They are terrified to go to their jobs, to visit their families. I know I don't want to bring this to you, because I wouldn't need to, but..." Arsinoe sighed, releasing a shaky breath. Fang Guanyu gripped her arm, just slightly, as a reminder he was there.

Alexios finally turned to his sister, but she didn't meet his gaze. Sophie was staring at Arsinoe, her mouth slightly agape, and her skin paling.

To have the almighty Queen of Egyptinat begging for their help...

Gods above, what has been happening?

Sophie couldn't adequately respond, but Alexios stood up.

"Of course. Give us the details."

Sophie snapped out of her trance, glancing at her brother. As much as he is a shameless flirt and a scoundrel, the minute someone truly needs him, he steps up immediately, only wishing to help.

Arsinoe's kohl-rimmed eyes widened, but Fang Guanyu spoke first.

"That is all it takes? She just begs you, and you are willing to lay down what you are doing to-"

"We are not monsters, alright? We are practical and somewhat rude, and kinda assholes sometimes, but if there is a killer on the streets, then we have a real problem. It's not just the leaders that are in danger, but it is Egyptinat's peace of mind, the people's sanity and their safety. Mothers, fathers, and children are out there and vulnerable." Alexios snapped. He knows what it feels like to be terrified in your own home. Sophie knew it still haunted him, his life after the Fall of Inalia. Hiding in the shadows and continuously on the run.

Sophie smiled at her brother before turning to Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe.

"We have two days until the meeting is supposed to commence. We don't have that much going on, just keeping an eye on everything-"

"I think you mean spying on everyone." Fang Guanyu snapped.

Sophie shot him a look "-and laying low. We are taking refuge at the Cyevan Egypitnat branch since we aren't officially invited to this conference. During that time, we can look into this." Sophie proposed.

Fang Guanyu looked ready to protest, but Arsinoe wrapped her arms around Sophie and Alexios, squeezing them tight.

"Shukraan lakum," Thank you, Arsinoe whispered in Egyptinat. She pulled away from them quickly, regaining her queenly composure. She gestured to one of her soldiers, who promptly handed her small stack of papers secured by a leather cord.

"That is everything we have on the cases, Mentore," Arsinoe said, handing the papers into Sophie's gloved hand.

There was practically nothing.

Alexios groaned as Sophie handed the papers to him, glancing at the minimal information, but Sophie kicked him quickly in the shins.

"We will see what can be done."

"Thank you Mentore, please try to keep your presence here quiet though, the commoners may love you, but the nobility... not so much," Arsinoe said kindly, gesturing for her guards. They all started to leave, but Fang Guanyu turned on his heel.

"By the way, Amalia?" He called back.

Alexios and Sophie gazed lazily at him, humming as if in answer.

"You should really put a leash on that brother of yours," Fang Guanyu gave Alexios a look that would send weaker men running, but merely made her brother shoot back a wicked grin.

"Or at least a muzzle." Fang Guanyu sighed, waving in goodbye.

The two leaders lifted up their hoods and slipped out the doors.

Alexios gave Fang Guanyu a vulgar gesture as the door to the temple shut behind them.

"Did you really have to be so obnoxious?" Sophie snapped, turning on her heel to glare at her brother.

Alexios shrugged, tucking his laced hands behind his head, "Meh, it's fun to mess with them."

Sophie chuckled in agreement, snatching the papers out of his hand.

She shifted through the measly documents, cringing.

"Yeah, that's all they got." Alexios sighed.

Nine pieces of parchment, each one documenting a different murder. Only four of them had identities, though, the five others couldn't be recognized due to the maulings of the bodies.

Images were included as well.

They made Sophie feel so sick she handed the files to her brother and try to keep down her lunch.

Maulings, each and every one of them. Blood, gore, unlike anything either of them had seen before.

They knew that this wasn't a possible rogue Assassin, because this was not their style of training, and the Assassins in Egypitnat would've picked up on a traitor by now. Assassin's never really took pleasure in the kill, you were supposed to be silent, quick, and efficient. This looked like someone really took their time. And really enjoyed it.

Alexios pinched the bridge of his nose, looking away.

"Okay... okay, okay, okay, okay..." Alexios breathed, running his hands over his face as they processed what they just got themselves into. Alexios tucked the documents in his pack, and he turned to where they snuck in initially.

And then nudged his sister with his foot, not breaking eye contact from where they snuck in.

Ruy's shadow could be seen as he leaned against the glass, the pane cracked slightly open.

He heard everything.

Sophie bit her lip as she and Alexios shared a look. They both started their climb up the walls of the temple, grappling and jumping the way they were taught during their youth. Sophie glanced down at the temple floor, now maybe a hundred feet below them. Three years ago, she was terrified of jumping off a cliff during the battle at the Lumangwe base, but after the years of the climbing and parkouring... heights never get to her anymore. She smoothly pulled herself over the ledge and pushed open the window enough for her and Alexios to shimmy out. Ruy sat on the tiled roof, one leg propped up while the other lay flat, his wings drooped behind him as his interlaced hands rested on his mouth, deep in thought.

"Ruy?" Alexios muttered.

"Yeah, I heard everything," Ruy replied, knowing what he was going to ask.

It was silent for a moment, but Ruy hopped onto his feet, shaking out everything.

"I'm going to start watching the Governor, I'll watch him till midday tomorrow. Blondie, would you mind if I borrow Ricin?"

"To spy on the Governor?" She asked. Ricin purred as his name was mentioned, casually slinking over to Sophie and resting against her. His wing was fully healed, and Sophie was ready to take him for a ride later, so she was a bit hesitant. Not to mention, she was hoping to spend some time with Ruy.

"No, after that. I won't be able to get back fast enough if I go on foot." Ruy explained.

Alexios put it together before Sophie did, "You don't need to go back to the Kingdom if you really don't want to Ruy. Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe were just difficult."

Ruy shrugged, holding out his hand for Ricin, who left Sophie's side to cuddle against it.

"They were right, though. This is just beyond me and not wanting to deal with my dad. This is beyond just me being terrified of all of... this." Ruy gestured to himself. He sighed, running a hand down his face.

"With Ricin, I can get to the cavern in time to convince the king to attend the conference," Ruy argued.

"Ruy-"

"Yes, you two, I have to do this." His eyes looked like it was the last thing he wanted to do, but he was going to throw down his pride and fear to do it.

Maybe Sophie could learn a thing or two from that.

Alexios looked ready to argue, but Sophie just whispered, "Okay." with heartbreaking gentleness. Ruy gave her a small, defeated smile and stretched himself out.

"The Governor is rumored to be staying at the Palace, but he isn't there yet. He is probably still on track towards Egypitnat, you can follow them on the road." Sophie explained, "We will be staying at the base we have out here. Tomorrow Alexios and I will look into these murders."

Sophie glanced at Ricin, "Where should I tell Ricin to wait for you when you are done?"

Ruy shrugged, "Here is fine."

Sophie and Alexios glanced at one another, but they each hugged Ruy.

Sophie's hug lingered as she whispered, "Be safe."

He nodded, pulling up his hood and slid down the outside of the temple. Alexios and Sophie remained for a moment longer, processing everything.

"What's the plan?" Alexios asked after a minute. Sophie sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"We remain quiet, we don't let this killer know that he has the Assassin's trailing them. But, we only have two days to figure this out, not to mention other preparations for the conference. We are gonna have to work fast and quiet." Sophie sighed.

Alexios chuckled, "Yeah, well, that is what we do best, isn't it?"

Fitz continued the busy work that Elwin had given him. He was training to be a physician, and Elwin was kind enough to let him train under him. Fitz loved it, but he couldn't focus today, too much was going through his mind. With the fast work of the gnomes, Foxfire and most of Eternalia has been restored. There were still parts of the school that were closed off, along with certain areas of Eternalia. It was another school day, and the students were recovering incredibly well. Kids were buzzing about, stopping in to say hi and the young girls to nervously wave to Fitz, giggling as their cheeks blushed. Fitz always waved back, giving them a small smile and focused again on his work, even as they ran away, squealing to their friends. Fitz's knee bounced as he tried to focus.

Where is Sophie, Would Inalia be okay, how are the Assassins holding up, is the conference safe-

"Mr. Vacker!" Elwin shouted, Fitz jumping in his seat and scattering the paperwork everywhere. Fitz groaned, kneeling and sweeping up the papers. Elwin glared at Fitz from his desk, an eyebrow cocked.

"Are you alright, Fitz?" Elwin asked.

"Yeah, yeah, just thinking," Fitz answered.

Elwin leaned back in his chair.

"May I ask what about?" Elwin inquired.

Fitz remained quiet as he continued to sweep up the papers.

"I'm just thinking about the attack. That's all..."

"Ah, now that you have given me that flat out lie, the truth, please?" Elwin asked.

To Fitz, that was the truth, there was nothing more to it than that.

But Fitz betrayed himself and glanced at one of the images on Elwin's desk.

A picture from the first week of school during his fourth year with all of his friends.

Including Sophie.

The fluttering in Fitz's stomach started again.

Elwin picked up the picture as Fitz tore his gaze away. He just smiled.

"Ah, I see."

Fitz scowled, plopping the paperwork down on the desk.

"What did you need my attention for anyway?" Fitz asked, flipping through the pages to make sure the ink didn't smear when he knocked them everywhere.

"I called your name at least 5 times before I snapped at you, I was going to say that I need you to send a slip for Jaclyn Ganar to come to the health room for her inspection, but now..." Elwin's face worried slightly, "Maybe you should go for a walk?" Elwin proposed.

"No, no, I'm fine. Again, just processing everything." Fitz shuffled around his desk for his passes, "Are you sure I should inspect Jaclyn? She is always red and and has the shakes around me, she may be coming down with something? I can't seem to make a proper diagnosis however, but she keeps coming sick, even redness is only in her cheeks and the shakiness is just in her hands..." Elwin glanced at the picture on his desk again.

"It's weird, isn't it? That the little girl we knew so well is so... different. Good, but different." Elwin shrugged. Fitz looked up at Elwin, haunting his rummaging.

"What do you think of all of this."

Elwin chuckled, "I'm afraid you are going to have to be more specific."

Fitz pointed his head to Sophie's picture, "Of them? The Vatarians and Dunmer?"

Elwin thought for a moment, carefully putting down his pen.

"I don't know, in all honesty. I hate to admit it, but before the attack, I was under the assumption that Vatarians and Dunmer were just a myth, and a scary one at that. They were always posed as these evil posers trying to take over the world, or the boogeyman meant to scare us just for their own enjoyment."

Elwin loosed a breath,

"But then I learned what the Council has done to them, selling them out and treating them like beasts. I was undyingly loyal to the Council for so long, I knew what they were like, I know they like things they can control. And if they don't, they either turn everyone against it or banish it away. I never questioned it before, but now? I just feel like I can't trust them after what they did. Sophie is still hard to put together, we need the information to get this story straight. But from what I know of it," Elwin glanced at Fitz, "I can't really blame her for wanting to go home."

The word hit Fitz like a kick to the stomach.

Home. Like she was in the Lost Cities on vacation, only to return to the place she belonged.

"She had a home here," Fitz shot back. "With us," he nearly spat.

"Yes, she did, and she left it. She needed to move on towards what she wanted," Elwin looked at Fitz from over his spectacles that were sliding down his nose, "Even if what she wanted isn't what we wanted. But she left not only for herself, but because she realized it would be what's best for the fight against the Neverseen."

Fitz breathed through his nose, signing the last of the forms. He didn't respond, he didn't know how to. He carefully set down his pen.

"I think I will go for that walk," Fitz answered, his voice tight.

Elwin merely smiled.

"Take as long as you need. I'll inspect Jaclyn, I'm not busy." Elwin said simply, grabbing his passes so he could call her from class. He wasn't telling Fitz to calm down, to stop being a brat, just giving him the space he needs to breathe.

Fitz pushed his chair back into his desk and slipped out of the Recovery Center. The passing period was almost over, the occasional student here and there rushing to make their next class. They all waved at Fitz, giving him a quick hello before running off. He turned the corner, spying a small group of maybe third years hiding underneath the stairwell, trying to avoid the hall monitors and teachers in an attempt to skip class. They paled as Fitz spotted them, thinking he was going to report them, but he just continued on.

The word still echoed in his head, in the empty place where their cognate bond was stood.

Home, home, home...

Was Sophie really that unhappy here? Was she that miserable? Why didn't she tell Fitz, maybe they could have figured something out, perhaps things could have been different.

Fitz imagined what it would've been if she had never left. They would have remained fighting with the Black Swan in the Neverseen base, continued to fight, and win with no one needing to sacrifice themselves like she did. But her hand was forced that day when she was taken at Lumangwe. Biana or Sophie, Biana and 50 other Black Swan men. Fitz knew her well enough that she was willing to break her own back to make sure everyone came home.

Everyone but her.

He remembered the look in her eyes as their cognate connection severed. The tears staining their eyes as she lifted her head from her limp body, both of them shaking as the remains of that special bond fluttered to the backs of their minds.

Severed, untouchable, and unattainable.

Fitz missed it a lot, to feel the warmth of her mind alongside his own. He busied himself to try to forget it, but his mind always seemed to taunt him with the occasional memory of them using it, or a wisp of the connection floating around his mind, unreachable no matter how hard he tried.

His mind taunted him once again, reminding the feeling of her lips on his in the library that night. It was almost three whole years ago. After Sophie was pronounced dead, Fitz just shut down. He eventually told himself to move, forcing himself out of bed and trying to do something with his day, even if they felt like the most miserable days of his life. He forced himself forward, not letting anything to sink in.

Including his feelings towards her.

They were dead, he repeated that to himself over and over again. Those stupid flutterings died once Sophie died.

But she didn't die, but his feelings should have.

So why did this stupid feeling come back? The feeling of wanting to sweep her up into his arms whenever she enters a room, the feeling of his heart slamming against his chest whenever she smiled at him.

Was she the same way, or has she moved on as he should have?

No, he hasn't moved on, and maybe he doesn't want to. He wants things back the way they were. But Sophie didn't, and he couldn't stand that-

"Fitzroy." A voice called out. Fitz stopped, turning around.

To stare at Alvar.

Alvar had no Inalian clothing on. He wore a long sleeve shirt with embroidered silver neckline and cuffs, the shirt cut to match his muscled stature perfectly. Clean cut pants and polished black boots. Resting around his shoulders was a dark blue silver embroidered cape, with the Vacker family pin centered in the middle of his chest securing the cape, glinting in the bright foxfire light. His hair was cleanly cut and tucked aside, clean face, looking like he never spent any time in Inalia. The only identifiable piece of anything Vatarian on him was a thick bright silver band on his left hand, an Inalian engagement ring.

Fitz's face dropped, whipping his head around, making sure no one spotted his fugitive brother.

"What are you doing here?!" Fitz hissed, speed walking towards his brother and gripping him by the arm, dragging him into one of the shadowed hallways.

"I have a problem," Alvar whispered.

"Yeah, I do too. It starts with "A" ends with "Lvar" and the fact that he is here right now when we are supposed to be pretending we don't know each other-"

"The council has found out about the Vatarian Conference!" Alvar hissed. Fitz paled, glancing around and leaning forward.

"How?!" Fitz asked.

Alvar looked away, "I think our traitor gave them information."

Lol, I forgot to put a little end card here in the first publishing. Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow. 

_Sibylline_

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1.5K 67 14
*DISCONTINUED* amazing cover made by @aprilbluess!!! this book will be deleted on 4/9/2023
43.6K 365 8
One shots featuring one of my many OTP's! . . . . . . Rowan x Aelin . . . . . Me 3 Years Later: Man this is super cringy lol, but I'll leave it.
1K 51 11
UPDATE: Headcanons part 9: Eyes of Heaven arc A bunch of idea and headcanons for my wierd crossover AU! So I'm fan of SVSSS of JJBA for a time now an...
58.6K 705 41
Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those inevitable feelings, drove Sophie away fro...