Queen Regnant ( Ace of Queens...

De marcyswales17

The third book after to Rye and Xavier's story....Please read the first two books or you will be lost :P Mav... Mais

Prologue
Ch. 1 Father's Mistakes
Ch. 2 Up in the air
Ch. 3 Crush
Ch.4 Dress to impress
CH.5 Ra-da-co-vick
Ch.6 Oh Brother
Ch.7 Badges
Ch.8 Rumors
Ch.9 Czara the space witch
Ch.10 Libelle
Ch.11 What am I?
CH.12 Dreams
Ch.13 Standing ovation
CH.14 Someone Else
Ch.15 Travelers
Ch.16 Not the same thing
Ch.17 Over her heart
Ch.18 The game
Ch.19 Checkmate
Ch.20 Aftermath
Ch.21 Dancing with Ghosts
Ch.22 The Princess
Ch.23 Juniper's Baker's Best
Ch.24 Bad Habit
Ch.25 Every Word
Ch.26 Put a spell on me
Ch.27 Eggs
Ch.28 Ms.Dorin
Ch.29 Spilled Tea
CH.30 Games
Ch.31 Frozen
Ch.32 Test Him
CH.33 Father of the Bride
CH.34 Little Boys
CH.35 I have nothing
Chapter 36 Sweet dreams
CH.37 Twice the fun
CH.38 Mirror Mirror
CH.39 Mary Sue
CH.40 Apologies
CH.41 Family
CH.43 Lillies
CH.44 Let her come
CH.45 All dressed in White
CH.46 Letters.
47. No words needed
CH.48 Leave your mark
CH. 49 A gift
CH.50 Maksim
CH.51 Hope
CH.52 Let it rain
CH.53 Keep talking
CH.54 Cupcakes
CH.55 Owen
CH.56 Only about you
CH.57 Restless nights
CH.58 Dirty Martini
CH.59 Crown
CH.60 Hello, trouble
CH.61 Confession of a lover
CH.62 Deal with the Devil
CH.63 Itty Bitty Jars
CH.64 Basil Hunts
CH.65 Time Stands Still

CH.42 Burn it all

20.6K 1.2K 269
De marcyswales17

Chapter 42

Xavier didn't come down for dinner.

The family waited for him until Rye left the table and went in search for her husband in his office.

When Mavi rose from her seat, Exton stopped her.

"Let mom handle this, Piglet," he said quietly. "There isn't much you and I can do right now."

Mavi took a deep breath and sat back down. Owen laced his fingers through her and pulled her hand on his lap.

"I can't believe that fool," Ellanore said under her breath. "For years he stood by our side just to stab us in the back like this."

No one said anything around the table. Mavi kept her head down and picked at the peas on her table. Her mind kept slipping to the image of Charles's body. Her ear was heavy with his words about her and her mother.

"Mavi, dear," Ellanore said. "Don't let a rodent like Charles discourage you. He was spineless."

Mavi nodded. Owen kept his eyes on her and watched her carefully as she moved around her food.

"So what is the plan for the other bastard?" Ellanore wiped the corners of her mouth with her napkin.

Exton took a sip of his water, "We sent words to Arion's court and summoned him."

"He's not coming," Ellanore said. "He's a fool, but he's not suicidal."

"We did our part by extending an invitation for a civil conversation," Owen said. "The next move his his."

Ellanore nodded slowly, "Good. Make sure to bury him in the gold he sold us out for."

Mavi gently pushed her plate away, "May I be excused?"

"You barely ate anything," Ellanore pointed out.

"I'm not really hungry," Mavi frowned.

"It's rude to leave the table in the middle of din-"

Mavi got up and dropped her napkin on her plate before she bent down and kissed Owen's cheek.

"I'll be upstairs," Mavi said.

Owen pushed his chair back and rose to his feet as well. Mavi frowned but he ignored her as he took hold of her hand and led her out of the room.

"You didn't have to leave," Mavi said as they walked upstairs.

"I had hoped by now you'd have learned that I am not letting you out of my sight," Owen gave her his dimple smile that made the weight of the day elevated off Mavi's shoulders.

"Thank you," Mavi said as he pulled her into his arms in the middle of the halls.

Owen cupped her face into his large warm hands as he brought her closer. Mavi rested her hands on his forearms as she pushed up onto her tippy toes and waited for him to kiss her. She would never get over the feeling of his lips. Every time he touched her, it was as if it was the first time.

Owen lowered his head and brushed his lips over her. He stuck his tongue out and teased her as her breath hitched in her chest.

"Owen," Mavi whines.

Laughing lowly in his chest, Owen finally kissed his girl. She was a masterpiece, perfect in every way to him.

"I love you," Mavi whispered.

"I can't say I love you anymore," Owen rested his forehead against her and sighed.

"Why not?" Mavi frowned.

"It's too simple and plane.," Owen looked into her gray eyes. "It can never fully express my feelings for you."

Mavi smiled as she bit down on her bottom lip, "Who knew you were such a romantic, Mr. Radacovick."

"Only you get me this way, Ms. Dorin," Owen kissed her jaw.

"I don't like that name," Mavi made a face.

"What name?"

"Ms. Dorin," Mavi laughed. "I like your name more......I want it."

Owen couldn't help the way his chest warmed. He tucked in a strand of her hair behind her ear and rubbed her face with his thumb.

"I'm yours, princess, " He whispered.

"I know," Mavi closed her eyes. "I would lose my mind if anything every hap-"

Before she could finish, Owen was kissing her again. Mavi was left breathless as he walked her up against the walls of the hall and pressed her down with his body. Owen kissed her with an urgency that left every inch of Mavi's body accelerated and on fire.

"Okay, oaky, cut it out you two," Exton's voice boomed from down the hall.

Owen pulled away from Mavi and they both turned to face Exton.

"We have a situation," The prince said motioning for his sister and her mate to follow him.

"We should have stayed in Juniper," Owen mumbled under his breath as he took hold of Mavi's hand and followed Exton. Mavi laughed as she smoothed her hair and fixed her shirt.

"What's going on?" She asked her brother as he led them down to the part of the palace where the King's guards were staying.

"Arion tried to flee," Exton said. Mavi rushed after him as he took long fast strides down the halls. He was tense and Mavi could tell there was more to the story.

"What do you mean?" Owen asked.

"Basil had scouts watching the pixie palace," Exton informed them. "They found him trying to portal out his court and leave."

"That bitch," Mavi shook her head.

"Is the palace surrounded?" Owen asked.

"Yes," Exton nodded. "The local pack is already there. They're waiting on us now."

Owen turned to look at Mavi. Before he could even formulate his thoughts, Mavi held up her hand.

"Don't you dare tell me to stay here." She said sternly.

Exton shook his head, "Yeah man. You're new, but you'll catch on. You can never tell the women in this family what to do."

Owen sighed, "A man can only dream."

Mavi and Exton both laughed as they walked into the large hall. The king's Guards all fell quiet as their eyes landed on them. Alec caught Mavi's eyes from the crowd and she gave him a small shy smile.

"Mavi you're staying with Owen," Xavier said as he and Basil came out of the side office. "Exton you're with me. Basil will take the packs."

Everyone nodded. The king's guards scrambled as Basil spun the ring on his fingers and opened the portal to Arion.

"Our priority is to capture him alive," Xavier said as he looked out at the guards. "Do not engage unless they attack first."

"Mavi," Exton quietly whispered into his sister's ears. He pulled her aside and gave her a pixie ring.

"What about you and dad?" Mavi asked as she watched her brother slip the ring into her fingers.

"You are more important," Exton said.

"No," Mavi shook her head.

"Don't argue," Exton gripped her hands tightly. "Think of Owen. He will be next to you. If the situation gets too crazy, you get him and yourself out of there."

"I don't u-"

"There is a possibility Azazel is there," Exton said slowly. He gave his sister a minute or two for the words to sink in.

"What?" Mavi asked, her heart pounding.

"It's not confirmed," Exton said. "But in case she is, get the hell out of there."

Mavi looked over at Owen and her heart almost stopped. She no longer argued as she accepted the ring and went back to stand next to him.

Two by two, everyone stepped through the portals and arrived on the fields outside of Arion's palace. Their footsteps were silent as the night as they entered the grounds and the teams split up.

Keep your links open at all times, Xavier told everyone. Do not engage unless you are attacked first.

Mavi and Owen listened to Xavier's words as they slowly moved down the empty halls of Arion's place. Other than the moonlight seeping in through the large glass windows, there was no other light. Mavi was astonished to see the usually lit glittering palace diminished to such darkness.

"Stay close," Owen whispered to her.

Mavi nodded as she followed him around a corner and down a set of stairs. Once they entered the open courtyard, the hairs on the back of her neck suddenly stood on it's ends.

Someone's here, Mavi mind-linked Owen.

Owen slowly pulled Mavi closer and looked into her eyes. They were hidden by the shadows of the large columns. Owen's wolf prowled in his head, waiting to get out.

Mavi and Owen stood still as rock, their eyes locked on each other, their senses on high alert.

Somewhere in the distance, someone took a deep breath. Mavi felt her shoulders tense as she heard the sound of string being pulled back.

In a split second, Mavi released her large wings and shielded Owen as an arrow flew through the cold night air and struck her scaled wing before bouncing off.

Owen's face twisted as he witnessed the flicker of irritation in Mavi's eyes. He growled as Mavi turned around and pressed her back against his back.

They stood back to back as their eyes scanned their surroundings. Mavi had her wings ready to cover them in case any more arrows flew through the air. She felt Owen tense as figures started emerging from the shadows.

I thought Pixies took the form of children, Mavi said in confusion as she watched the large muscly men step out of the shadows.

Seven and ten years olds can't really give a fair fight, Owen linked back. They probably changed forms.

These sneaky bitches.....

Just then, one of the now fully grown pixies lunged forward with a silver sword. Mavi ducked and shifted mid air as Owen did the same. They landed on the ground as wolf and dragon, lashing out without a moment's hesitation.

Mavi knocked the sword swinging pixie off his feet with her wing and forced him to retreat as she sent out a fall of flame at his feet. She turned around and saw one more charging at her with a dagger when suddenly Owen sunk his jaw into the pixie's leg and flung him across the courtyard.

Thanks, babe. Mavi linked him.

Anytime, princess.

Duck, Mavi commanded.

Owen's wolf dropped to the ground as Mavi released a steady stream of fire onto a pixie who tried to sneak up on Owen.

From the grounds, Owen noticed three pixies dragging out a large silver net. He growled as he realized they were getting ready to throw it onto Mavi. Owen tucked under Mavi's fire and pounded on the pixies. His paws touched the silver and hissed, sending out sharp jots of pain up his limbs.

Owen ignored it all as he started biting onto the pixies and tearing off their arms that held the silver net.

Exton! Owen called out through his link. Sound courtyard.

On my way. Exton responded immediately.

Mavi used her powerful jaw to bite into one of the pixies and pull him off Owen. She bit down on his stomach as she felt his bones crack. Flinging the man's body aside, she picked up another one and did the same.

Owen snared and growled as he bit into the neck of a pixie and flung him back. He descended onto another one just as he heard Mavi cry out.

OWEN!

Mavi watched in horror as she was too late to reach her mate in time. The silver arrow flew through the air and struck Owen's wolf in the neck, causing Mavi to roar out in rage. Her eyes bounced to the balcony from where the arrow had come from and she caught the sight of Arion.

The prick smiled down at her as he lowered his bow. Mavi narrowed her eyes in anger as she felt her wings stir and flutter. From the corner of her eyes she saw Exton and Xavier's wolves run into the courtyard and rush over towards Owen's wolf.

Watch him, Mavi commanded them as she took a step forward.

Mavi, no! Xavier said sternly. Stand down.

Mavi could not hear anything. The image of Owen's wolf laying on the floor flash behind her ears in bright red as she felt her wings begin to flap.

Mavi lowered her body to the ground and locked her hind legs. She ran through all the checks in her mind that she would usually do if she was getting ready for take off in the cockpit.

With a push, she felt her body shoot up from the ground. Her wings extended outward and flapped once and then twice before she caught the air underneath them.

And just like on an airplane, Mavi leaned her nose forward and let her wings cut through the air as she flew up and up to the balcony.

Arion dropped his bow and gasped as he watched the large silver dragon fly off the ground and land on the railing of his balcony.

Mavi claws gripped onto the rails as she lowered her head and snapped her jaw in the pixie king's childish face. She reached out with her front claw and seized him, causing him to yell out in protest.

As she thrust and struggled against her grip, Mavi flew down from the balcony and dropped Arion at her father's feet. Alec and the king's guards grabbed him quickly and restrained him.

As Mavi descended back onto the ground, her eyes desperately searched the ground for Owen.

Where is he?? She demanded.

We sent him though the portal, Exton said quickly. Mavi, he's hurt badly. Mom is taking care of him.

NO NO NO NO NO, Mavi chanted over and over as she backed up a few feet once her eyes landed on the pool of blood near her brother.

She turned her head in rage as she spotted the king's guards detaining the pixies. Without thinking, she pulled her neck back and let a stream of raging fire escape her.

The king's guards leaped out of the way as the pixies caught fire. Mavi turned her head in madness as she began to burn down everything insight.

"Xavier, stop her!" Arion demanded as he watched his beautiful palace go up in flames.

Xavier's wolf growled and snapped his jaw at Arion, forcing him to shut his mouth.

Mavi, Exton called out. Enough!

Mavi didn't listen. She flew off the ground and went back to the balcony as she began to burn the second floor.

Exton turned to Xavier, Stop her.

Mavi.....Xavier called out. Owen needs you right now. You need to calm down and go to him.

Exton and Xavier watched in anticipation as Mavi slowly calmed down and came back to the grounds. Xavier's heart ached as he watched the tears in Mavi's eyes roll down her silver scaled face. He turned away and growled at Arion, vowing to make the little prick pay.

Basil quickly opened a portal and ushered Mavi through. On the other side, Adel waited for her with a simple dress. She moved Mavi into a private area as the princess shifted back and pulled on the dress.

Mavi wasted no time. Once the dress was on her, she began to run down the halls bare feet until she reached the hospital.

"Mom!" She called out.

One of the nurses stopped Mavi and pulled her back. "Dr. Alden is in the operating room right now, you can't go in there."

Mavi tried to fight her off but Gemma came out of the waiting area and stopped her.

"Mavi, stop!" Gemma urged. "Let Rye work. She's taking care of Owen."

Mavi's heart quivered at the mention of his name. She ran into Gemma's arms and began to weep hysterically.

"He's going to be okay," Gemma said as she patted Mavi's head and smoothes her hair over.

"I want to see him," Mavi cried. "I want to see him, please."

"Soon, baby," Gemma frowned. She looked over Mavi's shoulder at Exton and Xavier entering the hospital. Mavi followed her gaze and moved her eyes to her father.

"Dad," Mavi sobbed. "Help him.....dad I can't live without him."

Xavier moved forward and pulled Mavi into his arms, "He's going to be a fine baby. Nothing will happen to him."

"I can't live without him, dad," Mavi repeated as she buried her face in her father's chest and cried heavily.

Xavier held her in his arms and sat her down. He gently soothed her and kissed her head as she cried quietly in his arms. He didn't know for how long he held her, but when Rye came into the waiting area and kneeled down in front of Mavi, Xavier's heart sank.

"Mavi," Rye called out quietly to her daughter. "Do you want to see him?"

Mavi sat up at once, "Is he okay? Is he fine?"

Her heart pounded in her chest as she saw the hesitation in Rye's eyes.

"What?" Mavi asked. "What are you not telling me?"

"We....we stopped the bleeding," Rye began. "But the arrow.....the arrow head had poison on it.....his body can't fight it off on it's own.....we're trying to help in any way that we can."

Mavi shook her head, "No...."

"I'm sorry, baby," Rye wiped away the tears on her daughter's face. "He's fighting it real hard."

"I want to see him," Mavi said.

"Okay," Rye nodded. He stood up and held her hand out.

With trembling hands, Mavi took her mother' hand and followed her into Owen's room. She almost sank to the floor as her eyes landed on her mate. She rushed up to him and ran her eyes over him and the many machines he was hooked up to.

"We're monitoring his vitals," Rye explained.

"Can he hear us?" Mavi asked.

"Most likely not,"

Mavi didn't respond. She picked up Owen's hand and sat down on the bed. Rye lingered for a few minutes before she kissed Mavi's head and walked out of the room.

Minutes turned into hours as Mavi sat beside Owen watching him. She held his hand firmly and prayed over and over for the goddess to return him to her.

"Please don't leave me," Mavi whispered into his ears as she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheeks.

Mavi also cried out in anger and fear when Owen remained unmoved in front of her. She lowered herself next to him and listened to the beeps of the machines.

"Please don't leave me," she said once more as tears began to run down her face.   

:( Poor Owen......

what was your favorite part :) 

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

24.4K 866 27
••• THIS IS BOOK 3!! READ BOOKS 1 and 2 FIRST!!! ••• Started: 12th June 2023
1.3M 61.8K 38
Exton Alexander Dorin knew from the start Gemma Moore was not what he wanted. She came in like a hurricane and turned his life upside down...or so he...
351K 7.9K 22
When Bella's father invites the neighboring pack to join them for a week, she finds her mate. (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS WAS MY FIRST BOOK AND IT...
6.1K 411 32
Recommended reading the first two books. ALPHA LUNA It can be read as stand-alone if wanted though. (Some references may be confusing) *EDITING* Mia...