A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.

2.3K 48 50
By _Sibylline_

I know this chapter is super late, but I am been sick over here (NO I DON'T HAVE CORONA, JUST A COLD) and this was one of the hardest chapters for me to write. Because of that, there may be a few spelling mistakes here and there (they are always in my story) and some confusion. If there is anything you guys are really confused about because of a typo then just comment it and let me know. But since we are on the topic, I just want to everyone to know you are in my hopes and I know everyone will get through this! If you ask me, if we keep washing our hands, keeping healthy practices, and vibing away the germs, then this coward of a 'global pandemic' won't know what hit it! Remember, if you ever need to talk, my DMs are always open! Now, onto the story!

They stayed in that strategy room for hours. The letters varied when it came to responses, but they all agreed on one thing.

Changing where they would be meeting.

It was initially going to be Inalia, but since Inalia's location was compromised, they all suggested Egypinat. Sophie and a few other influential members in Vatarian society would be invited, people from different guilds, politicians, noble people, and all of the Vatarian leaders.

Including the Senate.

Everyone groaned out loud when they realized the Senate would be attending. The whole purpose of the meeting was to try to keep the Senate out of this, but the other Vatarian leaders decided it would be better to bring them in. But, that also means they would get to see what damage Maria did to Vincenzo during their fight in the town square, and everyone was itching to see the damage she left. They realized that they needed to make sure they had all updated information on all the leaders and the attending parties, along with shadowing them. Mansi volunteered to shadow the Master Cheiftan of Wampanoag, the chief elected by all of the Wampanoag to represent them all since she knew Wampanoag best and would blend in the most.

Alvar volunteered to shadow the Elven Council; he knew the Lost Cities the best, and his family could help him stay undercover. He wanted to make sure the Elves would keep their noses out of Vatarian affairs. Maha volunteered to spy on the King of Avrima, but no one volunteered to eye the Governor of Cariana. But they knew Sophie sure as hell wasn't going to do it.

Sophie tossed out Chiranu's and Egyptinat's letters onto the table.

"Arsinoe and Fang Guanyu want to meet. Privately, it seems, in the Prayer district in Egyptinat, two nights before the meeting. It seems all parties attending were expected to arrive two days in advance to make sure if there are any last minutes decisions made, they can quickly change things if need be, including us. But we need to find our own lodging, since Assassin Guilds aren't exactly legal, and not supposed to be represented at a government hosted function. At least not in the official eyes of the government and people. But we are expected to attend. Quietly."

"Psh, quietly my ass. I'm bringing my best dresses, and they aren't quiet." Mansi muttered to Maha, who giggled with her.

Sophie looked up at all of them, "Our allies Fang Guanyu of Chiranu and Queen Arsinoe of Egypinat are asking to see the Mirthless Infusing machine blueprints and the Book of Mirthless." Sophie sighed.

"Absolutely not." Alexios snapped.

"They are the only two Vatarian leaders we are generally good terms with Alexios. They only want to observe the book and blueprints and bring a better understanding of the meeting."

"Queen Arsinoe and Fang Guanyu can wait just like the others at the meeting-"

"We can trust them both, our ancestors have trusted them for years before us, and no reason not to do so."

"Amalia, Fang Guanyu is a criminal king! And Queen Arsinoe is... difficult to work with. Trust me, I would know." Nour argued, reminding her he was the leader of their Cyevan Egypinat branch.

"They are our only allies that are Vatarian leaders! The Master Chieftain of Wampanoag is a neutral party when it comes to us. But the Governor of Cariana and the King of Avrima aren't best of friends with us. We need to keep those who don't want to slit our throats close." Mansi argued back.

"Not to mention, There are going to be more than just the Vatarian leaders there. The letters state that there are going to be a few other noble families and other organizations there. We need to present a unified solid front, an untouchable organization that is better than everyone else." Sophie sighed. Biana and Keefe kept up with everyone's debating.

"Sophie, a few years have passed since your... altercation with the Governor; we may not need to hold this up mirage anymore-"

"This isn't about the Governor, Maha; it is what we need to present to make sure we are taken seriously. If we change how we presented ourselves now, they will know how we were in the past was a lie, and that won't help the problem. We need to keep our allies close and our persona up. This meeting is a fragile situation, and we simply don't have the time or ability to pick and choose our allies!" Sophie snapped over the arguing table.

Everyone went quiet at Sophie snapping at all of them but realized that her point holds true.

"What is she talking about? Persona?" Keefe asked. Everyone looked aside.

"We aren't that... friendly to outsiders of our guild, it is the most efficient way to operate. To everyone else in the world, we are just a band of cold-hearted killers with an asshole witch at the head of it all, and we have been trying to keep that persona up. It helps us get taken more seriously and helps others realize that we aren't a group to be taken lightly."

"We also have... competition out there, and we need to match them," Sophie answered. Biana and Keefe blinked.

"An.... asshole witch at the head of it all?" Biana questioned, glancing at Sophie. Sophie shrugged, her face emotionless.

"I'm an excellent actress." Sophie admitted, and she glanced at the letters scattered on the massive table, "I don't care what people think of me, as long as it gets the job done." She shrugged. Sophie knew Keefe and Biana deflated as she said that, but she didn't look up from the table.

"It has been decided. Everyone will shadow their selected leaders, Fang Guanyu and Queen Arsinoe have asked to see Alexios and me. Still, I also think they may want to see Ruy due to the discussion also being about the Dunmer."

"Lia, you forgot something..." Mansi whispered. Sophie knew what she is talking about, and groaned.

"Someone else can keep an eye on the Governor, but I'm certainly not. We have a plan, and we are sticking to it." Sophie snapped. Ruy tried to meet Sophie's eyes, but she simply glared over the table.

"I'll do it. After tonight's meeting, I can shadow him." Ruy volunteered. Sophie finally looked at him, and though her emotionless calculating face didn't crack, her eyes gave a flare of warmth.

"Thank you," Sophie breathed, returning to the table. Sophie met Biana and Keefe's eyes.

"We have to bring you back today. Too much is at risk for us to have the council on our heels, and if they spin some sob story about us kidnapping one of the elves, it would be chaos." Sophie's face softened, "I'm sorry if you wanted to stay." She whispered. But Biana and Keefe nodded in understanding.

"It's fine; we want to make sure everyone stays safe. What do you want from us?" Keefe asked.

"Stay low, blend in with the elves, pretend like you never have even seen Inalia, or spent time here. They will already keep an eye on you, Biana, since Alden has recollected his memories from Inalia, and I am sure the Council has figured it out by now. They are going to keep an eye on him because of that." Mansi piped up.

"Okay... how can we get back into the Lost Cities without the Council learning where we have been?" Biana asked.

"Leave that to us. The only thing that you need to do is stay low, maybe listen to some elven gossip, keep us updated. We will keep you guys in the loop, though, don't worry, " Sophie smiled at Keefe and Biana, "I'm not deserting you guys again." She chuckled. Keefe and Biana let out a breath, and they nodded, glancing out of the strategy room and staring at the setting sun.

Sophie swallowed as she says, "We need to bring you guys back now,"

Keefe and Biana's eyes darkened, but they strained a smile. Sophie wasn't convinced. She walked over to both of them, wrapping her arms around them.

The Council glared at Alden, Della, Grady, and Edaline, the halls of Everglen silent around the confrontation.

Biana and Keefe were still in Inalia. Tam knew that. He knew that Sophie would keep them safe no matter what. She and her entire guild, because that's what they are based around—undying loyalty and protection for those who need it. But there was no word from them, no small signal to tell the awaiting elves if they were safe.

The Council demanded to know where Biana and Keefe were; they noticed they registry pendants weren't working correctly and came over quickly to investigate.

Sunset was warming the now empty Everglen estate, all of the elves safely returned to their homes. At least, the ones who weren't destroyed by the battle.

"Edaline, we understand your concern, but please, we have every right to be suspicious of you all." Councilor Bronte groaned.

"Why is that?" Linh snapped.

"Well, by now Alden you have figured out your relationship with those... murdering brutes-"

"Cyevan Guild." Alden corrected, clearly not letting them insult the Vatarians wildly.

"Yes, and... you all were Sophie Foster's main team when she was undercover in our Cities. We have to remain vigilant around possible traitors."

Tam saw red when the councilors spat her name. They were acting like Sophie and the Vatarians were out to kill them, a race of evil monsters coming to destroy their perfect world. Undercover, like she was a secret spy?

"My daughter is not coming to destroy the Lost Cities; she is here to help!" Grady snapped, stepping forward

Tam was sure he wasn't the only one who heard it.

Grady called Sophie his daughter, even after all of this. He wasn't angry at her; he proudly called her his daughter.

The Council was taken aback. Councilor Oralie stepped forward, trying to diffuse the situation, but Alina stepped forward first.

"That woman isn't your daughter." Alina snapped.

Grady and Edaline clenched their jaws.

"That wasn't Sophie Foster, the girl who came from the Forbidden Cities, the precious little Moonlark-"

Edaline surged forward, "That is Amalia Hera Morretti, a powerful woman who is confident in herself and her family from both sides of her life. She has built her skills and powers specifically to help people feel safe and secure in this world. And damn it, she will ALWAYS be my daughter." Edaline lectured, her face right up in Councilor Alina's.

"She nearly killed me!"

"You slapped her brother! It was self-defense and protecting her family!" Edaline countered.

The Council went quiet.

"How did you know that he was her brother?" Councilor Darek asked, stepping forward. Edaline's eyes still blazed, but Tam didn't miss the flash of panic over her and Grady's eyes.

Did they somehow meet Sophie and her brother?

"I told them," Alden said, stepping forward.

"You told them?"

"I remembered the memories you stole from me, Councilors. I would know that man anywhere. You slapped her brother, I told everyone after the battle, and everything settled down. Besides, the man announced himself as her brother when he was... uh, lecturing you." Alden confirmed, even though he had no idea how Grady and Edaline knew.

Alina bit her cheek, glaring at Edaline and Grady, still suspicious. Her face was still somewhat red from where Sophie shoved her screeching head into the gravel, but no cuts or scratches.

"Mr. and Mrs. Vacker, I'm going to ask you one more time- where are Biana Vacker and Keefe Sencen-"

"What's going on down there?" A voice called out from the staircase. To everyone's surprise, Biana skipped down the stairs, her short flowing elven dress flittering around her. Her hair was pulled up in a high ponytail, full of big bouncy curls. She looked like she never left.

Everyone's jaws dropped.

How the hell did she get here?

"We were just inquiring where you were, Ms. Vacker..." Councilor Oralie shyly admitted.

"Oh, I have been with the elves that were displaced by the battle. Down by the park?"

Councilor Alina straightened herself up, backing away from the Ruewens.

"We have come because your and Mr. Sencen's registry pendants feed has jammed, and we have come to investigate." Councilor Alina said kindly. Biana puckered out her lip, as if she had no idea what the Councilor was talking about.

"What's up, Vacker family- Woah, what happened here?!" A familiar voice called from the front doors. Everyone whipped their heads around, their jaws dropping even further when Keefe casually walked into the room.

"They-they... thought you were gone," Dex admitted, still slightly bewildered. Keefe looked confusingly at Biana, perfectly selling the illusion that they had no idea.

"Both you and Ms. Vacker's registry pendants were inactive for a while." Councilor Bronte sighed, tired of explaining it over and over

Keefe snapped his fingers, pointing them as he shuffled into his pocket.

"I've meant to ask you about that, actually!" He held out his registry pendant. It hung limply in his hands, and the crystal in the middle was cracked beyond repair.

"It got damaged in the battle when I was running into Everglen. I didn't notice it until I went home to change my clothes and check up on my dad." Keefe said plainly. That is when everyone knew he was lying, except for the Council.

One, because those were the same clothes he had when they tried to steal the Book of Mirthless.

Two, Keefe hates his dad.

"Oh, I see..." Councilor Oralie nodded in understanding.

"Maybe that is what happened to you, Biana?" Keefe asked. Biana made the spectacular performance of taking her registry pendant off her neck and gaping at the big crack going through the crystal.

"I didn't even notice that!" Biana gasped.

The Councilors still looked suspicious. They started towards Biana, and Tam started towards her as well, trying to stop them, but a new voice cut in.

"No need Councilors, I saw them both!" Stina's voice cut in. Dex physically groaned, but Tam kicked him, shutting him up. Linh froze up when she saw Stina, flashing back to when she caught her and Jackson in the park. Tam inched towards his sister, just reminding her that he was there to help if she needed it.

"Ms. Heks, what are you doing here?" Councilor Ramira asked, stepping forward.

"I've come to tell you that I think the Neverseen broke into my family shop." Stina Heks said, checking the cuticles on her right hand.

"What?! The Neverseen broke into shops as well?!" Councilor Bronte gaped.

"Yeah, nothing was stolen. Just a couple of clothes, including my favorite blazer." Stina sighed. Keefe looked anywhere but Stina, awkwardly shuffling his feet.

Tam had a feeling Keefe was at least somewhat responsible.

"Where are your parents?" Councilor Oralie asked.

"They are at the shop."

The Councilors look over the group one last time, before excusing themselves and rushing out of Everglen. Oralie glanced at Grady and Edaline, but glanced away before anyone could say anything. Stina watched them go and then turned to everyone.

"So, Keefe, why did you break into our shop?" Stina asked nonchalantly. Everyone froze.

Keefe's eyes went wide, and he desperately looked at them for help. It clicked in everyone's mind.

She covered for Biana and Keefe in front of the Council.

No one had an answer.

"I, uh-"

"And who was the one with you? He made you look just like my dad and me?"

With that, Alden stepped forward.

"Nour? You broke into the Heks's shop with Nour?" Alden asked. Keefe sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"It is complex..." Keefe sighed. Biana came fully down the stairs, letting out the breath she was holding with the Councilors around.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait... I need some fricking details, please?! Where the heck have you guys been? When did you arrive?!" Dex called out, holding his hands up. Keefe and Biana opened their mouths to explain, but then glanced at Stina.

Stina quickly gathered that she wasn't entirely welcome, and she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I just came to say that I deleted the footage capturing you in my store." Stina snapped at Keefe. Everyone blinked.

"Wait. Why?" Tam asked.

Stina glared at all of them before she simply said, "I didn't like Sophie, that is no secret. But I know that all the things they are saying about her?" Stina sighed, looking away, "They are wrong. She is fighting for the little guys; the left behind." Stina looked at Dex when she said, "My father faked an ability just to be able to feel like he belonged." Stina straightened her back, the ice returning to her eyes.

"But, whatever. Don't do it again, you hear me?" Stina snapped, pointing her perfectly manicured finger at Keefe. Keefe quickly nodded. Stina's eyes glanced over Linh, who shriveled.

Stina sucked in a breath, but she rummaged in her pockets, pulling out a small folded note. Tam shuffled in front of his sister as she neared, his fists clenching.

"Calm down, loser; I'm just giving her a note." Stina snapped at Tam, holding out the note. Tam glared at her, acutely aware of Biana, who suddenly shifted next to him. But Linh sidestepped both of them, gently grasping the letter from Stina's hands. Stina didn't wait for Linh to open it, she strided out of Everglen quickly and quietly. But right as she was about to leave, she turned to all of them.

"Tell her I say thank you since nobody else will," Stina muttered before holding her home crystal to the light and disappearing in a beam of light.

Tell her I say thank you.

Tam met Biana's eyes, knowing they were thinking the same thing.

"Okay, we will talk about that later," Della looked at Keefe and Biana.

"Where have you two been?" She snapped. Biana and Keefe made eye contact as Keefe closed the doors behind Stina.

Biana quickly motioned everyone farther into the house, where fewer people were likely to hear them, Keefe right behind her.

"The Neverseen have found Inalia." Biana breathed once they were safe enough away. Keefe and Biana met eyes before taking the time to tell their separate stories.

Biana explained how Vespera broke out, attacking the Guildhall nursery, and activating the homing beacon, while Keefe explained breaking into Foxfire, the altercation on the top of the Pyramid, the ending of the fight, and them both staying in Inalia for an extra night.

"The Neverseen have really found Inalia?" Della breathed.

Biana nodded, looking aside, tears staining her eyes.

"The Senate has been alerted, but Sophie said their reaction was fairly... mild. But no moves have been made against Inalia or any of the other Vatarian cities, but Inalia was the only one who had their location compromised.

"What happened to Gisela?" Tam asked.

"I left her behind for the Council to find, right in the middle of Foxfire," Keefe's eyes darkened, "Hopefully, they lock her up for the rest of her days." He muttered to himself.

He moved on before anyone could say anything more about it, "But it is obvious what we have to do." He started, looking at Biana.

"We need to pretend we know nothing about Sophie or the Assassins; we have to pretend we hate the Vatarians just like everyone else does. Keeping the Council off our backs is the best way we can help right now."

"Where is Sophie now?"

"The Vatarians are holding a secret meeting in Egypitnat since Inalia has been compromised. She has been asked to join." Biana explained.

Everyone was quiet, and Dex piped up, "What about Mr. Forkle and the Black Swan?" Dex asked, thinking of his mother.

Keefe and Biana blinked.

"I don't think they should know about any of this, Dex," Biana whispered.

This was all strictly between them.

"Do you guys know where Leto went?" Fitz asked.

"Maybe he went home to Inalia?"

"Won't the Council be suspicious when the Foxfire principle disappears?" Tam argued.

"We just have to hold up our side of the plan. Stay quiet, blend in; there is nothing more that we can do." Biana argued.

Alden and Della loosed a breathe and looked between them all.

"Okay, we stay on the down-low. Let's use Everglen as a home base, just for right now. It is the best thing we can do to keep Inalia and Sophie safe for right now. Go home, pretend like everything is fine, and focus on helping your families." Della decided. It was quiet as everyone broke apart, trying to sneak out of Everglen just as the sun dipped behind the horizon.

Linh and Tam were one of the last to leave, planning on heading towards Tiergan's house. Just as Tam left the thresh hold of Everglen's front doors, he glanced at Biana, remembering the story she recounted.

"It isn't your fault, you know. You saved those kids' lives." He muttered to Biana. Biana's eyes flared in alarm, but Tam just tugged on his bangs as he ran after Linh.

Edaline and Grady finally wrassled Verdi to sleep for the night. She has been extra rough ever since Sophie left, and often needed extra care to go down for the night. They returned into Havenfield late at night, started a fire, and whispered amongst themselves, worrying about the future of the Lost Cities along with the role of Dunmer and Vatarians. Iggy, now an old man of an imp, was passed out on the fluffy blanket on the couch, loudly snoring.

But then he snapped to attention suddenly, the imp's loud snoring turning into snarling at the front doors.

Edaline and Grady froze, Edaline holding onto her husband's forearm, glaring out of the window where Iggy was viciously snarling.

Heading towards the front doors of Havenfield, two hooded figures were slowly approaching. Edaline's hand drifted towards her panic ring, ready to turn it on and run at a moment's notice.

The figures knocked at the door, but Grady and Edaline didn't move.

"Could it be Sophie?" Grady whispered.

"She would never be in the open like this-"

"Grady? Edaline?" A voice called out from the other side of the door, a voice the recognized. They both loosened up, Grady grumbling "That boy..." as Edaline opened the door, revealing Keefe and Ro waiting in the door.

"Keefe! Come inside; it must be freezing out there." Edaline exclaimed, moving aside to let him inside. Ro and Keefe knocked off their boots at the door, apologizing as he walked inside the Havenfield mansion.

"Why are you coming this late-"

"Because he is stupid stubborn, that is why." Ro snapped, clearly upset about being about this late at night.

Keefe pulled down his hood, "Its because I have an idea," He glanced out the windows, making sure no one was listening in, "And I need your help." He breathed.

Leto remained in Maria's boutique for hours, recounting his side of the story. He brushed over the memory of his death, going over what had happened to him and Amalia during their daring escape. Leto talked about how he took refuge in the Black Swan, making up some BS story about how he 'found this random girl he had never seen before dying, and they needed to help her right away.' He recounted how he and Amalia took refuge in the Lost Cities for years. He knew Amalia probably told them both this story, but it just filled in the gaps with his side of the story.

"Leto, you are avoiding it," Maria whispered.

"Avoiding what?"

"You say you died," Filomena replied plainly.

Leto wanted to open his mouth, to have an answer for them, but nothing came out. It wasn't something he just... remembered. It was like a wisp of a memory combined with his logic that made him come to that conclusion—wisps he had to drag back together to create something tangible out of it all.

But he knew one thing. He and Amalia shouldn't have survived that night.

There were Neverseen crawling everywhere, Amalia was screaming and hyperventilating into his chest. They weren't quiet; they desperate. There was nowhere in Inalia for them anymore.

It was cutting in and out as he tried to remember it.

They were on the borders of Inalia, about to breach the mountains surrounding Inalia. Amalia was shaking in his arms, pale and not fully conscious.

His mind was scattered as he raced through the groves of trees, pushing the horse faster and faster, branches scraping him as he desperately tucked Amalia into his chest.

He heard the racing of Neverseen feet and horses as they were almost out of Inalia. They were on the gravel roads, the wooden signs pointing to the different locations around Inalia, but Leto wasn't heading towards a specific one of them, he just needed to go. Maybe there was a small farm or Inn around here that sympathized with the Assassins and would be able to hide them for a bit.

"Continua a respirare, Candessa, devi continuare a respirare per me." Keep breathing, Candessa, you need to keep breathing for me, Leto whispered to Amalia, his own hands shaking. Amalia was in a deep state of shock, one where breathing and moving were nearly impossible. He couldn't keep going like this, with the dying girl in his arms and his exhausted horse-

"Aim for the legs!" The Neverseen head soldier roared from the trees. Leto couldn't react fast enough as swarms of light and fire blasted at his horse. The horse bucked he and Sophie off, screeching in pain. Leto curled himself around Amalia as they hit the ground, feeling his collarbone, shoulder, and right arm crack. Leto roared with pain, forcing himself onto his feet, shifting Amalia to his functioning arm. 

But he was tired, completely out of power, and injured, so when he heard the soldiers cry as they ran out from their ambushing spots, their swords and powers glinting and roaring in the blood-red sky, that it wasn't going to be so simple. He started to map everything out, who was coming from where, what weapons they were holding. Amalia shivered in his arms, whispering something as she gazed up and over his shoulder.

And let out a blood-curdling scream that shattered his ear drum as an ax was brought down on Leto's back, the Neverseen soldier swinging it with a sinister grin. 

Leto dropped, Amalia plummeting with him as their bodies rolled down the side of the road, into the dirty gravel ditch awaiting them. More bones snapped, flesh ripped, blood spewed as their bodies slowed. Leto turned his head, the only thing he had control of, to glance at Amalia.

Her lifeless eyes were staring at the sky, blood coming from every part of her body, her nose, her head, her mouth, everywhere.

Just earlier that day, she was playing in the Villa's courtyard with her brother.

And now, Amalia Hera Morretti's still chest and lifeless face gazed up at the blood-soaked clouds.

Her eyes lost their spectacular golden glow, a dull black seeping into the brown irises in their place. Her fingers were loose, and palms were facing the sky, her lips separated as if she wished to whisper something in her death.

The only thing that came out of her mouth was blood.

Leto turned to the sky, his neck turning fully numb as his vision dimmed. And as his body almost entirely shut down, he whispered, "I'm sorry."

And that was it.

It wasn't booming shock; it wasn't a bright white light.

Just numb.

And then he heard her voice, "Took you two long enough to drop dead; I was getting impatient." The godly voice whispered.

Leto's head snapped up, coming back to reality with Maria and Filomena sitting in front of him, their faces worried.

"Kynareth..." He whispered.

Tears dripped down his cheeks.

"Kynareth? Kynareth has something to do with your death?" Maria breathed.

When he muttered her name, more like spat it, and it was like a sudden rush of ice caressed his throat; the moon and night filled his lungs. He gripped his head as a throbbing head rung through his head. Maria and Filomena sprung from their chairs, repeating his name.

"Huh, you figured it out on your own! I practically had to feed it to Amalia." Kynareth's voice echoed in his head.

Leto groaned, his hand twitching against the side of his head. Maria was at his side, yelling at her wife to grab some ice.

"Go get her." Kynareth snapped.

And then she was gone.

Leto was panting, sprawled out on one of Maria's sofas. He looked up at Maria.

"Where is she?"

"A-Amalia?"

"Where is she?!" Leto demanded.

"I think she left for Egypitnat with the Inner Circle already."

Leto shakily got up to his feet, "We have to go after her."

"Why?" Filomena asked.

Leto finally looked up, "Kynareth is getting impatient."

Sophie, Ruy, and Alexios snuck through the open window above the altar in Mara's temple that was in the middle of the Prayer District in Egypitnat. Sophie and Alexios easily hopped through the window and clung to the wall scaffoldings and decor, but Ruy couldn't efficiently fit through with the massive wings on his back.

"You can't avoid him for the rest of your life. Seriously, dude, just talk to your dad about this stuff." Alexios whispered as Ruy awkwardly stumbled.

"I would rather gag myself." Ruy slumped down onto the tiled rooftop,

"I'll keep watch up here," He admitted. Alexios rolled his eyes, "You would rather sit on the roof in the middle of the night and be stubborn and bored then go to your father and learn how to fly, or even just put the wings away? Are you really that petty?" Alexios snapped.

Sophie snorted, "Have you met Ruy?" She whispered.

"Yeah, I should've known better."

Ruy lazily stretched out his body, including the wings, as he propped his hands behind his head and smirked at them.

"Have fun, you two." He chuckled while waving them away, making it clear he wasn't moving.

Alexios glared at Sophie, "Lia, do something about him?" Alexios asked. Sophie rolled her eyes, glancing at Ruy.

"Ruy Ignis, as your commanding officer, I demand you come down here," Sophie said sternly.

Ruy folded his wings behind him, "No."

Sophie shrugged, "Well, I tried."

Sophie started to carefully climb into the rafters, masterfully parkouring high above the temple floor.

"Princey," Alexios jokingly spat.

Ruy just winked at him.

Alexios flipped him the bird as he followed his sister, his laughter echoing through the temple. Sophie and Alexios closed the window behind them as they grappled onto the scaffolding of the temple. Egyptinat styled sculptures depicting god and monster-like deities through Vatarain culture were almost as tall as the temple itself. The stained glass was only at the very top of the temple, at the bottom was darkness dimly lit by purse. 

The massive stained glass windows told the story of Mara, the goddess of love and beauty. Sophie was never a hopeless romantic, and though she was now aware that people considered her beautiful, she honestly didn't care much. Her brother was the same way; her father was the same way, Maria was the same way... it was just not something the Morretti family cared much about. Sophie wouldn't be those sorrowful girls, stating that they are so ugly and no one will love her, Sophie knew she was beautiful. But she knew the real use of beauty; it was never a blessing to flaunt or a burden to hate. It was a weapon to be wielded. People were often much more loose-tongued if they were talking to a pretty face, and in Sophie's line of work, it came in handy. But when people complimented her beauty, it just didn't seem like something real to her. She knew people were attractive, hell, the man she is in love with is one of the most handsome men she has ever seen. But that wasn't the part that she fell in love with.

When it came to Mara, Sophie preferred to see her as the goddess of love and warmth, the goddess you worship for a happy healthy household, not the goddess of sex and beauty.

Sophie and Alexios lounged on the upper beams of the temple, their soft voices echoing as they waited for Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe. The blueprints and Mirthless book were sitting in the backpack on Alexios back; triple checked to make sure nothing was pickpocketed on their way over. Fang Guanyu and Arsinoe never gave any time specified, so they were stuck with just waiting for them. The Morretti siblings lounged in the rafters, tossing around a red rubber ball as they passed the time.

"So," Alexios started, "I have been thinking," He proposed, tossing his sister the ball.

"Oh gods, be careful. Don't want you to hurt yourself." Sophie chuckled, tossing it back.

"Very funny. But, since we are in Egypitnat, I have to wonder. Avrima and Egypitnat are right next door to each other. Maha had her fathers in Avrima, and when she broke out of the Neverseen base all those years ago, she never contacted them to let them know she was safe. She never really talks about Avrima in all honesty, and I'm just wondering...." He sighed, throwing the ball back to Amalia, "Why did she not want to go to Avrima?"

Sophie shrugged, tossing it back "I don't know, Alexios. I haven't really asked." She admitted. An image flashed in Sophie's mind; one Kynareth forced in her head when she claimed her as her Heiress. It was of Maha in full Avriman garb, nothing Sophie had ever seen before. She didn't put much thought into it; she was taking the time to try to digest everything Kynareth gave from her, and took away from her.

"Maybe she is a Lost Princess!" Alexios gasped.

Sophie snorted, "Don't you think we would've heard about a lost Avriman Princess? And probably put it together by now before now? Besides, we already have a hidden lost royal, be happy for the one we already have." Sophie tossed the ball back.

"Meh, I feel like Maha would be a much better princess then Ruy is a Lost Prince." Alexios countered. They both glanced outside the window, where the shadow of Ruy could be seen as he awkwardly tried to flap his wings, before his right-wing shuttered a bit too fast and caused him to scramble to try to keep his balance.

"I guess I would have to agree with that-"

"I can hear you, just so you know!" Ruy hissed from outside, his voice somewhat distorted through the closed window.

Sophie cringed, a dorky smile on her cheeks as her brother called out, "I'm not wrong!" A smile on his cheeks.

"Prick." Ruy snapped back.

Sophie smiled at their interactions, biting her lip and chuckling to herself, looking at the moonlight shining through the stained glass, tainting the temple and statues with a menagerie of glowing warmth.

Mara's worship wasn't one of sitting down and prayer; it was shown through action. There were a few pillows scattered here and there for getting on your knees and praying if you wish. But the best way to provide your love for Mara was to build the temple of love and health. If you were in trouble, you could run into Mara's temple and claim sanctuary, and harm could not hurt you unless they wanted to invoke Mara's wrath. Or you could attend Mara's temple for free physician visits, contraceptive tonics, and more, and you could do it completely anonymous if need be.

Sophie never really sat down and prayed, even if Kynareth was clearly apparent in Sophie's life. Sophie always took fate into her own hands, never expecting or begging anyone else for it, god or not. Before she interacted with Kynareth, Sophie even had doubts about the gods' existence. Well, she had a harsh wake-up call about that.

But Mara's worship was one Sophie always loved. The practice of helping others and providing safety to those who need it most, that is what Sophie strived for in life. And even though Sophie would never, in her entire life, become a priestess if she had to become one. She would probably go with a Priestess of Mara. She knew that Kyanreth is probably writhing in her realm, knowing her own Heiress is picking another goddess over her, but again, Sophie couldn't care less about what Kynareth thought. Sophie's family and her very own guild worshipped Kynareth for years before her, using her as their guardian goddess. The being of night and blood and the moon, along with the sky.

Sophie hated that the goddess was even associated with something she held so close. Sophie glanced outside again, to the one open window where the warm Egypitnat night caused the moon to illuminate slightly brighter tonight. Or maybe it was Kynareth stalking her, Sophie didn't know anymore.

Alexios noticed Sophie go quiet, and he nudged her with his foot.

"Hey, what's going through your head?" He whispered warmly. Sophie jumped, wobbling slightly in a reminder that they were both propped on the rafters of a sacred temple maybe 150 feet above the polished sandstone floor.

"Oh, just... trying to sort things out." She admitted.

"And?" He pushed.

"And nothing, idioti. That's it." Sophie snapped.

Alexios snorted, "I have learned through lots of mistakes that when you make that face, it means you are trying put more together than just a little meeting. I won't judge you, what's up?" Alexios said warmly. Sophie bit her lip as the words nearly slipped her tongue. Her whole life, Alexios has always been at her side. Even with all of their squabbling and childish feuds, never once has he refused to help her. Sophie felt like she didn't deserve him as a brother, but even then, she was scared that she was going to leave them. What would he think if he found out about Kynareth and the Throat of the World? Maybe he would call her out for avoiding and procrastinating the wishes of a goddess, but Sophie knew he wasn't to keen on following orders as well. She also pondered how he would react if he learned about Sophie and Ruy's relationships. He seemed somewhat aware that there may be something going on between them, after he proposed it during the Battle of Foxfire, he seemed a bit more attentive.

Sophie just figured that if she told him the whole truth, he might run away. She figured this with everyone, even Ruy. Maybe that was why she was scared to tell him about Kynareth the night before, why he had to force it out of her. She was frightened to admit it to herself as well. Why she couldn't even look at her back, to look at Kynareth's scalding mark that she seared into Sophie's skin, pulling out the hand-inked tattoo Sophie got on the ship returning from Cariana.

Gods, it seemed like it was a lifetime ago when they were on that ship, celebrating another contract completed.

"Lia?" Alexios pushed. His caramel toned hair glinted in the moonlight, his swirling ocean blue irises realizing something was bothering her. It sometimes got under Sophie's skin, how her family could read her so easily.

"Something happened at Foxfire..."

"Yeah, I know. The hellish night and storms you busted out like they were nothing?" He chuckled. Sophie nodded, and though Alexios chuckled, Sophie was still looking at the temple around them, not meeting his eyes.

"I knew something was off, but I didn't want to push." Alexios shrugged, tossing the rubber ball between his hands.

"Just know... you don't need to keep secrets anymore. You aren't in the Lost Cities, hiding your crest and your powers. You're not in the Neverseen base anymore; we aren't torturing you for information. We are here for you, we always have and always will be." Alexios smiled. Sophie looked up to the sky, blinking away the tears she didn't know were rimming her eyes.

No pushing, no stern glares... just support. It was knowing that she will tell them when she is ready.

"Thanks, Alexios." She whispered. Her brother opened his mouth to respond, but they both stopped as they heard the back doors to the temple creak open. Sophie opened a mindscape between Alexios and Ruy, and Ruy's voice filled their heads, stern and informative.

"They are both here. Arsinoe has three heavily armed guards, two guarding the door, the other coming in with her. Fang Guanyu has five guards, and they are covering the perimeter, but two are coming in with him." He whispered. Right on Ruy's cue, Fang Guanyu and Queen Arsinoe quietly padded into the temple. Sophie and Alexios smirked at one another as they pulled up their hoods, and dropped from the rafters to meet their guests. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 85 40
Lizzie (LDShadowLady) and Joel (SmallishBeans) moved into a Boarding School as batchmates. They had always liked each other, but they never confessed...
31.4K 1.6K 41
After the loss and demise of their family business, Seo Y/N's family was confronted with financial difficulties. Her family was unable to pay for the...
58.7K 705 41
Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those inevitable feelings, drove Sophie away fro...
12K 580 14
in which Hyunjin finds a cute boy in a flower shop. === im a sucker for seungjin, deal with it. started: May 29, 2019 ended: May 18, 2020 *edited :)